Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2008, 01:13 AM   #16
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Well....you know the screaming guitar riffs those guys play? Ya, they get that stuff from me and my boss. The guitar picks they use that have their signatures/logos on them? Again, they get those from me. I've talked to tons of artists, from Eric Clapton/Peter Frampton to The Pretenders, to Tim McGraw to Hootie and the Blowfish, to Sammy Hagar to Pink, to so many others. I work for a major musical accessory manufacturer, my boss is the Director of Artist Relations, I'm the Assistant to the Director of Artist Relations. I have a pretty cool job. We make a lot of signature effect pedals and strings as well. You have heard our gear used and you may even know what company I'm referring to.

Kerry does look scary, but he's a big old teddy bear. Such a nice guy, Zakk Wylde too, he's really nice. It's so weird to me, these bad-a$$ metal guys are the nicest guys around, it's the Emo/Pop/Hip Hop guys you have to watch out for. LOL

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 06:53 AM   #17
Mayhem2008
Slipknot lovin' Maggot!

So many people look at these bands and immediately think drugs, alcohol, sex and satan....well, I qualify for a couple of those and I'm just a regular person! (Madd says "no! you are very twisted and irregular! ) They don't know the real people, only what they see in the media, and are never willing to give them a chance. Alot of these guys to uber charity work, I know that for a fact. Alot of timies it's downplayed, at the bands request because they just don't want the pats on the back. They do it because it's what they like to do and they have the resources.
One up and coming band I really like is Facecage...another Des Moines, Iowa band. (What is it about bands in Iowa that always get me?)
I love the growling...gives me the tingles and makes me get all girly.
Amon Amarth is another one I love to listen to and watch. I have Headbanger's Ball on my DVR permanently and love it when these guys are on there, hair flying and growling, double bass drums just pounding. Ahhh gotta go put some music on and get my day started. Thank goodness I live in the middle of nowhere and don't have to worry about neighbors complaining of the noise! Shall we start with Dimmu Borgir or a little of the Knot? Defo going for the Knot!
Mayhem2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-14-2008, 02:08 PM   #18
maddhatir
Disney lovin' Harley gal....or is that Harley lovin' Disney gal??? ...and a huge HOWARD fan!
Pirate lovin', freebie posting, Susan Lucci wannabe of the Tag World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem2008 View Post
So many people look at these bands and immediately think drugs, alcohol, sex and satan....well, I qualify for a couple of those and I'm just a regular person! (Madd says "no! you are very twisted and irregular! )

Shall we start with Dimmu Borgir or a little of the Knot? Defo going for the Knot!
No May- you are trash and JUNK! BTW- I made sure all your e-mails come through as non-junk for now on!

I would have told you to go for some Dimmu! I was crankin' lots of Type O this morning while running errands!

I have to get my hair cut on Thursday and I wanna do a little balck in my hair for the concert but I am afraid I will look like a dork- my hair is all blonde- I was thinking of maybe doing the underneath black? BUT there is a chich at my SILs shop (SILs owns it and free haircut snad color all the time!) anyway- I have know this gilr who has worked for her for years- I would say hello- and goodbye- BUT we saw her at the Dimmu concert a few months back and I had no idea she was one of US!

Her DH is in a band and she is so into black metal. I was going to ask her what I can do with my hair. Semi-perm of course, I am afraid I will not like it.

A few years ago I was just SICK and TIRED of all the blonde- so I sat in my SILs chair and said- I want it ALL BLACK! Needless to say, I was back in her chair with in a few weeks going back to all blonde- It just felt like it was not me when I looked into the mirror- so this time maybe I will do some pitch black pieces only.

......Me and DH

Last edited by maddhatir; 06-16-2008 at 09:23 PM.
maddhatir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 02:14 PM   #19
maddhatir
Disney lovin' Harley gal....or is that Harley lovin' Disney gal??? ...and a huge HOWARD fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewings71 View Post
Well....you know the screaming guitar riffs those guys play? Ya, they get that stuff from me and my boss. The guitar picks they use that have their signatures/logos on them? Again, they get those from me. I've talked to tons of artists, from Eric Clapton/Peter Frampton to The Pretenders, to Tim McGraw to Hootie and the Blowfish, to Sammy Hagar to Pink, to so many others. I work for a major musical accessory manufacturer, my boss is the Director of Artist Relations, I'm the Assistant to the Director of Artist Relations. I have a pretty cool job. We make a lot of signature effect pedals and strings as well. You have heard our gear used and you may even know what company I'm referring to.

Kerry does look scary, but he's a big old teddy bear. Such a nice guy, Zakk Wylde too, he's really nice. It's so weird to me, these bad-a$$ metal guys are the nicest guys around, it's the Emo/Pop/Hip Hop guys you have to watch out for. LOL
Kerri- that is so great that you have a job you love! Not many people can say that- well, I can't anyway. I say I would like to be an actress or a stunt woman

Speaking of Zakk- that made me think, you know, I can remember when Randy Rhoads died! We knew Ozzy was going to be in Philly soon and all ears were on the radio to keep up with the concert news!

......Me and DH
Old 06-14-2008, 02:47 PM   #20
maddhatir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink888 View Post
I can relate to that. I'll be spending another 4th of July picnic listening to a group of moms talk about dance class again. Makes me want to scratch my eyes out. Not that there's anything wrong with dance, but there's got to be more to talk about than that for 4 hours, you know?
You poor thing! This is just for you

......Me and DH
Old 06-14-2008, 05:04 PM   #21
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddhatir View Post
Kerri- that is so great that you have a job you love! Not many people can say that- well, I can't anyway. I say I would like to be an actress or a stunt woman

Speaking of Zakk- that made me think, you know, I can remember when Randy Rhoads died! We knew Ozzy was going to be in Philly soon and all ears were on the radio to keep up with the concert news!
Remember when Dime Bag was shot? Our company almost shut down because of that. In the end we went on because that's what Dime would have wanted, my 2 bosses (my direct boss and the company VP, son of the founder) went to the funeral. Jimi was gone for days, it was very sad, it really hit Jimi and Scott hard as they were very close to Dime. We have pics of him (and Zakk and Kerry) all over our offices. I should try to find the picture of Jimi and Dime, you guys would love it.

What is your job Mad? If you don't like it can you find something else? I got really lucky, this job just fell into my lap.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:27 AM   #22
Brocktoon
21st Century Schizoid Man

A big for this thread!!!

I grew up a HUGE metal/prog child during the 80's / 90's, and also happen to play guitar and bass, ie I worship at the altar of Vai, Satch, Zakk, Randy, Petrucci etc..

I LOVE that today's gen of music is an incredible amalgm of my influences such as: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Pantera, Yes, Rush, Queen, Phish, Zappa, Santana, etc ...

You've got genius bands like Dream Theater, Muse, Porcupine Tree, Umphrey's McGee, Opeth, System of a Down, Between the Buried and Me, that are fusing some of the greatest sounds around

I'm not huge 'Black' metal fan though, as Cookie Monster vocals aren't my thing. Yet I Frakin love Opeth, so go figure.

I don't know if I have a point other than: there are true adult music fan reading DIS that dig more than pop music, and I guess I'm among them

Next Trip: Food & Wine Fest: 10/23 - 10/31 2014
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice

- Neil Peart
Brocktoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 07:07 AM   #23
maddhatir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocktoon View Post
I don't know if I have a point other than: there are true adult music fan reading DIS that dig more than pop music, and I guess I'm among them
You don't need to have a point!!! It is just nice to converse with people who have the same interests!

I am not into reading about how everyone's child deserves a medal so they do not get their feelings hurt, or to be bashed for having other opinions on religion and politics

I always wondering of there were any other Dis'ers beside me and Mayhem that we into banging our heads!

You know- I was never really a black metal fan either- I was so not into the growling etc- I have Sirius and was listening to the hard rock station, Octane maybe? and thought- this just is NOT cutting it! This is some wimpy stuff! Sure- I love Rob Zombie,, Godsmack, Manson Deftones of course Pantera!!- but I needed something heavier! So I moved to Hard Attack and heard some Down, Throwdown, Cavalera Conspiracy, (Soulfly, Sepultura)- and thrown into the mix were some other black metal bands- And I thought- HEY I am likin' some of this. Never liked Lamb of God- but I am into them now.

I am not into all black metal- some of it is way to "growly"

I would like to thank Mayhem for getting me into Dimmu! She told me to watch their video, wasn't it the Serpentine Offering May? And about a week later my brother asked me if I wanted to go see Dimmu and Behemoth! It all worked out and here I am- going deeper!

I know what you mean though Brock about the guitars- Of course, gotta love Jimi- but I also got into Mike Bloomfield and Al Kooper by listening to Live 365 Bandit Blues Radio.

I said to someone before, I think listening to a good blue guitarists is like seeing god! (if there was one! ) but that would go for any guitarist.........

It is funny b/c music is like a journey- just hearing one song can lead you into a whole other direction of music! It is so fun!

People need to open their minds and realize...you are pretty much stuck when listening to Top 40 and American Idol...... That music is not taking you on any journey!

Gotta go get the house ready for the family invasion- Father's Day dinner today-

But I have to tell you all later about my Type O experience last night- got the new CD Dead Again and I this close to spending the night on the moon- after hearing Tripping a Blind Man!

......Me and DH
Old 06-16-2008, 10:35 AM   #24
Brocktoon
21st Century Schizoid Man

Quote:

It is funny b/c music is like a journey- just hearing one song can lead you into a whole other direction of music! It is so fun!

People need to open their minds and realize...you are pretty much stuck when listening to Top 40 and American Idol...... That music is not taking you on any journey!
Yeah, it's kinda crazy if I ever look back into how I discovered the music I listen to.

I know 15+ years ago, Phish and the jamband scene was probably my introduction to opening my musical tastes. Somehow I moved into discovering Progressive music like YES, ELP, King Crimson etc. From there it went into Rush, Tool, Dream Theater and just kept going. I think I've got favorites in all sorts of genre's, although I still tend to favor prog, metal, and jazz-fusion/jamband type stuff.

While 'cookie monster' vocals aren't my thing, I think it fits well with certain bands. Opeth and Mastodon have quickly becomes faves. While they've got growling, they also mix in a lot of melody and jazz influences. I've also liked what I've heard from In Flames and Meshugga.

I've got XM Radio (which will merge sooner or later with Sirius), and they've probably got similar stations to Sirius. Squizz plays modern rock and nu metal. The Boneyard plays 80's metal and hairbands. XMLM plays lot of newer metal like Dimmu, Lamb of God, mixed classic Anthrax, Slayer, Pantera etc ...

Next Trip: Food & Wine Fest: 10/23 - 10/31 2014
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice

- Neil Peart
Brocktoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:04 PM   #25
maddhatir

Quote:
What is your job Mad? If you don't like it can you find something else? I got really lucky, this job just fell into my lap.
I will give you life in a nutshell and how I ended up here...

Raised spoiled rotten. Daddy owed his own business. Daddy gave me everything. Daddy passed in 1984- I JUST turned 20. Mom had to jump into his business and take it over (trash hauling, a nice femme business ) Hung out for a while doing nothing- then jumped in to help mom. Felt like I had to. Sold business in 1994. DH wanted to move- so we took a vacay to St. John USVI, liked it, rented an Apt and went back a month later and moved in. I worked there for a Yacht Broker (DH did mecanical work on their sailboats) , a clothing boutique and a bookstore- yes, juggled all of them. On the island- they do not get a lot of responsible people, most are kids out of college who are looking to just hang out for a while until they move on, and once word gets out that you are a good worker, people want you. Finally got rid of the boutique job. Lasted 5 months in St John, got homesick.

Came home, needed a job. For some bizarre reason, wanted to try and get a job billing is a hospital- why would I want to do billing. Anyway, I was hired by a diagnostic testing facility w/ no experience. Worked there for 8 years and then my boss bought a MRI facility about 40 miles from where we worked. He closed up our office and set me up at home b/c I did not want to commute. Been working for him for 12 years now. We now have 2 facilities and I do all postings etc, anything money- that's me. I work together with our bookeeper.

So- as boring as my job may be, I love working alone, listening to my music all day long and right now I am set up on my porch outside and enjoying the beautiful weather-- so there is a good and bad about the job.

Imagine me giving my 2 weeks notice for the stunt woman job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocktoon View Post
Yeah, it's kinda crazy if I ever look back into how I discovered the music I listen to.

I know 15+ years ago, Phish and the jamband scene was probably my introduction to opening my musical tastes. Somehow I moved into discovering Progressive music like YES, ELP, King Crimson etc. From there it went into Rush, Tool, Dream Theater and just kept going. I think I've got favorites in all sorts of genre's, although I still tend to favor prog, metal, and jazz-fusion/jamband type stuff.

While 'cookie monster' vocals aren't my thing, I think it fits well with certain bands. Opeth and Mastodon have quickly becomes faves. While they've got growling, they also mix in a lot of melody and jazz influences. I've also liked what I've heard from In Flames and Meshugga.

I've got XM Radio (which will merge sooner or later with Sirius), and they've probably got similar stations to Sirius. Squizz plays modern rock and nu metal. The Boneyard plays 80's metal and hairbands. XMLM plays lot of newer metal like Dimmu, Lamb of God, mixed classic Anthrax, Slayer, Pantera etc ...
So where in Philly do you live? I am right across the bridge in Marlton.

I am HOPING the darn merger goes through soon and the stick prices go up! As soon as Howard announced he was moving to Sirius and ran over and bought up a few hundred shares. Now I want them to split, go up, etc

You know what- I have never been into Rush, ELP, Yes or Phish- I have listened but have never been a fan. Way back when I was more into Kiss, Pink Floyd, Ted Nugent, Aerosmith (old stuff not that new crap they now play that makes it to movie soundtracks!) Give me Draw the Line and Toys in the Attic any day! Love the song- Kings and Queens too!

I then went into the hair bands! Oh for the love of god- how embarrasing I was obsessed with Motley Crue and Poison...and remember the local boys Cinderella! But I also was listening to Black Sabbath at that time- I guess they kept me grounded.....

Got sick of the hair junk and I started getting into Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Metallica, WASP, Megadeth, Death Angel, Exodus.........

I can't believe I some of the bands are still around! Like Exodus, Death Angel, Testament- and they are just as good as ever! And of course, gotta love Dave Mustaine- he is so c o c k y, you can't help but love 'em!

......Me and DH
Old 06-17-2008, 07:53 PM   #26
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!

Ummm, Cinderella is still around.....OMG, I loved them!!!! LOL And now I work with them. I was the phone today for hours with Chet, he's a tech for Slash and he's currently helping out with Staind. Talking and emailing with him I hardly got anything done! LOL

I wish I could work from home....that would be awesome!!!! That's really my goal, to be able to tele-commute a few days a week. It's totally doable, my company just has to set it up for me.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:26 AM   #27
maddhatir

Quote:
Ummm, Cinderella is still around.....OMG, I loved them!!!! LOL And now I work with them. I was the phone today for hours with Chet, he's a tech for Slash and he's currently helping out with Staind. Talking and emailing with him I hardly got anything done! LOL

I wish I could work from home....that would be awesome!!!! That's really my goal, to be able to tele-commute a few days a week. It's totally doable, my company just has to set it up for me.
Well let me tell ya- I would MUCH rather be on the phone, in an office, with CHET, than doing what I am doing at home

When you do get hooked up at home you will have the best of both worlds!

I think the singer of Cinderella- OMG I forget his name, used to live in my town- Marlton, NJ- but you know how people say they know a friend of a friend who knows this one and that one- so who really knows if it is true. I hate when people do that! (OT- a few years ago my cousin said someone that she worked with was the cousin of then Phila Flyer Keith Primeau- I said HOW can he be his cousin when Keith was born in CANADA!) UGH- I like to call people out on that crap! Sorry for the rant

Yeah- YEARS AGO! I was so psyched to see Cinderella at one of the small clubs, I forget the name (can you see a pattern forming here in my posts I forget everything ) the club was in Somerdale NJ. And I saw them at the Convention Center in Wildwood NJ. And of course on the big stage- but I forget who they were touring with.....of course......

......Me and DH
Old 06-18-2008, 08:16 PM   #28
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!

Yes, I will.......have the best of both worlds (singing with Sammy in my head LOL) I saw Cinderella open for....David Lee Roth!!!! LOL That was cool!!!!!

Old 06-19-2008, 01:52 PM   #29
Mayhem2008
Slipknot lovin' Maggot!

Quote:

I would like to thank Mayhem for getting me into Dimmu! She told me to watch their video, wasn't it the Serpentine Offering May? And about a week later my brother asked me if I wanted to go see Dimmu and Behemoth! It all worked out and here I am- going deeper!
Oh yeah..the Serpentine Offering is a breakfast song around my house I love that song and haven't been able to find the CD so it looks like I'm gonna have to order it off the net. I love to show people that video...it starts out like something from Star Wars but give it a minute and it grabs ya and YANKS you in! At least that's what happened to you Madd! Another one pulled into the evil..muwahahahahaha
Mayhem2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:04 PM   #30
jadedbeauty14304
DIS Veteran

Remember Skid Row? LOL My first concert ever was Skid Row and Bon Jovi when "18 and Life" had just come out on the radio. And I think Bon Jovi's "I'll Be There For You" was a new song. Oh, those were the days....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: