Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2008, 09:32 PM   #31
deekaypee
Mouseketeer
Ah, life in my Disney daydream is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedy View Post
I got to Tusker House a little before my 11:55 ADR. There were some drummers playing while I was waiting. There was this little girl in those sparkly mouse ears who was just dancing her little heart out-it was adorable. When my buzzer went off, I went up to see a guy throwing a fit that he had to wait for his ADR.

Before I get to my play-by-play, review, Iíd like to summarize my thoughts. I liked Tusker House for lunch, I liked it a lot, in fact. However, I donít think Iíll ever eat there again. Itís too pricey for lunch, imo, especially when for $5 more you can have Boma in its entire splendor. But I did like it, a lot. It might be better than Boma for some crowds, as it has more "normal" food-like roast chicken and potatoes. It also has a make your own pbj bar, which might help keep your wee ones occupied while you eat. However, Iím thinking next time for lunch I may actually bus myself over to AKL and have a falafel sandwich and zebra domes.
First, thanks SO much for the reviews. I'm headed out to WDW in just a few days and you're really building my anticipation. I also appreciate all your tips, particularly about Tusker House as I was considering lunch there. The pbj bar sounds like quite a bit of fun, too.

Your review also mentions zebra domes, so I'd like to pass along a bit of additional info to other vegetarians out there. Depending on how strict a vegetarian you are, you may not want to eat them. I believe one of the ingredients in a zebra dome is gelatin, which isn't vegetarian of course. (Too bad for me, because they sound tasty. And double too bad for me, because that means I can't eat the decadent s'mores at Prime Time because of the marshmallows. )
... ................
deekaypee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:33 PM   #32
deekaypee
Mouseketeer

weird, I got a double post.
... ................
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2008, 09:44 PM   #33
Hedy
I'm 22 27 and I still kind of stammer
If you're old enough to hold a job, you're old enough to not burn popcorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by deekaypee View Post
First, thanks SO much for the reviews. I'm headed out to WDW in just a few days and you're really building my anticipation. I also appreciate all your tips, particularly about Tusker House as I was considering lunch there. The pbj bar sounds like quite a bit of fun, too.

Your review also mentions zebra domes, so I'd like to pass along a bit of additional info to other vegetarians out there. Depending on how strict a vegetarian you are, you may not want to eat them. I believe one of the ingredients in a zebra dome is gelatin, which isn't vegetarian of course. (Too bad for me, because they sound tasty. And double too bad for me, because that means I can't eat the decadent s'mores at Prime Time because of the marshmallows. )
I'm confused about zebra domes, honestly. The All Ears recipe lists gelatin, but it wasn't mentioned as a warning in the Vegetarian guidebook that I recall. Ergo, I thought it might be just one of things that comes up when making them at home. IDK.
4/93-Dixie Landings*12/96-Dixie Landings*2/02-POR*DLR-8/05-Royal Stovall's Inn*3/06-POR*12/07-POFQ**8/08-POP/Dolphin*10/09-POFQSwan 12/10*Podcast cruise 12/10*AKV 8/11*AoA 1/13*AoA 4/13 Universal: 7/08 HRH, 7/09 RPR, 8/10 RPR
*A vegetarian and pescetarian do Disney dining 12/07*Hedy and the Carnivores 08/08*Hedy and Lexie Rock Vegas 12/08*
'Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten

Hedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:05 PM   #34
Macca1111
I wish I were at WDW!
I'm good at the graceful stuff
Why would you put Ivy in the title if it's never going to come up again?

Just subscribing because my sister's a picky vegetarian, and this thread is really inspiring me. Nice pics and info!

Macca1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 02:13 PM   #35
*KeepMovingForward*

DIS Veteran

I'm not a vegetarian, but I am thoroughly enjoying your report. Sometimes its nice to try something different and you are definitely opening my eyes to all the choices that Disney offers.
*KeepMovingForward* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 07:41 PM   #36
Angelrose
Likes to dance in golden sun beams
Knows too many details about Gnarf, Fnarfle, Grotchy and Ronkle....yep, she needs help!! ;)
Drives me even crazier than I am

Really enjoying your report. Everything looks so delicious.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:44 PM   #37
deekaypee
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I'm confused about zebra domes, honestly. The All Ears recipe lists gelatin, but it wasn't mentioned as a warning in the Vegetarian guidebook that I recall. Ergo, I thought it might be just one of things that comes up when making them at home. IDK.
I'm going to be at Boma this Friday, pre-marathon. I'll ask and see what folks say. Cross your fingers for me, because I'd certainly love to give them a try!!!
... ................
Old 01-06-2008, 05:14 PM   #38
honeybee30
DIS Veteran

Great reviews! I like vegetarian food a lot. I'm not currently a vegetarian, but I was in 2005 on our 1st "grown-up" trip to WDW, so I understand the challenge of not subsisting solely on veggie burgers for a week straight. Surprisingly, a veggiesaurus can eat pretty well at WDW.

October 2005~POFQ/POR; March 2006~Pop; October 2006~ASMu; May 2007~Pop/POFQ; July 2007~POR; October 2007~AKL; January 2008~Pop; August 2008~WL/Poly; October 2008~POFQ; May 2010~Pop/POFQ; March 2011~Pop; May 2012~Pop; May 2014~CR/BC
honeybee30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:12 PM   #39
Hedy

Day 4 Lunch: Tangerine Cafe!

I had the Vegetarian Platter. (Shocker, I know). My notes don't indicate I *dislike* it, but I don't find myself drifting off about it like I do, say, Tonga Toast.
Couscous, lentil salad, hummous, and Olive salad. And a roll. The couscous was good, both fresh and flavorful. The lentil salad was a bust. It was lentils plus mayonnaise. Bleh. Not good or gud. The tabboleh was fresh, though, the hummus was also good. The hummus was heavier on the chickpea flavor, as opposed to the garlic at Tusker House. Both were good though. The olive salad was also good, the roll was kind of a non-sequitor but was eatable. It was ok with this meal, I feel like there are other CSí in Epcot that would be better (or one could just snack around the world). The restroom in Morrocco have flush handles, rather than being automatic-I feel like I hear enough stories of wee ones too scared to wee in the automatic ones that that info ought to be useful to someone.
4/93-Dixie Landings*12/96-Dixie Landings*2/02-POR*DLR-8/05-Royal Stovall's Inn*3/06-POR*12/07-POFQ**8/08-POP/Dolphin*10/09-POFQSwan 12/10*Podcast cruise 12/10*AKV 8/11*AoA 1/13*AoA 4/13 Universal: 7/08 HRH, 7/09 RPR, 8/10 RPR
*A vegetarian and pescetarian do Disney dining 12/07*Hedy and the Carnivores 08/08*Hedy and Lexie Rock Vegas 12/08*

Old 01-10-2008, 08:15 PM   #40
Hedy

Day 4 Dinner: Pecos Bills

The bad about Pecos Bill's was the good about this trip, I guess. It was my only dining disappointment this trip.
I had really liked their Chicken salad without the Chicken last trip-it was a garden salad with jicama and cheese. I ordered it at their touch screen stands, and found it to be renamed the “Vegetarian salad.” Good enough, if less comic-sounding. The re-named salad was horrible. It was an el cheapo garden salad with some cheese. First dining disappointment of the trip. It tasted like those old McDonald’s salads.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:33 PM   #41
KayleeUK
Still here.....

Thanks for sharing these. I love to see the veggie options
Old 01-12-2008, 03:17 PM   #42
deekaypee
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Just ate at Boma last night--great place for veggies to fuel for a race, btw!--and asked the server about the zebra domes. She confirmed they had gelatin in them. I consoled myself with the bread pudding with vanilla sauce, though!

Keep those reviews coming--I'm afraid that I don't have much to add at this point. My whole trip has been Goofy focused. One more day/one more race to go!
... ................
Old 01-12-2008, 03:21 PM   #43
Hedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by deekaypee View Post
Just ate at Boma last night--great place for veggies to fuel for a race, btw!--and asked the server about the zebra domes. She confirmed they had gelatin in them. I consoled myself with the bread pudding with vanilla sauce, though!

Keep those reviews coming--I'm afraid that I don't have much to add at this point. My whole trip has been Goofy focused. One more day/one more race to go!
. Thanks for the research.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:21 PM   #44
Mischief_Managed
I ask for so little. Just fear me, love me, do as I say and I will be your slave.

This is my kind of dining review. I am a flexitarian - I prefer to eat vegetarian, but will eat chicken/turkey and fish, if I have to. No mammalians though - I don't eat my own kind. Seeing a vegetarian report is fabulous to give me more options in WDW. And I have already taken so many notes from you. So THANKS!!!!

I make a lot of solo day trips to WDW - it is going to be a lot more since this semester I only have classes 3 days a week - I have Thursdays and Fridays off (other than doing that dreaded classwork though). But I have never done buffet alone. I am afraid that because I eat really slow, that they will think I am gone and clean my table while I am getting my food. I thought about nabbing one of those "I'll be right back" card from Sweet Tomatoes, so I can eat at WDW buffet. Did you have any problems with that? Or was your waiter really cognizant of where you were?

Thanks again. If you are ever solo at WDW again, let me know 'cause looks like we could eat at the same places and have no problems.

Sarah: Ow! It bit me!
Hoggle: What'd you expect fairies to do?
Sarah: I thought they did nice things, like... like granting wishes.
Hoggle: Shows what *you* know, don't it?
Mischief_Managed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 04:35 PM   #45
Hedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief_Managed View Post
This is my kind of dining review. I am a flexitarian - I prefer to eat vegetarian, but will eat chicken/turkey and fish, if I have to. No mammalians though - I don't eat my own kind. Seeing a vegetarian report is fabulous to give me more options in WDW. And I have already taken so many notes from you. So THANKS!!!!

I make a lot of solo day trips to WDW - it is going to be a lot more since this semester I only have classes 3 days a week - I have Thursdays and Fridays off (other than doing that dreaded classwork though). But I have never done buffet alone. I am afraid that because I eat really slow, that they will think I am gone and clean my table while I am getting my food. I thought about nabbing one of those "I'll be right back" card from Sweet Tomatoes, so I can eat at WDW buffet. Did you have any problems with that? Or was your waiter really cognizant of where you were?

Thanks again. If you are ever solo at WDW again, let me know 'cause looks like we could eat at the same places and have no problems.
I had a horrible experience with them clearing my place at Chef Mickey's in March of 06, but I had no trouble at Tusker House this year. So I think it's more a function of the individual server than being solo.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: