Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2010, 06:43 PM   #976
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluLovesDisney View Post
I wonder what would have happened if they would have never opened PI for free admission and kept with the pay to play rule.
If they had left the Island gated:

1) The feeling of being in an exclusive entertainment venue would have remained.
2) Parents with kids would not have complained about seeing adults with alcoholic drinks in their hands.
3) Teens would not have congregated.
4) They would not have had to tear down both stages and eliminate free entertainment.
5) A little investment back into the product and advertising would have kept the 18-year old model successfully operational into the future.
6) PI would be alive and kicking today, earning income for its owner.

BobK/Orlando
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:51 PM   #977
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder

I took a stroll through PI last night. There was a live band/group playing 70s tunes in Celebration Plaza.

Motion was used for an event again. There were tables all over. No changes inside 8-trax. The roof of mannequins just around the corner behind the main PI DTD map area has been repainted, as has the big garage door on the back side.

While I actually enjoyed the group that was playing, it made me think....

1. They had entertainment on a stage built specifically for that reason. The entertainment was to liven up an entertainment complex
2. tore down stage
3. closed entertainment complex
4. added group performing on the street(not a stage)to bring entertainment to....a closed entertainment complex.

Don't ya just LOVE TDO's thought process? Kill the entertainment, close the complex, then bring back entertainment? sigh...they never learn.

zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-20-2010, 01:59 PM   #978
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulemara View Post
Don't ya just LOVE TDO's thought process? Kill the entertainment, close the complex, then bring back entertainment? sigh...they never learn.
I often wonder how DTD management stays in place, the botching has been going on for years.

1) Let's build a shopping district on the other side of PI! Oh wait, people don't like walking around PI to go to the other shopping district.
2) Let's open up PI passage to everyone! Oh wait, people now complain about people partying on PI!
3) Let's close all the clubs at PI and put MORE shops and restaurants that people don't need. Oh wait, nobody wants to put up the money for more shops and restaurants.
4) Let's pretend that there is still a PI!

Duh...how these people were not fired over all this is beyond me. There is no way that DTD is more profitable than it was 2 years ago.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:18 AM   #979
OldsDr
DIS Veteran

I also think it had something to do with going from length of stay passes with unlimited entries into PI and DQ to magic your way limited entries. Especially when they first started MYW I think on a 7 day ticket you only got 5 entries. With unlimited entries my Brother and I would go to DQ until 11:30 or so and then head to Adventures club or Rock n Roll Beach club almost every night of the trip. We would buy beer or Buckets. When they limited the entries and our normal routine would cost 2 points off of the MYW ticket we could no longer go every night without paying extra (which I refused to do since I was so used to the old way)

This had to be the case with many other visitors who now could not go to PI every night of their stay if they also went to DQ or a water park.

Most of their revenue had to be from drinks so this probably signifcantly reduce the number of drink sales (Alcohol and non-alcohol)
OldsDr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:31 PM   #980
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Last Chance To Save Pleasure Island

For those of you who are fans of Pleasure Island, there is a tiny amount of hope that the new Disney Chairman Tom Staggs might listen to reason and consider reopening some of the old clubs.

Although things are still bleak, we've begun a letter-writing/email campaign to Mr. Staggs. If you're interested in supporting this idea, see the Tuesday & Monday articles on the subject at:

http://savepleasureisland.blogspot.c...ve-island.html

Your support would be greatly appreciated.
It's really now or never.

BobK/Orlando

Last edited by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH; 08-06-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:27 PM   #981
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

The outdoor furniture is in, it's arranged in a semi-circle and live entertainment will perform in the middle. It appears that the Pleasure Island ultra-lounge is in business! I've posted photos on the Save PI Blog!

www.savepleasureisland.blogspot.com

BobK/Orlando
Old 08-11-2010, 10:14 AM   #982
patsal
I've discovered I don't need to be a control freak...and like it!

What a sad walk through we had. The new furniture looks like they resurrected the old furniture from CSR's lounge area. We had excessive time on our hands at the end of the night to go to Universal City Walk and wish WDW had an adult area for fun!
Old 08-14-2010, 06:50 PM   #983
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Someone posting on another website reports scaffolding inside the Adventurers Club last week with some artifacts being reinstalled ON TO the walls! I've not confirmed anything.

BobK/Orlando
Old 08-14-2010, 10:34 PM   #984
BamaEd1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulemara View Post
I'm sorry....who/what is TDO?
Old 08-14-2010, 11:05 PM   #985
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaEd1 View Post
I'm sorry....who/what is TDO?
Team Disney Orlando, the management for WDW specifically. TDA is for Anaheim the Disneyland Resort. Over both is the Parks division of Disney in Burbank, CA at Disney headquarters.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:50 PM   #986
Maistre Gracey
Still trying to figure out the mystery of the 'Downy Ball' and the Tag Fairies??!!
Kevin Bacon looks just like me<

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH View Post
Someone posting on another website reports scaffolding inside the Adventurers Club last week with some artifacts being reinstalled ON TO the walls! I've not confirmed anything.

BobK/Orlando
Wow... If true that would be huge.

I just hope it's artifacts, not blasting caps.

MG

Maistre Gracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:39 AM   #987
jfinke
DIS Veteran

It has been a while since I have visited this thread and it still ticks me off what they did to PI.

Looks like they are still in treading water mode with nothing done in the last year or so, is that correct?
jfinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:24 PM   #988
WalkonPooh
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH View Post

BobK/Orlando
Oh man, that would be so awesome if that ends up happening. I didn't go (in spite of my better judgment) on my last trip and have regretted that ever since!

My Wonderful Fiancee's PTR!
WalkonPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:29 PM   #989
patsal
I've discovered I don't need to be a control freak...and like it!

Well, if they indeed reopen PI, than I can buy more DVC points, but I've held fast on not purchasing more until I get the full vacation experience I was used to before closing AC and reallocating the points.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:21 PM   #990
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Well I was out there last night and did not see anything new on the walls. But it was dark and I could only see straight in. The yakoose is still on the wall and the chandelier is still hanging. I saw nothing else.

BobK/Orlando

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: