Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-23-2011, 09:28 AM   #1141
Jason71
Brother to pirates and corsairs...
 
Jason71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Orlando
Posts: 2,152

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrdisney View Post
NO ONE wants to see another chain restaurant in Disney.
No one other than Disney management.
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:30 AM   #1142
DC7800
DIS Veteran
 
DC7800's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,536

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
No one other than Disney management.
Yes, but they're so far out of touch with what guests really want at Downtown Disney they can't see daylight.

Quote:
NO ONE wants to see another chain restaurant in Disney
In fairness, if Disney wants to bring back Goofy's Grill and make it a chain, I'm probaby fine with that.
DC7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-23-2011, 02:22 PM   #1143
jarrdisney
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
No one other than Disney management.
Yes, I should have clarified. They'll do anything to increase profit margins without doing something inventive.
jarrdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:57 AM   #1144
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,839

I had to go to DTD the other day to renew my TIW card (just happenstance). It's a horrible place. Why would anyone willingly spend anytime there other than to see La Neuba or a movie is beyond me.

The AC was one of a kind and should have been a model for future Disney entertainment. It surely could have been tweaked to give the profit stream they needed but instead ... (Everybody now) .. they got greedy. As Gomer Pyle (their target demographic would say) "Surprise, surprise, surprise."

Wouldn't you all like to know who the genius was that proposed closing AC and who the big shot was who approved it? I would.
Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:07 PM   #1145
anthony2k7
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pirate 2 View Post
Wouldn't you all like to know who the genius was that proposed closing AC and who the big shot was who approved it? I would.


nope, as far as I'm concerned, Kevin Lansberry is 100% to blame.
anthony2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:22 PM   #1146
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,839

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony2k7 View Post
nope, as far as I'm concerned, Kevin Lansberry is 100% to blame.
Did he have the clout? As DTD's "manager" perhaps it was his brainstorm?
Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:57 AM   #1147
Jason71
Brother to pirates and corsairs...
 
Jason71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Orlando
Posts: 2,152

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony2k7 View Post
nope, as far as I'm concerned, Kevin Lansberry is 100% to blame.
My understanding is that he was a huge cheerleader for converting PI to 3rd parties, but the ultimate decision came down from California (and the idea had been floated since at least 2000/2001).
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:38 AM   #1148
yitbos96bb
DIS Veteran
 
yitbos96bb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,608

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC7800 View Post
Yes, but they're so far out of touch with what guests really want at Downtown Disney they can't see daylight.



In fairness, if Disney wants to bring back Goofy's Grill and make it a chain, I'm probaby fine with that.
Isn't Citywalk a bunch of smaller chain restaurants or places run by Restaurant Groups? The goal is clearly to emulate that. Might work, might be terrible.
__________________
yitbos96bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:42 AM   #1149
yitbos96bb
DIS Veteran
 
yitbos96bb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,608

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYMickey View Post
Let's get some original restaurants instead of these stupid chains! Most of us have a Chili's and Taco Bell at home. We want something very different and unique when on vacation!
Some do (count me in that camp) but some want familiarity, especially those with picky young eaters. Some people just like that mediocre chain food... I mean heck, look at the popularity of a place like Rainforest Cafe and HOB on property... mediocre overpriced chain food and they get a ton of business.
__________________
yitbos96bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:59 AM   #1150
jarrdisney
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by yitbos96bb View Post
Some do (count me in that camp) but some want familiarity, especially those with picky young eaters. Some people just like that mediocre chain food... I mean heck, look at the popularity of a place like Rainforest Cafe and HOB on property... mediocre overpriced chain food and they get a ton of business.
I agree that the food is nothing to write home about at Rainforest Cafe. However, the themeing is what draws people, and I think that's more than enough to put them in another category away from Chili's and Applebee's.
jarrdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:27 PM   #1151
Big
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pirate 2 View Post
I had to go to DTD the other day to renew my TIW card (just happenstance). It's a horrible place. Why would anyone willingly spend anytime there other than to see La Neuba or a movie is beyond me.

The AC was one of a kind and should have been a model for future Disney entertainment. It surely could have been tweaked to give the profit stream they needed but instead ... (Everybody now) .. they got greedy. As Gomer Pyle (their target demographic would say) "Surprise, surprise, surprise."

Wouldn't you all like to know who the genius was that proposed closing AC and who the big shot was who approved it? I would.
Apart from the parking disaster, what about DTD is horrible?

I find it to be an extremely fun place to go when you don't want to go to a park and just hang out / people watch.

...and of course get a sundae at Ghiardellis
Big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:19 AM   #1152
Jason71
Brother to pirates and corsairs...
 
Jason71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Orlando
Posts: 2,152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big View Post
Apart from the parking disaster, what about DTD is horrible?
The row of empty buildings, one of which held the pinnacle of Disney Imagineering, and the rest of which were a lot of fun in their own right.

DisneyQuest has rotted away so much that it borders on "horrible" as well.
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:49 PM   #1153
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Orlando, Florida USA
Posts: 2,862

Rumor about Adventurers Club and Soundstage coming down within a few more weeks: www.savepleasureisland.blogspot.com

BobK/Orlando
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:42 PM   #1154
nytimez
Nihilist
 
nytimez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lacus Somniorum
Posts: 6,070

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big View Post
Apart from the parking disaster, what about DTD is horrible?
All of it.

DTD is now a glorified upscale strip mall.
__________________
nytimez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:26 PM   #1155
umichigan10
DIS Veteran
 
umichigan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,696

I feel in the middle about DTD. Yes, it's a nice place to escape the stress and huge crowds of a park. But I also haven't been there in a few years since my family just doesn't see the big deal about going out of our way to go there unless we're able to take the boat from our hotel. Bottom line, DTD could be so much better, but Disney insists on taking things away like the AC and letting DTD stay average to below Disney standard depending on who you ask.
umichigan10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: