Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2008, 11:36 AM   #1
notafan
Earning My Ears

Whispering Canyons

Just finished 5 days on the dining plan. Whispering Canyon food was great service awful. Took forever to get waited on after we were seated, server only came by once to see if everything was OK. By the time she came back to see if we were ready for dessert were tired of waiting and just paid and left. Wouldn't go back there.

Boma and Chef Mickey had great food and the service was acceptable. Lots of character interaction at Chef Mickey

1900 Park Fare and The Garden Grill had great food, and character interaction was accetable. Servie was better than at Whispering Canyon but nothing spectacular.

All in all the quality of the dining plan (and mousekeeping) have gone down considerably while the cost of the trip has gone up. It is going to reach a tipping point where it isn't worth it.
Sept/Oct 06 - POR Riverside Alligator Bayou
July 08 - POR Riverside Magnolia Bend
notafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:50 PM   #2
bytheblood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by notafan View Post
Just finished 5 days on the dining plan. Whispering Canyon food was great service awful. Took forever to get waited on after we were seated, server only came by once to see if everything was OK. By the time she came back to see if we were ready for dessert were tired of waiting and just paid and left. Wouldn't go back there.

All in all the quality of the dining plan (and mousekeeping) have gone down considerably while the cost of the trip has gone up. It is going to reach a tipping point where it isn't worth it.

I am sorry about your service at WCC. Sounds like you had the same service we did. Was Debbie your waitress?

I do have to agree about the Disney quality going down in many areas while the prices continue to rise. I have not lost all hope for it to be restored....yet!
bytheblood is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-22-2008, 04:16 AM   #3
lacibelle
Earning My Ears

We have ressie next month for this, never have been there. Was hoping for a great family dinner with the kids
Old 07-25-2008, 09:07 PM   #4
noahdove
DIS Veteran

We have ressies there also...I am praying for everything to be great
Old 08-17-2008, 07:40 PM   #5
mainegal
I am becoming very good at making crushed ice
DIS Veteran

I want to see the Wilderness Lodge and was thinking about eating at Whispering Canyon. Is it over-rated? Maybe I should eat at their quick service instead? Any ideas? Thanks.
mainegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:58 PM   #6
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

That's terrible about the Whispering Canyon. We'll be eating there in Sept. so I hope we get a decent server.

We're eating at Chef Mickey's too.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:06 PM   #7
vegs1
Mouseketeer

No need to worry

We just returned from staying at Wilderness Lodge and ate at Whispering Canyon on our first night.

Our service was impeccable. Our waitress was wonderful...very attentive and fun. The food, in my opinion, is just alright but my daughter had a great time. We were on the dining plan. Had the skillet...everything was hot but nothing was really exceptional. Dining plan also included all you can drink milkshakes. They were very good.

So don't worry...overall it was a good experience.

vegs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:51 PM   #8
mayflower1966
Earning My Ears

Thumbs up Whispering Canyon Cafe August 14.

I just returned from Disney myself yesterday. I booked reservations at the Whispering Canyon Cafe based on what I'd read in the "official" guidebook. It wasn't just the food that I was going for, but the atmosphere is what I was looking for, for my children.

When we arrived, the restaurant was whooping it up, with their hankerchiefs swinging, kids were parading around on wooden horses, and everyone seemed to be having a great time.

Our food was good, dessert was fabulous and we had to take it with us because we were so stuffed.

I guess my two complaints is that our waitress was very busy and did her best, but we felt a little ignored. My second complaint is that we weren't seated in the main room, where all the action was going on. We were in a room off of the main room, so we heard the fun, but weren't part of it. I would definitely go there again and request the main room.

We also took our shuttle bus to MK from our resort, then caught the ferry to the Wilderness Lodge from there. It was a nice relaxing ride and the lodge was beautiful to walk around.
mayflower1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:41 PM   #9
klamb19
Earning My Ears

Also just returned...

We stayed at the Wilderness Lodge and ate at Whispering Canyon our first night. We were seated off the main dining room but still had a great time. My 4 year old happened to be very thirsty when we got there and was serious when he asked for a big glass of water (he had no clue what was going to happen). He got his BIG glass of water.
I had the roasted chicken and thought it was delicious. My 10 year old took a sampling of it also(the portion was huge) and loved it too!
I will absolutely go back there(the lodge and the restaurant).

We also ate at Chef Mickey's. Thought the character interaction was good. Food was ok.

I would also highly recommend the 50's Prime Time Cafe. Again, good food, huge portions, great service. We had "Aunt Donna"
klamb19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:24 PM   #10
juliawithtwo
Earning My Ears

I'm glad to read some positive reviews. WCC seems so mixed, with some people having a blast and others not so. We are going in Sept, and this is where we're eating the first night. It's our first time in a deluxe resort (previously just spent 1 night in Pop) AND with children (3 yr old + 6 month old). Does the night of the week or time of meal make a difference? We're eating there on a Saturday evening at 5:30 pm.
juliawithtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:35 PM   #11
noahdove
DIS Veteran

We ate at Whispering Canyon on Friday evening. We were early and were still seated 1/2 hour before our scheduled ressie. We were taken back to the "quiet" area and I asked if this was in the area of the action and the young lady said no and then I asked if there was any way that we could be seated in the "action" area..well, we were able to move and that was great Our waitress was Lazy Suzan and she was ok. The other people that waited on us were great...Lazy Suzan did not come back for quite awhile to see if we were ok..I did get a refill but only in the same size glass...We had the skillet and I thought it was great...we took the dessert with us as we weren't able to eat it then...it too was delicious...Our waitress wasn't really in on the antics that were going on,but we enjoyed the othersHowever, for the price, I wouldn't go again, even on the dining plan...But that is my opinion...my little nephew had to sing with other little boys Happy Birthday to a sweet little girl named Maggie...they were all adorable It was a great way to end our perfect Disney week...
Old 08-19-2008, 10:08 AM   #12
Mischa
Disney Dreamin'

We have ressies for our trip next month - it'll be our first time eating at WCC. The ressie is for 4:05 pm - is that too early for any of the antics? We're going not only for the food but for the atmosphere too.

Thanks.

Animal Crossing info:
friend code: 0774-9616-0998
Town: Ditny
Name: Michelle

Proud DVC members at SSR! Off-site: 1976 (my 1st trip), 1990 & 1998 (Coronado Springs); Ft. Wilderness Cabins: 2006 (DH's 1st trip, became DVC members!); SSR: 12/2006; 7/2007; 11/2007; 9/2008; 5/2009, 10/2009
Mischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:26 PM   #13
Lisa Rinaldi

Whispering Canyon Cafe

We ate at the WC on Saturday night. We had an awesome time. The kids rode around the restaurant on hobby horses and did the Hokey Pokey. They loved the yelling, swirling napkins and bringing crayons and ketchup to different tables. Our service was very good. We had to take the dessert to go. The only complaint was a horrible kid's meal with dried up pasta and overdone chicken. I didn't complain because our youngest just shared the skillet with the rest of us. My kids already want to go back again.
Lisa Rinaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:20 PM   #14
Seeterlin
Earning My Ears

Great time at Whispering Canyon

We had a great time when we went. Huge portions, and the kids had alot of fun. We are definitly planning to return. The dining room is loud and boisterous, but so are our kids, so this worked well. Plus the visit to WL inspired us to stay there on our next trip.
Seeterlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: