Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2008, 08:11 PM   #151
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Another break in the story.

On the night I'm telling about currently, I got a travel mug, the pearly blue and white one with Minnie on it. Best 5.05 I spent on myself in a long time, especially b/c that initial outlay included a coffee.

They aren't "refillable", meaning you don't get a discount on coffee refills, but you CAN use them to get more coffee in the future, and pay for said coffee.

I even checked the volume that the normal coffee cups hold to the plastic one, and they are the same.

I use it for coffee in the morning, water through the day, to hold a beer at night if I feel like it, then water next to the bed at night.

So happy I bought it!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:29 PM   #152
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Ahhhhh ha ha ha ha haha.....

For the first time in a long time...my computer ate my post. I have a year old MacBook and it's gotten weird recently. Instead of warning me that it might shut down in around 10 minutes, it's just turning off with a lovely little CLICK, when my battery thing shows 20 minutes of "juice" left. I was actually finishing a sentence before turning to plug in, as it did it.

Then my Firefox "restore previous session" didn't work, b/c it couldn't establish a connection to the internet, and the refreshing seemed to make Firefox forget about what the last session was.

What joy, to have to recreate a post right now!

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-09-2008, 11:57 PM   #153
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

OK, my bitterness has abated somewhat.

I edited a story into post 115, b/c I totally forgot that we were there on the 26th at rope drop, and that we met a nice family. Except for the nice interaction, it's not hugely important to the story, but whenever I add something in to a previous post I do like to make note of it.

I had mentioned that
Quote:
the next picture I took was at 9:16am and 27 seconds, of a window on Main Street.
Well here's the window!

We headed into Fantasyland, and stopped to take some pictures. Take a good look at the saber, b/c we're pretty close in the story to losing it.

Our first ride of the day was Casey Jr. Love it! It's so speedy, but you don't expect it to be. We got in line, but as soon as we were surrounded by people, someone had to use the restroom. Now if I were taller or if Robert were more agile, we might have just had someone pop over the fence, grab Eamon, and go, then come back the same way like I've seen people do at Peter Pan. But I'm short and he's still working on getting the agility back, so we asked the CM to help us get to an exit. She told us to just come back at the exit and she'd get us right on; isn't that sweet?

Business was taken care of, but we just got in the normal line again. It wasn't long and we didn't feel the need to skip a few minutes, though it sure was nice of the CM to offer!

After riding Casey Jr's trains, someone waiting in a wheelchair at the exit said hi! Turns out it was the lovely Idaho family we had met 2 days before. I didn't recognize them at first b/c the woman in the wheelchair hadn't been in one when we first met her...different perspective and sightlines I suppose. they were still sweet!

After that, it was on to the Teacups.

Well, it was after that thrill that we made the fateful decision to go to the Princess Fantasy Faire. Eamon did still sort of want to see princesses, so we headed over.

I took some pictures of the place, so let me set the scene. As you look in front and to the right, at the mournful sight of a closed-up Small World, let your gaze turn left. You see bathrooms and a sidewalk leading up into a tented area. Big almost floating marquee (tent) over a large area.

As you walk up the ramp and park your stroller, to the left is a treat and Brats counter service place (ask HydroGuy how much he and his son liked the Brats!), and some seating just to the left of it. Your gaze looks beyond that seating, and you see more seating, and that's the crafts area. They have crowns you can decorate with stickers and crayons, and printouts you can color, all sitting out very nicely.

As your gaze continues to the right, you see stairs leading down, then further over you see a usually HUGE line snaking back and forth in front of a tall wall. All the way to the right you don't see much of anything, but if you explore, you find that if you go right past the line, you enter the princess-stuff store (though I think they do have Prince Philip foam swords and shields back there too).

So back to the craft area; it's what E wanted to do, and this is the area for it; I'm inside the area, looking back towards the way in.

Since E was amusing himself nicely with the stickers and crowns, and Robert was hanging out with him, I went to the edge of the crafts area and looked out and over a very tall and safe ledge, protected by planters with lots of fake plants.

To the left, as I looked over to the stage area, I saw the storytelling spot, where princesses come out and tell their tales. They were getting ready to start. What princess would it be?

Aha, look who came out!

Sitting in her spot to start the story. I told E who it was, and he said crankily that he did NOT want to go down there b/c he did NOT want to have to dance with a princess again (he was chosen to dance with Aurora in December).

My mind wandered (the princess voices are hard for my ears to deal with, though I could very easily copy them, probably perfectly, much to my "I'm a mature woman, dangit!" chagrin) and so did my camera lens.

To the right of the storytelling spot, with floor seating (the floor is where the kids sit for storytelling) and a stage up above that, this is where I guess they have some or all of the Coronation ceremony.

Looking further to the right, just part of the set.

Aha! My first glimpse into the princess store area!

And now I've turned nearly all the way around; the wall behind the audience in the bleachers...on the other side of that wall is the princess meet and greet.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:16 AM   #154
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Eamon has a "thing" for the Ladies in Waiting. He got a signature from one of them the last time, and wanted one from another this time. He kind of surprised her, as she was handing out crowns and stickers to amuse the kids while waiting for the ceremony, so here he is explaining while she figures out what he's asking.

Last picture of the light saber, by the way.

It's Lady Jacelyn, by the way. She's too cute.

We made our way out and towards ToonTown. We stopped at benches to apply sunscreen, have some water, and I believe, have a bit of a little argument. Sigh. At some point during this process, the three of us lost track of the saber.

Oh, and it turns out Robert wasn't tweaking b/c of us, but b/c he was thinking about his dad (who died in November of '06 omg was it that long ago? oh poor Roberto ) and being yelled at by his dad in front of the Partner's statue area when they last went to Disneyland as a family...he was upset and not wanting to talk about it.

Anyway, E and I wandered away, and I took the following shot...and somewhere during all of the kerfluffle, we lost the build your own lightsaber.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:44 AM   #155
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

E went running for Goofy's house to play. I went after him, and Robert went to park the stroller. At some point...Robert realized that no one had the saber. I tell you, the panic that ensued, you would have thought we'd lost a hundred dollar saber!

Then again, I'm still haunted and peeved at myself for losing 20 bucks that I had folded into my shorts cuffs when very pregnant. We were on our way to Lowe's and I was bored and didn't have a purse with me, then we got out of the car and I forgot it was there, and we never found it. I'm still bugged by that, so I guess it makes sense that we were so bothered by the loss of a $20 item.

But Eamon didn't much seem to care. He monopolized the funny piano in Goofy's (though this time he did share with up to 2 other kids at the same time (oh the noise!)), he ran around and around, he stood in line for the slide and waited until kids were already down...had lots of fun.

I bought a bunch of grapes (have you noticed how much fruit we bought on this trip? relatively to previous trips, it was quite a bit!) to help cool him down (toontown is hot). Robert went off in search, then we'd swap it out while E played...back and forth.

I was with him when he decided to meet Goofy (again).

Well, E refused to go on either of the TT rides, and he had had his fill of the gags in there, so we made our way out. Stopped at any and every kiosk and gift shop along the way, asking if anything had been turned in. Nothing had.

Decided to go...well, somewhere in Tomorrowland, and we were cutting through the Jedi Academy area (in the "off" time). Saw a pirate Mickey hat sitting there, no one around it. Aw man, a lost hat!

I insisted we go to the CM manning the Jedi area, and told him about the hat. He liked that we hadn't touched it, but had simply told him about it.

Well we decided that since we were there, we might as well see about the Academy! R and E settled in for a wait. I took some pictures and went wandering to Star Traders.

Well, Star Traders was for nought. There were two sabers sitting there, and the girl tried really hard to see if the one was ours. It had blue color discs, it was the right handle, it was a clear blade...oh we so wanted it to be ours! But I could tell that the doohickey at the top of the handle wasn't right. And she said it didn't have batteries, then checked with the lady who had handled it before, and that lady said it didn't have batteries when it was checked in...basically it wasn't ours. Wah.

Went back, I stood at the back of the waiting area while R and E waited at the line...it all got very exciting. I made a little sign for Eamon to hold, using my 7th grade "fun" and big block writing skills, he was excited about that. He was wearing his "4th birthday trip" hat with a birthday cake screenprinted on it (from VistaPrint) and the CMs were lookin' his way.

They had the kids stand up, and....30 minutes of sitting, then standing, made Eamon realize he had a bladder. (very similar to sitting on a bar stool drinkin' beers for a couple hours...as soon as you get up off that stool, your bladder is activated and you will now go every half hour...or is that telling too much about my 20s???) Noooooooo! Well, when you're new at being 4, if you gotta go you gotta go, there is no risking wet pants for a 4 year old who has been out of diapers since he was 2. So, in tears, the three of us left, just as the Academy got started.

Heartbreak. Awful. Horrid.

You know, everyone on the WDW boards goes on about how awful it is to have little boys pee in cups or bottles while in line, but I will tell you this. If we hadn't been right up at that line, and if it had been a bit more private, I would have whipped out a bottle and let him pee in it, because that was heartwrenching. A 30 second pee takes 15 minutes at Disneyland, and if we'd had the blanket with us we very well have let him "go" in a bottle.

Girls get to wear heels and get on rides before they should...boys can "go" in bottles while standing and protected by a blanket. It's only fair.

Well, that was just rotten.

I have no idea what we did next. Might have been Buzz, maybe Star Tours but that would have been hard to go through the giftshop.

I do know we had lunch at the Plaza Inn.

Eamon had the penne pasta with marinara kid's meal, and Robert and I shared the same dish, but adult sized, with a big ol' side salad. YUM. We realized we could have saved about a buck and gotten more food overall, if we had just each ordered a kid's meal and shared the side salad, b/c we would have gotten a small water (or a soda or milk or whatever), apples, carrots, and the same half breadstick that we each got. It was good though, and made us much happier.

While sitting in the sort of porch area inside, we had a view of the CM entrance/exit back behind the Plaza bathrooms. We saw Alice, the White Rabbit, and some other characters; it was kind of fun.

Well, with bellies stuffed, we decided a nap was in order, and we headed out. But on the way....random princesses!

While the pictures load, I'll mention that Eamon can't seem to figure out "how" to pose with characters. He got into autographs b/c he saw other kids doing it, but really he likes the talking part. He will start chatting with the characters about any old thing, and the characters will sign his book while they talk and talk, and then when it comes to the posed picture, Eamon really doesn't care. So I've learned to just snap away, and to find the best picture, which doesn't always mean the posed one.

However, with Cinderella, it was the best!

With Sleeping Beauty, however, it was this one.

The last Aurora picture was taken at 58 minutes after the hour.

We went over to Lost and Found to the side of DCA to see if anything was turned in and make an official report (give them phone and address, just in case), then we left and headed back. This picture was taken after getting onto Harbor and crossing the driveway for taxis and CM lot people.

At 22 minutes after the very next hour...

Last edited by bumbershoot; 06-10-2008 at 12:48 AM. Reason: spelling, bolding
Old 06-10-2008, 12:49 AM   #156
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

By the way, kudos to anyone who noticed the Pacific Northwest *shorts, wool socks, and sandals* look he was sporting.

Ah, gotta go to beddie bye. So bye!

Last edited by bumbershoot; 06-10-2008 at 12:59 AM. Reason: say goodnight
Old 06-10-2008, 03:44 PM   #157
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Where was I? Oh yes, a nap that started before we even got halfway up Harbor.

Nothing is remembered about the nap or walk back, and the only proof I have that we returned is some pictures and receipts! Ok that's an exaggeration.

I know that we went on Jungle Cruise while it was still light, and Eamon had fun this time. I also know that he ate a green apple that we got from the Adventureland fruit and souvenir area. Maybe we went on Pirates (I know we went more than once during our trip) as well? I have no solid idea.

But I do know that we bought Eamon a replacement light saber that evening; one of the $10, smaller, smaller "blade", no sound no light ones that he originally wanted.

Some pictures!

I love Tomorrowland at dusk.

At this point, I seem to recall E getting hungry, and wanting, very specifically, macaroni and cheese. I pulled out my notebook for my partial, and old, list of menu items, and found the French Market.

Augh...just as we were approaching it, it closed. Dang! I think we had some sort of snack with us, so his hunger was helped a bit, and he wanted to go on Pooh.

We went down there, and though I think I went once, they went a couple more times while I peeked around in the sweets shop there, trying to find things E can have. The fudge ALL has corn syrup in it. WHY are they putting corn syrup into fudge? My mom made deeeeelicious fudge and there was no corn syrup. Dang!

Caramel apples are out b/c caramel has corn syrup in it. Tigger Tails are out b/c marshmallows have gelatin AND corn syrup, so I didn't even have to look at the ingredients for the coating (they have a big book with the label information behind their counter, by the way). Nothing nothing nothing...ah, cookies.

I decided to go with the semi-safe for them, and got them a sugar cookie and a snickerdoodle. I got the Mickey head cookie dipped in chocolate (I was certain the chocolate had corn syrup...chocolate that is used like that generally does to make it smooth in consistency) for myself and ate it covertly. They knew I was eating something just like they were, they just didn't need to SEE what I was eating, you know?

As we were walking out of Critter Country, snacking, I encouraged Robert to go on Haunted Mansion, since he hadn't been on it without the holiday stuff up. E and I went to Royal St Veranda, and I bought my favorite souvenir, the coffee mug in YOMD colors! I got mine with Minnie. I've used it every day since then, I just love it. On the flight back home Robert had it in his carryon, and as we opened the stroller he realized the lid was gone! Ack! He went right back down the ramp and found it. Best 5.05 spent on myself.

When Robert was in the HM building, the line closed, so even if I wanted to ride I couldn't. And I didn't, not really, not at night all alone. It's not the cemetary that gets me, it's the hall of doors and the heartbeat in the attic. I love the ride, don't get me wrong, but it's spooky!

Well, that ended our day there, so we made our way out. This time we walked out with the general population b/c we wanted to stop for food. We thought we were going to Mimi's, but stopped at Millie's to see if they had mac and cheese.

They did! We ordered the mac and cheese, which comes with a salad, to go. Also ordered the garlic bread. To go. It was only 12.69 with tax but not including tip, and the meal was HUGE!

When we got home it was only going to be R and E eating, but it smelled sooooo good I had to have some too. The 1000 island dressing was delicious, the salad was big and good. The pasta and cheese was very good, and the garlic bread was excellent. Based on that one meal, I can heartily recommend Millie's!

And that ended our last full day of the trip.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:54 PM   #158
Hedy
I'm 22 27 and I still kind of stammer
If you're old enough to hold a job, you're old enough to not burn popcorn

Poor kiddo needing to use the restroom.
4/93-Dixie Landings*12/96-Dixie Landings*2/02-POR*DLR-8/05-Royal Stovall's Inn*3/06-POR*12/07-POFQ**8/08-POP/Dolphin*10/09-POFQSwan 12/10*Podcast cruise 12/10*AKV 8/11*AoA 1/13*AoA 4/13 Universal: 7/08 HRH, 7/09 RPR, 8/10 RPR
*A vegetarian and pescetarian do Disney dining 12/07*Hedy and the Carnivores 08/08*Hedy and Lexie Rock Vegas 12/08*
'Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten

Hedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:44 PM   #159
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the empathy, Hedy.

I've been thinking more about it, and you know...I felt that E was still too young for the Jedi thing anyway (similar to the big light saber). And it's possible that his being unable to hold it for the 20 minutes or so that the academy would have been (and he wouldn't have, or if he could have held it he would have made it VERY obvious) is a solid sign that he's not quite mature enough for it.

Or I'm just trying to feel less bad about it, b/c really, we should have thought about it while waiting so long, but we didn't.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:11 PM   #160
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Every time I think about writing up the last day I get sad b/c I want to go back to White Water Snacks and have breakfast again and again! Man it was good, and looking at the pictures I took makes me both hungry and sad.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:24 PM   #161
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

What, no one liked my pictures?

Harumph.

OK, I'm over it.

Not that it really matters, but I realized earlier that the arrest happened on Tuesday night. Because I definitely remember two mornings of increased security checks, where they needed to look in ALL the pockets. I have a baggallini! That's a lot of pockets.

So it was Thursday the 29th. Waaaaah, it's leaving day!

Got up, got out. Checked lost and found. Still nothin'. Sigh.

We love DCA so that's where we went. Got some Soarin' FPs as we went by on our way to White Water Snacks! The food-getting area isn't that impressive, but the food and seating areas are, and that's all that matters.

We got a bagel with cream cheese (for Eamon, who was so hungry he was saying he was NOT hungry...when he yells that we know he'll eat anything put in front of him, LOL), a breakfast burrito without bacon, and a french toast stick. Coffee for the grownups (I put mine in my mug). You pay, are given a number card thing, and sit. Then they bring it out to you.

I didn't try the bagel, but E wolfed it down. The burrito and french toast were supposed to be shared half and half between me and hubby, but I became a snarling Alaskan malamute (the type of dog I was raised with, very food-protective) with the first bite of burrito. I did end up sharing a couple bites, but I ate most of it. SO good. The french toast sticks were good too, but it's really hard to mess up that. The guys of course couldn't eat the "syrup" they gave for the sticks, but I tried it and it was NASTY. Cannot recommend the "syrup"!

Hunks of potatoes and fresh tomatoes inside. Fresh salsa. Thin tortilla that just made the whole thing incredible. I poured the salsa inside and by the end of the burrito the salsa was dripping down my hands and I didn't care. Hubby was giggling, watching me wolf it down; I sometimes (often) have food aversions, so when I find a food I adore, he is happy.

I always have to take a picture with my coffee.

French toast sticks.

Again we were impressed by their fruit. Both plates had strawberries as garnish, and although we gave most of them to Eamon, it was a little bit hard to let go of all those strawberries. So good.

We ate outside, and it was a little bit chilly where we were. But beautiful! We wished that we had followed everyone's advice to eat there much earlier in our trip. Made us more sad that we were leaving that day.

On our way out, hubby made his coffee more perfect (he had barely drank any b/c I didn't get enough creams and sugars for his taste). Then Eamon did something obnoxious in the stroller and it knocked hubby's coffee to the ground. The CMs were SO kind; helped me clean it up, and told hubby to go in and tell them what happened so he could get a new coffee.

We left the GCH, happy. We were easily able to re-enter through the special exit/entrance (we had left through there) even though it was only just after official opening (the park had opened unofficially at 9:30), and we didn't even have to show receipts.

It was time to try something we had never been to before, the (as they call it on the disneyland site) Redwood Creek Challenge Trail Featuring "The Magic of Brother Bear" show.

Eamon had great fun in there, but the 42" requirement for the zip line tire thing nearly sent him over the edge. We took him in there to make up for the fact that he's not quite big enough for Grizzly (we let him measure on two separate days), and he didn't find it fair to see another exciting thing that he wasn't tall enough for!

But the other stuff he enjoyed.

While R and E played in there, I went out for Grizzly and maybe Soarin' (I rode Soarin' once on this trip, I just do NOT remember when!!!). Actually it probably was Soarin', b/c I remember being gone for awhile (they remember that too). Loved both, as usual.

While I was gone, Eamon again got the fun of having clothing-prepared, relaxed parents, while other children were screamed at for even stepping in the water areas there, let alone lying down in them like a certain red-headed boy did. Oh I wish I'd seen that, or that hubby got a picture, but I didn't and he didn't.

Eamon started off with his tennis shoes and socks, but didn't see the water in this area. It runs very slowly and gently, and it really didn't look like there was water. He was very surprised! Since we had his Crocs it was no big deal to change his shoes, and he took off again (this was before I left for Grizzly).

While I was gone...

There's a "spirit cave" where you, I assume, put your hand on something, there are lights, and you are told what animal spirit you are/have.

Eamon was a wolf spirit, and Robert was a bear spirit.

I got back as the time for the Brother Bear show started, and I rounded them up.

Well, it was something of a disappointment, b/c they were having some sort of technical difficulty. We saw some sort of effect as a big totem moved, but then someone came out and manually put it back. Then a very harried looking CM came out with Koda with some sort of explanation that the "spirits" weren't with us today, but Koda and Kenai would be out for pictures.

Kenai had to be called a couple times, then hurried in miming that he had been asleep.

Hubby doesn't normally pose for pictures, but he was bothered that older kids (should know better) kept jumping in front of DS, so Robert snagged Kenai and Eamon to take a nice posed shot (at last!).

Then the show was done.

Last edited by bumbershoot; 06-11-2008 at 05:45 PM. Reason: typos
Old 06-11-2008, 06:30 PM   #162
Sleepless Knight
Jedi Knight Seeking His Jedi Princess
There's a time and a place for each

Your pictures were very nice. Loved the comment about not knowing how to pose with characters. I love the fact that the characters still do some wandering around the DLR and it's not all dependent on finding them at the meet and greeets.
Sleepless Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:06 PM   #163
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Well now it was my turn to amuse the small one while Robert went on Grizzly and maybe Soarin' (what is wrong with us? such a good ride but we can't remember when we went on it???). Whenever R rode Soarin', and it must have been that day b/c it was the only day we had FPs for it, he went with a FP but went Single Rider instead. He loved the SR line. (though as I think about it, doesn't the SR just use the FP line? I'm confused)

Eamon and I went over to ride Monsters, Inc many times.

As we got there and parked the stroller, he wanted to change out of his wet clothes (from using the "stream" as a bed), so we headed over to the restrooms in that area. We saw Goofy and Max, and E wanted to meet them. (he has met Goofy approximately 18 million times and he NEVER tires of it)

As we got up to them, I took off E's Mickey hat and fluffed up his hair in the current sort of messy sticky-uppy style that boys are allowed to wear. I did it just b/c otherwise it would be hat-head, and of course that's not allowed for a 4 year old, lol. Anyway, I did that, and when he got up there, Max noticed. Max pointed at E's hair then at his hair...it was very funny.

Their time together came to an end and I closed my camera, and then Max grabbed Eamon and gave him a HUGE hug.

Changed E's clothes and went to Monsters.

He kept talking to other families while in line, slowly inching his way into their space, and away from me. I swear he was trying to dump me. He was getting angry with me on the trip; apparently it's MY fault that he's not 42" tall. And every time a "no" was said by us or by the rules of the ride, or the rules of being nice about not being overly wild, it was MY fault. Oh well, he's better NOW.

Well we went on Monsters at least two times in a row, had great fun! Then the last time around when something happened.

So look at this fuzzy picture.

Now this.

Whoa, that's quite a difference, what happened???

Well, you know, that's where the ride stopped. And almost immediately the CMs were on the public address system telling everyone to stay put and they would come get us soon. I mean almost immediately. When we had a ride stop on Roger Rabbit's in September, it took a bit before they told us to stay put. So that was surprising.

Anyway, we got to walk out, and it almost seemed that the locker room was the furthest from the load/unload area!

They told us not to touch anything, and of course we complied (as did the nice couple from New Zealand, with whom we had a fun conversation about how Australians say things vs how those from NZ say things). But the couple that had been in front of us, they got behind me and Eamon and I noticed the guy touching *everything*. He kind of "boinged" little Boo who thought she was safe in Sully's arms in an alleyway, and touched just every little thing. AUGH. I was very glad he made sure he was behind us, b/c I didn't want Eamon to see that. Nor did I want E to comment on it, as I didn't want to "start" anything while walking through Monsters!

When we got outside, Robert was back, and he enjoyed our story.

Since I still had Screamin' to go on, we split up again; they went to waterworld AKA bug's land, and I went my own way. It was the second time I gave up my camera that day! Ack! I felt nakey.

I was SO scared getting on Screamin'. If you saw a woman in a grey cotton skirt and tennis shoes (and shirt, people, no worries) muttering to herself, wondering what on earth she was about to do, that was probably me. Remember, the only other time I went on it was at dark after some liquid courage known as Blue Moon ale! But this time I would SEE the track. AUGH.

Well, I went to the Single Rider line (after picking up the pass from the CM at the normal entrance) and was on in NO time at all. Thankfully I wasn't in the very front like I was for my first ride. And....it was GREAT! It really is a good ride.

The launch, again, was almost unbearable. If I even thought I had a heart condition I can't imagine wanting to ride it again, it's that much pressure. But it's over fast, and then you're just zipping along. Again, I loved the loop, having again forgotten how easy and fun loops are. And then I was done, walking off drunkenly after having my brain sloshed around a bit.

In the meantime, Robert had found the "sports" mode on my camera where it takes picture after picture after pictures without releasing the button. He took a TON of pictures.

E first ran around the bountiful farms water area (it's like a Where's Waldo book, looking through all the pictures R took, trying to find Eamon sometimes!), then they went to the other one, the GOOD one, the one that gets you soaked.

BFarms area, is it any wonder he gets soaked?

Good soaking area.

At one point Robert had to chase him down b/c E's shorts were falling off. He did get some pictures before starting the chase, but no one needs to see E's booty.

Then he found a leaf.

Back to me.

When I was done with Screamin' and probably a little bit of walking around, I decided to get the mango + lime combo I've heard so much about. I had 3 gift cards with TINY amounts left on them, and decided to use them up on this purchase. It took the CM ages, especially b/c she resisted typing in the numbers. Once she did that, they worked, and it went faster. Sorry, if any of you were behind me.

So I took those over to the guys. Robert ate them all; I have no interest in mango and E turned up his nose at them. Robert was not sad that we didn't snarf his mango treat.

I got to change E into dry clothes. It was not fun! Having a cold and wet kid hanging onto any part of you he can grab, complaining about being cold, but being noncompliant with your commands is just not a walk in the park. Argh. But at last he was dried off and into warm clothes.

When we came out, Robert wasn't there. I looked around and saw him near Flik's Flyers, talking to a younger boy who seemed lost. Robert, being a male, didn't want to take the kid off to find a CM (suspicious-looking) so was trying to talk to the kid, to find out where he lost his parents, etc. The kid wasn't saying anything, and looked really freaked out. Robert said that when he saw the boy, the boy was screaming towards Flik's Flyers, like his family was on it but he didn't make it on. Robert was really worried!

So I went over with Eamon.

And just as I got there, this boy's father came over. Told us that the boy was deaf (he was not wearing a visible hearing aid), and that his parents had been watching him "the whole time".

Um, OK...if your kid is deaf, and there is NO hearing aid visible and the kid is NOT signing anything, and your kid is obviously prone to wandering away from you, shouldn't you have some sort of "note" on the kid so that strangers don't get freaked out for the kid? Robert was jittery for an hour, he was so worried about that boy! Robert's been lost as a kid before, he knows it is scary! AND if the family had been watching the whole time, why didn't they come over during the minutes Robert was trying to talk to the kid? What took them so long?

Well obviously they were NOT watching him the whole time. I mean, the kid was screaming at one point, and then being talked to by a large, strange man? Yeah, right you were watching him the whole time.

I'm developing a bit of a hearing loss myself, and I want to wear a sign letting people know that I might not hear or understand their words (even Toocherie picked up on my hearing problem when I met her on the 25th!), let alone if I were a child. Harumph.

My man is a big ol' softie, and he wasted valuable time trying to help that child, only to find out the parents were, well, I don't know what they were. But they sure weren't being watchful.

And then it was time for Robert to do Screamin', to work off some of the adrenaline in his system from thinking the boy was lost.

Well, it was hot, our day was long, and Eamon was not happy. He expressed that unhappiness by being very very mad that he was not 48 inches tall. He wanted with every fiber of his being to go on Screamin'.

Basically E had a big ol' tantrum near the accessible entrance (aka single rider line entrance). Sigh.

Robert did his usually fussing thing, and I shooed him away at last, b/c fussing over E isn't going to make him grow 6.5 inches, nor is it going to let him get to sleep! Eamon continued to cry, but then quickly fell to sleep. Whew.

Then things got weird with the single rider line!

Usually, you go in and you stand on the "other" side of the loading platform. As they have an empty seat (say a party of 3 board, leaving one seat open) they call the next in line over. You hand over your pass and get in. Once you're in with the restraints down you can't really see the person next to you, so it's no big deal (at least not to the single rider!).

But I guess the line got too long (I should stop telling people about the SR line!), so they had the whole group go up in an elevator, over, and down to the normal loading side in another elevator. They were then in sort of a pen.

I assume the plan was that the CM over there would start taking single riders from that pen, whenever he came across an empty seat. BUT he ignored them all! They stood in the "pen" for what felt like ages, while people who had newly entered the SR line were called forward to fill seats! I don't know what Robert felt like during that process, b/c I didn't want to harp on it and ruin his fun ride after the fact, but watching it was rotten. I wanted to go in there and smack that CM.

Finally someone was able to get the CM's attention to ask why they weren't being let on, and he let them go.

Robert had a sort of funny moment when he put his arms up to pull down the restraint. I guess he put them both up, but pulled mainly with one arm, and his outside arm got stuck straight up. He had to get the CM's attention so they could loosen all the restraints, and R was able to pull his arm in and get the restraint down. It didn't bother him too much, though, he was just glad he could fit into the seat and restraint!

Off they went!!!!!

He got off the ride, exhilarated. Thought about going again, but decided not to, to keep that ride perfect. It was great.

Next it was time for a snack.

Last edited by bumbershoot; 06-11-2008 at 07:18 PM. Reason: fixed some goofs
Old 06-11-2008, 07:10 PM   #164
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless Knight View Post
Your pictures were very nice. Loved the comment about not knowing how to pose with characters. I love the fact that the characters still do some wandering around the DLR and it's not all dependent on finding them at the meet and greeets.
Hi! You snuck in there.

Sorry about the momentary "no one likes me" moment up there.

It is really fun for Eamon and Robert to run into random characters. OK, and for me, b/c I like watching them have fun.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:28 PM   #165
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Well, I guess I have to finish our trip someday...might as well be now. Robert's at our babysitter's (landlady's daughter), tutoring her in Algebra in a last minute attempt to pass the class. E and I just finished dinner and I have a glass of wine...and we're watching Empire Strikes Back.

Again.

When I left off, E was having a nap in his stroller, and Robert had finished riding Screamin'. Robert had called my brother to let him know we were "late" in leaving so we would be late in getting back to their place. All was good.

But we were hungry...where to go, where to go. Aha! Cove Bar was open!

We decided not to go through the gate closer to CA Screamin', because there's a step up, and we wanted E to keep sleeping. So we went to the Ariel's restaurant entrance, told them we were going through to the Cove, and went on through. Passing through and past the stairs to get to Ariel's, a chandelier thing.

I had looked at the menus for Cove Bar online, and knew we would get the artichoke dip. I thought I was going to get a Glowtini, but since it was still a bright day I figured that was a bit silly. So I got what my receipt calls the Pina Colava. A dis'er called it the Coolava, and that makes sense b/c it's cool and looks like lava, but I saw the receipt first, LOL.

We went in and found a table, sat down. When no one came over, Robert went to the bar. While he was waiting there, a server came by. I told her R had gone up there, and she went away. Then he ended up back at the table, and the server came back. Moral of that story? Don't confuse them by leaving your table.

We got waters and enjoyed the view while trying to keep Eamon, who was in total shade with a breeze going by, warm enough to stay asleep. Then our food and drink arrived!

So good. Creamy, not chunky with artichokes (I love artichokes including their texture, so I could complain a little bit, but then it was the best warm artichoke dip I've ever had, so I'll stay mum b/c I don't want them to change it).

My drink. mmmmmmmmmmm.

And that's my pink baggallini bag next to it.

I wish I could end this on that moment, with the sunshine around us but an umbrella over us, with a breeze blowing by, looking out over the water and a view of the fun attractions...but I can't. We did go back over to Disneyland briefly. But I'll end THIS post with the view from the Cove Bar.

(I tried to make the colors pop out like they were to my eyes, but photobucket doesn't play all that well with my Mac, and I didn't feel like updating whatever I had to update to do it. Just know the colors are MUCH brighter in real life.)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: