Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West > Southern California
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2008, 10:21 AM   #46
mjh8955
DIS Veteran

Fairycat, I just wanted to thank you. All your posts were incredibly helpful as we are getting ready for our trip to L.A. We have only one day available to sightsee and you have described the exact areas we targeted. We start at Embassy Suites north of LAX on Saturday morning, drive to Santa Monica Pier, then to Beverly Hills, then to Hollywood, then Griffith Observatory (if there is time) then to Anaheim to check in and register for a conference by 8:00 PM. We are traveling with two teens; daughter 13 and son 17. Any advice for lunch and dinner spots that would appeal to them and be moderate in price? Thanks again!
Old 04-10-2008, 01:30 AM   #47
fairycat
Modern Disney Princess in Black
Hurray for it and all that
Likes the bunnies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh8955 View Post
Fairycat, I just wanted to thank you. All your posts were incredibly helpful as we are getting ready for our trip to L.A. We have only one day available to sightsee and you have described the exact areas we targeted. We start at Embassy Suites north of LAX on Saturday morning, drive to Santa Monica Pier, then to Beverly Hills, then to Hollywood, then Griffith Observatory (if there is time) then to Anaheim to check in and register for a conference by 8:00 PM. We are traveling with two teens; daughter 13 and son 17. Any advice for lunch and dinner spots that would appeal to them and be moderate in price? Thanks again!
Johnny Rocket's on Melrose or at Hollywood and Highland for burger's in a 50's style diner. On Melrose you can sit on the seat and people watch.

Pink's Hot Dogs are very famous and around the corner the famous Pinkberry for this funky special asian stye frozen yogurt. Its big with the stars.

I eat a lot of ethnic foods and there are tons in LA. My favorite is TOI on Sunset Blvd by Guitar Center, but it might be out of your way.

Also a big deal here is In n' Out, a very California Fast Food place.

There is lots of great food here and you can find lots of options.

I've Been BOO'd!
fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-10-2008, 04:59 AM   #48
mjh8955
DIS Veteran

Great - thanks for the ideas on places to eat with teens!!
Old 04-10-2008, 02:36 PM   #49
OlivesMom
Mouseketeer

Parking In Hollywood

I know this is going to be expensive, but here goes.

I need to get to Hollywood no later than 2pm on a Tuesday. Our first show is at Highland/Hollywood Blvd at 3pm at El Capitan's. Then dinner at the diner. Then we have to get to the second show at Arglye/Hollywood Blvd. Wicked starts at 8 but we have to be there by 7.

So...Do I park by the Pantages and walk down to El Capitan? Leave the car the whole day near Pantages? Or is that too far to walk, and is it safe enough to walk (just me and my 5 year old daughter).

Or do we park near El Capitan and then move the car to another garage by the Pantages? I can't really tell if it is too far. I've also read that El Capitan is validating parking but it is hard to get out of lot the during rush hour (right when I need to move).

I'm just really not sure about the distance (can we make it on-time and will it kill me to do this right in the middle of DL vacation) and the safety. Of course a cheaper/safe lot is super :-)

Thanks!!!
OlivesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:23 PM   #50
fairycat
Likes the bunnies

My only worry for you is what time the lots open. I suggest finding from Pantages what time their lots open, and if they have all day parking. If they do, park there and then walk to Hollywood and Highland (El Capitan is in that block) and then take the subway back for speed (its one stop).

If the lot opens later then park at Hollywood and Highland if you buy something (girl's love the Hello Kitty/Sanrio shop ) you get validation and they do have a reasonable maximum per day parking. Then I would walk to the theater and take the Subway back to the car. Cause though safe enough it will be late and you will be tired after the show so you might prefer the subway.

Its $1.25 for an adult fare and children under 5 are free. Here is a link to the timetable http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/bu...00_899/802.pdf You would use the Hollywood/Vine stop for the theater.

Walking and the Subway are probably quicker and easier then moving the car and you can see more of the sites. But if you really want you can move the car but to save money park at Hollywood and Highlands lot (it is right before Hollywood Blvd. on the right you will see the Renaissance Hotel and a mall like complex park there. Its clean, easy and like I said they validate on food and purchases. But if you decide to eat there use that validation over a shops since some places offer longer validation then others they will tell you though. Then go over to Pantages, that lot will charge you a set amount most likely $8-$12.

I hope that all makes sense if you have any other questions feel free to ask!

I've Been BOO'd!
Old 04-22-2008, 03:17 PM   #51
mousiemom
adam lambert lover!

we are planning on taking a grayline tour of hollywood. i know that we will have some time to shop, and eat and i would like to go to Yamashiro!!! if we are on foot, is it easy to get to the restaurant? you mentioned it was up on a hill and i didn't know if that would be easy to get to? can you make reservations so i can make sure and get a window seat?
thanks,
mousiemom

]75-DL/80-WDW/97-WDW/99-DISNEYMOON-ASM/02-DD 1ST TRIP-ASM/04-ASM/05-POP/06-POP/1/07-POP/5/07-POR/8/07-SSR/12/07-POP/1/08-POP/6/08-DL-HOJO/9/08-POP/12/08-ASM/2/09-POP/5/09-POP/9/09-POP/12/09-POP/5/10-POP/12/10-POP/11/11-POPBC12/11-POP-11/12POP 4/13/POP-11/13Offsite-4/14/POP-11/14
mousiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:28 PM   #52
fairycat
Likes the bunnies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousiemom View Post
we are planning on taking a grayline tour of hollywood. i know that we will have some time to shop, and eat and i would like to go to Yamashiro!!! if we are on foot, is it easy to get to the restaurant? you mentioned it was up on a hill and i didn't know if that would be easy to get to? can you make reservations so i can make sure and get a window seat?
thanks,
mousiemom
Personally I would say it would be a hike. I would suggest taking a cab its not that far from Hollywood and Highland that it would be too expensive, but with dealing with the traffic and the very narrow and steep trek up the hill it woould be worth getting a cab. (you will have to call ahead for a cab since they are not always on the street but you should get one quickly).

Yes make reservations! I know they accept them since they only had a few tables for those of us without reservations. We didn't make them since we decided last minute to even eat there but we are very happy we did I am sure they let you chose the garden view or the city view. Though I have to say both are equally nice. But since I see the view all the time I liked watching the Koi much more!

I've Been BOO'd!
Old 04-23-2008, 08:17 AM   #53
mousiemom
adam lambert lover!

thanks for the advice. we are planning on doing a combo tour to universal studios and a LA by night tour so we will probably not have time to eat dinner there but i would love to. we do have a free night and we might try to go there then. thanks a lot!!
mousiemom

]75-DL/80-WDW/97-WDW/99-DISNEYMOON-ASM/02-DD 1ST TRIP-ASM/04-ASM/05-POP/06-POP/1/07-POP/5/07-POR/8/07-SSR/12/07-POP/1/08-POP/6/08-DL-HOJO/9/08-POP/12/08-ASM/2/09-POP/5/09-POP/9/09-POP/12/09-POP/5/10-POP/12/10-POP/11/11-POPBC12/11-POP-11/12POP 4/13/POP-11/13Offsite-4/14/POP-11/14
mousiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:27 PM   #54
RudemanRB
New Yawker in Los Angeles

Farmers Market

in reading alot of the posts it just seems like there's something missing.

it's the Historic Farmers Markets.

Just South of Hollywood on Fairfax avenue at 3rd Street is the market.
and an area called "the Grove"

If you've ever been to MGM studios in FL. and have seen their mock up of the Fairfax Market. then you have to stop in and see the original.

If your planning on visiting Hollywood and the walk of fame, this is a short drive away 5-10 mins

here's their official website. http://www.farmersmarketla.com/

Rudy
Old 07-04-2008, 12:36 PM   #55
perlster
DIS Veteran

not to turn this, into a photo thread, but to illustrate some points ...

can't argue with this!

Last edited by perlster; 07-04-2008 at 02:31 PM.
perlster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:38 PM   #56
perlster
DIS Veteran

Where's a trademark lawyer when you need one?
perlster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:56 PM   #57
mr.bungle
DIS Veteran

you know, i went to school for almost a year on sunset blvd between highland and cahuenga. i ate that the in n out burger next to hollywood high A LOT! never once saw a celeb there haha.

honestly, star sightings are sooooo random. my fiancee and i were at this pizza place (name escapes me) on sunset between the roxy and the whisky. we noticed that cuba gooding jr. was at the table next to us. mind you this is like a 5 table place. all of the sudden the owner or manager hands him a sharpie and he reaches over next to my fiancee's head and autographs the wall! that was pretty neat. i have noticed more celebs in the area where i grew up (thousand oaks) but also a lot in malibu and the valley.

hollywood has some cool places both new and old. it's so crazy traffic wise and people wise out there, i don't go too often anymore unless i'm going to see a band or something. it's truly an experience walking around there! when i was going to recording school out there, i would have 8 hours of class but with 4 hours inbetween and living 50 miles away, it was not worth it to just go home. so we would go to Amoeba and buy cds and stuff. Amoeba Music on sunset and cahuenga is AWESOME for any music or movie lover. the arclight is over there too and pretty neat.

if music is your thing also maybe check out a weeknight at the roxy or whisky or troubadour (santa monica and doheny). get a sense of the history that was made there. i've been lucky enough to play on the stages with bands. the same stages where the doors and elton john got their starts. it's awesome!

i'm kind of typing my thoughts as they come so i apologize for my most likely incoherent ramblings.

take a drive through laurel canyon. awesome houses up in there and if i remember correctly, harry houdini's house is in the canyon somewhere.

ok well i will add more when i remember it. it's kind of hard for me to be a tourist in hollywood because i always go down there for a reason. used to be school, or to see a band etc...
mr.bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:32 PM   #58
johnmason09
Earning My Ears

I would check out all the local costume/vintage clothing stores like Aardvarks etc.

There are some cool and fun clothes you can find
johnmason09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:03 AM   #59
BitsnBearsMom
We sure are lucky that way
Felt guilty not admitting that I am wearing them now

Great thread - Can someone suggest a good 'base' hotel for us (2Adults, 15yo and a 9yo) or what area we should be looking at - we are heading down there in August and will spend probably 4 nights in the LA area so we can see the sights - Universal, Hollywood, Griffith observatory before heading to DL for 3 nights then on to San Diego for another 4 nights.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:43 PM   #60
MAH4546
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitsnBearsMom View Post
Great thread - Can someone suggest a good 'base' hotel for us (2Adults, 15yo and a 9yo) or what area we should be looking at - we are heading down there in August and will spend probably 4 nights in the LA area so we can see the sights - Universal, Hollywood, Griffith observatory before heading to DL for 3 nights then on to San Diego for another 4 nights.
Anything around Hollywood/Highland; Hollywood/Vine; Hollywood/La Cienega would be good.

If it's in your price range, the Renaissance Hollywood is the best choice.
MAH4546 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: