The Internet's Largest and Friendliest Disney Community WDWinfo.com | DISboards.com | Dreams Unlimited Travel
DISboards
Sheraton Resort Orlando
Beautiful Rooms and Atmosphere

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions > Hotel & Accommodations Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2008, 11:00 AM   #16
Hasil72
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawyerLady View Post
We are owners of several timeshares and exchanged into Orange Lake through RCI. The website shows a lovely 2-BDR condo and lists all amenities and we thought we'd get a condo like the one on the website, especially since we were told that when we booked. However, we were stuck in an old single-story unit with a rotten view, moldy smell, old furniture, a toaster that caught fire (replaced with two different toasters), mold on the shower curtains, dead bugs, and a decade-old VHS. Oddly, the resort rents DVDs, but not VHS!
That was our experience as well (minus the toaster incident). We went as an exchange with RCI through my husband's family and were placed in the West Village. It was a huge disappointment when we were expecting the newer units that are shown on the website. But it was still better than our exchange experience with Westgate. I wwould just call and ask to be placed in a newer section. Just not the "villas" (single story townhouse appearing area) that are on your right as you enter the complex through the main gate. Have a great trip!
Old 04-01-2008, 12:03 PM   #17
Snoella
Mouseketeer

?Hasil72--How long ago were you there? I was just curious if this was recently. On the phone, they told me all the units in the West Village had been renovated. If your trip was recent, this obviously isn't the case.

Me DH DD11 DD9
Snoella is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-01-2008, 12:31 PM   #18
Hasil72
DIS Veteran

Snoella, they may have been. We were there back in 2006. That would explain why there are so many conflicting reports floating around. A lot can happen in 18 months.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:42 PM   #19
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

stayed there a couple of years in a West Village,.

they are the single story units.

my only complaint no hot tub in the master bath.

the rooms was nice and had just had a rehab.

I would think by now all of the West Village has been rehab.

the units it self was very nice - new carpert - new just about everything.

both of the bathrooms - were on the small size.

this part of OL is the oldest. one of the originally timeshares in Orlando. So it is old.

we had a nice time. West Village is on the golf course.

my other problem - big one - not enough pools for the amount of condos.
plus the 2 pools I visited - are like the pools at disney's value resort - not deep enough. Plus I hate to have to drive to visit the resort swimming pool.

now if you are golfer you will love this place. If you are not - you will find you have to drive to most places. they do have a bus - but it is slow.

plus I really, really hated the traffic light that lets you out on US 192 - one Sunday morning (6:30 am) going to visit my cat (FW kennel hours were 7am to 8pm then) - we sat at that traffic light for 12 very long minutes. Nothing on us 192 and mean nothing - the light did not change for 12 minutes. To me that was at least 11 minutes longer than necessary. That was and is my BIG complaint about this resort.

you definitely and mean definitely need a car for this resort. Don't even think about staying here without one.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:46 PM   #20
Snoella
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the info.
We are renting a car. Apparently, the pool in the West Village has also be renovated into a zero-entry pool (not sure if it is completed yet). Hopefully, the villas too.

I will post when we get back about any improvements etc.
Thanks again.

Me DH DD11 DD9
Snoella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:57 PM   #21
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

there wasn't a pool at west village - than there was one at the club house.

we used the one in north village - it had a slide.

the one in West village was just a pool.

but even the one in West village would have a long, long walk.

like my pools to be within a 5minutes or less walk from my villa.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:47 AM   #22
aidenndelaney
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasil72 View Post
That was our experience as well (minus the toaster incident). We went as an exchange with RCI through my husband's family and were placed in the West Village. It was a huge disappointment when we were expecting the newer units that are shown on the website. But it was still better than our exchange experience with Westgate. I wwould just call and ask to be placed in a newer section. Just not the "villas" (single story townhouse appearing area) that are on your right as you enter the complex through the main gate. Have a great trip!
We went to Orange Lake through an RCI exchange also and were placed in the West Village. I was pretty disappointed as the pictures were definately not what we got. The room was so outdated and everything smelt old and moldy, yuck. I did called to be moved but they said there were at capacity so no go. The resort is HUGE! Didn't like having to drive 3 little kids to the pools and not be able to find a parking spot. The pools were great though. We didn't let the room ruin our vacation. It was nice we had a pond out back and lots of grass for the kids to run on. The new River Island was almost complete when we were there. I don't think I would go back unless I knew I would be in the new part. We are going to Hilton Grand Vacation Club on International Drive in May 2009, can't wait. We have already been to Hilton Grand Vacation Club at Seaworld and that was great so I figured I couldn't go wrong with the newer Hilton resort
Old 07-30-2008, 10:09 AM   #23
DSquare
Mouseketeer

Not what I wanted to hear. We too have this property for a RCI exchange beginning August 30th. I thought from reading other reviews that the whole west section was completely renovated. I'm going to give them a call and put in a request and see if it will help at all.
DSquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:34 AM   #24
iHEARTflorida
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSquare View Post
Not what I wanted to hear. We too have this property for a RCI exchange beginning August 30th. I thought from reading other reviews that the whole west section was completely renovated. I'm going to give them a call and put in a request and see if it will help at all.
If you are refering to what the PP said about yucky and moldy she didnt state when they went! As now all the west section has been renovated.
I also know OLCC wont take request for sections through RCI exchanges. Your getting the villa another RCi member has banked.

WDW Trips DL July 2010 DLRP Sept 2012

5 Weeks, 4 States and 3874 Miles around California and the Southwest Roadtrip here
iHEARTflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:46 AM   #25
DSquare
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the additional info. I thought I read somewhere that the entire West Village was done. Also I can take stuff like having a bad room with outdated stuff, I won't accept a room with mold in it. Basically I run and hide then I send my wife in to do my dirty work. :P
DSquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:56 PM   #26
steelebug
Mouseketeer

We just stayed in 2455 the week of June 28th to July 5. It was in the WEST Village. It was wonderful. There was a smaller quite pool right across the parking lot. The 2 bed/2bath was newly renovated with granite counters and sophisticated tropical decor. We had NO mold or bugs. Our unit looked out to 192 but in the evenings you could see fireworks from several different locations. We do not own we rent from owners from another site. No pressure and treated wonderfully. The pizza delivery was fast and delicious. I had no complaints and have rented again for the week after Christmas. My kids prefer Splash Lagoon to River Island. There is alot to do and I recommend Orange Lake to anyone who wants a wonderful relaxing vacation. I have also stayed at River Island section which was also great.
steelebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:39 AM   #27
blessed1
Earning My Ears

Cool Going to Orange Lake End of August

Myself and 17yo son are going to Orange Lake for the first time at the end of August. This is only our second trip to Orlando, and I did not want to stay at WDW again, so I chose OL. I pray that I made the right decision. I booked through a travel site, not RCI. I have read so many boards on OL and am totally apprehensive at this point. So many of you say it is nice, but then there is the slight change of getting one of those old rooms just makes me a little anxious. Guess I just have to wait and see. I selected a 1 bedroom villa. Does anyone know if those are just in West or are they throughout ?
blessed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:41 AM   #28
steelebug
Mouseketeer

I am not sure if one bedrooms are just in the West village or not. All you need to do is call and request a renovated unit and they are happy to accommodate. This will be our third trip to OL and can't wait. My kids 3, 6, and 8 love going. In the West village there is an arcade, the lake to rent jet ski's etc. The pool is redone and open but does not have a slide or anything. If the room is unacceptable just go back and tell them and they usually will switch you if there is an available unit. Hope you have a great time.
steelebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:19 PM   #29
Wishing on a star
DIS Veteran
Another proud Southerner!

First, an FYI.... When making an exchange thru RCI you do request a section (village). There are four separate and distinct property numbers.. West Village, North Village, East Village, and River Island. (this is in the order that they were built... oldest to newest) An RCI exchange is into a village or section.. not just in to OLCC. I believe that it has been this way for some time now.

I also have information that units in West Village have all now been completely and totally renovated! This is with the possible exception of some units in the ClubHouse buillding, which I am not sure is recommended at all to begin with.

Here is some info that I received from a reliable source, regarding the one bedroom units.

"There are no 1-bedroom units in the East Village. The 1-bedrooms in the North Village are located in the multi-story units next to Splash Lagoon. The 1-bedrooms units in River Island are at the end of each floor. The 1-bedroom units in the West Village are scattered throughout the resort (they are the Golf Villa-style units). There are no 1-bedroom units in the Tennis Villas. The studios are in the Clubhouse in the West Village."

We currently have an exchange into North Village coming up next Spring. I know that my unit will be as pictured online. I am hoping that we have good experience, with not problems with housekeeping-cleanliness, noise, etc... We are looking forward to the River Island section with the lazy river, slides, bars, restaurants, Floribbean Night, etc.

For a lot of good info and pictures, check out tripadvisor... If you pull up Orange Lake Resort, and then click 'more' to expand the traveler reviews, you will see "Traveler Photos" pop up on the top of the page under Hotel Photos... Lots of good pics.

Hope this helps!
Wishing on a star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:55 PM   #30
blessed1
Earning My Ears

Wink Thanks for the info

I did call OL and requested a renovated room, and was informed that they don't really take requests but she said she would make a notation next to my name. I am not a owner, so that is why I was wondering if Owners get preferential rooms. Anyway, I just have to believe we'll have a great time. Now I just have to worry about the weather being good and not overspending!
blessed1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: