Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2007, 01:02 AM   #1
Glendamax
LOVES Old English Roses china at the Grand Floridian!

Glendamax Christmas Adventure: DISmeets, a break-up, and a baby?

Cast: Me! Glendamax went Solo again!

Resort: Animal Kingdom Villas - Studio Savannah View

Dates: Tues. December 11th - Sat. December 15th 2007

Table of Contents
Arrival Day - This Page!
Day One - pgs 4, 6
Day Two - pgs 10, 11, 13, 15
Day Three - pgs 17, 19, 21, 22, 23, 27
Departure Day - pg 30

Prologue

In 2006, I saw a show on the Travel channel about Christmas in the Disney Parks with Samantha Brown (love her! love her!). At the time I saw the show, I had a trip booked for September, and did not have enough vacation days left to go in December. Plus, at my job, we have to sign up for our vacation days the year before, so the weeks that were available were taken.

Fast forward to March. I "met" MamaPrincess. She is a DVC owner, and was able to explain how it works. After NUMEROUS PM's, I called and signed up for DVC! In April I scheduled 2 trips: one in September, and the other in December. Finally, I would get to see Disney with Christmas decorations IN PERSON!!! I was soooo excited!

My friend Kim, who is the only real-life Disney friend I have, was going with me, but had to cancel.
This was really sad since we hadn't been on a Disney trip together since 2002. But as always, I think: Maybe next year!

After going to the crowd level site and making an itinerary, I went over to the Adults and Solo Travelers Board to see if anyone was going when I was. Fortunantly, there were many, and some PM'd me to let me know they would be there at the same time too. So now I had an itinerary, ADR's and a few DISmeets! Let's Go!!!

Getting There
Finally the day was here! I was going to Disney World! But why is it that I'm so stressed out before a trip, and wish I had MORE time to get ready? And, my left knee that I dislocated years ago, was swelling up! So I was half-limping through the house trying to get ready to go the airport. My girl Kim was taking me! She got to my house and had to wait 20mins for me to get ready (I HATE making people wait).

Once again I flew down on Southwest. I don't like their boarding procedure, but it's affordable, and being 6 Feet tall, I can fit in their seats (Unlike AirTran )

The day before I got my boarding pass online, and felt so good that I got A 21. Before we boarded, they announced that there were only 26 people on the flight. Oh well, I guess it was good practice!

Fortunantly, I did get the exit row seat, that has no seat in front of it. Thank God! When they passed out drinks, I got water, and put Airborne in it. I was determined to NOT get sick again this year! Here's my proof . . .

It was a good flight. One of the male flight attendants gave me a December Vogue!!! Score!!! And we even landed about 15mins early! WOO-HOO!!! Finally, I'm in Orlando!

Unlike in September, the Magical Express counter was EMPTY! I have to say that I'm still disappointed that the Disney folks dont greet you when you get off the plane anymore, to tell where to go. I guess since that's what happend the very first time I used ME, I expect it everytime I get off the plane. Oh Well. I got on the ME bus about 4pm (holding my HUGE winter coat), the outside was decorated with Crush on it! I sat in the front seat while the bus waited for others to load. As soon as I sat down I saw: Gratuity Permitted for your driver Rafael Diaz. Let the vacation begin! (Oh Carp! Do I have any ones?)

When the bus pulled off at 4:19pm, we were told that it was making 3 stops: Pop Century, Coronado Springs, then my home, Animal Kingdom!

We pulled up to Animal Kingdom Lodge about 5:05pm. (So if you're keeping track, that means I was on the bus about an hour!) Below is the video as we were pulling up! Click on it!

Finally I stepped off the bus with my coat in my arms, into the warm humid Orlando air!!! YES!!! I walked through the doors of AKL and nearly fainted! I was finally here! And the tree was awesome! Just like I'd seen on TV.

When I checked in, I remembered to mention AGAIN that I needed a room as close to the lobby as possible. The CM said that she saw it mentioned, and that the room was closer in. She also told me that if I didnt like it, to come back to the desk. (WOW, I really am in Disney World!)

After getting my welcome home packet and room key, I looked at the tree. Then I walked right up to it. My eyes started to water. I couldnt believe I was here! Thank you Jesus!

Now it was time to see where the room was. I walked down the long hall to the elevator, got off on the Fifth floor. I walked straight, and the room was the first one on the right. It was alot better.

The room was exactly the same, except the room was flipped: insted of the bed being on the left, it was on the right.

After looking around the room, I said a quick prayer of thanks, then decided what I would do next: get something quick to eat in the room, or go to Boma!

Last edited by Glendamax; 02-27-2008 at 05:07 AM.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:30 AM   #2
Glendamax

Arrival Day Cont.

I sat down on the bed and tried to decied if I was more tired or hungry. . . Well, the hunger won. Even though my reservation was about 45mins away, I decided to go down anyway to see if they could take me.

Well folks, that place was a ZOO!!! It took almost 15mins in line just to check in. I overheard a man behind me telling a couple that it's been like that all week at all the restaurants. I started to get out of line, but thought I'd try. They gave me a buzzer thingie, and I waded through the crowd to wait. There was no where to sit, so I hung out by the pay phones. There were so many people, it was hectic, kids were crying, and people were anxious. So I made my way to the desk, and told one of the girls to take my name off the list. When I handed her the buzzer, it started to go off. She said "OH! Your table is ready"! WHATTT!!! I said, "Well I'll take it"!

As she was walking me to a table, she noticed that I was alone and asked if she could join me, and I said SURE! Believe me, looking at that crowd, I knew she had no time for a break anytime soon!

To start, I had a salad with apples in it, and their pasta salad. LOVED THEM BOTH. (klofan, I know you disagree ) Once again this year, I asked for the peanut rice . . . they served it the NIGHT BEFORE!!!!! I struck out again!

I ate sooo much food, and they had my favorite dessert: upside down pineapple cheesecake with a white chocolate crust! WHEW!!!! Worth the wait!!!

As I sat there inbetween plates of food (ahhh . . .PLATES of food), I tried to understand why I didnt feel uneasy. I mean I actually sat there and just looked around. The only thing I could come up with, was that I felt as though I was home. And as I looked around, no one noticed that I was alone, they were too busy eating, talking or laughing.

After Boma, I went back to my room - my bags were there - I unpacked, and ironed an outfit for the next day (shorts? really?). Before going to sleep, I popped in the movie "Daddy's Little Girls" starring SEXY Idris Alba, and was sleep by 8:30!

Final Thoughts on my Arrival Day
One thing I would do differently, is not focus on what's not done before my trip. Insted think about the fun I'm going to have, and how many people would DIE to be me!

I'm glad that I didnt take a bunch of pics my first day. Yes, it would've been better for this installment, but it felt good just to be in the moment.

Thanks for anyone who's read this so far! Hopefully I'll be able to share with you all the fun, sights and sounds of my first Disney Holiday Trip!!!!

See ya!

(Lurkers, stop Lurking and POST!!!!)

Day One - Go to page 4

Last edited by Glendamax; 01-10-2008 at 01:26 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-18-2007, 02:00 AM   #3
SereneOne
DIS Veteran

Bummer, Glenda!

I was in Disney the same time and went to MVMCP on the 14th and totally missed you. We had a good but exhausting time other than my daughter ending up in the ER and my mom too!

I look forward to reading your trip report!
Old 12-18-2007, 02:08 AM   #4
ANTSS2001
Talented Poet
I have been addicted since I tasted them at the parks 3 years ago!
One less thing for me to think about
Hello peeps

GMAX! I am so proud of you!!!! and loving the TR.... now keep working woman!!! some of us are just home waiting....

Old 12-18-2007, 02:25 AM   #5
Glendamax

Hey! I've got readers!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!!

SereneOne: I'm so sorry I missed you It would've been fun to see you at the party too!

Antss: Glad you're here! Hope you're recovering well!
Old 12-18-2007, 02:41 AM   #6
ANTSS2001
Talented Poet
I have been addicted since I tasted them at the parks 3 years ago!
One less thing for me to think about
Hello peeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glendamax View Post
Hey! I've got readers!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!!

Antss: Glad you're here! Hope you're recovering well!
yes I am... I am homebound and bored.. so stop this little chitchat and get moving woman!!

Hows the knee???

Old 12-18-2007, 03:46 AM   #7
Lifelong_Dreamer
DIS Veteran

Hey GMax, Can't wait to hear about your latest trip.

Lucky girl getting your room request right off the bat.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:15 AM   #8
MeMom
DIS Veteran

I only had time to glance through the pictures this morning, but I'll read carefully this evening. Our third-graders have a big day ahead with a field trip to the Rainforest Cafe and then a big Christmas party with a middle school that is coming to bring gifts and snacks and sing carols and such. This will be a fun and exhausting day!

I look very forward to seeing all your pictures and reading about your adventures. Maybe someday, if our trips ever cross at the same time, we can become real life Dis friends, too! I'm sorry Kim couldn't go with you this time. Since you'll be going often now that you have DVC, it'll work out for her to go with you sooner or later, and I know you guys will have a blast together.

Jill, Brooklynn, and I will be leaving one week from today for our next trip, so we're getting excited about that. Jill shipped a package of diapers and assorted stuff yesterday, just in case there are any luggage problems, since we're flying this time. We'll do Christmas at home, and then by nighttime we'll be standing in the Grand Floridian checking out the beautiful Christmas decorations. (Just visiting - not staying there.) It ought to be an awesome day!

Have a good Tuesday, and count me in for sure as we all enjoy this report. By the way, tell your mom Merry Christmas from Jill and me.
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:21 AM   #9
Lan
D23 Charter Year Member

Hey Girl,
I haven't had a chance to start reading your report yet. I just wanted to say welcome back and I am sad that I couldn't be down there with you.
WDW - Pin & Vinylmation Events Sept 12-15
WDW - Food & Wine Oct 11-14
WDW - Dec 5-8

WDW Marathon Weekend Jan 7-12
WDW Princess Half Marathon Weekend Feb 19-23
DCL Magic - Southern Caribbean Cruise Sept 27- Oct 4
Blog: DizThruBrownEyes.com
Old 12-18-2007, 04:49 AM   #10
KimmyDisneyNerd
Pouting for tags doesn't work

Hi Glenda!
I'm so glad you have a new TR. I was hoping we could make something work to dine at Boma but I ended up flying out on 12/10 instead of the 11th. Oh well there is always next time.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:57 AM   #11
cherokeemamma
DIS Veteran

Hey Glenda,

As always, I love it! Thanks so much for sharing. I have to tell you.....You are sssooo efficient! Garwsh, I haven't even started my TR from Oct. yet!!! I cannot wait to hear all about your new adventure and the Christmas decorations and festivities. You know I feel the same as Lan.....I sure wish I could have been there.

Hi Memom...your day sounds like so much fun. Exhausting but fun. I bet the kids in your class are bouncing off the walls. My DD is having PJ/Polar Express Day and her party is Thurs. She is very excited about that! BTW...Did you get my PM?

Well Glenda, I hope you have a wonderful day. I am going to try and call you.

TTFN,
Darlene

Check out my first trip report: The Hill Family's Surprise Vacation(w/ a ton of pics):
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1234215
Old 12-18-2007, 07:17 AM   #12
abbybeth
DIS Veteran

I'm here! I'm here!

Sounds like you had a pretty good start (with the exception of the whole knee swelling part) and what good timing to magically get in to Boma quicker

I can feel the excitement building already, bring on the Christmas decor!

(BTW, the rents and I caught this year's Disney special with Samantha Brown over the weekend and we were just mesmerized!)
Old 12-18-2007, 07:17 AM   #13
UrsulasShadow

I'm digging the cistern now..Oh, WIILL

Location: Under Plymouth Rock...crawling out for the occasional lobstah.

Get movin', Glenda, and start posting more! I'm going through some serious withdrawal here.

I really wish our trips had coincided this month. I left on the day you flew in, and oh boy, I wish I could have stayed another 2 weeks. The only AKL moment I got this time around was meeting DaisyDuck001 and several others (HI!) for dinner at Jiko, and I ALMOST went up to the desk to see if there were any rooms available for my last couple of nights...but realized I really couldn't afford it this trip even if there were. So I just hung out in the lobby for a couple of hours and soaked in the ambience, and gazed at the tree.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:22 AM   #14
betsywdw
DIS Veteran
Any old tag

Woo Hoo! A new Gmax report I didn't even start reading yet but had to say hi! I'm sure it will be awesome as always!

Welcome back Glenda

Official Stylist of Disland
Old 12-18-2007, 07:24 AM   #15
TLC371
DIS Veteran

Hi Glenda--thought I would de-lurk, say hi and I'm enjoying your trip report! I was down there last week too (from the 8th to the 15th).
Summer 1978/October 2003/September 2004/October 2005/ September 2006--we got engaged at Epcot! /October 2007/ December 2007/September 2008: You can read about those 3 trips here: Disneymoons/Anniversary

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: