Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2009, 10:28 PM   #1441
amyngary
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyCruisin' View Post
For us, we need to get off as quickly as possible. I know that sounds weird - but we are heading to Epcot for the D23 Magic and Merriment event. Which reminds me - I need to get our transportation from the port to AKL settled soon. One more thing on the list of things to do!
I'm so jealous! I didn't know about the D23 event until after we booked airfare and told our employers we would be back to work that Monday. I would have loved to attend that. I really wanted to see inside the Castle suite! I hope you'll share the details with us when you return home!

--Amy
Old 11-08-2009, 10:37 PM   #1442
Tower
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyngary View Post
I hope you'll share the details with us when you return home!
Yes, Yes! - Lots of Pictures!

Past Disney Visits:
Mar 28-Apr 5, 2004 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Nov 10-16, 2006 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Nov 8-14, 2008 - WDW All Star Movies Resort
Dec 3-12, 2009 - CBR & Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean 7-Day Tour!
Feb 1-10, 2012 - WDW Port Orleans Riverside
Nov 10-17, 2012 - Disney Magic Western Caribbean to Grand Cayman & Cozumel!
Nov 8-15, 2013 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Tower is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-08-2009, 11:46 PM   #1443
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

You all sure talk a lot after I go to bed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuv tigger View Post
I really liked early dinner then we all went to the shows/movies as a family.

Here's hoping I get my wish ...
I hope you do too Let us know when you find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkmahm View Post
3 pm?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower View Post
I believe (now Hadley's sleeping again so I can't be sure and she can correct me if I'm wrong) but I believe that those not receiving their lanyards at the port, that 3:00PM in the Promenade Lounge sounded familiar.

As for breakfast at Lumieres, that's at 9:00AM. (Ok 9:30AM for those that really really want that extra 20min of sleep) We can't have it much later as we'll be missing out on all the rest of the fun on the ship!
I think 3 (half hour before the life boat drillm which is gerneally at 3:30) is what we talked about. It is really up to Amy because she will have the lanyards. Though, Amy, if you want to hand them off to me in the trminal at some point I can commit to being in Promenade. We have sailed plenty so I don't feel I need to explore the ship, We have no reservations to make, etc.

Quote:
Some of us will just be stopping by to say hi and not eating breakfast - Brunch at Palo is calling our names!!!!!!
You can always sit and have a glass of juice or cup of coffee before you head up to Palo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn Rada View Post
One good thing if you stuck with the late dinner.... you get a little more time on the last day to have breakfast before you get off the ship
Or, look it as we do (we are wierd and prefer late; even when the kids were little we did): everyone will be awake and alert for the shows We enjoy seeing the shows and then being able to talk about them over dinner.

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:02 AM   #1444
amyngary
Mouseketeer

Promenade and Dinner Seating

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHdisneylover View Post
I think 3 (half hour before the life boat drillm which is gerneally at 3:30) is what we talked about. It is really up to Amy because she will have the lanyards. Though, Amy, if you want to hand them off to me in the trminal at some point I can commit to being in Promenade. We have sailed plenty so I don't feel I need to explore the ship, We have no reservations to make, etc.

Or, look it as we do (we are wierd and prefer late; even when the kids were little we did): everyone will be awake and alert for the shows We enjoy seeing the shows and then being able to talk about them over dinner.
Hadley,
Since you offered I think I will hand the lanyards off to you if that's OK. We really want to try to change our Palo ressie and get a brunch or tea ressie too. I hope to make it to the Promenade at 3pm, but it would be nice not to feel pressured to do so :-)

So glad you posted another opinion about late dining - I was beginning to wonder if we were making a mistake. That is exactly why I did not even try for early dining - I figure our kids will be so excited and will have fun at dinner talking about the shows, etc. And this way we won't be rushed to get ready for dinner on port days either.

I got most of my FE gifts ready today... just waiting to find out the gender of some of the kids before I can finish them up Also, I finally officially started packing. I feel better about having things started now....

-Amy
Old 11-09-2009, 12:12 AM   #1445
NHdisneylover

Hi Amy--you're up late! I am happy to take the lanyards from you at the terminal so you can get your errands done I hope you get the Palo ressies.
Even when the kids were little and often fell asleep at dinner, I STILL prefered late dining We prefered to feed them first from deck 9 or room service and let tehm enjoy the shows before they were too tired and then if they slept throgh dinner it was no bigge. Back then the shows were a lot more fun for them than the meals anyway. It is nice being the odd ones out and liking late dining as we ALWAYS get what we want

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

Old 11-09-2009, 04:57 AM   #1446
wuv tigger
I just want us to all be well
Owned lime green t-shirts BEFORE she found disboards
Dan Murphy's NOT Santa? I'm shocked!...

Still hoping for early seating ....

I go to bed early and get up by 5 am every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn Rada View Post
One good thing if you stuck with the late dinner.... you get a little more time on the last day to have breakfast before you get off the ship
That won't help us as we have an early flight home on the 12th.

wuv tigger
wuv tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:43 AM   #1447
DisneyCruisin'
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm so jealous! I didn't know about the D23 event until after we booked airfare and told our employers we would be back to work that Monday. I would have loved to attend that. I really wanted to see inside the Castle suite! I hope you'll share the details with us when you return home!

--Amy
Yes, I will post tons of pics (it might not be until Christmas vacation - but I will get them posted). I'm not sure who in the family is more excited about the event - DH, DS or myself. We originally didn't plan to go but then after talking about it and figuring out that DS would only miss reading, lunch and recess Monday morning (we get back here at 10:40 and his school starts at 9:05 and he goes to lunch at 10:45) we realized quickly it was a once in a lifetime event to try and do. My only concern is getting from the Port to AKL to drop our stuff off and get to Epcot in time. Registration starts at 9a.m. and the first event is at 10a.m.

Any ideas on who use to for transportation?? We've thrown around the idea of getting a towncar service and just have them drop us off at the rental car place at WDW as we will need a rental car for the next two days - or do we get a rental car at Port Canaveral - but if so who do we use that will be open early, early? Any ideas would be great!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DisneyCruisin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:03 AM   #1448
NHdisneylover

I think you would be better off going with a rental car in your situation. I think all the Port Canaveral rental car agencies are open by the time you are allowed off the ship (good to double check though). The advantage there is that if you get behind schedule somehow (bad traffice, etc.) you can just leave your luggage locked in the trunk of the car and not go to AKL until the end of the day. Also, it will likely be faster if you pay for a cab to the rental car agency, rather than waiting on a shuttle

Old 11-09-2009, 07:26 AM   #1449
Inkmahm
Disney nut

Quote:
For us, we need to get off as quickly as possible. I know that sounds weird - but we are heading to Epcot for the D23 Magic and Merriment event. Which reminds me - I need to get our transportation from the port to AKL settled soon. One more thing on the list of things to do!
I must have missed that one... I'm a D23 member too. Will have to look it up to see what this is.

Inkmahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:30 AM   #1450
Inkmahm
Disney nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHdisneylover View Post
I think you would be better off going with a rental car in your situation. I think all the Port Canaveral rental car agencies are open by the time you are allowed off the ship (good to double check though). The advantage there is that if you get behind schedule somehow (bad traffice, etc.) you can just leave your luggage locked in the trunk of the car and not go to AKL until the end of the day. Also, it will likely be faster if you pay for a cab to the rental car agency, rather than waiting on a shuttle
Avis doesn't open until 7:30 and I'm usually off the ship long before then.

Inkmahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:25 AM   #1451
carmie3377
Hi, I'm Carmen and I'm a Disneyholic.

Location: Exactly 983 miles from the Magic Kingdom and 1,541 from Disneyland

Quote:

So glad you posted another opinion about late dining - I was beginning to wonder if we were making a mistake. That is exactly why I did not even try for early dining - I figure our kids will be so excited and will have fun at dinner talking about the shows, etc. And this way we won't be rushed to get ready for dinner on port days either.
We have late too and at first I was disappointed. Then after reading a lot of posts about how great it can be with having some extra time on port days, ect, I'm really glad we got "stuck" with late dining!

Quote:
I got most of my FE gifts ready today... just waiting to find out the gender of some of the kids before I can finish them up Also, I finally officially started packing. I feel better about having things started now....

-Amy
Haley (girl)
Cameron (boy)

I worked on my adult FE gifts yesterday. I got most of the kids done but kinda stuck on what to give the teen boys. Any ideas anyone???

I haven't started packing but I have worked on clothing lists. That way, I won't forget anything. We have forgotten important things before. I probably won't actually start packing until a few days before. We're still in shorts and tees around here on some days so I really can't be packing yet. I will start getting meds and things packed before too long. Don't want to be stuck paying super high prices for OTC meds and such.

Has anyone experienced sea sickness before? If so, what worked for you? We have some Zofran that I have heard other people taking but just curious what others have done. Since we've never cruised, we don't know what to expect.
Aug/03 - 1st Trip DL Aug/04 - FW Cabins 1st trip WDW Jun/05 - WDW offsite Dec/06 - ASMo/OKW & MVMCP Jan/08 - POR BFF trip Sept-Oct/08 - AKV & MNSSHP Dec/09 - Pop*Disney Magic 7 nt Eastern w/ Tortola*Pop again Jan/11 - Disney Wonder 15 nt Panama Canal WB Nov/11 - Cor Spngs w/my honey Dec/11 - AKV Kidani w/ the kids Oct/12 - CR/Poly & MNSSHP Mar/13 - Disney Fantasy 7 nt Eastern w/San Juan May/13 - Disney Magic 6 nt Western w/my honey June/13 - SSR Girls Only Trip Sept/13 - Disneyland Paris w/my honey Oct/13 - BC & MNSSHP w/my honey

carmie3377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:26 AM   #1452
Hanover
DIS Veteran

Don't forget that Topsiders will be open on debarkation day. After our 2nd DCL cruise, we started just going there for our last breakfast at our own leisure instead of having to be at the assigned restaurant for early diners. I think it closes at 8:30 which allowed us to sleep a little longer than we would have been able to do so had we gone to the restaurant.

DisneyCruisin' - you'll love the castle suite. We were able to do a tour of it in August 2008 through DVC. It was really, really neat. The architecture of everything from the elevator you go up in to the little lobby outside of the room to the room's hidden phone on the night stand to the windows, the floors to the toilet is amazing! Even the ceiling above the whirlpool is awesome. Stand near the shower to see the artwork inside too and check out the faucets! They showed our boys a hidden fridge in the "kids" room that they thought was great. Watch the fireplace too when you are there....

2/12-2/16/2014 4 Day Wonder Cruise Miami; 12/7/2013 AKV Jambo House Concierge; 11/30/2013 7 day Eastern Fantasy cruise; 11/26-11/30/2013 AKV Jambo House; 9/29-10/1/2013 BLT; Disneyland Paris 7/27/2013; 7/13-25/2013 Eastern Mediterranean Magic; 6/6-6/11/2013 Star Wars Weekends/AKV Jambo House Concierge; 2/7-2/12/2013 Saratoga Spring Resort;12 /6-12/9/2012 Jambo House Concierge; 12/2/2012 4 Day Dream; 11/30-12/2/2012 Jambo House Concierge;11/1-2/2012 AKV; 10/28/2012: 4 day Disney Dream/1st DCL trip minus our kids;10/27-28/2012 BLT; 1st Disneyland Trip: 8/6-8/12/2012;Disneyland Resort/Grand Californian; 6/7-6/12/2012 Jambo House/ Last Star Wars Weekend of 2012; 5/17-5/21/2012 AKV- Kidani/1st Star Wars Weekend of 2012; 1/1-1/2/2012: AKV Jambo House; 12/27-12/30/2011 AKV-Jambo House;12/3/2011 AKV-Kidani; 11/26/11 Western Magic; 11/22-26/2011 AKV-Kidani; 7/18-7/2011 AKV Kidani; 7/22-24/2011/Jambo House Concierge; 7/24/11 5 Night Dream Cruise; 7/29-30/2011AKV Jambo House Concierge; 7/31-8/2/2011 Villas at Wilderness Lodge; 6/8-6/14/2011 AKV Kidani Village; 12/9-12/12/2010 AKV/MVMCP; 12/5/2010 4 Night Wonder; 12/3-12/5 AKV Jambo House concierge; 10/22-25/2010 AKV/MNSSHP; 7/18/2010 Magic Northern European Capitals/Baltic Cruise; 6/4-8/2010 AKV Jambo House Concierge/Star Wars Weekends; 1/31/09 Beach Club Villas; 1/28/10 3 Night Wonder; 12/12-12/13/2009 BLT;12/5-12/12 Eastern Magic to Tortola;12/3-12/5 AKV Jambo House Concierge;10/30-11/02 Kidani/BLT & MNSSHP;8/12-8/24/09 AKV/Kidani; 8/13/09 3 Day Wonder; 6/5-8/2009 Star Wars Weekends/AKV;1/31/09-2/5/09;2/1/09 4 Night Wonder;12/5-12/14/08 AKV;12/7 Mousefest cruise; 8/21-9/1/08 AKV; 4 Day Wonder 8/24; Pop Century for Free Dining!Pop Century for SWW 6/13-6/17/2008 AKV 4/24-4/29/08-AKV 12/2007-12/1/07 Western Magic cruise-VWL 11/2007 -10/07 BCV/1st DVC trip-7/7/07 11 Day DCL Med Cruise-Star Wars Weekends ASM/ POR/CSR June 2007- POR/CSR/ 3 Day Wonder/CBR December 4-11, 2006 - Offsite July 2006-Eastern Magic May 13-20, 2006 -Offsite May 2006 - CBR 1/2006-CBR 8/2005-Offsite 4/2005-AKL/Wonder Land & Sea vacation 2/2005-Offsite 12/2003-Offsite 4/2003-Offsite 7 & 8/2002-Offsite 11/99-CBR 11/96 (Honeymoon)-Offsite 3/87-Too many times to count 1982-1984 when living in Orlando-Offsite 1976- Offsite 1974-Offsite 1973
Hanover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:35 AM   #1453
Hanover
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmie3377 View Post
Has anyone experienced sea sickness before? If so, what worked for you? We have some Zofran that I have heard other people taking but just curious what others have done. Since we've never cruised, we don't know what to expect.
I get very motion sick. Even swings make me feel ill. I've only been seasick on 2 of the 9 DCL cruises we've been on. For me, it seemed to be room location. One we were very far forward and our bed faced the opposite direction of the way we were moving. For some reason I was sitting on our stateroom sofa (also backwards of the direction we were going) looking outside at the waves breaking and that got me sick. We were moving at a good speed too and it was probably the highest waves of any of our cruises. The other time we had the very last room on deck 7 and there was just too much movement for me. Fresh air and looking at the horizon helps me personally. I've also taken bonine which helps and doesn't make me sleepy. I tried the scopamine (sp) patch and that didn't work for me. I got a very dry mouth and blurry eyes (my dh put it on me so it wasn't like I did it and rubbed my eyes) I also tried a herbal behind the ear medicine and the smell of it alone made me feel even queasier and didn't work. The other DCL cruises we've been midship and I've been totally fine. The boys and Derek have never gotten seasick on the Magic or Wonder. Brennan does get seasick on smaller excursion boats but Bonine has helped him with it.

2/12-2/16/2014 4 Day Wonder Cruise Miami; 12/7/2013 AKV Jambo House Concierge; 11/30/2013 7 day Eastern Fantasy cruise; 11/26-11/30/2013 AKV Jambo House; 9/29-10/1/2013 BLT; Disneyland Paris 7/27/2013; 7/13-25/2013 Eastern Mediterranean Magic; 6/6-6/11/2013 Star Wars Weekends/AKV Jambo House Concierge; 2/7-2/12/2013 Saratoga Spring Resort;12 /6-12/9/2012 Jambo House Concierge; 12/2/2012 4 Day Dream; 11/30-12/2/2012 Jambo House Concierge;11/1-2/2012 AKV; 10/28/2012: 4 day Disney Dream/1st DCL trip minus our kids;10/27-28/2012 BLT; 1st Disneyland Trip: 8/6-8/12/2012;Disneyland Resort/Grand Californian; 6/7-6/12/2012 Jambo House/ Last Star Wars Weekend of 2012; 5/17-5/21/2012 AKV- Kidani/1st Star Wars Weekend of 2012; 1/1-1/2/2012: AKV Jambo House; 12/27-12/30/2011 AKV-Jambo House;12/3/2011 AKV-Kidani; 11/26/11 Western Magic; 11/22-26/2011 AKV-Kidani; 7/18-7/2011 AKV Kidani; 7/22-24/2011/Jambo House Concierge; 7/24/11 5 Night Dream Cruise; 7/29-30/2011AKV Jambo House Concierge; 7/31-8/2/2011 Villas at Wilderness Lodge; 6/8-6/14/2011 AKV Kidani Village; 12/9-12/12/2010 AKV/MVMCP; 12/5/2010 4 Night Wonder; 12/3-12/5 AKV Jambo House concierge; 10/22-25/2010 AKV/MNSSHP; 7/18/2010 Magic Northern European Capitals/Baltic Cruise; 6/4-8/2010 AKV Jambo House Concierge/Star Wars Weekends; 1/31/09 Beach Club Villas; 1/28/10 3 Night Wonder; 12/12-12/13/2009 BLT;12/5-12/12 Eastern Magic to Tortola;12/3-12/5 AKV Jambo House Concierge;10/30-11/02 Kidani/BLT & MNSSHP;8/12-8/24/09 AKV/Kidani; 8/13/09 3 Day Wonder; 6/5-8/2009 Star Wars Weekends/AKV;1/31/09-2/5/09;2/1/09 4 Night Wonder;12/5-12/14/08 AKV;12/7 Mousefest cruise; 8/21-9/1/08 AKV; 4 Day Wonder 8/24; Pop Century for Free Dining!Pop Century for SWW 6/13-6/17/2008 AKV 4/24-4/29/08-AKV 12/2007-12/1/07 Western Magic cruise-VWL 11/2007 -10/07 BCV/1st DVC trip-7/7/07 11 Day DCL Med Cruise-Star Wars Weekends ASM/ POR/CSR June 2007- POR/CSR/ 3 Day Wonder/CBR December 4-11, 2006 - Offsite July 2006-Eastern Magic May 13-20, 2006 -Offsite May 2006 - CBR 1/2006-CBR 8/2005-Offsite 4/2005-AKL/Wonder Land & Sea vacation 2/2005-Offsite 12/2003-Offsite 4/2003-Offsite 7 & 8/2002-Offsite 11/99-CBR 11/96 (Honeymoon)-Offsite 3/87-Too many times to count 1982-1984 when living in Orlando-Offsite 1976- Offsite 1974-Offsite 1973
Hanover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:53 AM   #1454
fluvannaj
Mouseketeer

Hadley,

If you are planning on coming late to breakfast, I can what is left after the 3:00 meet and bring them to breakfast.

We're happy with late dining also. Last time, DH was tired after dinner and missed some shows. I know he won't skip food though! Late dining also gives us more time to get ready for dinner. Not to mention late breakfast at check-out.

I'm jealous of how far along you guys are on FE gifts. I have shopped and have an idea for my cabin gifts but haven't started assembling yet. I don't think it will take too long.

I'm printing lanyard badges today though!

In past cruises, do you put the DIS name only on the main poster in the family or put it on the whole family's badge so we know who to associate them with?

Fluvanna

Quote:
Hadley,
Since you offered I think I will hand the lanyards off to you if that's OK. We really want to try to change our Palo ressie and get a brunch or tea ressie too. I hope to make it to the Promenade at 3pm, but it would be nice not to feel pressured to do so :-)

-Amy

Disney Magic Eastern December 5-12, 2009

Disney Wonder October 23-28, 2011
fluvannaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:01 AM   #1455
Tower
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluvannaj View Post
In past cruises, do you put the DIS name only on the main poster in the family or put it on the whole family's badge so we know who to associate them with?
Just my 2 cents, I'd suggest putting the DIS name so that the kids know who the parent/poster is. We would know the person is a child of a DIS'er regardless, but kinda neat to know. I don't know how others feel about it w.r.t. family privacy.

Past Disney Visits:
Mar 28-Apr 5, 2004 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Nov 10-16, 2006 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Nov 8-14, 2008 - WDW All Star Movies Resort
Dec 3-12, 2009 - CBR & Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean 7-Day Tour!
Feb 1-10, 2012 - WDW Port Orleans Riverside
Nov 10-17, 2012 - Disney Magic Western Caribbean to Grand Cayman & Cozumel!
Nov 8-15, 2013 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Tower is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: