Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2008, 10:36 AM   #1
nairv
Mouseketeer

making things from scratch?

In an attempt to be more budget minded (and health conscious), lately I have taken to making some foods from scratch. I made my own yogurt for the first time...it was delicious and saved me $$$$..we go thru a lot of yogurt in my house.
The other thing I tried was homemade marshmallows....it was unbelievably easy and tasted out of this world.....nothing like the store bought stuff! and I know what is in it.....sugar, gelatin,corn syrup, and a touch of vanilla. nothing more. no unpronouncable junk!
my next project was going to be homemade ketchup. we love ketchup here and I hate HFCS! I also dislike paying $$$$ for high end organic brands just to get away from HFCS. I know, it's not possible to make everything from scratch, some things are time consuming and just not worth it, but even a little bit here and there will help the budget and our health too!
What do you all make from scratch?
nairv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:38 AM   #2
mskayjay
They were sooooo good I had um.....a few.....okay fine.....several!
I have the coolest memories of going on that ride over and over with my cousin

Nairy if you have a moment I would love the marshmallow recipe. Can you pm it to me? I've been wanting to do the really neat ones for the holidays with chocolate coating and nuts, etc. tia
karen

Golf Resort (SOG now!)1974*Polynesian Resort 1976* Off site 1990*Tree House Villas 1992*Caribbean Beach Resort 1998*Off site 2004*Animal Kingdom Lodge 2006*Wilderness Lodge 2008*Wilderness Lodge 2009*Wilderness Lodge 2010*Animal Kingdom Villas 2011* Wilerness Lodge Villas 2011*
mskayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-02-2008, 10:45 AM   #3
Chicklogic
Mouseketeer

I make several "unconventional" things at home:

yogurt (let sit 24-48 hours for more of a sour cream taste)

soup stocks (including lamb! I found lamb breasts for $1/pound ` I didn't even know lambs HAD breasts I thought breasts were reserved for poultry!)

butter

cream of (fill-in-the-blank) soup

wrinkle spray (don't eat this - )

I'm sure there are more.....gotta get my butt outside!
Chicklogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:47 AM   #4
zazu1971
Mouseketeer

I would also love the marshmallow recipe!
I make homemade bread and soup all the time...but never marshmallows. I also like to make homemade ice cream wtih the kids. We do the kick the can method. You take your ingredients and place in a small clean coffee can, then you duct tape it to death to keep the lid on. Then you place the small coffee can in a larger coffee can, fill in the space with ice and salt (makes it colder) put the lid on, duct tape again and send the kids out to kick it around the yard. I like to have them play kickball for about 15-20 min, then when they are all tired and hot, I bring out cones and we have wonderful ice cream in the backyard that they made themselves.
zazu1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:49 AM   #5
pajules
I live to love and laugh alot, that's all I need

Now is a great time of year to make homemade tomato sauce. I don't garden myself, but I have friends that do and they always seem to have too many tomato's.

I make a pretty simple one with fresh tomato, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and basil. I also like to add crushed red pepper to spice it up a bit. But honestly just let this simmer on the stove, add some water as everything starts to break down and then you can store it in jars to use later in the year. Obviously there are some tricks to canning, but it's not too difficult and you can find info on line.

I also like to make raw tomato sauces in the summer. Kinda like a salsa, but without the jalapeno kick. I use the same ingredients and instead of simmering on the stove just put on pasta and let the heat from the pasta warm it up. It's very refreshing.

My 2008 May "Mom and Son" Trip Report

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1756063
pajules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:50 AM   #6
B&Bforever
Mouseketeer

I would love your recipes. This is a great idea!
B&Bforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:53 AM   #7
semo233
DIS Veteran

I'd also like the recipe for the homemade yogurt....we eat tons of yogurt!!

Chicklogic: I saw you post this in another thread and have been trying to find one since!

thanks

semo233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 11:20 AM   #8
zazu1971
Mouseketeer

I have a friend who's 2 year old just did this.. Not the homemade kind,I've heard of it happening to other kids too. The bad part is on the package there are no actual ingredients listed, it just says "perfume, fiber relaxers, etc" She had to call poision control and they sent her to ER with the bottle because no one was sure what was in it. I'd love the recipe for the homemade kind, at least then I'd know what was in it.
Her daughter is fine fortunatly... but yikes
zazu1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 11:25 AM   #9
Dizneydaz
DIS Veteran

A few weeks ago my DM and DD8 made Plum Jelly with plums from our own tree! It came out great and they had fun doing it. They made about 10 jars.
Dizneydaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 11:49 AM   #10
IluvKingLouis
DIS Veteran

I love this thread~

I'm also trying to stay away from HFCS and chemicals in general. Please share your recipes.....would love to know how to make marshmellows.

We don't use much Ketchup, so I'm ok with buying the organic variety...but if we used it often, I too would be looking for a recipe.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:58 AM   #11
ceecee
DIS Veteran

Jelly, Jam, Applesauce, Peanut Butter, Apple Butter, tomatoe sauce, salsa, etc................
ceecee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:17 PM   #12
wowsmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairv View Post
In an attempt to be more budget minded (and health conscious), lately I have taken to making some foods from scratch. I made my own yogurt for the first time...it was delicious and saved me $$$$..we go thru a lot of yogurt in my house.
The other thing I tried was homemade marshmallows....it was unbelievably easy and tasted out of this world.....nothing like the store bought stuff! and I know what is in it.....sugar, gelatin,corn syrup, and a touch of vanilla. nothing more. no unpronouncable junk!
my next project was going to be homemade ketchup. we love ketchup here and I hate HFCS! I also dislike paying $$$$ for high end organic brands just to get away from HFCS. I know, it's not possible to make everything from scratch, some things are time consuming and just not worth it, but even a little bit here and there will help the budget and our health too!
What do you all make from scratch?
I made homemade marshmallows for a fondue party many years ago - they were delicious!

I am wondering, though, what brand of corn syrup you use. The Karo brand corn syrup actually has HFCS in it and I haven't been able to locate any other brand yet (although I haven't searched too hard).
wowsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:24 PM   #13
Chicklogic
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by semo233 View Post
I'd also like the recipe for the homemade yogurt....we eat tons of yogurt!!

Chicklogic: I saw you post this in another thread and have been trying to find one since!

thanks
Semo I have the Salton brand (Amazon has it for $18.00) it has about 500 reviews. Do what I did.....READ THEM (at least 50 or so.....)

Best 20 bucks I ever spent! I really do use the homemade yogurt in place of sour cream in every recipe Why am I still 15 pounds overweight????
Old 08-02-2008, 12:27 PM   #14
Chicklogic
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazu1971 View Post

I have a friend who's 2 year old just did this.. Not the homemade kind,I've heard of it happening to other kids too. The bad part is on the package there are no actual ingredients listed, it just says "perfume, fiber relaxers, etc" She had to call poision control and they sent her to ER with the bottle because no one was sure what was in it. I'd love the recipe for the homemade kind, at least then I'd know what was in it.
Her daughter is fine fortunatly... but yikes

You still won't know "exactly" what is in it.......

I use :
2tbs downy (or what ever softner you have)
2tbs rubbing alcohol
fill to the brim with good 'ol H2o
Old 08-02-2008, 01:14 PM   #15
nairv
Mouseketeer

wholesome sweeteners

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowsmom View Post
I made homemade marshmallows for a fondue party many years ago - they were delicious!

I am wondering, though, what brand of corn syrup you use. The Karo brand corn syrup actually has HFCS in it and I haven't been able to locate any other brand yet (although I haven't searched too hard).
Wholesome sweeteners makes an organic corn syrup that's HFCS free and not too expensive. I found it at Target. Incidentally I was surprised to find agave nectar by the same brand, also at Target. I thought that was something that could only be found on the internet or in natural food stores!
nairv is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: