Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2014, 11:22 AM   #1
DWGal210
DIS Veteran

Halloween Party as a Solo Traveler

I am going to be in WDW on September 1st, and am considering going to MNSSHP. I have been to the party before, but not solo.

Have you done MNSSHP and/or MVMCP solo? I don't imagine I would dress up in costume, I'd probably get some cute Minnie ears and call it a day. Would love to hear others experiences.

DWGal210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:19 PM   #2
justlook3
Mouseketeer

I went several years ago. I was in at the parks to attend a wedding and my husband couldn't make it. I figured since I was down for the weekend I'd check it out. I bought a Halloween themed shirt from the Disney Store and that was what I wore. I enjoyed riding the rides, people watching and enjoying the overall experience. I did get soaked on Splash Mountain as I got sat in the front seat! That wasn't that fun.
But I also found it almost easier to find a good spot for the fireworks. One person can squeeze in anywhere.
I didn't trick or treat because I did not need candy in a weekend full of wedding stuff (I also had the planning session for my own vow renewal so it was wall to wall wedding cake plus the wedding's dessert party).
Noone even blinked at me being by myself. [I did get a couple of what happened to yous as I walked around dripping after Splash Mountain. Never again in that front seat!]
Most recent trips: 2004 (3), 2005(2),2008
justlook3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-02-2014, 08:32 PM   #3
sky13
Mouseketeer

Not MNSSHP but I've been to Mickey's Halloween Party in DL solo - I'm guessing that the experience should be similar though?

I went because I was on a solo trip and I'd read so much about the Disney Halloween parties and it all sounded amazing, and since I happened to be there...

I got a girl pirate costume (!) and wore that. While waiting for the shuttle bus to DL I met a family also going to the party (their costumes were amazing) and talked to them. When they found out I was solo they invited me to join them for the party, which I thought was really nice of them - so went around with them for the first half of the party and had lots of fun! Split up from them later on as we wanted to do different rides, so I was truly solo for the second half of the party, but still had lots of fun doing all the rides and trick or treating!

I loved the trick or treating by the way, had so much candy at the end!

Disneyland 1993 1995 2012 : Tokyo Disneyland 1996 : Walt Disney World 2001 : Disneyland Paris 2007 2008 2012 2013 : Hong Kong Disneyland 2010
sky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:02 AM   #4
DelftBlue
Mouseketeer

I am going to the Halloween party solo this year for the first time. I have been to the Christmas party solo twice. For the Halloween party, I am going to go in costume.

I enjoy people watching. What I liked about the Christmas party is that everyone seemed to be in a festive mood. I had a great time just watching people. A lot of people wore cute holiday outfits. One of the perks of being there solo is that you can take your time and look at everything.

I'm looking forward to the Halloween party because I want to see everyone's costumes and the decorations. I'm also super excited about wearing my own costume.

The first Christmas party I went to was really fun because I finally had the chance to see and do what I wanted. It was a very "all about me" trip. The second party, I wished at certain moments I had someone to share the experience.

The Halloween party should be a good experience since I haven't gone before and I already have a long wish list of things I'd like to do while I'm there.

Last edited by DelftBlue; 06-03-2014 at 08:04 AM. Reason: add a word
DelftBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:18 AM   #5
SueDonym3
Earning My Ears

I have!

I went last year. I had been to the Halloween Party twice before as a group so I had a little experience. I find dressing up to be fun and have a lot of fun planning costumes. Cast members and other park guests engage more with you when you are in the spirit, I have dressed as Ursula- that was a hit, esp. When I stopped by Ariel's Grotto for a picture. I have done other characters as a solo and as a group. Villains are more fun. As to differences going solo- the difference is I can stand in line multiple hours for character photos with no one complaining....seriously so much easier as a solo than with a group. Highly recommend!
SueDonym3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:39 AM   #6
ludari
DIS Veteran

I went solo last year to MNSSHP at Disneyland in costume and have gone several times solo in the past. For me it's not a big deal and I usually speak to more people during that time especially if I am wearing a costume.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014

ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:34 AM   #7
MADnNOLA
DIS Veteran

It Will Be My 4th Time This Year - Solo

I LOVE it! I have gone in costume each time, and so enjoy the atmosphere, the short lines, and getting the candy! I'm just a big kid! Meet and Greets are great, and the people watching is half the fun!

Haunted Mansion Portrait

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails." - Samuel L. Clemens

MADnNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:07 AM   #8
BrianL
Doom Buggy Driver

I did it solo last year, on Halloween night, in costume, and it was a lot of fun! People will definitely talk to you, especially if your costume is great. It is easier to get around, and find parade/fireworks spots.

I may go again this year, but am not sure yet (have a November trip to LA planned, but gonna get in some DL time while there for sure). I love to do stuff on Halloween, but there is nothing around here that is worth doing. My friends are lame and don't like to go, so solo it is!

Lifetime WDW Visits: 6 (Plus 1 DL)
When leaving Disney, heed the advice of the Ghost Hostess and...
"Hurry Baaaack! Hurry Baaaack!"
BrianL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:52 PM   #9
Disney Frenhines
Mouseketeer

Do it! I've done it twice and I'm more into Trick or treating while there than anybody, from a deprived childhood where we didn't do it. I am gutted as the last one is October 31st and I go out on the 29th, I went to get tickets and they are sold out, so no MNSSHP this year, so next year.....any excuse to go to WDW eh.

Addendum, Dopey here hadn't realised there were no AP discounted tickets for the two nights the party was on while I'm there, so I'm now booked for October 31st, no costume planned, but, I do have a beautiful Halloween T shirt I bought several years ago at WDW. Now to decide if I'm doing the MVMCP too as the ticket will have an AP discount.

Last edited by Disney Frenhines; 06-26-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Disney Frenhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:55 PM   #10
Disney Frenhines
Mouseketeer

MADnNola, your costumes are fantastic, kudos.
Disney Frenhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:40 PM   #11
Suelala
Mouseketeer

I have been pondering going solo, so thanks for all this input. I really want to see the parade!
Suelala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:03 PM   #12
Rapunzey
Earning My Ears

I'm most likely going solo next year, so I'm glad to hear that people have enjoyed it solo.

What type of costumes are there - like, which are the more common ones and which would be rarer?
Rapunzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:24 PM   #13
IceSkatingPrincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzey View Post
I'm most likely going solo next year, so I'm glad to hear that people have enjoyed it solo.

What type of costumes are there - like, which are the more common ones and which would be rarer?
There's really a mix. Classic disney characters, oodles of princesses, star wars people, haunted mansion people, and I remember a whole ton of Harry Potters/super heroes.

I believe this will be the year of 1000 Elsa's.

I really encourage you to dress up, it is so much fun!

DH & I: Rocky: Bagel:
IceSkatingPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:38 PM   #14
Rapunzey
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceSkatingPrincess View Post
There's really a mix. Classic disney characters, oodles of princesses, star wars people, haunted mansion people, and I remember a whole ton of Harry Potters/super heroes.

I believe this will be the year of 1000 Elsa's.

I really encourage you to dress up, it is so much fun!
I hope too. Hoping to go as Rapunzel (bit boring I know, but she's my fav). Though it depends on how much of the... student life body baggage... I can ditch between now and next year!

I can only imagine how many Elsa's there will be. Was looking at some of the Rock Your Disney Side photos on the internet, so many Anna's and Elsa's!
Rapunzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:38 PM   #15
anonymousegirl
DIS Veteran

I've done it solo for the past 4 years. Sometimes in costume, sometimes regular clothes.
I go for the character photo ops, the parade and HalloWishes fireworks. Don't do too many rides and often do two parties in one week.

The photo ops are amazing-- princesses with their princes/beast, all 7 of the dwarves, the villains after the castle shows, and the special haunted mansion photos with the ghost carriage.

Over the years went as Corpse Bride, a pirate, Snow White (with red apple!). This year it will either be Queen of Hearts, Malificent, or Megara.
1973 Disneyland Hotel;1985 WDW Grosvenor; 1988 same;1994 off-site; 1997 off-site; July 2008 POR; December 2008 Pop Century; January 2009 Contemporary, BCV; March 2009 Pop Century; May 2009 Grand California at DLR; September 2009 SSR; December 2009 Pop; May 2010 DL off site; July 2010 Disneyland Hotel; October 2010 Disneyland Hotel; January 2011 Saratoga Springs;May 2011 Disneyland off-site; October 2011 AKV Kidani; DLR OMDD Leap Day 2012; June 2012 BCV/Vero Beach; September 2012 All Star Sports; December 2012 Grand Floridian; DLR off site February 2013;DLR off site for Long Lost Friends week April 2013;DLR Paradise Pier Hotel July 2013; DLR off site November 2013;Aulani DVC January 2014; WDW OKW May 2014; WDW SSR VILLIANS UNLEASHED! Aug 2104;WDW October 2014; CBR/DCL December 2014
anonymousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: