Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2008, 10:50 PM   #16
prettyprincessbelle
I'm just excited for the BBQ! Yum YUM!
Pots and pans? Seriously?!

That was funny about your son painting with water colors, not the house. Lol. That made me laugh.

The caprese sandwhich sounds fantastic. I'm not a veggie, but I lean towards it than towards meat (fish is a different story). I don't have the appetite for meat or chicken or pork or any kind of animal (again except fish) anymore. It depends on what it is and how I'm feeling. But about 80% of the time, meat turns me totally off. Ick..

So usually when we go out and eat I look at the veggie options.

I'm thinking of going totally veggie. But DBF's family is Mexican (Mexican = a lot ALOT of meat) and I eat over there pretty often and I would be starving. But when his dad cooks tri tip and everything, I don't eat it. Only in like tacos or something. But still.

My Mom rolls her eyes at me when I tell her I don't want to eat what she cooks because it has meat in it.. Or I just eat everything around it but the meat itself..

Haha, okay I'm done ranting..
Old 04-04-2008, 10:51 PM   #17
TXAng
Mouseketeer

Am I the only person who didn't know about the free tortillas with a birthday button? Hmm, sounds like I need to plan a birthday trip....

Loving your "pre-trippie" so far! Sounds like it's going to be a fun trip.

TXAng is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-05-2008, 05:43 PM   #18
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Hi to both of you!

prettyprincessbelle, that's a hard culture to be vegetarian around. So is hubby's mom's side, she is Korean. But I rarely see her (she is mean to me so I've washed my hands of her) so that's something hubby has to deal with instead of me. I went to my friend's wedding a year or so after I went veggie. They had a HUGE rehearsal dinner meal, everything Mexican and BBQ (friend's now-husband is Mexican on all sides of the family) and the item they made specially for the vegetarian was salmon. Um..... Oh well, I was new to being veggie and I ate it. Was very sick afterwards (had never had salmon before, and it turns out it is far too heavy for my stomach...I will now eat fish and chips every once in a blue moon, so I can handle the white sort of fish, but yowza NOT salmon) but I ate it. Nothing else there was OK for me to eat, everything had meat. So I feel for you!

TXAng I learned about the tortillas on the Dis, we all learn new things every day around here. It's weird how good those things are. Like I mentioned (here or elsewhere) we eat Mission brand tortillas almost every day in our house and they are perfectly fine, but having them FRESH was just incredible.

Today I asked DS what he was going to eat at Disneyland..."Mickey Mouse pancakes" was what he said. Oh yeah...River Belle Terrace here we come.
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 03:11 AM   #19
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

2 days into my "new regime" of eating and exercising, and things are going well. Pilates one day, big walk and just generally being outside the next day. Since I was sick for what seemed like well over 2 months, that's saying something! I wasn't sick that whole time, but the process of being sick then getting my lungs healthy (they are my weak link), and then getting sick again (and each time DS was sick first, so that adds time) and the very very LONG process of getting my lungs healthy again so that I felt safe going out (even grocery shopping was getting me out of breath and wanting to take a nap, and I am NOT a napper) was just very very long.

I feel like there should be more planning on my part, but I think I have most things figured out. Monday is the only day we're planning anything. I have hubby convinced to go on Sunday (ka-ching, say the registers, for those blockout passes) so we'll just need to make sure everyone is well rested and we can actually stay to see DEP and F!.

Since we're moving in mid-May (starting the process...we have from the 15th to the end of the month where we have both places) I really should be thinking more about that, and even packing, but packing ahead of time really freaks out the poor kiddo. We've been talking about all the things we're taking, and he was just amazed that we're taking the TV. I wanted to say "um, yeah, we're taking that, we just got it for Yule, we're not going to just leave several hundred dollars up on the mantle!" But I didn't, I was nice and non-sarcastic about it, just like I should be.

But we have to remind him that everything is going, but the cabinets and sinks and all of that, including me, hubby, and him, b/c last year around this time he finally let me know that he thought hubby and I were moving, and leaving him behind. I *had* said, repeatedly, that we were ALL going, but it just didn't stick, and I didn't realize it until he asked if I would visit him. Then he moved on to wondering if hubby was just moving over there. I know he's a year older, but we're still making sure.

So that's coming in front of our trip, and my planning loyalties are divided!

Saw pretzel bread at the store tonight, looked just like the caprese sandwich at Trattoria. Yum. Got hubby all psyched for going there.

And tonight we watched the Samantha Brown show, I love her. She can take a tiny plane to the jungles of Costa Rica and love it, she can go to Switzerland and stay in a hotel costing 1K a night and love it, and she can love Disney, too. My kinda girl (except that jungles have relatively large creatures that skitter and build webs and such, and I am waiting for a creature-free jungle before I go, LOL) (and I can't quite imagine ever throwing 1k a night at a hotel owner).

But adding the sites and imagined smells of Disneyland as she walked through (and helpful sights of WDW) to the heightened emotions I'm going through (my extended nursing-boy seems to have weaned all of a sudden and it is FREAKING me out...I feel like I was just fired* with no warning or explanation! and weaning can cause hormonal changes which I think we all know can cause emotions) was really hard on me. I started whimpering "I wanna be in new orleans square" and was actually rooting for the pineapple spear to win out but she chose the pickle instead, from the fruit cart near Indy. Gawd I'm weird. But like I said, sudden weaning (it was my job for almost 4 years!) can do that to a girl. Girl? Hmm. Whatever.

DS said that he wants to go on Splash mountain and get wet like papa and his uncle last Sept.

You can't tell me that little kids don't remember (so many of R's friends refuse to take their kids until they are something like 10, b/c otherwise they won't remember), if he remembers such a random moment as that!

OK I gotta get some sleep.

*editing a couple days later...got my "job" back, LOL. I was getting worried about the ghost of my mother haunting me, along with her still living LLL friends, since I myself got mama milk until I was 4, and all of my mom's friends write me letters every so often making sure I haven't weaned him, LOL. Though I'll admit that a day later I had sort of gotten used to the idea, especially since so many extended nursing women hold onto extra pounds that melt off after the kiddo is done.

Ok Ok I'll get back to Disney planning!

Last edited by bumbershoot; 04-13-2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:59 PM   #20
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

One previously-purchased cool light-up keychain light saber found, 2 to go!

I need to bring all the "old" souvenirs that I can, so there are minimal new purchases. I know it's a bit silly, but this kid has some toys, that he still plays with, from when he was 6 months old. He hangs on to things and still loves them! So bringing the light-up stuff will be good for everyone.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:43 PM   #21
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

So a week or so ago, I let Eamon take his autograph books out with us, and one of them can't be found. It's the one with princess autographs, his second Jack autograph, and such. Not expensive, not a devastating loss, but it involved some time (PFF line!), and it's a bummer that we can't find it.

So today I'm calling the stores I think we went to on our shopping trip, but they don't have it.

When he heard me talking about it, he ran to the "take to disney" box to look for it, and found the Mickey poncho. So he had to wear the poncho for about 10 minutes. Funny, he hated that thing in December, but now he likes it.

And the hubster caught a glimpse of RiverBelle's non-b'fast menu, and now insists we go back for their veggie po'boy. Says he used to eat them often (though not in N.O., but rather b/c his brother made them) and he would love to try a veggie version.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:43 PM   #22
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Time is ticking down, slowly but surely! 1 month 1 day until we get there, but we're getting to San Diego 3 days before.

Eamon has somehow gotten the impression that the characters are real, and I'm not sure how that happened. It was not my intention! Heck, he *calls* them characters! But yesterday we were watching one of those travel channel specials, and he saw Mickey at WDW on the show, and was bewildered. "why is mickey at di-neyworld???" Um, well, because he goes there, too.

I mean, I didn't want him to think they were real, but I don't want to ruin his fun, either... an odd dilemma...

We were taking a walk yesterday (he's getting so big we take walks, not stroller-walks, now!) and he was blowing dandelions. I told him he could make a wish, and he said "I have lots and lots of wishes!" Later on he wished out loud to meet Mickey. Well, OK, I think we can get that to happen somehow. (this was before the dilemma showed up, but I guess I should have gotten a glimmer of it then)

Trying to figure out if I should buy baking supplies and make him a cake for his b'day, or if I should hook up with a San Diego or Anaheim bakery that will make him a corn syrup product free cake...

I had the MOST disturbing thought about half an hour ago. I thought...what if we're going for too many days? We've spent a lot of time there recently, maybe I should cut it down by a day? I am not quite sure who hacked into my brain (OK that sounded funny and computer-geeky until I typed it, and then it took on a horror-movie sort of feel to it) and tried to take over, but I do not appreciate that thought! Harumph.

That said, this time we will have a car (my SIL's beast of an SUV, omg how are we going to afford gassing that thing up...might be cheaper to just rent an economy car) so IF for some heinous reason we do wish to get out, we could do so. Or just spend a day at the pool. With my two non-burning "boys" I would only have to worry about me... Of course, it will only be the Garden pool at hojo during our stay, which isn't quite as much fun. I imagine. I don't know, not having ever even SEEN the pools there...
Old 04-24-2008, 01:14 PM   #23
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Realized I should probably plan a *little* bit around MMs, since we don't have access to them.

Sat, Sun, Tues, and Thurs.

We'll likely go into the parks Sun afternoon.

Monday we'll be at DCA for b'fast.

Dang, so then Tues is MM.

Leaving Wed for FL.

OK then! Planning done.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:16 PM   #24
DLR29
We're cheap college kids
It's all in how you tour
We wouldn't want to be left on a cliffhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
I had the MOST disturbing thought about half an hour ago. I thought...what if we're going for too many days? We've spent a lot of time there recently, maybe I should cut it down by a day? I am not quite sure who hacked into my brain (OK that sounded funny and computer-geeky until I typed it, and then it took on a horror-movie sort of feel to it) and tried to take over, but I do not appreciate that thought! Harumph.
WHAT? Too many days? How can you say such a thing?

DLR29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:40 AM   #25
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I know!

Hey, I was just looking at your August '07 report, and your picture in the back seat of the Splash log would be *perfect* to show on the Splash seating thread...
Old 04-25-2008, 10:19 AM   #26
6Smiles
DIS Veteran

YAY! I got an update! Sound like you've got alot going on and Moving TOO Too many days at DL - I have to laugh because I told my husband the kids might get tired of going every day... My DH laughed told my older kids and everyone was laughing at me. Oh well. Looks like we'll have a no fuss, no muss very relaxing vacation and at the time we are going it shouldn't be that busy. I love the DIS! So informative and great people. It sounds like you have a great trip planned....Can't wait to read your trip report and see your pictures err... after you move?
Old 04-25-2008, 02:28 PM   #27
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Yes, the move...ugh.

It's across the street. Such a pain. Especially b/c suddenly now my son has stopped complaining about this place. He now loves it, loves the apt manager, blah blah. Doesn't mind that it's too small and that there are still unpacked boxes (this will be our THIRD move in 3 years, each time around this time of year), now he loves it. He's been saying he hates it, hates the manager, thinks it's scary, there are bad guys, monsters, etc...but now that we are moving, it's all stopped.

It's to a good place, though, with our old landlady (doesn't that give a certain mental image that "old landlord" doesn't? she's actually only 5 years older than me) who is a good good person and a good person to rent from. It will be great. A pain, but great.

And she's giving us from May 15, so we can basically get moved in before the trip, then come home and clean for two days solid.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 04-25-2008, 07:21 PM   #28
6Smiles
DIS Veteran

Three moves in three years! That is a lot! Well moving and packing at the same time might not be too bad. Did you ever find the autograph book? Maybe you'll come across it when your packing to move!

OT: My DD(6) just asked me "Mom when you were a little girl a long, long, long, long, long time ago did you go to the beach?" How old does she think I am?

Well as I was saying your DS has his birthday and DL and his Bday at DL to look forward to so hopefully the move will be okay for him. At least he is familiar with your "old land lady" Did he like her? And a bigger place how can you go wrong. He sounds like a pretty resilient kid to me!
Old 04-25-2008, 07:29 PM   #29
Hedy
I'm 22 27 and I still kind of stammer
If you're old enough to hold a job, you're old enough to not burn popcorn

1 month.
4/93-Dixie Landings*12/96-Dixie Landings*2/02-POR*DLR-8/05-Royal Stovall's Inn*3/06-POR*12/07-POFQ**8/08-POP/Dolphin*10/09-POFQSwan 12/10*Podcast cruise 12/10*AKV 8/11*AoA 1/13*AoA 4/13 Universal: 7/08 HRH, 7/09 RPR, 8/10 RPR
*A vegetarian and pescetarian do Disney dining 12/07*Hedy and the Carnivores 08/08*Hedy and Lexie Rock Vegas 12/08*
'Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten

Hedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 03:28 PM   #30
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Smiles View Post
Three moves in three years! That is a lot! Well moving and packing at the same time might not be too bad. Did you ever find the autograph book? Maybe you'll come across it when your packing to move!

OT: My DD(6) just asked me "Mom when you were a little girl a long, long, long, long, long time ago did you go to the beach?" How old does she think I am?

Well as I was saying your DS has his birthday and DL and his Bday at DL to look forward to so hopefully the move will be okay for him. At least he is familiar with your "old land lady" Did he like her? And a bigger place how can you go wrong. He sounds like a pretty resilient kid to me!
He can be resilient, though he is also very verbal when unhappy...I expect he will "hate" the new place for about 7 months then love it. Oh man do I hope we love it too.

Friends and family get on our case for not owning, but owning feels so permanent to me...what happens if you buy your dream place and it turns out to be junk? It would be horrible! (more on that later)

It's too many moves, even for me.

We were living in an apartment complex where our once and future landlady was and is the manager (MIL lives in the complex now). It was a good apartment with good management, but the people around us were unsavory. We realized we had to leave there (after 3 years) when the people below us pushed us too far. Some were having all night parties (with small children), letting those small children out at all times of the day and night without supervision, and other neighbors had untrained, aggressive, not-allowed-by-the-complex dogs that couldn't be kicked out b/c they were service dogs. Alas, the owner NEVER took the dogs WITH her, so I'm not sure how well they could serve her... I could have come close to dealing with the dogs (I like big dogs but there's one breed that unnerves me and those dogs were it) except for their aggression and overprotective behaviour towards their owners, which meant they thought that any of the neighbors were the enemy. The female trapped DH in his car two times, while the owner's boyfriend watched and called for her ineffectively from his second floor apartment, until she finally gave up interest. We knew that it would take a LONG time to prove legally that they weren't service dogs and therefore they could not be there (and in fact 3 years later they are still there), so we just left.

That's when the landlady/manager told us she bought a townhouse and would rent it to us. It should have been wonderful. But when they got to closing, Condo association paperwork was handed over; it was marketed as a townhouse (where you own the land) but was actually zoned as condos, so the 4 owners had to do condo association stuff...one of the reasons for moving there was for a fenced backyard, but the owner whose land it would border REFUSED to go along with it, so we never got our fenced yard. It was spider-ville, and I HATE spiders. We couldn't get anyone to spray b/c of the "condo" thing; no one else felt they were a problem. Then after $700 of power bills to "heat" the place for the winter, when we were NEVER even close to warm, we realized we had to leave.

There were other, bigger, problems, and as we moved out we felt SO bad for the owners who lived in their units, b/c their places (a year old) were starting to fall down, the builder ignored problems, and they were getting ready to sue the builder. SO glad to be renters in situations like that...

And so we moved here! But we've never unpacked fully, b/c the space is all wrong. Some small spaces are liveable, b/c of the way they are set up. This place is all small, short walls so you can't get more than one shelf unit on one side, and we need lots of shelves! There are aspects we really like (there's a movie room!) but there are too many jerky tenants living here on their parents' dime (it's near a couple colleges) and don't seem to care about the other people living here. The elevators are new (the building is younger than DS!) but touchy, and I'm more worried about them breaking down while we're inside. etc etc etc.

The kitchen is also so much smaller than I thought it was, and I really like to cook but am extremely limited in this place!

The new place has a huge kitchen with tons of *useful* storage, the rooms are bigger with long walls and useful storage (the master bedroom has a California Closet closet!). Most of the other tenants (it's a condo building) are retired, so if anyone's loud at night it's b/c they can't hear (and I'm working my way into lowered hearing myself, so I can certainly relate and also might not really be able to hear it! MUST get my hearing checked and I bet I'll have a hearing aid soon...darn those concerts during my 20s), not b/c they are having a raucous party. They re-did the inside of the place a year ago, and it's gorgeous inside, with a bay (er, port of tacoma and weyerhauser pulp mill) view blah blah blah.

Plenty of space for my photography and scrapbooking stuff, in order to make our DISNEY memories more than digital.

WHEW, I knew I could bring that back to DISNEY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedy View Post
1 month.
I know!!!!

Today I began to wonder if we should move our Ariel breakfast to the last or second to last seating. Why? Why when we love the idea of getting into DCA early?

Well, it's at 9:40 so that's not THAT early.

But also b/c it's on Monday, which is a no-MM day. Next day is Tuesday, which is MM. Making Wednesday, our 4th day there, our first day where we could easily and quickly go through Fantasyland. That just doesn't feel acceptable!

We're thinking about it more, and once we make more of a decision we'll call to see if there's another time. If there is, then we can get up early, go play in Fantasyland between 9 and 10, then make our way over towards DCA for a later breakfast.

I really did love the idea of getting into DCA early, though!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!

Last edited by bumbershoot; 04-26-2008 at 03:34 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: