Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 537 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:19 AM   #751
Nettaboo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy drew View Post
I like this idea a lot. It would be fairly easy to update, as you could just go in and add the new page # and post # when someone does a movie. I'd also be happy to help gathering post info, if it makes things easier. Perhaps a few of us could take a few page ranges (random example: PrincessTigerLily does page 1-20, jngwright does 21-40, I do 41-60, etc.) Then we would PM you our lists in an agreed format (the one above looks great to me) and you can just copy and paste it.

The only thing is, who manages future listings?
I love this new idea and would be willing to help as well
Nettaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:44 AM   #752
WeLoveLilo05
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDoc5 View Post
Our Swiss Family Robinson Night.......

I got the casserole recipe idea from this thread search for Swiss Family Robinson, it was very yummy!!!

The table...

The table again...

Tasting coconut milk

More tasting... notice the DRILL DH used to open the coconut, not very Swiss Family!

Pouring the milk.....

Opening the coconuts with a drill, this was very exciting!!!

Lesson in coconuts...after we all drank this gross coconut milk, we open the other one and realize the first one (on the left) we drank from was rotten!!! Notice the healthy one on the right!
it is funny that you mentioned the coconut b/c my mom also tried one for the 1st time 2 weeks ago and my brother's gf was at her house when she went to try it. My mom thought it was totally gross, and my brother's gf (who drinks it on occasion) noticed it was totally rotten. Of course, my mom had no idea.

It looks like you had a nice time
And don't worry if they Swiss Family Robinsons had a drill, they would have totally used it lol.

"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says "I'm Possible." ~ Audrey Hepburn

WeLoveLilo05 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-15-2010, 01:55 PM   #753
dancin'girl
DIS Veteran

Princess and the Frog idea

For anyone who's doing the Princess and the Frog soon, I came across this at familyfun.com - very cute!!! It's a craft and game all in one. We'll be trying it this weekend!

http://familyfun.go.com/crafts/fly-c...g-frog-667781/

This is a review of the project from the site-
We made our frogs while on a class trip to the beach. The kids got the biggest kick out of making them! When they were all finished, we took some plastic flies and put them on the table. Two at a time, the kids had to blow their frog tongues to hit the fly. The first one to get their fly all the way off the other end of table was the winner! The kids loved this! GREAT ACTIVITY!
dancin'girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:18 PM   #754
WeLoveLilo05
DIS Veteran

Thats cute, looks inexpensive to make too!

Anyone having a hard time with decorations and tableware?
I have been looking @ the Dollar Tree and I have found pirate stuff for peter pan and mardi gras stuff for Princess and the Frog. I have also found luau themed stuff there and at the Christmas Tree Shop for Lilo and Stitch.

I just hate to spend like $3.00 on paper plates lol, anyone know of any cheap place to find cheap decorations paper products? I try to keep that stuff @ $1.00.

I really am looking for Toy Story themed paper plates and decorations, even if its just cowboy boots lol (we have loads of toys from TS, just don't know what to do w/ decorating) and Incredibles?

Old 03-15-2010, 02:48 PM   #755
DisneyDoc5
Disney, Dogs, Chocolate

I always check the 'end caps' at Target, Card Party (or similar giant party supply stores, etc.), Disney Store, anywhere where they have paper products and try to pick them up on clearance.
2006 Beach Club, 2008 Contemporary, 2008 Beach Club, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside, 2010 Polynesian, 2011 Coronado Springs, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside, 2012 Fantasy Cruise, 2012 Art of Animation, 2013 Yacht Club, 2013 Polynesian, 2014 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Fantasy Cruise, 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2015 Port Orleans Riverside

DisneyDoc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:13 PM   #756
dancin'girl
DIS Veteran

I've just been doing the napkins because it would be way too expensive to buy the plates, cups, etc! I only found Buzz Lightyear party stuff - no Toy Story and no cowboy! I was surprised about the lack of cowboy stuff. All my party store had were cowboy hats! So...Buzz Lightyear it was!
Old 03-15-2010, 03:29 PM   #757
WeLoveLilo05
DIS Veteran

Oh and I also wanted to ask do they sell frozen beignets or some kind of mix or something? I never had one before (actually, never heard of them before Princess and the Frog), I assume they are like zepollis. I'd go to a bakery and ask if they have any but DD's allergic to peanuts so we can't get bakery items.

I found a recipe, does this seem right?

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 6 minutes
Ingredients:

* ½ cup butter
* 1 cup water
* ¼ teaspoon salt
* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 4 eggs
* Oil for deep frying
* 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar

Preparation:

In a medium saucepan, melt the butter in the water. Add salt and flour, and stir until a sticky batter is formed. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until the batter is smooth.

Heat the oil to 375F. Fry mounded teaspoons of dough, several at a time, for about 6 minutes. They are done when they are light, golden brown on each side. Drain them for a few minutes on a clean kitchen towel and serve warm, dusted with the confectioners’ sugar.

This beignets recipe makes 28 to 32 fritters.'

Old 03-15-2010, 04:10 PM   #758
jngwright
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLoveLilo05 View Post
Thats cute, looks inexpensive to make too!

Anyone having a hard time with decorations and tableware?
I have been looking @ the Dollar Tree and I have found pirate stuff for peter pan and mardi gras stuff for Princess and the Frog. I have also found luau themed stuff there and at the Christmas Tree Shop for Lilo and Stitch.

I just hate to spend like $3.00 on paper plates lol, anyone know of any cheap place to find cheap decorations paper products? I try to keep that stuff @ $1.00.

I really am looking for Toy Story themed paper plates and decorations, even if its just cowboy boots lol (we have loads of toys from TS, just don't know what to do w/ decorating) and Incredibles?
You could try orientaltrading.com If you have your nights planned out in advance, you could order the next 4-5 nights theme items. Sometimes they offer free shipping...

Jill DH DS (12) DS (12)Offsite '78-'94, POR '95, CSR '99, WL '00(Disneymoon ) Offsite '04, POFQ '06, POP'08,CBR/CSR '09,POR '10, AKV '11, OKW/BWV '11(New DVC owners!!!!) '12 BLT, '13 AKV/OKW, '14SoG,(Glass Slipper Finisher!)'14 AVK
jngwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:13 PM   #759
jngwright
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLoveLilo05 View Post
Oh and I also wanted to ask do they sell frozen beignets or some kind of mix or something? I never had one before (actually, never heard of them before Princess and the Frog), I assume they are like zepollis. I'd go to a bakery and ask if they have any but DD's allergic to peanuts so we can't get bakery items.

I found a recipe, does this seem right?

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 6 minutes
Ingredients:

* ½ cup butter
* 1 cup water
* ¼ teaspoon salt
* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 4 eggs
* Oil for deep frying
* 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar

Preparation:

In a medium saucepan, melt the butter in the water. Add salt and flour, and stir until a sticky batter is formed. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until the batter is smooth.

Heat the oil to 375F. Fry mounded teaspoons of dough, several at a time, for about 6 minutes. They are done when they are light, golden brown on each side. Drain them for a few minutes on a clean kitchen towel and serve warm, dusted with the confectioners’ sugar.

This beignets recipe makes 28 to 32 fritters.'
Here is the recipe from POFQ according to Allears:

Ingredients

1 pack dry yeast
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
7 cups flour
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 tsp Salt
1 cup undiluted evaporated milk
1/4 cup soft shortening oil, for frying
Confectioner's sugar

Method

In a large bowl, sprinkle yeast over water, stir to dissolve. Add sugar, salt, eggs, and milk. Blend with rotary beater. Add 4 cups of the flour. Cover and chill overnight. Roll out on floured board to 1/8" thickness. Cut into 2 1/2" squares. Deep fry at 360 degrees 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle heavily with confectioner's sugar. Makes about 5 dozen.

NOTE: Dough keeps well in refrigerator for several days. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and punch down occassionally

Jill DH DS (12) DS (12)Offsite '78-'94, POR '95, CSR '99, WL '00(Disneymoon ) Offsite '04, POFQ '06, POP'08,CBR/CSR '09,POR '10, AKV '11, OKW/BWV '11(New DVC owners!!!!) '12 BLT, '13 AKV/OKW, '14SoG,(Glass Slipper Finisher!)'14 AVK
jngwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:34 PM   #760
PrincessTigerLily
DIS Veteran

Sounds great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettaboo View Post
I love this new idea and would be willing to help as well
This would make so much more sense, and many hands will make the work light!! Please PM me if you are willing to help. This will be SOOO much easier to update for now on!!

PrincessTigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:49 PM   #761
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

Beignet Mix (sold in a pack of 4, but maybe you can find it locally? I found it at a European/World grocery store locally.)

Paper Goods: I usually just use solid colored plates, or if I see reusable plates in a theme I might buy them if I know they can be used for more than one movie. For example, I bought melamine pirate plates for Peter Pan because I can use them for PP or POTC, or a Playmobil pirate movie we rented from Blockbuster. For Lilo and Stitch I have melamine tiki plates, but we bought those because the kids were mildly obsessed with tiki masks for a while. We use them for non-theme nights as well. But for Monsters Inc I bought green paper plates, and had extras so we have used them for other nights if the color goes with the other decorations. I have balloons and streamers left over from birthday parties, too. I try to print as many decorations from the computer as I can, too. So if I wanted to make "Lightning McQueen" cups, I could just print out a pic of him and glue it to plain paper cups. Or just use our regular cups and print out Cars decorations to set out on the table, or to hang from the light fixture. I try to be creative, too. For PP I made a "shark infested waters" using a blue yoga mat and toy sharks we already had. That could be used for Nemo, too.

PrincessTigerLily, I'll PM you! Glad to help with the thread!

Me DD 10 DS 8
1982: Contemporary 1989: Contemporary 1998: Disneyland (day trip) 2005: Wilderness Lodge 2006: Wilderness Lodge 2007: Contemporary 2008: Disneyland (Park Vue) 2009: Disneyland (HoJo) 2010: Pop Century 2011: Disneyland (PPH/DLH) and Boardwalk 2012: San Diego and Disneyland (PPH) 2013: Polynesian and Port Orleans Riverside 2014: Dolphin and Disney Dream
nancy drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:25 PM   #762
coteau_chick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy drew View Post
Beignet Mix (sold in a pack of 4, but maybe you can find it locally? I found it at a European/World grocery store locally.)

Paper Goods: I usually just use solid colored plates, or if I see reusable plates in a theme I might buy them if I know they can be used for more than one movie. For example, I bought melamine pirate plates for Peter Pan because I can use them for PP or POTC, or a Playmobil pirate movie we rented from Blockbuster. For Lilo and Stitch I have melamine tiki plates, but we bought those because the kids were mildly obsessed with tiki masks for a while. We use them for non-theme nights as well. But for Monsters Inc I bought green paper plates, and had extras so we have used them for other nights if the color goes with the other decorations. I have balloons and streamers left over from birthday parties, too. I try to print as many decorations from the computer as I can, too. So if I wanted to make "Lightning McQueen" cups, I could just print out a pic of him and glue it to plain paper cups. Or just use our regular cups and print out Cars decorations to set out on the table, or to hang from the light fixture. I try to be creative, too. For PP I made a "shark infested waters" using a blue yoga mat and toy sharks we already had. That could be used for Nemo, too.

PrincessTigerLily, I'll PM you! Glad to help with the thread!
I live in Louisiana and this is really good and easy to make.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:52 PM   #763
Peter Pan Fan 22
Mouseketeer

Lilo and Stitch

Our eleventh pre-Disney night was a Polynesian themed party.

The plates were from Dollar Tree, the umbrella straws from Target and the table cloth from Party City. The leis and Aloha sign we already had from a previous family reunion.

For our meal I followed the idea some others have posted on here about doing skewered food. We had meatballs, corn on the cob,

Grilled sirloin steak and veggies (mushrooms, green bell pepper, onion, zucchini, & yellow squash),

Grilled chicken and yellow rice

For dessert we had chocolate fondue and these were our yummy dippers. (Marshmallows, strawberries, apple slices, pineapple chunks, banana slices, and kiwi) We are definitely a fondue loving family!

Then we separated into two teams and played sort of a trivia game where I named a ride and they had to tell me which park it was in.
We also learned our Hawaiian names. Here are the links to some websites I used. http://www.alohafriends.com/name.html & http://hawaiiannames.hisurf.com/
After that we watched Lilo and Stich (I forgot how much I love this movie! We actually saw it back in 2002 while on vacation in Disney World, so it holds a special place in my heart. )
Peter Pan Fan 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:47 AM   #764
dancin'girl
DIS Veteran

Peter Pan Fan 22 - Wow! Can I come to one of your parties? Your food looks delicious!!!! Yum!
Old 03-16-2010, 02:15 PM   #765
Emme
DIS Veteran

Ok went shopping today for a bunch of movie nights as we are using them to countdown our trip to the Polynesian in May.

Ours will have a slightly different spin on them as we are three adults (me, dh & ds). We are all young at heart and thought this would be a fun way to count our days to the Poly down.

We will have a movie theme and food accordingly (no alcohol DS is too young) and decorations. I hope this can maybe help someone who doesn't have any small children but still may want to partake in all the fun~

Hope this is OK with everyone!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: