Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2009, 03:48 PM   #781
sdlong329
"Life is just a Fantasy!"

I just got off the phone with DCL reservations/CS supervisor. I was told DCL was booked as the second ship in port (one year ago), but that the port cannot accomodate more than one ship. Apparently, DCL just found out about the other ship, and opted to change to Tortola. This does not make sense. Why would an island overbook their capacity by 100%, and not bother to tell someone? Seems to me, someone at the island would expect to get several thousand people ticked off, as well as at least one cruise line.

So, what do people do that have already been to Tortola and St. Thomas ... not once, but twice already this year? We were on the first DCL cruise to Tortola (4/25/09). Although it's a pleasure to sail on Disney ... I am not sure I would spend thousands of dollars on 3 separate cruises to identical ports within the same 3 months. Although itineraries do change for weather and health reasons, changing because of overbooking just does not sound right - especially 60 days prior to sailing.

At this point, I could possibly run my own excursion off of Tortola. The island is nice ... but not much to do around the port ... other than walk past a small tent city of retail mavens selling t-shirts. You either book an excursion, or you book an excursion. Once you have already done the excursions, there isn't much else to consider - expecially 60 days out.

BUMMED!

DCL MAGIC: 4 night Bahamas practice cruise ('99), 7 night Eastern Caribbean ('01), 7 night Western Caribbean ('06), 15 night EB Panama Canal - Inaugural to Aruba & Cartagena (Aug-Sep '08), Eastern Caribbean / Inaugural Tortola (April-May '09), Eastern Caribbean / St. Croix (Ooops - Tortola, again) (Dec '09), 14 night EB TransAtlantic, Florida to Barcelona (April '10), 12 night EB TransAtlantic, Galveston to Barcelona (May '13), 7 night Southern Caribbean, R/T San Juan (Sept/Oct '14), 15 night EB TransAtlantic (Florida to Copenhagen) (May '15)
DCL WONDER: 4 night Bahamas practice cruise (April '08), LA - Vancouver REPO (Apr/May '11), -B2B- Inaugural Alaska (May '11)
DCL FANTASY: 7 night Maiden Voyage: Western Caribbean (March '12), 7 night podCast 4.0 Western Caribbean (Dec '12), 7 night San Juan/Western Caribbean (Apr '15)
DISapalooza: WWOHP / Universal (Dec '12)
DISNEY ON BROADWAY: Mary Poppins @ New Amsterdam Theatre - 2012, Spiderman (Marvel) @ Foxwoods Theatre - 2012, The Lion King @ Minskoff Theatre - 2013, Aladdin @ New Amsterdam Theatre - 2014
NON-DCL: RCCL Freedom FROM the Seas, Western Caribbean, Jan 2014; Celebrity Horizon, 7 night Philadelphia - Bermuda; HAL Noordam, 10 night NYC - Caribbean; Princess, 7 night FL-Caribbean; Carnival (don't waste my time)
sdlong329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:53 PM   #782
Tower
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlong329 View Post
I just received my letter in the mail. TORTOLA may be nice - but I was just there (on Disney Magic). ***! Cancelling a day in port because there will be one more ship in port is assinine! Many people book a cruise for a specific intinerary. If I book a cruise to Hawaii, I do not want to be rerouted to Alaska - just because there is another ship in port.
Sorry you feel about the change Donna (or was that Steve posting?). So, you were in Tortola already? Was it good? Is there anything to avoid?

I'm looking forward to it just the same. Though I've been to St. Thomas before, I'm still looking forward to that too.

Must be nice to be able to go on 2 Disney cruises so close together! We won't likely be going again for a few years due to the cost!

Past Disney Visits:
Mar 28-Apr 5, 2004 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Nov 10-16, 2006 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Nov 8-14, 2008 - WDW All Star Movies Resort
Dec 3-12, 2009 - CBR & Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean 7-Day Tour!
Feb 1-10, 2012 - WDW Port Orleans Riverside
Nov 10-17, 2012 - Disney Magic Western Caribbean to Grand Cayman & Cozumel!
Nov 8-15, 2013 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Tower is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-28-2009, 06:11 PM   #783
sdlong329

Steven here. In addition to the 1st Disney Tortola (Apr/May 2009), we were also on the Disney 15 day Eastbound Panama Canal repositioning cruise (Aug-Sep 2008) ... have a Disney Western Caribbean booked for late 2009, and already booked Disney Alaska for 5/3/11. We used our Disney Vacation Club points for the Tortola cruise. If you want to experience Disney at least every 24 months, you should seriously consider DVC. They are fairly low pressure - and the program either MAKES SENSE to you - or it doesn't.

As for Tortola ... there is NOTHING within walking distance of the pier. There are virtually NO shopping facilities ... only three guaranteed stores (one sells spices, one sells watches only, and the other is Columbian Emeralds. The 3 stored are all within a 1/4 mile of each other, but about 1/2 mile from the ship. We did the Dolphin Encounter one time, and took an excursion to Jost Van **** Island this past time. Jost Van **** has a total island population of only 300 year round residents. It's a 30 minute water taxi ride each way, and very secluded. We did encounter boat transportation problems to and from Jost Van ****, and the tour guides forgot to "put out" the water activities (included in the $105 package price). No matter - we survived - liked it a lot.

Once you are finished with one excursion, your are destined to return to the ship ... with virtually no other activities in between your initial excursion, and your return ride back to the ship. Most other Caribbean islands yield the chance to shop at retail facilities ... hit a local beach ... or tour a local attraction. On Tortola ... you do not get inundated with hacks trying to whack you for a private island tour (I don't remember many taxi's - other than those that were on standy-by for pre-booked excursions - mostly open sided transport trucks).

TAXI's are UNMETERED on Tortola. Check with the Port & Shopping Guide for rates. My previous port guide shows a TRUE (typical) taxi ride at $24 (1-3 passengers) to get to OR from LONG BAY, CARROT BAY, APPLE BAY ... or $40 for SMUGGLER'S COVE. Each additional passenger is $5. Rates may be different for tour-bus type (bulk) transit fares. Accordingly, it can get expensive if you want to go somewhere for an hour or so.

DCL MAGIC: 4 night Bahamas practice cruise ('99), 7 night Eastern Caribbean ('01), 7 night Western Caribbean ('06), 15 night EB Panama Canal - Inaugural to Aruba & Cartagena (Aug-Sep '08), Eastern Caribbean / Inaugural Tortola (April-May '09), Eastern Caribbean / St. Croix (Ooops - Tortola, again) (Dec '09), 14 night EB TransAtlantic, Florida to Barcelona (April '10), 12 night EB TransAtlantic, Galveston to Barcelona (May '13), 7 night Southern Caribbean, R/T San Juan (Sept/Oct '14), 15 night EB TransAtlantic (Florida to Copenhagen) (May '15)
DCL WONDER: 4 night Bahamas practice cruise (April '08), LA - Vancouver REPO (Apr/May '11), -B2B- Inaugural Alaska (May '11)
DCL FANTASY: 7 night Maiden Voyage: Western Caribbean (March '12), 7 night podCast 4.0 Western Caribbean (Dec '12), 7 night San Juan/Western Caribbean (Apr '15)
DISNEY ON BROADWAY: Mary Poppins @ New Amsterdam Theatre - 2012, Spiderman (Marvel) @ Foxwoods Theatre - 2012, The Lion King @ Minskoff Theatre - 2013, Aladdin @ New Amsterdam Theatre - 2014
NON-DCL: RCCL Freedom FROM the Seas, Western Caribbean, Jan 2014; Celebrity Horizon, 7 night Philadelphia - Bermuda; HAL Noordam, 10 night NYC - Caribbean; Princess, 7 night FL-Caribbean; Carnival (don't waste my time)

Last edited by sdlong329; 09-28-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:09 AM   #784
Inkmahm
Disney nut

Just got the letter from DCL yesterday telling us of the switch to Tortola. Thanks to the DIS, I had my Tortola excursion booked already last week!

For those still looking, here's the link to reviews of the excursions from prior DCL cruisers: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post30675636 It's from the sticky thread for alphabetical topics on this forum.

The one we signed up for doesn't seem to be there so maybe it is new? The land and sea tour...

Inkmahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:14 AM   #785
Inkmahm
Disney nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlong329 View Post
Steven here. In addition to the 1st Disney Tortola (Apr/May 2009), we were also on the Disney 15 day Eastbound Panama Canal repositioning cruise (Aug-Sep 2008) ... have a Disney Western Caribbean booked for late 2009, and already booked Disney Alaska for 5/3/11. We used our Disney Vacation Club points for the Tortola cruise. If you want to experience Disney at least every 24 months, you should seriously consider DVC. They are fairly low pressure - and the program either MAKES SENSE to you - or it doesn't.
We are DVC members, too, but never use points for cruises. WAY too expensive compared to paying cash.

We've also tentatively scheduled the Alaska cruise on August 16 for 2011. It will depend on pricing from Princess for 2011 when that is released. If Disney isn't TOO much more, we're likely to try it. But we've been to Alaska before and will go again in future years so the Disney itinerary doesn't bother me too much for this one cruise. I would NOT take DCL if it were my first trip to Alaska though. May 3 is also VERY VERY early for Alaska cruising. I"d suggest reading up on Alaska here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum...aysprune=&f=55 Budget Queen in particular gives wonderful advice. See this in particular (lots of Alaska residents post on that forum) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1067341

Inkmahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:52 AM   #786
sdlong329

I typically do not go on DCL, unless it is twice the price of Princess/HAL (or less). In this case, the inaugural cruise met that price range. We researched the weather, and recognize it's an early date (weather wise). Somehow, I have the feeling we will likely return to Alaska ... so I am sure we will be able to experience the full spectrum of cruising in Alaska. We've been waiting for DCL to go to Alaska, and also wanted to be on the inaugural cruise. I seriously doubt being able to book a cruise on the first cruise for either the Dream or Fantasy ... and I likely will not be one of the first guests to experience Disney's Resort in Hawaii.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:24 AM   #787
Tower
DIS Veteran

Palo Dining

Hi All Experienced Palo Diners!

So, as you know, High Tea is full as expected.

I read that we may be able to book something when we board the ship. Where would we do that? Go directly to Palo? at the Customer Service Desk? I'd like to make a beeline to that ASAP after boarding to see if I can work something out.

Thanks

Past Disney Visits:
Old 09-29-2009, 11:34 AM   #788
sdlong329

Head for Rockin' Bar D (Deck 3, Forward in the Beat Street section of the ship). There, you can book or change Palo reservations, make other dining changes, request a specific server, etc.

When you board the ship, a Disney cast member will almost always personally greet you, to point you towards the indoor / outdoor buffet (Topsiders, deck 9, aft), as well as Rockin' Bar D for the aforementioned requests.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:41 AM   #789
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

Hey steven, welome to the meet thread. I'm sorry you are upset about the itenerary change. Like I said, I would rather St. Croix (I was excited to tour the old plantation for my birthday--I get to make the plans no questions asked by family that day) but I am not really upset by it. My suggestion to you if you do not care for Tortolla is to do what we do in St. Thomas (which we do not care for)--enjoy having the ship virtually to yourself If you want to book the rainforest room for a day--port days are excellent becuase it will be empty most of the day. The spa often runs good specials on port days as well if you would liek a massage.

Tower, when you get to Rockin' Bar D be prepared for long lines. Don't panic just get in line right away and hope for the best. You may well get a ressie, and if not DO ask to be added to the waiting list. We have been called and told we could have a spot when on the waiting list before. Good luck

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:54 AM   #790
sdlong329

My biggest concern is the lack of proper timing. We are being LIED TO about Disney not knowing of another ship. We all booked this cruise - expecting to go on this cruise. If it was changed due to weather or illness concerns (while at sea), that would be different.

It is very likely that Disney made the itinerary change due to quality concern issues at St. Croix. Okay, so if this is true, WHEN was it decided - and why so late? When was the last time Disney was in St. Croix?

We had a huge problem with an excursion at Tortola ... salvaged what we could out of the day. We enjoyed ourselves no matter what. That aside, if you've already been to St. Thomas & Tortola 2x within the past 12 months, you really don't want to spend thousands of dollars to go again. Had I known, I would have booked another itinerary.

I am being offered the chance to rebook the cruise (earlier or later date), but I will loose my money already paid for airfare, hotel, transportation, house-sitter, etc. Again - if Disney knew there was an issue, they should not have waited so long to make the decision.

If it truly is because there is another ship in port, why not just switch dates with St. Thomas? St. Croix has had multiple ships in port before. In this case, I think Disney just *missed the boat* on the timing.

I'd really rather not spend several thousands of dollars, just to sit on the ship. I understand a cruise line cannot make everyone happy - but again - they waited MUCH too long!

Old 09-29-2009, 02:03 PM   #791
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

I agree that the reasoning for the switch seems suspect and that, at a MINIMUM, the annoucement should have been made before the final payment due date. However, I am goign to enjoy my DCL cruise no matter where it goes (goodness I enjoyed the first two and both missed Castaway Cay, which is really depressing). I do understand your frustrations, however.

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:20 PM   #792
Tower
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHdisneylover View Post
Tower, when you get to Rockin' Bar D be prepared for long lines. Don't panic just get in line right away and hope for the best. You may well get a ressie, and if not DO ask to be added to the waiting list. We have been called and told we could have a spot when on the waiting list before. Good luck
Thank You Hadley & Steven. Definitely good information to have.

What's that movie called again? Oh yeah, "9 1/2 Weeks" (to go that is )

Past Disney Visits:
Old 09-30-2009, 01:08 PM   #793
Hanover
DIS Veteran

We received our DCL letter yesterday about the change of ports.

We specifically chose the St. Croix itinerary when we booked in July 2007 while on our DCL Med cruise, but we'll make the most of Tortola. I just signed up for the forrest/beach excursion and the dolphin swim in Tortola. I'm not sure if we'll do both but at least wanted to have them booked for now. We were going to do the St. Croix city highlights tour and avoided the dolphin trip to Tortola since it was going to be 2 hours each way transportation. Now it's only 10 minutes each way.

I'm also surprised that Disney didn't just switch port days/sea days around and stick with St. Croix. It would be nice if they offered us all discounts off our Tortolla tours or a future cruise but I doubt it would happen unless we all really complained.

We just can't wait to be on the ship no matter where we end up!

2/12-2/16/2014 4 Day Wonder Cruise Miami; 12/7/2013 AKV Jambo House Concierge; 11/30/2013 7 day Eastern Fantasy cruise; 11/26-11/30/2013 AKV Jambo House; 9/29-10/1/2013 BLT; Disneyland Paris 7/27/2013; 7/13-25/2013 Eastern Mediterranean Magic; 6/6-6/11/2013 Star Wars Weekends/AKV Jambo House Concierge; 2/7-2/12/2013 Saratoga Spring Resort;12 /6-12/9/2012 Jambo House Concierge; 12/2/2012 4 Day Dream; 11/30-12/2/2012 Jambo House Concierge;11/1-2/2012 AKV; 10/28/2012: 4 day Disney Dream/1st DCL trip minus our kids;10/27-28/2012 BLT; 1st Disneyland Trip: 8/6-8/12/2012;Disneyland Resort/Grand Californian; 6/7-6/12/2012 Jambo House/ Last Star Wars Weekend of 2012; 5/17-5/21/2012 AKV- Kidani/1st Star Wars Weekend of 2012; 1/1-1/2/2012: AKV Jambo House; 12/27-12/30/2011 AKV-Jambo House;12/3/2011 AKV-Kidani; 11/26/11 Western Magic; 11/22-26/2011 AKV-Kidani; 7/18-7/2011 AKV Kidani; 7/22-24/2011/Jambo House Concierge; 7/24/11 5 Night Dream Cruise; 7/29-30/2011AKV Jambo House Concierge; 7/31-8/2/2011 Villas at Wilderness Lodge; 6/8-6/14/2011 AKV Kidani Village; 12/9-12/12/2010 AKV/MVMCP; 12/5/2010 4 Night Wonder; 12/3-12/5 AKV Jambo House concierge; 10/22-25/2010 AKV/MNSSHP; 7/18/2010 Magic Northern European Capitals/Baltic Cruise; 6/4-8/2010 AKV Jambo House Concierge/Star Wars Weekends; 1/31/09 Beach Club Villas; 1/28/10 3 Night Wonder; 12/12-12/13/2009 BLT;12/5-12/12 Eastern Magic to Tortola;12/3-12/5 AKV Jambo House Concierge;10/30-11/02 Kidani/BLT & MNSSHP;8/12-8/24/09 AKV/Kidani; 8/13/09 3 Day Wonder; 6/5-8/2009 Star Wars Weekends/AKV;1/31/09-2/5/09;2/1/09 4 Night Wonder;12/5-12/14/08 AKV;12/7 Mousefest cruise; 8/21-9/1/08 AKV; 4 Day Wonder 8/24; Pop Century for Free Dining!Pop Century for SWW 6/13-6/17/2008 AKV 4/24-4/29/08-AKV 12/2007-12/1/07 Western Magic cruise-VWL 11/2007 -10/07 BCV/1st DVC trip-7/7/07 11 Day DCL Med Cruise-Star Wars Weekends ASM/ POR/CSR June 2007- POR/CSR/ 3 Day Wonder/CBR December 4-11, 2006 - Offsite July 2006-Eastern Magic May 13-20, 2006 -Offsite May 2006 - CBR 1/2006-CBR 8/2005-Offsite 4/2005-AKL/Wonder Land & Sea vacation 2/2005-Offsite 12/2003-Offsite 4/2003-Offsite 7 & 8/2002-Offsite 11/99-CBR 11/96 (Honeymoon)-Offsite 3/87-Too many times to count 1982-1984 when living in Orlando-Offsite 1976- Offsite 1974-Offsite 1973
Hanover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:10 PM   #794
mrstbalt
Mouseketeer

Sometimes the best times is when something like this comes up. When we did AK a few
years ago. We were not thrilled or really looking fwd to it, but then we ended up being pleasantly surprised..had a fun time. Have to make the most of it. I was a little disappointed at the change...but started doing more research and now looking fwd to it. The water looks beautiful.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:12 PM   #795
wuv tigger
I just want us to all be well
Owned lime green t-shirts BEFORE she found disboards
Dan Murphy's NOT Santa? I'm shocked!...

Is is TOO late to join in??

We had a cruise booked for Jan 2010 but cancelled it.

I just got that infamous pin code email yesterday.

DH & I spent over 40 minutes last night with DCL.

We made the final decision today.

So, can we join in on the fun???

Can we?

Can we??

Last edited by wuv tigger; 10-03-2009 at 01:24 PM.
wuv tigger is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: