Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West > Southern California
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2008, 03:42 PM   #31
fairycat
Modern Disney Princess in Black
Hurray for it and all that
Likes the bunnies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danauk View Post
Thanks for the info, it was very useful. The links though just take me to the main Google maps page. Could you possible just explain how to get to the right hand side entering freeway part?
Thanks so much.
Stupid thing!

Basically as you head up Highland you can turn onto Cahuenga Blvd/Barham, you actually can take this too Universal Studios Blvd, which will take you to the park no freeway. This is actually the best way. (I knew there was a street that did this no freeway ) NOTE: if you use googlemaps they will put you on the freeway, you have to adjust the route by pulling the line to the right side road to get these directions.

If you take the freeway getting on at Highland you will end up in the fast line with approx. 6 (8?) lanes to cross in a short time to get off the Universal Exit you need, its not safe and with traffic can be very tough. Its just safer and easier to take the city streets. This is one of the few on-ramps in So Cal that drop you into the fast lane instead on entering on the right into the slow lane, and almost all freeway exits are on the right also.

I've Been BOO'd!
fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:10 PM   #32
tink,too
DIS Veteran

Thank you so much for all the great information! May will be our first trip out to California and I am so excited already!

fairycat/corpsebride - Can either of you suggest any good tattooists out in Hollywood? DH really wants to get some more ink during our visit.
tink,too is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-08-2008, 04:27 PM   #33
fairycat
Likes the bunnies

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink,too View Post
Thank you so much for all the great information! May will be our first trip out to California and I am so excited already!

fairycat/corpsebride - Can either of you suggest any good tattooists out in Hollywood? DH really wants to get some more ink during our visit.
What style? What is he looking to get??

While there are amazing artists in Hollywood, they also like to charge amazing prices for their amazing locations. I have seen ok artists charge 3xs the money simply because their address is in Hollywood. I tend to go outside LA for great work.

One other thing if he gets new ink do it towards the end of the trip, because he will not be able to swim (ocean or pool) or get too much sun. Which cuts out some of the coolest stuff to do in CA!

I have not been tattooed by her yet but I have met with Tiffany from here and if things work out I might be getting work from her when my other projects are done
http://www.outerlimitstattoo.com/long.html

My friend recently got work from Konstaine at Velvet Grip in West Hollywood, he seemed really nice and starts at $150 an Hour for custom work.

If you happen to be driving to Las Vegas on your trip I know three shops on the way. (though two use the route to Vegas from LA)

This Guy in Apple Valley who does stuning work I saw one of his back pieces based on a Renaissance Painting and just drooled!
http://www.ignitiontattoo.com/portfolionikko.htm

I go to these guys
http://www.psychocitytattoo.com/
http://www.americanmadetattoo.com/

Make sure you contact the shop before you come into town, so you can make sure the artist is available. Many good artists have months long waiting lists.

I've Been BOO'd!
Old 03-08-2008, 04:52 PM   #34
tink,too
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairycat View Post
What style? What is he looking to get??

While there are amazing artists in Hollywood, they also like to charge amazing prices for their amazing locations. I have seen ok artists charge 3xs the money simply because their address is in Hollywood. I tend to go outside LA for great work.

One other thing if he gets new ink do it towards the end of the trip, because he will not be able to swim (ocean or pool) or get too much sun. Which cuts out some of the coolest stuff to do in CA!
He's hoping to get a portrait of our daughter - ideally he would love to go to High Voltage and get inked by Kat von D! I've tried contacting them via their website, but keeping getting an error message!

We won't be going outside of LA - we're only in town for 5 nights (after a cruise) and will be staying at DL. But... we can't travel all this way and not visit Hollywood, now can we?

He's pretty heavily tattooed already so he knows to wait until the end of our trip. I just know DD will want to spend some time chilling out at the hotel pool, and he would be pretty bummed if he had to sit at the side-lines and not get in and splash around with us!

Any and all suggestions are appreciated. TIA.
tink,too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:23 PM   #35
fairycat
Likes the bunnies

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink,too View Post
He's hoping to get a portrait of our daughter - ideally he would love to go to High Voltage and get inked by Kat von D! I've tried contacting them via their website, but keeping getting an error message!

We won't be going outside of LA - we're only in town for 5 nights (after a cruise) and will be staying at DL. But... we can't travel all this way and not visit Hollywood, now can we?

He's pretty heavily tattooed already so he knows to wait until the end of our trip. I just know DD will want to spend some time chilling out at the hotel pool, and he would be pretty bummed if he had to sit at the side-lines and not get in and splash around with us!

Any and all suggestions are appreciated. TIA.
Since you have to pay to get a tattoo at High Voltage if you are filmed for the show or not have you tried this link

http://www.highvoltagetattoo.com/contact.html

Since you want a Portrait she might want to do it, its funny since my friend had Kat do a small piece for her years ago and when she mentioned who I never realised it was the same girl till recently.

My cousin went to the shop when she was down here last, they said it was a little tough to find, but they did find it in the end. While they offer walk ins I would think it very rare for Kat to be there when they aren't filming.

Outer limits is also in Anaheim and Costa Mesa (on the way to the Beach about 20 minutes from DLR) http://www.outerlimitstattoo.com/

Its been a while but I also have friends who got some ok work at Purple Panther on Sunset http://www.purplepanthertattoos.com/artists.html

I've Been BOO'd!

Last edited by fairycat; 03-08-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:05 AM   #36
Danauk
I would be sitting on the patio of the Fontana bar at the Bellagio hotel in Las Vegas watching the dancing fountains on a warm balmy night whilst sipping vintage Champagne

Quote:
Stupid thing!

Basically as you head up Highland you can turn onto Cahuenga Blvd/Barham, you actually can take this too Universal Studios Blvd, which will take you to the park no freeway. This is actually the best way. (I knew there was a street that did this no freeway ) NOTE: if you use googlemaps they will put you on the freeway, you have to adjust the route by pulling the line to the right side road to get these directions.

If you take the freeway getting on at Highland you will end up in the fast line with approx. 6 (8?) lanes to cross in a short time to get off the Universal Exit you need, its not safe and with traffic can be very tough. Its just safer and easier to take the city streets. This is one of the few on-ramps in So Cal that drop you into the fast lane instead on entering on the right into the slow lane, and almost all freeway exits are on the right also.
Thank you so much for the info. I looked at the route on live maps and it looks quite easy to do. We will have our sat nav with us so as soon as we do not take the freeway it will recalculate the route anyway!
Thanks again
Disneyland Paris: Aug 1998 (off site - honeymoon), Easter 2004 (Hotel New York), Feb 2005 (off site), April 2008 (Hotel New York), October 2008 (Disneyland Hotel), November 2008 (Hotel New York), August 2013, Halloween 2013, New Year 2013/4, August 2014, New Year 2014/15 WDW: August 2003 (Beach Club Villas - 5th anniversary), Christmas/New Year 2005/6 (Beach Club Villas), August 2009 (Animal Kingdom Lodge savanna view - 11th anniversary) Disneyland: August 2008 (Grand Californian, theme park view - 10th anniversary)
Danauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:16 PM   #37
fairycat
Likes the bunnies

I am going to skip outside Hollywood a bit today and talk about Pasadena. In my opinion Pasadena is the city that I like to think people see when they think Southern California!

Pasadena is famous of course for their New Year's events the Rose Bowl and Tournament of Roses Parade. If you are in the area for NY's these are great events to see.

Even if you are there a few days after the Year turns if you can go see the floats. Every year they put the floats on display so you can walk up and see all the detail work on these beautiful floats. Typically they are on display for 5-7 days into the new year. They are pretty amazing.

Besides football the Rose Bowl also offers other events, including a huge flea market.

The nice thing about Pasadena is its ability to be a walking city. There is lots of paid parking that is easy to find with lots tucked on every side street. So drop off the car and pull on a comfy pair of shoes.

Colorado is the most famous of the streets and has lots to offer. Shops like Tiffany's (yes that Tiffany's) with its stunning vintage look facade, Crate and Barrell, and small shops.

The food in the area is amazing with Chains like Cheesecake Factory, Melting Pot and others you will also find lots of private owned places that offer every kind of food you could desire. You will also find juice, coffee (Equator just off Colorado in a funky shop lined Alley is the best), Pinkberry, and even Boba. These restaurants are mostly off Colorado but a walk up any of the side streets will offer you even more, I have tried lots of them and have always been pleased.

If you walk farther up Colorado from the 210 side you will also hit a small mall with more shops (Sephora!!), food like PF Chang's and a movie theater (that sometimes offers exclusive pre-premieres).

Besides the great shopping on Colorado and all the food just up the way you will also find the stunning Pasadena Goverment Buildings. These buildings are just amazing in size and style. They are so beautiful.

We spend a lot of time in this city and just adore it!!

I've Been BOO'd!
Old 03-13-2008, 05:09 PM   #38
jlmarr
You got that right

Quote:
Besides the great shopping on Colorado and all the food just up the way you will also find the stunning Pasadena Goverment Buildings. These buildings are just amazing in size and style. They are so beautiful.
Also there are numerous old "Arts and Crafts" style homes on the west side, such as the Gamble House, which you might recognize as Doc Brown's home in Back To The Future.

If you're not averse to public transit you can get to the west end of town via the MTA Gold Line Del Mar station. The Memorial Park station might be better for the other sites mentioned by fairycat.

Hmmm... I notice that the Gamble House site mentions that the Memorial Park station is closer (1.1 miles) than the Del Mar station (1.5 miles).

Last edited by jlmarr; 03-13-2008 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Add info about distance to Gamble House
jlmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:59 PM   #39
fairycat
Likes the bunnies

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmarr View Post
Also there are numerous old "Arts and Crafts" style homes on the west side, such as the Gamble House, which you might recognize as Doc Brown's home in Back To The Future.

If you're not averse to public transit you can get to the west end of town via the MTA Gold Line Del Mar station. The Memorial Park station might be better for the other sites mentioned by fairycat.

Hmmm... I notice that the Gamble House site mentions that the Memorial Park station is closer (1.1 miles) than the Del Mar station (1.5 miles).
Thanks for bringing that up!!! You are so right. I was writing this quick and skipped that part. Bad me hahaha!! Thanks for the addition!!

Feel free to add more as you think of anything too

I've Been BOO'd!
Old 03-14-2008, 02:02 AM   #40
heathpack
Mouseketeer

We've lived in Hollywood for 2 years now, moving from North Carolina, and before that Maine. We love Hollywood and are dismayed by the fear of our neighborhood that is sometimes expressed on the boards! So great to see this thread started up...

The LA County Museum of Art has great free Jazz concerts Friday evenings in their courtyard April-Dec. There is a bar with drinks for purchase and a small full-service cafe if you want to eat. Here's a link: http://www.lacma.org/programs/FridayNightJazz.aspx

But even better than eating at the concert is waiting 'till after and heading down to Sofi to eat greek food on their twinkly little patio. Truthfully the food is merely good, while the setting is LA magic on a warm night. http://losangeles.citysearch.com/pro...s_ca/sofi.html

I hesitate to even tell you of the best breakfast in Hollywood, because there's usually a line in the mornings as it is... But here goes: The Griddle Cafe. Don't be naive and just order a stack of pancakes-- you will be defeated without fail. Just get one lil 'ole cake and you'll be fine, I promise. Don't be shy, there's no single cake listed on the menu, but the waitstaff will be happly to comply. Or get your self a Kickin and Screamin Breakfast Taco. Or any of the French Toast options. Dudes, I love this place. http://www.thegriddlecafe.com/

And what about the Hollywood Bowl. Pick youself a nice concert on a warm night and what more could you want? http://www.hollywoodbowl.com/

Heathpack
heathpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:22 PM   #41
OlivesMom
Mouseketeer

This is a long shot, but if you ever have the chance and are invited, go to the Magic Castle in Hollywood - http://www.magiccastle.com/

I have been twice and it is amazing. Very "Scooby Doo" creepy too. The food was super (mine was a vegetarian meal, my co-workers loved theirs as well) and the desert was fantastic. Dress code is quite strict, but it is very fun.

You have to be invited by a member to go, otherwise this would be part of my trip plans for the next vacation.
OlivesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:55 PM   #42
Cris
DVC member
Could live on Wendy's Spicy Chicken Sandwich!!

Thanks for all the great info, could you do a WeHo review?
Old 03-18-2008, 06:55 PM   #43
fairycat
Likes the bunnies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris View Post
Thanks for all the great info, could you do a WeHo review?
West Hollywood??

What would you like to know? Besides lots of shopping, clubs and food

I've Been BOO'd!
Old 03-18-2008, 07:37 PM   #44
fairycat
Likes the bunnies

The Miracle Mile- Beverly Hills

Miracle Mile

So Beverly Hills has been mentioned a few times in this thread so I thought I would give some more details of what to do in the area

From the 405 freeway you can get off on Wilshire and head into the city. You will pass many classic old stores like Neiman Marcus and Saks with their Vallets and very fancy items. The Buildings are beautiful.

You will continue and pass Rodeo drive, its on your left and you can take a drive right along it our get out and walk the street. One thing to know though is that some shops are by appointment only and will not let you in. That includes many of the jewelry stores, but you will still find many shops to check out if you want.

If you are a car person look around you will see some of those famous high end models and if you miss them on the street no worries. Up Wilshire is Lotus, Porsche, Lamborgini and other high end car dealers. Feel free to window shop, maybe you can have them wrap one up for you

As you head up further you will come to the Museum Row there you will find

LACMA- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Ang..._Museum_of_Art
Its a modern art museum but often has great special displays like the King Tut one that was very popular.

Next door is La Brea Tar Pits- This one is great to do with the kids. There is lots to see and do and a real tar pit!

Peterson Car Museum is great for the car lover with its interesting displays and more

California Craft & Folk Art Museum and Carole and Barry Kaye Museum of Miniatures are also there.

There is also theaters like the El Rey and Wiltern on Wilshire and lots of fun restaurants, clubs (like the stars go to) and more.

You can find parking structures with the museums or in other areas. Street parking can be tough here and you don't want to risk a ticket.

I've Been BOO'd!
Old 04-03-2008, 11:50 PM   #45
fairycat
Likes the bunnies

Thanks to the amazing Corpse Bride I decided to finally stop putting it off and went to Yamishiro's after seeing Sweeney Todd at the Ahmanson Theater in LA last Sunday.

The restaurant is right off of Highland Ave between the Freeway and Hollywood Blvd. on Franklin. It is just past the very famous Magic Castle. You will see a tiny sign and take a little road up into the hills past many houses. It is pretty, steep and very little but worth the trip. Up on the hill sits the restaurant.

We arrived just before the place opened so got a great chance to look at the small gardens and AMAZING view! You could see the Observatory, Hollywood Sign, Downtown LA, Beverly Hills and lots more. The view was just wonderful, I am so mad I didn't have my camera.

We didn't have a reservation so were told to pick a spot inside or in the Garden and we went for the beautiful garden. It was so beautiful with the plants and Koi.

The food is CalAsian so as a Vegetarian I was very happy! We decided to have all side dishes since so many looked yummy. I started with a Pom. Martini that was tasty. DH had Jasmine Tea. I had a beautiful Miso Soup with oyster mushrooms YUM! Cucumber Rolls and shared butter lettuce leaf tofu wraps with DH. DH had two specialty sushi wraps. Everything was very yummy!

Then we had to decide Pinkberry or dessert here after we saw the menu it was an easy choice the peanut butter and chocolate chip cookies with Creme de Leche ice cream OMG!!! I also added a Blooming Floral tea that was also very nice.

The service and food was all great and the atmosphere was also excellent. And if you don't want to set in the garden the view from inside is also beautiful looking out over the whole city. I would highly recommend it, I can't wait to go back. Why did it take me so long? Silly me!

I've Been BOO'd!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: