Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2009, 05:08 PM   #571
DC7800
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
Another aspect to the rumor is that McDonalds is to close
So there is at least one kernel of good news? About time.
DC7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:29 PM   #572
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitros View Post
OK, I'm confused. What do you mean by most of the Beach Club is given over to patio seating?
Mitros, the lighthouse building will not take up that much space itself. The rest of that vast space where the RRBC building sits would, if this rumor is true, consist of tables and chairs to be used by those who ordered food or drinks from the take out windows.

Quote:
As the guy who posted on the other board....
Jason71, I was wondering whether you and 71Jason were the same people. Had I known, I would have attributed the rumor to you. Appreciate you sharing the information.

BobK/Orlando
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-20-2009, 10:16 PM   #573
TSR6
CT

Quote:
Realistically, the AC has such an odd design...the open Salon, two side rooms not really big enough for restaurant seating, secret tunnels...that you couldn't easily use it for anything other than an interactive comedy club. Plus it's not set up to allow waterfront dining. If the Club goes, no reason for that building to stay up.
I miss the kitchen that was open in the '04-'05 range that would be open once every couple of days. You know, when the chef didnt call in sick..lol..
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:32 AM   #574
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Rumors continue out on the Island about Mannequins & 8TRAX reopening, possibly as early as October. Latest rumor includes AC reopening but of course that goes against the prior rumor that all the waterfront clubs were meeting the wrecking ball soon.

Where there's rumors, there's hope!

BobK/Orlando
Old 08-23-2009, 10:48 AM   #575
Scurvy
Kungaloosh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH View Post
Rumors continue out on the Island about Mannequins & 8TRAX reopening, possibly as early as October. Latest rumor includes AC reopening but of course that goes against the prior rumor that all the waterfront clubs were meeting the wrecking ball soon.

Where there's rumors, there's hope!

BobK/Orlando
Oh, I wish this would be true!

I think until the bulldozers come through (or until the relics are taken from the Adventurers Club) there's still hope. Someone could still change their minds and decide to give the clubs another chance. I don't really think it will happen, but I would be thrilled if it did. And I guess even if the clubs are demolished, someone could always decide to rebuild and reopen them.

Still, I was just thinking last night that I will be heartbroken when the Adventurers Club is gone - so it's nice to hear a positive rumor today. Thanks, BobK!
Old 08-23-2009, 10:56 AM   #576
rpmdfw
I feel similarly about the cha-cha, electric slide, and mambo #5
Bridezilla, Groomzilla and Gayzilla all rolled into one

We were at Downtown Disney a little over a week ago (had to spend the birthday giftcard and figured why not get the AP discont at World of Disney . . . )

It REALLY bummed me out. The Adventurers Club had become a birthday tradition for us, so I was missing it anyway. And we hadn't been back to Pleasure Island since the wedding (the day after the club closed) But walking through and seeing the place empty was so sad.

Made me sick to my stomach. I can't imagine how it'd feel if they tear it down.
rpmdfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:28 PM   #577
patsal
I've discovered I don't need to be a control freak...and like it!

All I can share is that it was one boring 2 week vacation with nothing to do during the later evenings. I'm not even sure I want to do another 2 week vacation without something reopening. We were tossing around the idea of City Walk maybe for next year as an alternative. It is just so sad there.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:08 PM   #578
stitchineeyore
Mouseketeer

Our whole family agrees! Our oldest son has no interest in going back to WDW. We were premium annual passholders for years, but downgraded to regular APs due to the closing of PI. We all loved the Comedy and Adventurer's Clubs. Our kids are 21 and 27, and we could all enjoy some great entertainment together there. Hope these rumors are true!

stitchineeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:36 AM   #579
anthony2k7
DIS Veteran

Ok I know most people will claim to dislike mcdonalds - but surely by closing their DTD site that would be yet another less reason for many people to go there?

I'm sure the bean counters at Disney have come up with the fairly simplistic thought that "Hey McDonalds is so popular, but they pay us so little rent... what if they weren't there anymore and we opened our own burger place there?" But in reality a no name burger restaurant with at best average food wont make people go out of their way to visit DTD as much as people would for a known dependable place like mcdonalds.

It was bad enough when DTD was losing the best reasons for people to visit. But now its getting to the point where there is NO reason for people to visit DTD.
anthony2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:49 PM   #580
Jason71
Brother to pirates and corsairs...

Posted this on the other board as well, but adding here...

First stage of the PI demolition will be the old DJ booth, which will be turned into an outdoor upstairs patio for Fuego. The demolition of Motion/Beach Club will follow next year. Someone posted it will happen in May, but that is their info, not mine.

Re: the AC reopening. I would love it more than anyone, but at least a half a dozen CMs from all over property have said the artifacts are being removed in October and shipped to Hong Kong. Moreover, there hasn't been a peep about actor auditions or a push to hire bartenders and staff. One PI insider told me flat out no, none of the clubs are set to reopen. And this rumor has been around in some form since last October. I want to believe, but at this point it would contradict all the evidence.
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:39 PM   #581
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony2k7 View Post
Ok I know most people will claim to dislike mcdonalds - but surely by closing their DTD site that would be yet another less reason for many people to go there?

I'm sure the bean counters at Disney have come up with the fairly simplistic thought that "Hey McDonalds is so popular, but they pay us so little rent... what if they weren't there anymore and we opened our own burger place there?" But in reality a no name burger restaurant with at best average food wont make people go out of their way to visit DTD as much as people would for a known dependable place like mcdonalds.

It was bad enough when DTD was losing the best reasons for people to visit. But now its getting to the point where there is NO reason for people to visit DTD.
I think they should retheme the area with Stitch.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:27 PM   #582
mitros
I'm not nuts, I just appear to be
86 miles from the magic
The Tag Fairy will retire when people don't want anymore tags or she's asked to, whichever comes first :)

Quote:

Hmm... Before McDonalds and Ghiradelli and Wolgang Puck, as well as the Rainforest Cafe, Disney ran all of the eateries at DTD. I wonder if they are trying to get back to running their own restaurants again. Anyone remember the Verandah Restaurant, Village ice cream Parlor and Bake Shop, Heidelbergers Deli, the Lite Bite, and Lake Buena Vista Club?
About the only original reataurant at DTD that is still there is Cap'n Jack's Oyster Bar. I for one would prefer some Disney-run eateries again at DTD. Never cared much for Mickey D's, especially since you can go ANYWHERE in the world, practically, and find a McDonald's. WDW was supposed to be unique in every way. When they put every-day places to eat on property, it's not magic. It's anytown, USA.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:14 PM   #583
DC7800
DIS Veteran

Quote:
But in reality a no name burger restaurant with at best average food wont make people go out of their way to visit DTD as much as people would for a known dependable place like mcdonalds
People do not travel hundreds of miles or more to go to McDonalds's; They travel all that way for Disney - attractions, resorts, shops, and restaurants. Indeed, Disney operated fast-food was once regarded as generally superior to McDonald's and other 'real-world' examples. Why, why, why would anyone go to Downtown Disney for the sake of eating at McDonalds's??? They can do that when they get back home; As mitros stated, Disney should be full of unique (dining) experiences you can't get anywhere else.

Few persons are likely to venture out to the Marketplace for just a burger regardless, but Disney is a known quantity and the reason you're there. It isn't like traveling in a strange town, so you look for familiarity in McDonalds' as opposed to taking a chance on Joe's Diner & Bait Shop. If you really want a McDonald's for some reason, there is still one a mile or so away in Crossroads, but it just doesn't belong in Downtown Disney - and never did. I don't hate McDonalds' - ate there for lunch today - but I do hate it intruding upon Walt Disney World.

Quote:
I'm sure the bean counters at Disney have come up with the fairly simplistic thought
Simplistic thoughts appear to be the only type some members of Disney senior management are capable of.

Quote:
For Pleasure Island and its new "theme" of urban wasteland and abandoned buildings, you are quite correct, but the same cannot be said of the Marketplace. It remains a vibrant, well-patronized shopping and dining complex. That, of course, is part of the problem, in that Marketplace shoppers do not venture through P.I. to the West Side (and never did so effectively). Perhaps the marketplace numbers are down as well, I don't know, but I've never seen the place (well, for many years) when it wasn't relatively busy, so thats hardly my impression. Still, World of Disney and other establishments (collectively) continue to bring in customers to the Marketplace. Granted, some like Ghirardelli and Earl of Sandwich are just tenants like McDonalds. But at least you can't find one on nearly every street in the nation, so they remain somewhat more unique to most WDW visitors. I'd much prefer all-Disney experiences (and be careful what we mean by that: All-Disney doesn't mean all-character experiences), but Disney seems to be going in the opposite direction. Or at least they were - say Disney, how's that strategy working out for you with Pleasure Island?
DC7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:29 PM   #584
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Re: the AC reopening. I would love it more than anyone, but at least a half a dozen CMs from all over property have said the artifacts are being removed in October and shipped to Hong Kong. Moreover, there hasn't been a peep about actor auditions or a push to hire bartenders and staff. One PI insider told me flat out no, none of the clubs are set to reopen. And this rumor has been around in some form since last October. I want to believe, but at this point it would contradict all the evidence.
My source on the Island is the one that mentioned that 2 clubs were going to be reopened. She never said which two; speculation quickly turned to Mannequins and 8TRAX because they are in the only building (besides CW) apparently being spared demolition per the older rumor. She never mentioned AC. But my source had no independent knowledge of clubs reopening; it was merely what she too had heard a week or so prior to me asking her if she had heard any recent rumors!

Quote:
One PI insider told me flat out no, none of the clubs are set to reopen.
OK, so someone in the know says no clubs are reopening. But can this person give any explanation whatsoever about why NOTHING is happening out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC7800 View Post
Granted, some like Ghirardelli and Earl of Sandwich are just tenants like McDonalds. But at least you can't find one on nearly every street in the nation, so they remain somewhat more unique to most WDW visitors.
Interestingly, there are now several Earl of Sandwich restaurants at service plazas along Florida's Turnpike!

BobK/Orlando

Last edited by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH; 08-24-2009 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:32 AM   #585
Jason71
Brother to pirates and corsairs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH View Post
My source on the Island is the one that mentioned that 2 clubs were going to be reopened. She never said which two; speculation quickly turned to Mannequins and 8TRAX because they are in the only building (besides CW) apparently being spared demolition per the older rumor. She never mentioned AC. But my source had no independent knowledge of clubs reopening; it was merely what she too had heard a week or so prior to me asking her if she had heard any recent rumors!

OK, so someone in the know says no clubs are reopening. But can this person give any explanation whatsoever about why NOTHING is happening out there?

BobK/Orlando
Sorry, lose track of what's been said here, and what's been said over on the other board. I think it's the other board that has a rumor from a Paradiso manager that that Mannequins/8-Trax/AC would re-open. The inclusion of the AC made me dismiss it out of hand, tho as I said, I've heard next to nothing one way or the other about the two dance clubs.

I agree, BTW, if any two clubs are to re-open, the two you mentioned are the only real options at this point. That said, they have been stripped, and there would still be regulatory hurdles to go through--an October opening still sounds overly optimistic.

As for "why," I've yet to hear a good answer. The number of people who show up EVERY night shows the name "Pleasure Island" still carries a lot of good will, but Disney just seems content to squander it.
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: