Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2009, 08:38 PM   #766
carmie3377
Hi, I'm Carmen and I'm a Disneyholic.

Location: Exactly 983 miles from the Magic Kingdom and 1,541 from Disneyland

We are considering the Baths in Virgin Gorda. I've been doing a little bit of research and have read awesome reviews of it. Some have stated that they walk down to the ferry (just a 15 min walk) then head to The Baths via ferry/taxi and others have rented a car. All review I've read have stated it is very easy to do on your own and that The Baths are incredible.
Aug/03 - 1st Trip DL Aug/04 - FW Cabins 1st trip WDW Jun/05 - WDW offsite Dec/06 - ASMo/OKW & MVMCP Jan/08 - POR BFF trip Sept-Oct/08 - AKV & MNSSHP Dec/09 - Pop*Disney Magic 7 nt Eastern w/ Tortola*Pop again Jan/11 - Disney Wonder 15 nt Panama Canal WB Nov/11 - Cor Spngs w/my honey Dec/11 - AKV Kidani w/ the kids Oct/12 - CR/Poly & MNSSHP Mar/13 - Disney Fantasy 7 nt Eastern w/San Juan May/13 - Disney Magic 6 nt Western w/my honey June/13 - SSR Girls Only Trip Sept/13 - Disneyland Paris w/my honey Oct/13 - BC & MNSSHP w/my honey

carmie3377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:44 PM   #767
Tower
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmie3377 View Post
We are considering the Baths in Virgin Gorda. I've been doing a little bit of research and have read awesome reviews of it. Some have stated that they walk down to the ferry (just a 15 min walk) then head to The Baths via ferry/taxi and others have rented a car. All review I've read have stated it is very easy to do on your own and that The Baths are incredible.
Sounds good to me Carmie! We may follow you there!

Past Disney Visits:
Mar 28-Apr 5, 2004 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Nov 10-16, 2006 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Nov 8-14, 2008 - WDW All Star Movies Resort
Dec 3-12, 2009 - CBR & Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean 7-Day Tour!
Feb 1-10, 2012 - WDW Port Orleans Riverside
Nov 10-17, 2012 - Disney Magic Western Caribbean to Grand Cayman & Cozumel!
Nov 8-15, 2013 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Tower is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-22-2009, 09:01 PM   #768
carmie3377

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower View Post
Sounds good to me Carmie! We may follow you there!
Looks like there will be no need for a taxi unless you want to do additional site seeing after the Baths. From what I'm reading, the taxi fare is included in the ferry fare (around $30/person).

I'm really excited about this change. Nothing jumped out at me about St. Croix but I can't wait for Tortola now!
Aug/03 - 1st Trip DL Aug/04 - FW Cabins 1st trip WDW Jun/05 - WDW offsite Dec/06 - ASMo/OKW & MVMCP Jan/08 - POR BFF trip Sept-Oct/08 - AKV & MNSSHP Dec/09 - Pop*Disney Magic 7 nt Eastern w/ Tortola*Pop again Jan/11 - Disney Wonder 15 nt Panama Canal WB Nov/11 - Cor Spngs w/my honey Dec/11 - AKV Kidani w/ the kids Oct/12 - CR/Poly & MNSSHP Mar/13 - Disney Fantasy 7 nt Eastern w/San Juan May/13 - Disney Magic 6 nt Western w/my honey June/13 - SSR Girls Only Trip Sept/13 - Disneyland Paris w/my honey Oct/13 - BC & MNSSHP w/my honey

Old 09-24-2009, 06:47 AM   #769
Tower
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmie3377 View Post
I'm really excited about this change. Nothing jumped out at me about St. Croix but I can't wait for Tortola now!
It appears that EVERYONE is excited about this change! I love it when changes are actually for the positive!

I am rather concerned that we only found out about this from this board. We booked through DCL online and we received no notification from them at all!!! I'm glad some of you have good TA's that allowed us all to know the good news!

Past Disney Visits:

Last edited by Tower; 09-24-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:25 AM   #770
amyngary
Mouseketeer

Change the Graphic?

I apologize that I can't remember who created the Surfin' graphic for us, but I am wondering if there are plans for modifying it to reflect the Tortola change.

I really like the graphic and was considering using it for an FE gift :-)
Old 09-24-2009, 09:31 AM   #771
carmie3377

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyngary View Post
I apologize that I can't remember who created the Surfin' graphic for us, but I am wondering if there are plans for modifying it to reflect the Tortola change.

I really like the graphic and was considering using it for an FE gift :-)
I think it was mommmyoftwinfants, but I didn't go back to check. If we don't hear from her in a couple of days I'll PM her and ask her if she can change it.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:29 PM   #772
carmie3377

Quote:

I am rather concerned that we only found out about this from this board. We booked through DCL online and we received no notification from them at all!!! I'm glad some of you have good TA's that allowed us all to know the good news!
I know, me too. We had considered renting a car on St. Croix and I was actually researching companies and the rates the night before I read the news on here. I too booked our cruise online and then transferred to DVC and neither of them notified me of the change.

I'm sure they would have eventually sent out something with the change on it but I would think they would do it immediately so people could start making plans.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:04 AM   #773
fluvannaj
Mouseketeer

So glad you posted - our TA hasn't contacted us. I was able to add the Dolphin Swim we've always wanted to do (had it booked in 2005 in Cozumel but hurricane wiped out the terminal).

Fluvanna and Jessica (who are syked about the swim) and Jerry who will watch and take pics!
fluvannaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:42 PM   #774
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

Our travel agent is normally REALLY on the ball. I never heard anythign form her about the change and finally emailed and asked. She says (and because she is normally SO on top of everything) that DCL never told her (just like they did not tell those of you who booked directly through them). SHE was grateful for the information, and after double checking on the DCL sight emailed another client she has on the cruise. Once again the DIS comes to the resue
It IS odd that DCL is so slow about letting everyone know One nice thing, the change means everyone at all levels got to book excursions on Tortolla at the same time--no preferential treatment Okay, well us DISsers may have had an edge over others who still have no idea it changed We snagged a kayak tour but it is early (7:30 in the morning) and I may want to sleep in on my birthday, so I might drop it later on
I have to say, I am not really bothered by the change, but I am the odd one out that I would have prefered St. Croix. We will stop at Tortolla next year on our Trans Atlantic and I would have prefered something different for more variety--but I am not really upset. None the less, if DCL wanted to keep us from being on an overcrowded island I wish they would have pulled us from St. Thomas--I think there are 4 ships scheduled to be in port that day; and I have never much cared for that port. Too bad I am not in charge! But honestly, will be on a DCL cruise so it is all good

I hope you are all having a most excellent weekend.

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:05 PM   #775
CaptainJack
Captain Jack does NOT stop and ask for directions!!!

I just booked this cruise on Tuesday through DVC. When I booked they told me that DCL had changed from St. Croix to Tortolla. I was told that, apparently the facilities for cruise ships at St. Croix and there was supposed to be one or more other ships in port when the Magic was going to be there. Therefore, DCL changed to Totolla for that reason.

I can tell you that on every cruise prior to this year we always had one or more cruise ships at every port. On this last cruise, no other cruise ships were in port at either Totolla or St. Thomas when we were there. And, our server said that it had been like that for several weeks.

Given that we have, in the past, always had one or more other ships in port at the same time we were I cannot understand the rationale to change from St. Croix merely because other cruise ships would be there at the same time.

This will be our 10th Cruise on the Magic

Elizabeth Swann: There will come a time when you'll have the chance to do the right thing.
Jack Sparrow: I love those moments. I love to wave at them as they pass by.

"Complications arose, ensued, were overcome." Captain Jack Sparow
CaptainJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:20 PM   #776
beachbratt
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJack View Post
I just booked this cruise on Tuesday through DVC. When I booked they told me that DCL had changed from St. Croix to Tortolla. I was told that, apparently the facilities for cruise ships at St. Croix and there was supposed to be one or more other ships in port when the Magic was going to be there. Therefore, DCL changed to Totolla for that reason.

I can tell you that on every cruise prior to this year we always had one or more cruise ships at every port. On this last cruise, no other cruise ships were in port at either Totolla or St. Thomas when we were there. And, our server said that it had been like that for several weeks.

Given that we have, in the past, always had one or more other ships in port at the same time we were I cannot understand the rationale to change from St. Croix merely because other cruise ships would be there at the same time.
I am still wondering why the change from St Croix to Tortola. On DCL it states the St Croix is the largest of the USVI so why would one more ship be a problem?? The next day we are go to St Thomas and on one site it shows 4 ships being in port and on another 5 and they have not changed that one...I know they have the right to change at any time it does seem a little strange I see that in August they did not go to Tortola instead a 2x at Castaway Cay so maybe that's why they have changed the last special cruise something to do with there contract with Tortola??

DISNEY WONDER**APRIL 29-MAY 3 2007**
DISNEY WONDER**SEPTEMBER 16-20 2007**
DISNEY MAGIC**SEPTEMBER 27-OCTOBER 4 2008**
DISNEY MAGIC**MAY 23-MAY 30 2009**
DISNEY MAGIC**DEC 05-DEC 12 2009**
DISNEY WONDER**JULY25-JULY30 2010**
CARNIVAL DREAM **DECEMBER 10-17 2011**
DISNEY FANTASY**AUGUST 25-SEPTEMBER 1 2012**
DISNEY DREAM **DEC 6-13 2012** B2B

beachbratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 05:48 PM   #777
Tower
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJack View Post
I'm not sure how the port is set up in St. Croix, but it's not necessarily the size of the island that determines the capacity of the dock, but the size of the port & capacity of the dock to handle more than 1(or 2) ships. While I was never specifically at the port in St. Thomas, I could see the cruise ships from my Holiday Inn Room back in 2006. The dock could easily support 3-4 ships without tendering. St. Croix? I don't know.

Past Disney Visits:
Old 09-26-2009, 05:55 PM   #778
Tower
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHdisneylover View Post
I have to say, I am not really bothered by the change, but I am the odd one out that I would have prefered St. Croix. We will stop at Tortola next year on our Trans Atlantic and I would have prefered something different for more variety--but I am not really upset.
I'm sorry your preference wasn't met on that Hadley. You're such a giving person and upbeat however, I'm sure your positive attitude will shine through and make it wonderful as usual!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHdisneylover View Post
I hope you are all having a most excellent weekend.
Thanks Hadley! Hope you enjoy yours as well

Past Disney Visits:
Old 09-26-2009, 06:50 PM   #779
DeeSanDisneyFan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkmahm View Post
Passporter cruise book says there are no beaches close to the dock.

I checked out the excursions and booked the land and sea tour for us. There was one tour that goes to a luxury resort that sounded really nice if you're a beach person.

We just booked the Land & Sea tour for us, too! Hope to see you there.
DeeSanDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:15 PM   #780
sdlong329
"Life is just a Fantasy!"

Quote:
I'm really sorry for those who wanted to do St. Croix, but I've been there before (as well as St. Thomas) and I wasn't too enthused about St. Croix. It looked awful boring when I was there the first time.
I just received my letter in the mail. TORTOLA may be nice - but I was just there (on Disney Magic). ***! Cancelling a day in port because there will be one more ship in port is assinine! Many people book a cruise for a specific intinerary. If I book a cruise to Hawaii, I do not want to be rerouted to Alaska - just because there is another ship in port.

DCL MAGIC: 4 night Bahamas practice cruise ('99), 7 night Eastern Caribbean ('01), 7 night Western Caribbean ('06), 15 night EB Panama Canal - Inaugural to Aruba & Cartagena (Aug-Sep '08), Eastern Caribbean / Inaugural Tortola (April-May '09), Eastern Caribbean / St. Croix (Ooops - Tortola, again) (Dec '09), 14 night EB TransAtlantic, Florida to Barcelona (April '10), 12 night EB TransAtlantic, Galveston to Barcelona (May '13), 7 night Southern Caribbean, R/T San Juan (Sept/Oct '14), 15 night EB TransAtlantic (Florida to Copenhagen) (May '15)
DCL WONDER: 4 night Bahamas practice cruise (April '08), LA - Vancouver REPO (Apr/May '11), -B2B- Inaugural Alaska (May '11)
DCL FANTASY: 7 night Maiden Voyage: Western Caribbean (March '12), 7 night podCast 4.0 Western Caribbean (Dec '12), 7 night San Juan/Western Caribbean (Apr '15)
DISapalooza: WWOHP / Universal (Dec '12)
DISNEY ON BROADWAY: Mary Poppins @ New Amsterdam Theatre - 2012, Spiderman (Marvel) @ Foxwoods Theatre - 2012, The Lion King @ Minskoff Theatre - 2013, Aladdin @ New Amsterdam Theatre - 2014
NON-DCL: RCCL Freedom FROM the Seas, Western Caribbean, Jan 2014; Celebrity Horizon, 7 night Philadelphia - Bermuda; HAL Noordam, 10 night NYC - Caribbean; Princess, 7 night FL-Caribbean; Carnival (don't waste my time)
sdlong329 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: