Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2008, 11:43 AM   #31
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Realized that if our plan is to go into the parks Sunday night and stay for the late Fantasmic show, we had best NOT get up early to go to DL. Might as well sleep in a bit and get to the gates of DCA around 9:20 like the CM told us to, for our 9:40 seating at Ariel's. Probably better than getting up in time to get to the gates of DL at 8:30 or even earlier.

That's probably best.

If hubby actually ever read the message boards where I post, he could see that I've now made a decision based on THEIR happiness. Yay, my solo trip worked!!!!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:35 AM   #32
daisy_77
BL II - Blue Team
I had no idea that we shrink as the day goes on

Enjoying your pretrip report, Molly! You are lucky to be going back so soon!

daisy_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-28-2008, 02:26 PM   #33
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Very lucky. Having my brother down there does help.

But just the other evening I was almost in tears, thinking about how fortunate we have been to be able to take these trips. At 3 years old Robert's dad was making more money (I'm talking about pure numbers, not adjusted by inflation or anything) than DH is, but they never did anything non-work related. DH did get to travel Asia, but that was work related, all paid for by FIL's shipping companies, and wasn't so much *fun* as just life. But I grew up VERY poor and didn't get to this sort of thing this young...even though we lived in San Jose, Disneyland felt a million miles away for most of my childhood. So yes, very lucky.

And even luckier b/c the other night hubby mentioned "when" we *all* renew our APs....

But I'm not sure if we'll do that, b/c I started looking for fun places to escape to, er, GO, for DS's 5th b'day.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 04-28-2008, 04:19 PM   #34
6Smiles
DIS Veteran

Wow! Less then a month! So !
Old 04-28-2008, 09:24 PM   #35
prettyprincessbelle
I'm just excited for the BBQ! Yum YUM!
Pots and pans? Seriously?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
...even though we lived in San Jose,
I've got family in Gilroy! Actually, my Mom lived there most of her childhood..
Old 04-29-2008, 01:09 PM   #36
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Mmm, Gilroy.... nice and garlicky.

My dad still lives in Santa Cruz (well, Aptos), most of my friends from HS still live in the general vicinity, well, if Sacramento is the general vicinity as SJ. Man I hated that town...I was allergic to all of it. Ran away (er, to college) at 17, my mom moved to Miami to be remarried, and voila, we were done with SJ.

Santa Cruz was nice (fresh breezes, not a valley where the air got stuck!) but we only visited every other weekend or so.

One Sacto friend was married in Oct in Rocklin, we wore black b'maid dresses, and I thought we were going to melt. Man that was hot.

Disney plan thoughts:

Speaking of heat, I'm dreadfully afraid of the heat next month! Is it going to remain as hot as some have reported? I'm afraid, very afraid....

Old 04-29-2008, 08:53 PM   #37
prettyprincessbelle
I'm just excited for the BBQ! Yum YUM!
Pots and pans? Seriously?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Mmm, Gilroy.... nice and garlicky.

My dad still lives in Santa Cruz (well, Aptos), most of my friends from HS still live in the general vicinity, well, if Sacramento is the general vicinity as SJ. Man I hated that town...I was allergic to all of it. Ran away (er, to college) at 17, my mom moved to Miami to be remarried, and voila, we were done with SJ.

Santa Cruz was nice (fresh breezes, not a valley where the air got stuck!) but we only visited every other weekend or so.

One Sacto friend was married in Oct in Rocklin, we wore black b'maid dresses, and I thought we were going to melt. Man that was hot.

Disney plan thoughts:

Speaking of heat, I'm dreadfully afraid of the heat next month! Is it going to remain as hot as some have reported? I'm afraid, very afraid....
Haha, very Garlicky! Yeah, SJ is weird to me.. All of Northern California is, I guess I'm biased because I've lived in Southern California my whole life, but just the way of life is so different to me..

But Santa Cruz is very pretty. I have several friends that go to college up there..
Old 04-30-2008, 02:21 PM   #38
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyprincessbelle View Post
Yeah, SJ is weird to me.. All of Northern California is, I guess I'm biased because I've lived in Southern California my whole life, but just the way of life is so different to me..

But Santa Cruz is very pretty. I have several friends that go to college up there..
I never understood being there either! In SJ you have to go somewhere to do anything. Into surfing? Cross a mountain or go south. Ski? Drive to Tahoe and spend your life savings. Want to hike? Gotta stay away from the mercury mines, it's not safe to go anywhere around there. and so on and so forth.

The CA ads with Jack Nicholson etc kind of get to me, make me think I'm missing something, but then I remember that when I was in SJ I did a big fat nothing, that everything cost so much to do we couldn't do it.

Santa Cruz...my dad just retired from UCSC (he wasn't a prof, just worked there as a "dorm parent" and in their security system) so I spent a good amount of time there! Since my dad was used to the wild lifestyle of those students, he always thought I was incredibly boring!!! He bought me a dorm fridge my freshman year of college (which started when I was 17) to store beer. Crazy dad.

Planning thoughts

Now I'm thinking about being at Disneyland before our breakfast again, if only to snag a birthday button and let DS have his phone call at City Hall.

Does anyone know if there's any place to do either of those things at DCA?

Last edited by bumbershoot; 04-30-2008 at 02:23 PM. Reason: forgot that the other name for mercury is a banned name on the dis! wondered what all those *** were about, LOL
Old 05-04-2008, 12:38 PM   #39
Cinderlala
Pixie Dust

Hello Bumbershoot!

I just found your pre-trip report & it looks so interesting to me that I'm saving it to read tomorrow! [I like to have something really interesting to read during the workdays----while my husband is at the office & I'm procrastinating!!!]

You always have such good advice for the people on the other board---I'm looking forward to seeing what your plans are ahead of a trip.

Me DH DS4
Cinderlala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 02:26 PM   #40
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Welcome! And thank you.

Well, now we're thinking about NOT going in on Sunday night. We really want to see Fantasmic, and I do want the boys to see the Electrical Parade, but I'm not sure our "want" equals $120, ya know? Might be nicer to just hang out in DTD, see if there are any non-Indiana, kid-friendly movies at the AMC...that sort of thing.

You know what they need, along with Jedi training? Swordfights with pirates. DS would love love love that.

Wrote up a list last night of "things that would be spectacular to do ON his actual b'day". Obviously it starts with the princess breakfast b/c that's one of his wishes. His other two wishes are to meet Mickey and Jack, which are both totally doable, assuming Jack is on Pirate's Lair as usual.

But other than those, Jedi would be fabulous, piloting Mark Twain really fun, and of course we'll hit the tortilla factory so DS can get his packet of tortillas

We had been going back and forth about the stroller issue, and finally just ordered one. Got a Volo, though one a bit more spendy than the one I wanted to order, b/c of DS's request of red vs blue (he loves red). The red one was 10 bucks more. The things we do to help him like the things we stick him in. ha.

I was kind of regretting the order, and that same day we took a little day trip up to Seattle. Walked down to the "link" (free lightrail through downtown Tacoma), went to the bus, went up to Pike Place Market. Had lunch, wandered around, had some fun...then took the bus back down to King st Station and took the Sounder (commuter train!) back to Tacoma. It was a nice day!

But during that nice day, we realized that even for an almost 4 year old, it' a lot of walking. And when DS gets tired he gets crabby. And when that happens, I offer a piggyback ride, and when he takes me up on that, I HURT. He's about to be 40 lbs, and that's just too much for more than a fun momentary piggyback ride.

Since that's what will happen at the end of a day, and since the walk back to hoJo is about the amount I carried him...having that stroller will be soooooooo good.

Though since the purchase was made to save my back, I do wish it could have been paid with our Flex account!

Old 05-05-2008, 01:24 PM   #41
Cinderlala
Pixie Dust

Great pre-trip report! It would be so stressful to be planning to move right before your fun trip!! But I'm sure you'll get everything taken care of efficiently.

We just bought a Volo as well! I am waiting for it to be shipped right now. We will be one of those families people complain about, since my son is already 4 & I intend to use it for awhile still, but with so much walking DS just complains & DH carries him, then DH complains. So it's really all about me!

Me DH DS4
Old 05-05-2008, 01:29 PM   #42
Cinderlala
Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderlala View Post
...with so much walking DS just complains & DH carries him, then DH complains. So it's really all about me!
I should be clear, it is not generally the walking in Disneyland that DS complains about, but at the end of the day when he is exhausted he will fall asleep in the stroller on the way out of DLR.

He won't even get in the stroller while in Disneyland, lest he should fall asleep!!!!!

Me DH DS4
Old 05-05-2008, 02:17 PM   #43
6Smiles
DIS Veteran

Wow your trip is coming up fast! Just out of curiosity are you going to take breaks back at HOJO's? And if so are you going to have the stroller the whole time or for just the longer part of your day? I was trying to figure out what we should do DD uses the stroller maybe 15 min to 1/2 hour even when we do day trips to the zoo or Desert Museum. I figured the days we are going for the whole day to bring the stoller but for the days that we are going in the morning/breaking and then the evening - we would just bring it out for the night. Any thoughts? Are the tickets for the movies expensive?

Thanks for the tips/suggestions on food. While I am not veggie - I don't eat a lot of meat and my DD3 rarely eats it.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:24 PM   #44
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Too funny. About the stroller/sleep refusal.

DS just went down for a nap, for the first time in awhile. He's been sleeping so well, too, I don't know why he's extra-tired!

Old 05-06-2008, 06:41 AM   #45
daisy_77
BL II - Blue Team
I had no idea that we shrink as the day goes on

We also have a Volo for our DD. We use it strickly for Disney trips and outings that require a lot of walking. We LOVE it!

Here's a lil' tip about the stroller----don't hang anything on the handles. If your son decides he wants to get out, the whole thing will fall backwards.

daisy_77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: