Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2010, 10:09 AM   #1036
gemstone1952
Earning My Ears

So places to eat, an expanded movie theater, some street performers, and when nightfalls, they will turn on the lights so we won't have to walk around in the dark? Sounds like excitement to me! Can't wait.
gemstone1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:43 AM   #1037
Timmy Boy
Choose Thy Fate

Meh, it's better than what they have now. Maybe the restaurant choices will improve.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-18-2010, 11:04 AM   #1038
OldsDr
Mouseketeer

What is really irrritating is reading the comments on that link to Hyperion Warf.

someone said something alonmg the lines of "PI was always so dead even a couple of weeks befor it closed"

PI was dying, I noticed it. But it was not a natural death it was being murdered. It started when there was no longer outdoor entertainment, Remeber the DJ who played dance music right on the street. Gone one of the first nails in the coffin. No more stage center island , one more nail. Lets have people walk right on and then make it inconvienient for people to have to show their ID and ticket at every club. When we switch from length of stay passes to MYW, lets not allow people to go everynight if they also want to go to a waterpark and Disneyquest(especially when MYW first came out and a 7 day park ticket only got 5 WP&Mvisits).

Miss-management killed PI. Now they only have to manage leases.
OldsDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:00 PM   #1039
anthony2k7
DIS Veteran

as someone commented on the disney site, this new water front theme sounds very like the boardwalk.

Did they forget they already had an area with that theme!? or worse, does this mean they're planning on messing up the boardwalk as well at some point in the future?

anthony2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:05 PM   #1040
anthony2k7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy Boy View Post
Meh, it's better than what they have now. Maybe the restaurant choices will improve.
doubt it, I expect more landry owned restaurants with similar average at best food.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:19 PM   #1041
anthony2k7
DIS Veteran

not sure if you americans have the phrase "its a white wash", but the comments on that disney page are well and truely a white wash!

"Pretty exciting, huh? Let us know what are you most looking forward to."

Adventurers club returning basically. almost every comment is about AC! If this was the big announcement of their bold new vision for PI, then its a clear epic fail if AC isnt brought back after all those comments.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:19 PM   #1042
Luv2Roam
Dexter: Takes Life. Seriously.

More of the same ol same ol snooze fest.
Luv2Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:26 PM   #1043
DOPEY44
Earning My Ears

Booooooooo!!!!!!

What a bunch of crap!! All Downtown Disney will become is shopping.
Really miss the night life and the midnight show.
It was so festive being outside, having a drink, then going into a club.
The Adventures's club was the best, a themed club. Disney should have continued that idea, maybe a western club, or the club that was in Star Wars with Java the Hut.
I wonder if the Raglan Road will stay.
Disney must not make enough money in alcohol.
DOPEY44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:04 PM   #1044
WDW_lover_in_SC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOPEY44 View Post
What a bunch of crap!! All Downtown Disney will become is shopping.
Really miss the night life and the midnight show.
It was so festive being outside, having a drink, then going into a club.
The Adventures's club was the best, a themed club. Disney should have continued that idea, maybe a western club, or the club that was in Star Wars with Java the Hut.
I wonder if the Raglan Road will stay.
Disney must not make enough money in alcohol.

I believe Disney is more concerned about losing money from parents who don't want to bring their children around alcohol. Not the loss or gain of profit on the alcohol it's self.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:26 PM   #1045
Luv2Roam
Dexter: Takes Life. Seriously.

If that were truly the case (parents w/children) one would think there would be more alcohol intake restrictions elsewhere on property. Try not to see someone at F&W over indulged. It's bound to happen.

I see in this article:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-d...,2869804.story
even someone who knows the the local industry is scratchin' his head and "underwhelmed".

Quote:
Scott Smith, a professor in the University of Central Florida's Rosen College of Hospitality Management, said he was perplexed by the announcement.
"You have such a prime piece of real estate there, and Disney is a company that specializes in doing things unique and really wowing people," Smith said. "Then when I read what the plans are for Pleasure Island, I was underwhelmed."
Luv2Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:57 PM   #1046
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Today's announcement did not mention any specific names of shops or restaurants that were coming to Pleasure Island....er, I mean Hyperion Wharf.

The Mahogany Bay Restaurant (or whatever final name it takes) and the nautical theme and tons of lighting were leaked a few weeks ago on my Blog. I've previously posted some of the other likely concepts. We can see in the concept art that Harley Davidson Store is apparently moving out and I've heard the Ridemakerz store is moving in. No mention whether that lighthouse restaurant/bar is coming because the concept art did not point in that direction. So we need to await more specific announcements before passing judgment.

BobK/Orlando
www.savepleasureisland.blogspot.com
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:14 PM   #1047
MJMcBride
Barely lost is barely found

its not bad

better than empty space

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom
MJMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:24 AM   #1048
Figment632
DIS Veteran

http://www.discussionkingdom.com/for...ead.php?t=1050

Here is a link to some of the art.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:53 AM   #1049
jerivera
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW_lover_in_SC View Post
I believe Disney is more concerned about losing money from parents who don't want to bring their children around alcohol. Not the loss or gain of profit on the alcohol it's self.
I agree. My guess is that not only was attendance low, but there likely were some alcohol related incidents that Disney did not want to be liable for.

I don't really like DTD now that it's just mediocre restaurants & shopping. But not sure that "nightlife + alcohol + partying" was ever a good mix for Disney.

Remember we're talking about a place that people sue for pretty much any imaginable reason.

Or imagine the papers if someone got drunk, left and killed a family of 6 in a car crash, and they blamed PI drinking.

I realize a lot of people liked it, but maybe you need to look elsewhere for the parties & booze.

jerivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:30 AM   #1050
TisBit
DIS Veteran

I don't think that disney has an issue with the alcohol in any sense, but there was a LOT of people that disliked having to walk through pleasure island to get to West Side with all the bars/clubs, etc. I don't think there were any specific alcohol incidents that made disney pull the plub on PI, but rather as they developed West Side it caused a problem with PI in the middle.

Truthfully, night clubs are not a big draw anymore. The newest thing is for the bars/restaurant/club theme like house of blues. They create more profit for the establishment and are more multi functional, better than closing the doors until 8 pm, they can sell lunch, etc.

The only real losses from PI are the Comedy Club and Adventurers Club...unfortunately I don't see either of these locations really working out in the long term. A new Comedy Club could work, but more revamped than the last with maybe two shows a night, similar to what they do in Vegas might work out but at a high price in order to pay the bills. The show would need to run like two hours. As for AC, I don't seem people wanting to pay a cover just to go in and out.....AC was very small, which added to its mystique....a stand alone location without the rest of PI, I am not sure it would stay busy.
TisBit is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: