Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2008, 09:18 PM   #136
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

(taking a break from unpacking and general stuff-placement)

By this time it was after 11am, and those half-cookies were wearing off! What to have for lunch? Hubby wanted Mexican at the Cucina, and I wanted the veg chili in a breadbowl. What to do? Changed Robert over to my side, of course. So we got a kid's meal at Cucamonga, and chili from Pacific Wharf Cafe; Robert and Eamon stood in line for the kid's meal, and I went for chili. Surprisingly, I was out of line first!

We started asking for waters everywhere we went, and while PWC gave me a small cup, Robert got a BIG cup of ice water. Harumph. And the kid's meal comes with a little water bottle, so that was good.

Breadbowl chili....

A certain child approved (then again, he loves sourdough).

I think we all helped out with his rice and burrito, and I know that at some point we changed tables and then there was some running around on E's part. Robert ate the fruit cup that came with E's meal...can you imagine a worse combination than burrito, mexican rice, and fruit cup? Well yeah, when you throw chili into the mix! I can't imagine how Robert's stomach felt, but I know it would have made me ill.

Well, after that filling meal we had to go on the tortilla factory tour! Short and sweet, that's the tour! They gave each of us a tortilla, and we were happy, but then someone else noticed E's button and we were even happier when they handed over the big packet of fresh tortillas. They are SO good.

We decided that Monsters Inc was next on our list, so we started wandering over. E was looking at the water wave thing, when we noticed a certain two chipmunks.

We were about to move on when I noticed a commotion. Mickey! I think you guys have figured out by now that I really don't care about characters, but gol, Eamon had wished on a dandelion to meet Mickey during this trip, so I knew he'd be excited. He went on over there.

Just as he got up to Mickey the line got, well, non-existent, and there were a few kids around Mickey. I was trying to pull E away b/c he had butted in a bit, but Mickey grabbed him firmly by the hand, along with another child, and started walking over to where he usually has a line in the Sun plaza.

When they got to his spot, I realized that Mickey thought Eamon was part of another family. He had some kids and Eamon pose for a picture! I was embarrassed and said that E should come out of the other family's picture. Mickey heard and put his hand over his mouth like "oops!", and E started out. The "handler" CM told us to go to the end of the line, which had gotten VERY long. I was going to do so, b/c I don't want to argue (but y'all would have HEARD about it when I got back), but Mickey was having none of that. He came away from the family, got me and Eamon, and put us at the front of the line. Then somehow E was asked to be in the picture with the other family, b/c they thought the whole thing was cute and wanted his picture. Then they had their own shots, and finally it was E's actual turn. Whew!

It was very nice, how much attention Mickey was paying to the whole situation (though it was his goof that sort of caused it).

At last we were off to Monsters! We rode it three times. Three seems to be a pretty big magic number for E and the number of times he'll ride something in a row.

After that we went to the Muppets 3D show, which was E's first 3D experience! He was a bit nervous at first, but I showed him that he could take the glasses off when he wanted, and put them on when he wanted (or when I said "this is a good part, put them on!"), and he got used to the visual effect. There weren't many people in the theater and we were alone in the back, which I was glad for, b/c it allowed me to talk to him about the glasses without worrying that I was bothering anyone.

On the way out of Hollywood, on to bug's land, we were hot and wanted something refreshing. I stopped at an ice cream cart when I noticed Haagen Dasz...but it's the toffee almond crunch bars they sell, and those have corn syrup! Ugh. She was SO sweet (the CM) and empathized that there's not much "fun" food at the parks that E can eat, and she pulled out one of each of her inventory so I could read the ingredients. Lo and behold, the chocolate covered bananas were safe for him! There was MUCH enjoyment of the chocolate covered banana.

Then it was on to.....

bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:35 AM   #137
50sjayne
DIS Veteran

More more !
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-06-2008, 12:13 PM   #138
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Eamon let me sleep in this morning (which means he was roaming around the bedroom, putting bandaids on his fingers, putting little offerings near or under me, you know, total fun for him and a little disconcerting for me to wake up with a light saber nearly up my nose) and I'm still a little woozy from sleep. Gotta wake up a bit and then go for a walk to Starbucks (got a gift card) for some brain-awake juice, then I'll come back and continue with the 27th.

In the meantime I have to figure out why my wrist hurts so bad! I know Eamon yanked on it hard the other day, and I remember yelping that he almost broke it...ouch! I also emptied at least 20 boxes yesterday afternoon. Quite thrilling!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 06-06-2008, 07:22 PM   #139
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

The next part of the day I'm kind of forgetting, so I have to get pictures and receipts to piece it all together. So this might take awhile, sorry!

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 06-06-2008, 08:53 PM   #140
mommyof2boys1girl
I shall call him squishy and he shall be mine...and he shall be my squishy.....C'mere, squishy!

over E being adopted at DL! How adorable is that story???

I am disinclined to acquiesce to your request!

Dh Me Ds Logan (11) Ds Adam (9) DD Allie (7)

Pre-Trip Report 2008 - Springtime in Dl for the Wilsons! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1753272
Pre-Trip Report 2010 - It took 2 long years....http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2423621
mommyof2boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:28 AM   #141
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Carm you have no idea. At another time during the trip, he kept talking to other families and trying to get with them in lines, leaving me/us behind! It was like he was saying "see ya" to us! Crazy kid, he won't get rid of us THAT easily.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:05 PM   #142
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Ooh, we're getting close to finishing the 27th and moving on. I got my receipts in order (and I will now always think of the inane movie Dungeons and Dragons when I look at Disneyland receipts, b/c hubby decided we needed to see if it was 'really as bad as we thought it was' last night, and watched it in high def as I found all my receipts, put them in order, and got envelopes for each trip) and just now we talked it all through while looking at receipts and pictures.

But right now we have to move some stuff around in the rooms that the movers and R and his friend put in bizarro-land places! Ooh what fun.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:59 PM   #143
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Okey dokey! When I last wrote anything meaningful, we were headed over to the land of bugs.

We, of course, rode Heimlich's, but, surprise of all surprises, there was a line! Since we're very used to just staying on the ride and going around and around, or if forced to get off we just rush around and through the line and get on again, the idea of waiting in line did not appeal. Only ONE ride this trip. Unheard of!

Did the "bumper cars" which were, as usual, uncomfortable and not that much fun.

Flik's Flyers was neat as usual. I wish the whole area was designed like that; using little things bug's might come across as the ride vehicles, instead of using the bug bodies themselves.

Pretty.

A straw in the grass in the lawn below that rundown, haunted old Hollywood hotel.

Quick spin on the pseudo teacups. It was spinnier than I remembered!

I don't remember where this was, but I like the picture.

We left bug's land and I took charge of Eamon while Robert went for his very first ride on Grizzly. We had some drama involving Eamon not being tall enough but *desperately* wanting to go on it. He's an honest kid, so there's absolutely no chance we'll ever stick socks in his shoes to help him hit the mark; we know that he'd blab about it to the CMs. It was a long, drawn-out drama and I've done my best to put it out of my mind.

Robert went on it, without a poncho, while Eamon and I walked around the area twice. When we got back to the locker area we had timed it perfectly, and we saw Robert just before the geyser. He saw us, too, so that was fun! He was pretty drenched, but he was hot and welcomed the water.

Then we switched (more drama) and they went off to try for the Zephyr again. I had a great ride on Grizz, but they weren't able to go on their attraction b/c of too-high winds. However, the Pixar Play Parade was about to start, so Robert found a relatively quiet spot (E was exhausted and was losing his cool, and was not enjoying the high noise level of the area) and they watched it. I must have gone on more than just Grizzly, but I don't really remember (maybe Soarin'?) b/c I didn't get over to the area until the parade was almost done. Of course I was trapped on the other side, so I just watched then waited.

Then there was a bit of a meltdown (ha!) in the bathroom, as my sweet son screamed how much he hated me. Sigh. A CM cleaning the bathroom was so bothered by it that when we came out of the stall she kind of gave him a gentle talking to. I didn't mind it; he wasn't listening to me at all, but he did listen to her and he calmed down and stopped saying those things. On the other hand, it was hot, a long day, and he does NOT like being told to try to use the restroom when he doesn't have to, so I wasn't *that* surprised by the tantrum.

We got outside and the CM-chastened boy-o put his head on my shoulder. Here you can see my Pooh ears and how he had started to rub off his face paint.

Now here I'm completely confused. There's a 3 or 4 hour gap (I just noticed that my camera is an hour off), and all I have in my notes is "E sleep, MRE hop, ME Poohx3, R got gumbo for us). It seems it would have been kind to go back to the hotel, but I don't have that written anywhere. I also don't have a note of what E ate that night, but I know he didn't eat gumbo!

So anyway, I do know that Eamon and I went on Pooh three times in a row while Robert got two things of gumbo in a breadbowl. We met in the area where we would hang out for Fantasmic, if F had been going while we were there.

While walking to Robert, we came across two "plaids". That means the VIP tourguides that can be hired by regular people, or that are assigned to fancy people. I know from almost going on the "ladies only" trip that one guide is for a smaller group, and that they add guides as you go over 10. So 2 "plaids" would have been for a big group.

Hmm, I thought, that's not a big group. Double-hmm, it all seems to be 20 something pretty people, all just standing around texting and looking into space. The plaids don't seem to be telling them anything, they are all just standing there. Hmm, I'm thinking this isn't a hired group...

I start scanning, while walking slowly towards the group, to see if I recognize anyone.

And I think I did. I have NO proof of this, as I'm not a big one on obviously snapping pictures, and once we got to Robert and I tried a covert picture it didn't work, but I believe that it was Kevin Federline and some hangers-on. The guy standing alone really REALLY looked like him, and I really do believe it was him.

Even though I'm not a big fan, it's still fun to see a celebrity, and that's the first I've seen at Disneyland.

We ate, it was good.

Started getting dark and we decided to ride the train to relax. We did so, it was nice (I chatted with a nice lady who had a smallish but VERY verbally adept and intelligent 4 year old, and they were WDW experts having what sounded like a really good first time trip to DLR), and we got off at Main Street.

But we still couldn't seem to leave! So we went in to see the 50 Years movie, and after that, finally, it seemed right to leave.

Eamon was asleep, without any assistance from us, by 9:30.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:22 PM   #144
TiggerandTink
Mouseketeer

I just love reading about your trip. I get so into it and then all to soon I'm at the end of the installment. More Please

It's too bad E couldn't ride Grizzly, I'm sure he would have loved it but its nice that you were able to switch off and both of you got to ride.

I'm glad your CM-chastened boy was able to settle down though after his meltdown. Sometimes all it takes is someone else to talk to them besides the one that they are irritated with at the time and things settle down. I know with mine the more tired they get the more likely it is that one of them will have an issue with something. We always try to do so much and sometimes I think they just get overstimulated and then crash when the energy level winds down. Sounds like your case though was very short lived which is nice and lets you get on with your wonderful holiday.

And I love it when we get back to the room and can talk for a while about how our day went and what we would like to do the next day and then my kids go to bed with so much as a hint of resistance. Their just too tuckered out. And don't they always just look so precious laying there sleeping.

DH ME DS10 DD8
TiggerandTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:41 AM   #145
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Hi!

We now have another excellent way to get E to eat "real" food and vegetables, so he can first get on Grizzly, then Indy, then Screamin'.

Tonight we were watching a Travel Channel about extreme coasters and he decided he needs to go on the Hypersonic XLC at King's Dominion. Um....no!

I'll admit that the night of the 27th he didn't feel very good. He got pretty hot overnight, and I was worried about him. But he woke up cool and raring to go. We did mix up a bit of Emergen-C in a water bottle for him, to boost his immune system, and that's what is in this picture.

Here's another pictorial travelogue of getting to the park, this time down the populated side of Harbor.

This is the parking lot of HoJo, looking back down where we had just walked.

Turning around, what we have left of the lot.

That's at about 8:55am.

Crossed Manchester, here's Mimi's at 8:57am and 26 seconds.

Looking down the road at the Fairfield at 8:57am and 35 seconds.

There's the sign for Fairfield; pic taken at 8:57am and 39 seconds.

8:57am and 49 seconds, looking towards the unpopulated side, really wishing we were over there.

8:58am and 14 seconds, up to the sign.

Here's Millie's, at 8:58am and 31 seconds.

McDonald's, 8:59am and 9 seconds.

(be back in a moment)

Last edited by bumbershoot; 07-29-2008 at 07:45 PM. Reason: added some bold, was reading again and realized I had a 3 when it should be 5
Old 06-09-2008, 12:58 AM   #146
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

OK, we were coming up on McD's at 8:59 and 9 seconds.

Here's the driveway of the Camelot at 8:59am and 56 seconds.

Camelot is practically connected to the Carousel, and here's where they are "one", at 9am and 8 seconds.

Their sign at 9am and 12 seconds.

Tropicana's sign at 9am and 53 seconds.

I think this was the day that there was a Pepsi truck attempting to back up into the Tropicana's driveway. Since the pedestrians weren't giving the truck the right of way, he had to wait and so then our "group" had to wait. There was a bit of time delay b/c of that, in my pictures.

Looking across the street and south a bit at 9:01am and 32 seconds.

The sign for Park Place and Captain Kidd's up ahead, at 9:01am and 49 seconds.

Across the street again, 9:01am and 51 seconds.

You can see the Disneyland Resort sign across the street at 9:01am and 57 seconds.

I didn't take more pictures of the walk, but we crossed to get "to" Captain Kidd's then crossed Harbor, went along the well populated path, through security and into the gates, and the next picture I took was at 9:16am and 27 seconds, of a window on Main Street.

Last edited by bumbershoot; 06-09-2008 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:58 PM   #147
mommyof2boys1girl
I shall call him squishy and he shall be mine...and he shall be my squishy.....C'mere, squishy!

Molly,
Loving the time lapse photos of the walk - that should be a sticky over on the general board - for those who want to know how far their hotel is from the park....cool idea!!!

waiting for more....

I am disinclined to acquiesce to your request!

Dh Me Ds Logan (11) Ds Adam (9) DD Allie (7)

Pre-Trip Report 2008 - Springtime in Dl for the Wilsons! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1753272
Pre-Trip Report 2010 - It took 2 long years....http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2423621
mommyof2boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:00 PM   #148
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Glad ya liked it.

Before I continue, I wanted to mention something odd that happened on that second night we were there. Well, we're 99% sure it was that night...there's a slight possibility it was the evening of the day I'm on right now, but we think it was before.

As we were leaving Disneyland, we saw something you rarely see. A person being surrounded and detained by security. It was at that middle big gate that they open at the very end of the evening, when they don't need to keep count of departures anymore, so it was right in the center.

They weren't whisking him away, he was standing with his hands around the bars of that gate, and they were either frisking him or he was holding on to the gates to keep from being whisked away. Hubby says the guy was holding on; I think they were frisking him.

It was weird!

And then the next day, there was obvious Security everywhere. I've never noticed the security personnel like that. I'm sure that others didn't really notice it, but b/c we had seen that guy being detained so blatantly that night, they really stood out.

Since I don't remember if it was Tuesday or Wednesday, I don't know if this was Wednesday or Thursday so I'll tell it here, too.

With all the increased security presence, nothing was as obvious than in the bathroom near the exit of Space Mountain.

We didn't go on SM but we were nearby and I had to use the restrooms. I made my way up there, and saw a veritable knot of security guys outside the women's restroom. They weren't hiding or being furtive, they were just standing there.

As I walked in, I saw a tall female security guard, looking around. I used the facilities, and then washed my hands verrrrrry slooooooowly while watching her. As each stall was used and left by the user, she would go in...I finally noticed that she was looking in the "feminine hygiene" trashbin (um, ew?) in each stall, then moving on to another.

As I dried my hands, again, verrrrry sloooooowly, I saw what you almost never see. An undercover security person. She was just a woman, very short hair, jeans, plain t-shirt, you wouldn't look twice at her. But she stopped to talk to the security lady, and the security lady actually talked with her, instead of just being standoffish and point directions. And then I noticed her earpiece, with the little coiled cord going from behind the ear under her shirt.

There was something up. As I left the restroom, the two security people from the bathroom left too, and huddled with the 4 guys still standing outside.

I am a nosy person, always have been, and I soooooooo wanted to know what had happened, and if it had to do with the guy we saw being detained.

Story done, move along; I'll get the next bit of our normal stay ready asap!

Old 06-09-2008, 05:06 PM   #149
toocherie

By the way, the foregoing is not LEGAL advice
I'm also easy--it says so on all the bathroom walls

Molly that is so weird--would have freaked me out for sure!

I couple of months ago I was watching the Parade of Dreams . . . . everyone was of course sitting on the curb, and across from me was a guy with a backpack. I hadn't noticed him . . . but before the parade started three or four security guys came down the middle of the street and when they got in front of him they suddenly turned and literally did "whisk him away"--people around me were like "did we just see that?"

Just like you, I'm nosy and wanted to know what was up . . . but of course couldn't ask. (and they wouldn't have told me anyway!)

I'm thinking maybe he was a pickpocket and kept his booty in the backpack. At least I hope that's what it was.

toocherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:32 PM   #150
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Oh wow, how freaky that would be to see!

And that's what made this situation stand out so much, that he was NOT being whisked away. That's why hubby thinks the guy was holding the bars...but I just figured that whatever he had done was SO bad they just wanted to make sure he was "clear" before taking him away.

And what's weird is that either here or on the two other disney boards I play on, they were JUST having a discussion of security and undercover security, and how you so rarely see them. How they just appear out of nowhere to help lost children, etc, then melt away into the crowd when they aren't needed anymore.

These people were being obvious about NOT melting away so to me it was the Disneyland equivalent of going to an airport outside of America where the security force carries machine guns instead of discreet weaponry. It just seemed really in your face! (but you're glad they are there to protect the innocent)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: