Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2009, 06:03 PM   #496
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmattie13 View Post
It just amazes me how no further information has been leaked out as to what is going on with the whole Pleasure Island thing. You would think someone out there would leak out what exactly the plans are for the area.
I started this thread last summer prior to the PI closure asking that very same question. I said that surely someone knows what is going on or can post what they've heard. Yet if you read through the hundreds of entries that make up this thread there was never anything posted about what was planned.

We've all assumed that Disney did have plans for the Island and because the economy tanked, the plans fell through. But maybe that's giving Disney too much credit. Because Disney employees do NOT keep secrets. Yet somehow not one iota of a secret was leaked. So I've got to wonder whether there really ever were any finalized deals whatsoever. Maybe in reality Disney had some vague ideas of what they wanted to see out there but nothing under contract. With nothing firm there were no secrets to leak. And indeed with the economy in the tank, no one coming forward either.

That's about the only explanation that fits the facts as we know them.

BobK/Orlando
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:11 PM   #497
Lilmattie13
Mouseketeer

I think you are so right... I wonder though if Disney is kicking themselves for shutting off the income they had coming from PI. Now in this economy, not only are they lossing money like everyone else but they also cut down a whole area that they could have been getting income from.

Oh well good thing I only have a couple of shares of disney stock and not millions like the higher ups

We will just have to wait and ponder
:
1997 Off Property, 1st visit *1999 All Star Sports*2001 off Property*2002 Off Property*2005 CBR*2006 DISNEYLAND Disney hotel*2007 POR *2008 Doubletree DTD*2008 SEPT GF *2009 Mar POR.* 2009 Sept POLY *2010 June SWAN*2010 Sept Yacht club*AKL Kidani Nov 2010*PoP June 2011*GF Sept 2011*HGVC Sea World Nov 2011
Lilmattie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-30-2009, 11:12 AM   #498
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder

Some people were let into AC last night. We were walking the island and saw a guy in a suit standing behind the chain at AC. As the right people came to the club, they were let in behind the chain and then they all went in together. I walked up to the guy and asked if there was a private function tonight. He said no..obviously a lie. Anyway, I thought it might be useful to people to know it was in use last night.

I continue to be amazed at the number of people who will walk buy and point to AC. It really is incredible. One guy turned to his wife and said "they must not have started shows yet, we'll come back later" to which I spoke up and said there won't be a later, it's closed. I encouraged them to write a letter.

Maybe one day I'll sit in front of Mannequins and see what people say. I have heard comments in front of 8-trax before too.

They tried to get us into their stupid conga line at celebration plaza. I yelled back open the clubs and I will so they understood there is no way in hell I'm doing anything they do with that "party."

zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:33 PM   #499
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmattie13 View Post
I wonder though if Disney is kicking themselves for shutting off the income they had coming from PI.
Well it's logical to think that this would be true but all indications are that they don't care that they're losing money because of the empty buildings. It would be so easy to reopen 1 or 2 clubs and generate a LOT of revenue instantly, but they won't do it. Yet they will invest in some DJ's, comedians and stiltwalkers that generate zero income.
That's part of the whole PI mystery.

BobK/Orlando
Old 05-30-2009, 02:13 PM   #500
lovemickeyshouse
DISNEY LOVER

Nightlife lives on at Boardwalk now they should run buses to each resort so we can use the nightlife like Jellyrolls and Dance hall
First deluxe stay Wilderness Lodge Dec 2010 with parents,Sis,Bro in Law 3 nrphews one of which my godson and his first Disney trip.September 2009 Pop 33rd Bday free dining trip was awesome. Been at Pop once in 2008 for World Series game 2 in Tampa and Port Orleans Riverside March 2008 family trip with parents and sis's family
It all started in 1980 and then 1985 and 1988 .No trips for 17 years and in 2005 I was at my 2nd home for the Superbowl what a story and since my Disney love went on. Can't wait for my next trip is the Hooneymoon in November 2012. Check out my internet show at [url]www.philliebeerman.com
lovemickeyshouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:22 PM   #501
zulemara

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemickeyshouse View Post
Nightlife lives on at Boardwalk now they should run buses to each resort so we can use the nightlife like Jellyrolls and Dance hall
name how many times you have ever seen Atlantic Dance promoted and you have your answer.

They do not WANT large numbers of guests coming to the Boardwalk. Security has to hush people as it is. If people actually knew about it, they might come in large numbers and Disney doesn't want that. They get money from ADH whether its busy or not, so they do not care

Old 05-30-2009, 10:17 PM   #502
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

Every few weeks I stop by this thread to see what's new.... and after all these months there's nothing new.

I tell you. If Disney announced tomorrow (without any of us ever having experienced PI) exactly the same thing they announced at the opening of PI way back when, we would all be blown away. We'd all think Disney Imagineering was awesome.

Instead we all just shake our head in amazement at how dead that area has become.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:38 AM   #503
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut33 View Post
Every few weeks I stop by this thread to see what's new.... and after all these months there's nothing new. Instead we all just shake our head in amazement at how dead that area has become.
Yes, I think that sums things up pretty well.

BobK/Orlando
Old 05-31-2009, 03:03 PM   #504
wishdisney
a true WDW fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemickeyshouse View Post
thats worse than having it at DTD. atleast DTD was an actually place to go while Boardwalk is at a resort and people go there to relax and enjoy their stay.
wishdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:45 AM   #505
White Kix
Earning My Ears

Shortly after PI closed, I spoke with someone in Business Development who said that they were talking to third parties to fill the space and that a Ruth Chris Steakhouse was close to being or was a done deal. Not sure if it is still planned or not, but it would suggest that Disney does/did not want PI sitting empty for this long.
White Kix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:54 AM   #506
KYMickey
Adding EARS to Kentucky!

Location: Louisville Kentucky, home of the Derby and the 2014 TPC championship!

A Ruth's Chris steakhouse would certainly be in keeping with making PI more family friendly! NOT! It's nothing more than an extremely overpriced restaurant with mediocre food at best. The only reason people ever go there is because of the name, certainly not because of the value or the food.

Not saying Disney is not trying to get them to open a restaurant in the old PI, just saying that the reason initially given was totally BS! The only reason it was ever closed was to try to generate more profit for Disney (and less risk) by outsourcing various operations there.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:42 AM   #507
OrlandoMike
all I can say is beer hurts when it comes out of your nose!
I don't think we hijacked Halloween, we just do a better job at it!

Mr. Mike, plain ole head

DISboards Moderator

Ruth's Chris seems a little like a rumor to me, only because Orlando alredy has two, one being only about 3 miles from DTD.
OrlandoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:03 PM   #508
Jason71
Brother to pirates and corsairs...

Paradiso 37 "opens" Thursday, not sure if this means soft openings begain then or if that is official opening day with soft openings earlier this week.

Rumor has it next construction project is to tear down the old Beach Club.
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:38 PM   #509
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

I'm told that DTD and in particular PI and Westside had huge partying crowds Saturday night following the Orlando Magic victory!

BobK/Orlando
Old 06-02-2009, 11:16 AM   #510
zulemara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
Paradiso 37 "opens" Thursday, not sure if this means soft openings begain then or if that is official opening day with soft openings earlier this week.

Rumor has it next construction project is to tear down the old Beach Club.
I will stop down there for lunch and report back if it has a soft opening yet. I wonder if there will be any tourists with "dopey decision" shirts on

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: