Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2009, 08:30 PM   #436
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezebella View Post
Where exactly is the South American restaurant going to be? I heard it's opening in May...
It's in the totally renovated (twice) building that formerly housed the Missing Link Sausage Company and some other mundane shops.

Interesting article about owners of traditional LARGE IMAX theaters being against the smaller digital IMAX theaters being able to use the IMAX name without differentiating:
http://www.lfexaminer.com/editorial200810.htm

BobK/Orlando

Last edited by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH; 04-08-2009 at 08:45 PM.
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:16 AM   #437
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

For those of you unable to make a special trip out to PI just to see the new PI Live festivities, someone has posted it on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFSKzV2Tvio

Hmmm....we could reopen some of the clubs and clear $50K per night.....or we could do this. Tough call. This is cute for the kids but hardly a revenue-generator and hardly a substitute for what was there.

BobK/Orlando

PS-thanks to my Blog reader Ken for proving the link to me.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-10-2009, 12:52 PM   #438
TECHJPM
Mouseketeer

While visiting...(I am in Disney NOW.)

OK...we saw the balloon floating yesterday when we drove in. I am still trying to locate where they are actually launching it from.

We ate dinner at T-Rex. My reviews will be here shortly after I transpose them from my site.
TECHJPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:17 PM   #439
Brian_WDW74
Theme Parks Co-Moderator
Oh, I'm detecting nuttiness.

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TECHJPM View Post
OK...we saw the balloon floating yesterday when we drove in. I am still trying to locate where they are actually launching it from.
It's being launched from a new platform that was built on Village Lake next to the old West Side Guest Relations booth. You can see pictures of it here:

http://www.disunplugged.com/2009/03/...wntown-disney/

Brian_WDW74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:03 PM   #440
TECHJPM
Mouseketeer

Let me know if there is anything...

I am here in Disney, so if anyone has any questions, then ask, and I will get the answers.

I will start my video news on Sunday, or Monday.

Later all.

Happy Easter.
TECHJPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:54 PM   #441
gemstone1952
Earning My Ears

Pretty balloon-a bit pricey though. Even if it were not so pricey, I'd still take a pass--I don't particularly like heights.

Watched the youtube of the "celebration" over on PI. Lame. The DJ and cast members seemed to be the only ones "enthusiastic" and they did work that crowd as best they could. The kids looked bored--and the adults--well, they weren't really part of the "family themed entertainment"--it was just for the kids. I think the kids would enjoy rides more but they did go through the motions. Lame.
Not good enough to get me to renew my AP.
gemstone1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 05:43 PM   #442
AdventurerKat
Cries in her Jello shots
Adventurers Club Addict
Thinks she is invisible to the Tag Fairy, but she's not!

No offense to the people working that thing but

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH View Post
For those of you unable to make a special trip out to PI just to see the new PI Live festivities, someone has posted it on YouTube:

Hmmm....we could reopen some of the clubs and clear $50K per night.....or we could do this. Tough call. This is cute for the kids but hardly a revenue-generator and hardly a substitute for what was there.

BobK/Orlando

Old 04-10-2009, 08:08 PM   #443
LoriS
Why is the rum always gone????

Quote:

BobK/Orlando

I just showed the video to my 8 and 5 year old dd's and they both gave it a thumbs down and a big raspberry. Then my 5 year old said "what they are doing right there now, is making NO MONEY!!!" Pretty sad even a 5 year old can see what the higher ups can't.

LoriS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:09 PM   #444
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1952 View Post
The DJ and cast members seemed to be the only ones "enthusiastic" and they did work that crowd as best they could.
That's it! That's it exactly. I was out there this evening watching part of it again and I couldn't quite put my finger on it. But that's what it was. The main guy on the ground was trying to get passersby to tell him whether they were celebrating anything and he really had to dig something out of them. After he had gathered around 20 people they all celebrated by dancing to the Electric Slide. There was little enthusiasm. A few people did stand around and watch but most passersby kept passing by.

BobK/Orlando
Old 04-11-2009, 06:49 AM   #445
Luv2Roam
Dexter: Takes Life. Seriously.

The only way that will work to get wanted attention is to give away freebies.
I am glad for the hours it gives some. They are trying their best to make something out of nothing.
But this obviously will not be around long without some major revamping. It just made the obvious negative even more obvious.
Luv2Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:30 PM   #446
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Roam View Post
The only way that will work to get wanted attention is to give away freebies.
I am glad for the hours it gives some. They are trying their best to make something out of nothing.
But this obviously will not be around long without some major revamping. It just made the obvious negative even more obvious.
I agree entirely

I was on the island last night and caught the last 5 minutes. They weren't doing anything of course. There was a LOT of foot traffic going through PI and I saw multiple people asking security why the clubs were closed. As usual, the response is a big shrug of the shoulders, followed by "they want more shops and restaurants."

What a shame.

One thing to note is they took away the sign on the "main" PI bridge that advises you can't take alcohol off the island and you can be video recorded at anytime. If they are looking to open this place back up and be outsourced, that certainly doesn't seem like the right move to make.

zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:45 PM   #447
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulemara View Post
One thing to note is they took away the sign on the "main" PI bridge that advises you can't take alcohol off the island and you can be video recorded at anytime. If they are looking to open this place back up and be outsourced, that certainly doesn't seem like the right move to make.
Hmmm......I've walked from Mannequins over to House of Blues before with my drink in hand so even with the sign, I never knew that was against the rules. And I doubt there is a requirement to warn people they might be video recorded; I think nowadays you're pretty much recorded anywhere you go.

I don't read anything into the sign's removal one way or another.

BobK/Orlando
Old 04-11-2009, 10:48 PM   #448
asianway
Kungaloosh!

So I checked this out today, the CM's did a good job with what they had. But watching it, I counted 2 DJ's, 4 stiltwalkers, and 4 other actors. They seemed to be switching off to give each other breaks, but still....10 people were getting paid equity scale pro bono. No merchandise being sold, a few drinks at Laffers, but no revenue realized. With an empty venue across the street that sold 75 $225 tickets in a few days time to people begging to spend money in it.
asianway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:49 AM   #449
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder

Quote:
Hmmm......I've walked from Mannequins over to House of Blues before with my drink in hand so even with the sign, I never knew that was against the rules. And I doubt there is a requirement to warn people they might be video recorded; I think nowadays you're pretty much recorded anywhere you go.

I don't read anything into the sign's removal one way or another.

BobK/Orlando
when PI was open, it was a rule, but it is not currently a rule. My friend points out that guests could be taking alcohol right to their cars now that they do not have the rule in place. I pointed out that it's an issue of % of people who would do such a thing. It's like how when the parks are slow, people are smarter and nicer and as they get busier, people are rude, inconsiderate, and stupid. It's the same thing with this alcohol issue. However, if they were to open clubs, I would think this rule would be in full effect again. You can't let hundreds coming out of clubs go to their car with a drink or anywhere else for that matter.

edit: Oh and not only is there no merch being sold, the laffers cantina still shuts down at 10 even when the DJ thing goes till 11. STUPID! There were so many people wandering through on Friday night and no where to buy a drink. I think the PI live bar stayed open, but it still shut down at 11.

editx2: and the fact that they are not pushing any revenue when an empty club has people dying to spend money in it only shows that they truly do not want to be in the night club business. I still hold this was not a financial decision, it was because of other problems with crowds and dealing with drunks. I think they were just sick of it. Of course, those teen gangs are still around, so I don't see the point of going through all this, but whatever. It's not like the people who make decisions actually know what guests want anyway.

zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:41 PM   #450
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

Well, how's all the new DTD themeing coming along?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: