Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2008, 10:36 AM   #1
nairv
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 133

making things from scratch?

In an attempt to be more budget minded (and health conscious), lately I have taken to making some foods from scratch. I made my own yogurt for the first time...it was delicious and saved me $$$$..we go thru a lot of yogurt in my house.
The other thing I tried was homemade marshmallows....it was unbelievably easy and tasted out of this world.....nothing like the store bought stuff! and I know what is in it.....sugar, gelatin,corn syrup, and a touch of vanilla. nothing more. no unpronouncable junk!
my next project was going to be homemade ketchup. we love ketchup here and I hate HFCS! I also dislike paying $$$$ for high end organic brands just to get away from HFCS. I know, it's not possible to make everything from scratch, some things are time consuming and just not worth it, but even a little bit here and there will help the budget and our health too!
What do you all make from scratch?
nairv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:38 AM   #2
mskayjay
They were sooooo good I had um.....a few.....okay fine.....several!
I have the coolest memories of going on that ride over and over with my cousin
 
mskayjay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: northern NY
Posts: 2,150

Nairy if you have a moment I would love the marshmallow recipe. Can you pm it to me? I've been wanting to do the really neat ones for the holidays with chocolate coating and nuts, etc. tia
karen
__________________
karen



Golf Resort (SOG now!)1974*Polynesian Resort 1976* Off site 1990*Tree House Villas 1992*Caribbean Beach Resort 1998*Off site 2004*Animal Kingdom Lodge 2006*Wilderness Lodge 2008*Wilderness Lodge 2009*Wilderness Lodge 2010*Animal Kingdom Villas 2011* Wilerness Lodge Villas 2011*
mskayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-02-2008, 10:45 AM   #3
Chicklogic
Mouseketeer
 
Chicklogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 294

I make several "unconventional" things at home:

yogurt (let sit 24-48 hours for more of a sour cream taste)

soup stocks (including lamb! I found lamb breasts for $1/pound ` I didn't even know lambs HAD breasts I thought breasts were reserved for poultry!)

butter

cream of (fill-in-the-blank) soup

wrinkle spray (don't eat this - )

I'm sure there are more.....gotta get my butt outside!
Chicklogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:47 AM   #4
zazu1971
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 202

I would also love the marshmallow recipe!
I make homemade bread and soup all the time...but never marshmallows. I also like to make homemade ice cream wtih the kids. We do the kick the can method. You take your ingredients and place in a small clean coffee can, then you duct tape it to death to keep the lid on. Then you place the small coffee can in a larger coffee can, fill in the space with ice and salt (makes it colder) put the lid on, duct tape again and send the kids out to kick it around the yard. I like to have them play kickball for about 15-20 min, then when they are all tired and hot, I bring out cones and we have wonderful ice cream in the backyard that they made themselves.
zazu1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:49 AM   #5
pajules
I live to love and laugh alot, that's all I need
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 245

Now is a great time of year to make homemade tomato sauce. I don't garden myself, but I have friends that do and they always seem to have too many tomato's.

I make a pretty simple one with fresh tomato, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and basil. I also like to add crushed red pepper to spice it up a bit. But honestly just let this simmer on the stove, add some water as everything starts to break down and then you can store it in jars to use later in the year. Obviously there are some tricks to canning, but it's not too difficult and you can find info on line.

I also like to make raw tomato sauces in the summer. Kinda like a salsa, but without the jalapeno kick. I use the same ingredients and instead of simmering on the stove just put on pasta and let the heat from the pasta warm it up. It's very refreshing.
__________________
me DS10

My 2008 May "Mom and Son" Trip Report

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1756063
pajules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:50 AM   #6
B&Bforever
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 117

I would love your recipes. This is a great idea!
B&Bforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:53 AM   #7
semo233
DIS Veteran
 
semo233's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,585

I'd also like the recipe for the homemade yogurt....we eat tons of yogurt!!

Chicklogic: I saw you post this in another thread and have been trying to find one since!

thanks
__________________
Poohfriend

semo233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 11:20 AM   #8
zazu1971
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 202

wrinkle spray (don't eat this - )



I have a friend who's 2 year old just did this.. Not the homemade kind,I've heard of it happening to other kids too. The bad part is on the package there are no actual ingredients listed, it just says "perfume, fiber relaxers, etc" She had to call poision control and they sent her to ER with the bottle because no one was sure what was in it. I'd love the recipe for the homemade kind, at least then I'd know what was in it.
Her daughter is fine fortunatly... but yikes
zazu1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 11:25 AM   #9
Dizneydaz
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Southern California-30 min. from DLand
Posts: 10,937

A few weeks ago my DM and DD8 made Plum Jelly with plums from our own tree! It came out great and they had fun doing it. They made about 10 jars.
__________________
11-839-986-994-00 6-0212-03 9-041-05 DDP 9-05 DDP 1-06 9-06 DDP9-07 DDP 9-08 DDP 9-09 DDP 9-10 QSDP! 10-11 QSDP, 10-12 QSDP AND AoA!1-14 NO DDP!
CLICK HERE FOR 2013 SNACKS THREAD!**CLICK HERE FOR 2014 CONFIRMED SNACKS LIST!**PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER HERE WE COME!!!
***DM DD14 DGM 74
Dizneydaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 11:49 AM   #10
IluvKingLouis
DIS Veteran
 
IluvKingLouis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Castle Rock, Colorado
Posts: 1,631

I love this thread~

I'm also trying to stay away from HFCS and chemicals in general. Please share your recipes.....would love to know how to make marshmellows.

We don't use much Ketchup, so I'm ok with buying the organic variety...but if we used it often, I too would be looking for a recipe.
__________________
Elaine, Linnea's Mom
I've been BOOed by LaurieA
IluvKingLouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 11:58 AM   #11
ceecee
DIS Veteran
 
ceecee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 10,083

Jelly, Jam, Applesauce, Peanut Butter, Apple Butter, tomatoe sauce, salsa, etc................
ceecee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:17 PM   #12
wowsmom
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,439

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairv View Post
In an attempt to be more budget minded (and health conscious), lately I have taken to making some foods from scratch. I made my own yogurt for the first time...it was delicious and saved me $$$$..we go thru a lot of yogurt in my house.
The other thing I tried was homemade marshmallows....it was unbelievably easy and tasted out of this world.....nothing like the store bought stuff! and I know what is in it.....sugar, gelatin,corn syrup, and a touch of vanilla. nothing more. no unpronouncable junk!
my next project was going to be homemade ketchup. we love ketchup here and I hate HFCS! I also dislike paying $$$$ for high end organic brands just to get away from HFCS. I know, it's not possible to make everything from scratch, some things are time consuming and just not worth it, but even a little bit here and there will help the budget and our health too!
What do you all make from scratch?
I made homemade marshmallows for a fondue party many years ago - they were delicious!

I am wondering, though, what brand of corn syrup you use. The Karo brand corn syrup actually has HFCS in it and I haven't been able to locate any other brand yet (although I haven't searched too hard).
wowsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:24 PM   #13
Chicklogic
Mouseketeer
 
Chicklogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by semo233 View Post
I'd also like the recipe for the homemade yogurt....we eat tons of yogurt!!

Chicklogic: I saw you post this in another thread and have been trying to find one since!

thanks
Semo I have the Salton brand (Amazon has it for $18.00) it has about 500 reviews. Do what I did.....READ THEM (at least 50 or so.....)

Best 20 bucks I ever spent! I really do use the homemade yogurt in place of sour cream in every recipe Why am I still 15 pounds overweight????
Chicklogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:27 PM   #14
Chicklogic
Mouseketeer
 
Chicklogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazu1971 View Post
wrinkle spray (don't eat this - )



I have a friend who's 2 year old just did this.. Not the homemade kind,I've heard of it happening to other kids too. The bad part is on the package there are no actual ingredients listed, it just says "perfume, fiber relaxers, etc" She had to call poision control and they sent her to ER with the bottle because no one was sure what was in it. I'd love the recipe for the homemade kind, at least then I'd know what was in it.
Her daughter is fine fortunatly... but yikes

You still won't know "exactly" what is in it.......

I use :
2tbs downy (or what ever softner you have)
2tbs rubbing alcohol
fill to the brim with good 'ol H2o
Chicklogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:14 PM   #15
nairv
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 133

wholesome sweeteners

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowsmom View Post
I made homemade marshmallows for a fondue party many years ago - they were delicious!

I am wondering, though, what brand of corn syrup you use. The Karo brand corn syrup actually has HFCS in it and I haven't been able to locate any other brand yet (although I haven't searched too hard).
Wholesome sweeteners makes an organic corn syrup that's HFCS free and not too expensive. I found it at Target. Incidentally I was surprised to find agave nectar by the same brand, also at Target. I thought that was something that could only be found on the internet or in natural food stores!
nairv is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright Š 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.