Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2008, 04:55 PM   #61
BusyMom2Three
Mouseketeer

I make all baked goods from scratch (cookies, breads, muffins, cakes, pies, etc). I also make my own icings, pesto, pizza crusts, soups, gravies, pico de gallo, guacamole...

My buttercream icing (so easy and yummy)
Blend well:
3 c powdered sugar
1/3 c butter or margarine
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
UP TO 2 Tblsp milk (start with 1 Tblsp then add a few drops at a time for desired thickness)

1985 Tokyo Disneyland (Hilton Tokyo Bay)
Mar 2007 Pop Century
Mar 2009 Pop Century
Mar 2011 Port Orleans Riverside
Mar 2012 Port Orleans Riverside
Feb-Mar 2013 Beach Club
Feb-Mar 2014 Pop Century
BusyMom2Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:46 PM   #62
eatatmidnight
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TupperMom7 View Post
But by the time you buy all the ingredients for the marshmallows, pay the electricity to cook the ingredients and the value of your time - how do you justify that against the low cost of a bag of marshmallows which goes for what - $1.00 a bag?
I make them because we follow the Feingold Diet (no artificial colors, flavors or preservatives). Most marshmallows have blue food coloring and/or artificial flavor. The ones without are over $4 for a small bag.

They do seem to be a little harder to roast over the fire.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-04-2008, 07:16 PM   #63
Chicklogic
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie M6 View Post
Sounds great- thanks for sharing! And let us know how that contest comes out My money's on you
I guess I won Mom Of The Year .....in my son's eyes! He said mine was WAY better
Chicklogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:06 PM   #64
semo233
DIS Veteran

bump

semo233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:26 PM   #65
alliedogsmom
When pigs fly...LOL

Let's see....bread, rolls, cake, icing, cookies, corn meal (yup, I dry and grind my own), just getting into grinding my own flour, I dry fruits, veggies, herbs, and I can (mostly tomatoes, but sometimes pickles too). I make my own hot cocoa mix, baking mix (like Bisquick), and I buy in bulk and store in food grade air tight buckets or vacuum seal. I find that although it is a lot of work, it is satisfying, and also it's nice to know what we are all eating. Plus I actually think I do save money-I buy flour in bulk, and the yeast as well, and while I actually have not figured out the exact cost per loaf, I am willing to bet that it is less than the $3.19 per loaf I would have to pay for the small loaf of Pepperidge Farm...plus it tastes a heck of a lot better!

Choose kindness, at every opportunity. Even if itís difficult. Especially if itís difficult. Because you never know if it might be your last opportunity with that person.
alliedogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:34 PM   #66
noodleknitter
Education is ALWAYS a good thing! ...oh yeah...pawpaws are good eats!
"Well at least it beats being dead..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by TupperMom7 View Post
But by the time you buy all the ingredients for the marshmallows, pay the electricity to cook the ingredients and the value of your time - how do you justify that against the low cost of a bag of marshmallows which goes for what - $1.00 a bag?
That would be like comparing my homemade WWheat bread at $1.50 a loaf to white fluff bread for $.99 a loaf. Real ingredients, versus funky chemicals, etc.

As far as time goes, I don't factor that in when I make something from love and scratch. I like cooking, though. For someone uncomfortable in the kitchen, that would be different.
noodleknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:59 PM   #67
nairv
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliedogsmom View Post
Let's see....bread, rolls, cake, icing, cookies, corn meal (yup, I dry and grind my own), just getting into grinding my own flour, I dry fruits, veggies, herbs, and I can (mostly tomatoes, but sometimes pickles too). I make my own hot cocoa mix, baking mix (like Bisquick), and I buy in bulk and store in food grade air tight buckets or vacuum seal. I find that although it is a lot of work, it is satisfying, and also it's nice to know what we are all eating. Plus I actually think I do save money-I buy flour in bulk, and the yeast as well, and while I actually have not figured out the exact cost per loaf, I am willing to bet that it is less than the $3.19 per loaf I would have to pay for the small loaf of Pepperidge Farm...plus it tastes a heck of a lot better!

WOW-I am impressed!!!
nairv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:58 AM   #68
kc10family
Fly Chick

love this thread
kc10family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:11 AM   #69
rottiemom
DIS Veteran

If I may suggest- try using bread flour in your pizza dough as opposed to AP flour. I discovered this about a year ago & it has made a HUGE difference in how my crust turns out. The catch- bread flour is more expensive but the results are worth it. And I use King Arthur even though it costs about twice as much as Gold Medal. Again, the results are well worth it. Almost as if I know what I'm doing .

Just about everything that you see pre-packaged I'm making homemade because that's the way that my mother did it. Plus a lot of the pre packaged stuff is very high in sodium & I watch that stuff like crazy.

The ketchup recipe sounds really good. If you like it, try running some chipotle in adobado (smoked jalapeno in sauce...look for cans of these in the Mexican section of your supermarket, they're great for adding a depth of spice & flavor...and yes, I make these homemade, too) through the food processor & stirring into the ketchup. You'll end up with some nice, spicy chipotle ketchup.

We make our own ice cream and I recently started making my own Italian Ices. My all time favorite is Crema and it's impossible to find one that tastes "right". I found a ridiculously easy recipe (OK, for this I cheat & use the Almond Dream "milk" that comes in a box) & you can use the kick the can method, an ice cream maker or freeze it in a sheet pan then run the pieces through the food processor.

1 1/2 c unsweetened almond milk
1/2 cup sugar (or less, to taste)
1 tbs corn starch
1 splash each vanilla extract and almond extract

Combine almond milk & sugar in a saucepan over low heat, stir until sugar dissolves. Add corn starch & extracts & stir until mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat, let cool & refrigerate for a few hours until cold. Process in an ice cream maker or pour into a sheet pan & freeze until solid, then break into pieces and run through a food processor until creamy (an ice cream maker is best but the food processor method works OK).

My son LOVES this (so do I ), virtually no fat & you control the sugar.
rottiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:14 PM   #70
semo233
DIS Veteran

Originally Posted by alliedogsmom

Care to share a recipe or two? I'd love to make a better whole wheat bread or baking mix!

semo233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:19 PM   #71
Stephanator
Mouseketeer

I've been trying to make things from scratch more often. Party to save money and party to keep the quality of ingredients high. Plus, if it saves me a trip to the store, I save gas so .

Alot of the recipes I used, I found on this website:

www.hillbillyhousewife.com

Some of the food falls into the "not so good for you" category, but I'm a fan of everything in moderation.
Stephanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:41 PM   #72
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowsmom View Post
I made homemade marshmallows for a fondue party many years ago - they were delicious!

I am wondering, though, what brand of corn syrup you use. The Karo brand corn syrup actually has HFCS in it and I haven't been able to locate any other brand yet (although I haven't searched too hard).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashzap View Post
I just checked my pantry.

Karo Light Corn Syrup = light corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, salt, vanilla

Karo Dark Corn Syrup = dark corn syrup, refiners' syrup, caramel flavor, salt, sodium benzoate (used to protect quality), caramel color.

disclaimer: both bottles have been in my pantry since at least 2005!

It's a non-issue for us b/c DS and DH can't have corn syrup either, along with HFCS and corn syrup solids, but while I was checking out the organic maple syrup for them, I noticed the Karos above.

And it's ONLY the "light" corn syrup that has HFCS in it. I bet the "light" doesn't have as much sweetness as the two darker kinds, so they have to punch it up, and they do so with HFCS.

But '05 and the other day, the same...the light Karo CS has HFCS, and the darker kinds do NOT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarabelle View Post
I'm confused. (really I am not being sarcastic)
HFCS is High Fructose Corn Syrup and karo syrup is Corn syrup right?
So isn't that like looking for sugar without sugar in it?

HFCS is corn syrup that has been modified in a lab. They punch up the sweetness by increasing the sugars in it, but it's not natural at all. It's NOT normal.

If you can find Mexican bottled coke at a store like Costco or a Mexican food store (or if you're going to Mexico soon) compare it to a Coke found at any store. The cane juice sweetener in the Mexican-bottled Coke gives a MUCH different taste than the HFCS. The HFCS is much much sweeter, and the cane tastes more delicious. I also find I don't want to "chug" the Mexican bottled Coke (aka the traditional Coke, as my friend who collects Coke stuff verified for me by looking at his bottles/cans from before the New Coke fiasco), I want to savor it instead, and that's going to make a blood sugar difference as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmommy View Post
High fructose corn syrup, not sure about organice gelatin, since it is an animal product, could it even be deemed organic?
Meats can be deemed organic, so I imagine rendered animal parts could be too. I've never seen it, but I don't look for gelatin anyway.

OP, just in case you have a Safeway around, if you're ever desperate for ketchup, the O Organics brand isn't that expensive, and is very good. I just read that they are now selling the use of the brand name to other stores, so you might find it beyond Safeway and Vons soon!

With DS's problems with HFCS, corn syrup, and corn syrup solids, I find myself making a whole lot more from scratch, but it's all basic recipes, not fun stuff like you guys can make.

If only one could make marshmallows with something OTHER than corn syrup, and if only I could find a carageenan that worked just like gelatin!

Thanks to a PP who mentioned the can-ice-cream method. Fabulous!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:54 PM   #73
Kycha
I'm a grouch with a heart
The raccoon wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottiemom View Post
If I may suggest- try using bread flour in your pizza dough as opposed to AP flour. I discovered this about a year ago & it has made a HUGE difference in how my crust turns out. The catch- bread flour is more expensive but the results are worth it. And I use King Arthur even though it costs about twice as much as Gold Medal. Again, the results are well worth it. Almost as if I know what I'm doing .
Can you expand on this a little? What is the difference between a crust made with AP flour and one made with bread flour? Is it tastier? Oh and thanks for the Crema recipe!
Kycha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:08 PM   #74
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMom2Three View Post
My buttercream icing (so easy and yummy)
Blend well:
3 c powdered sugar
1/3 c butter or margarine
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
UP TO 2 Tblsp milk (start with 1 Tblsp then add a few drops at a time for desired thickness)
I didn't see this before. Now THAT is some buttercream! Our wedding cake baker used ONLY butter, no shortening, and her buttercream was beyond incredible. Due to a very long story, our hotel had another local bakery make us a 1st anniversary cake to replace the cake top they threw away, and while it was really good, you could tell they didn't use ONLY butter, and it lessened the buttercream.

At some point in our first year of marriage I made hubby a huge cake for his b'day, and I followed some crazy buttercream recipe that required a candy thermometer, and though it was good, it was nowhere near as good as a simple recipe like yours tends to be.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:21 PM   #75
MrandMissVacation
Mouseketeer

Best buttercream frosting. VERY fluffy and no greasy film left on the roof of your mouth

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
2 cups butter, softened
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup confectioners' sugar
Add to Recipe Box
Add to Shopping List
Add a Personal Note
DIRECTIONS
In a large bowl, Whip the butter on high speed, occasionally scraping down the sides of the bowl. Whip until double in volume. This takes a very long time, approximately 10 minutes.
While still whipping, drizzle in the heavy cream. Continue whipping until the mixture is stiff, approximately 2 to 4 minutes.
Add 1/2 of the confectioners sugar and whip until smooth. At this point, you can taste the frosting and determine if you would like to add more sugar to sweeten to taste.
Thickly frosts top and sides of two 9 inch cakes
2009 Podcast cruise
2010 Universal 7 days @ portofino bay
2011 NYE cruise Disney Dream
Michelle, Steve, and our children the real "Mr and Miss Vacation"

MrandMissVacation is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: