Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2009, 04:21 PM   #226
carmie3377
Hi, I'm Carmen and I'm a Disneyholic.

Location: Exactly 983 miles from the Magic Kingdom and 1,541 from Disneyland

As far as I know, there isn't a list yet, but perhaps a new thread might work for the FEs. Since I've never done an FE, I wouldn't feel comfortable coordinating the whole thing but I will help out any way I can.

We've never been able to take advantage of free dining but have bought the DP on 2 our last trips and really liked it. I can just imagine how much more I'd like it if I didn't have to pay for it! We went last year during free dining, but since we own DVC and were staying on points, we didn't qualify. This year, I'll be paying cash so I'm looking out far any and all promotions.

So, where did you live prior to moving to Germany. I'm guessing from your user name that you lived in New Hampshire?
Aug/03 - 1st Trip DL Aug/04 - FW Cabins 1st trip WDW Jun/05 - WDW offsite Dec/06 - ASMo/OKW & MVMCP Jan/08 - POR BFF trip Sept-Oct/08 - AKV & MNSSHP Dec/09 - Pop*Disney Magic 7 nt Eastern w/ Tortola*Pop again Jan/11 - Disney Wonder 15 nt Panama Canal WB Nov/11 - Cor Spngs w/my honey Dec/11 - AKV Kidani w/ the kids Oct/12 - CR/Poly & MNSSHP Mar/13 - Disney Fantasy 7 nt Eastern w/San Juan May/13 - Disney Magic 6 nt Western w/my honey June/13 - SSR Girls Only Trip Sept/13 - Disneyland Paris w/my honey Oct/13 - BC & MNSSHP w/my honey

carmie3377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:33 PM   #227
George Rada

Hi Hadley - this Sean's Mom - just wanted to say thank you for being so thoughtful and setting up the kid's page! I think it is a great way for the kids to continue to get excited about this vacation of a lifetime!
George Rada is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-25-2009, 04:42 PM   #228
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmie3377 View Post
As far as I know, there isn't a list yet, but perhaps a new thread might work for the FEs. Since I've never done an FE, I wouldn't feel comfortable coordinating the whole thing but I will help out any way I can.

We've never been able to take advantage of free dining but have bought the DP on 2 our last trips and really liked it. I can just imagine how much more I'd like it if I didn't have to pay for it! We went last year during free dining, but since we own DVC and were staying on points, we didn't qualify. This year, I'll be paying cash so I'm looking out far any and all promotions.

So, where did you live prior to moving to Germany. I'm guessing from your user name that you lived in New Hampshire?
I don't think we are allowed to set up thread just for FE lists. I have only seen regular threads and kids' threads on the meets. But I don't really know. What I have usually seen is someone sets up a website for the group and the list goes there. I have NO idea how to set up a website (just navigating my way around the DIS takes all my technical savvy) I have also seen the list just cut and pasted into one specific post on the thread that gets updates periodically. But I have kept lists for lanyards before (those aren't published, just sent to the person ordering lanyards on cruises where folks are hyper organized and get tehse things done--me I am not even slightly organized)

Oh, and your deductive reasoning skills are great! We were indeed in New Hampshire for the past four years. It is a lovely palce and I do miss it (but I love it here in Heidelberg as well)
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Rada View Post
Hi Hadley - this Sean's Mom - just wanted to say thank you for being so thoughtful and setting up the kid's page! I think it is a great way for the kids to continue to get excited about this vacation of a lifetime!
Nice to meet you Sean's mom You're welcome, I am happy the kids are getting to know one another--I hope everyone knows any and all kids sailing are welcome to join in. Marika met one of her best friends on the ship and this is the first time since they met that we are not sailing with her family so it is great for her to get to know more people.

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:20 PM   #229
Inkmahm
Disney nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHdisneylover View Post

Who is your favourite Disney character?

Our answers are:
Me--Mary Poppins
DH (Dave)--Milo Thatch
DD (Marika)--Belle
DS (Rio)--Peter Pan, Mickey Mouse and Jim Hawkins

Me- A toss up between Cinderella and Tinkerbell, I'd have to give the edge to Tinkerbell

DH- Bruno (the dog from Cinderella)

Inkmahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:51 AM   #230
mrstbalt
Mouseketeer

Hi Hadley, thanks for setting up the kids page. This is Jen, Samantha and Alyia's mom. I will be typing for the girls but they will dictate to me. 8 1/2 months seems so far away, we have been planning this since January 2007. I am just waiting for the new Passporter cruise guide to come out. It will be a small fix..it's like an addiction.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:57 AM   #231
NHdisneylover

hey everyone--I am enjoying seeing those characters. I think Captain Jack is the favourite so far

Hi Jenn, I am glad the girls are joining in on the kids' thread For us, this cruise seems fairly close. We also have a September 2010 cruise booked which we booked back in October, so by comparison this is comming up quickly

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

Old 03-26-2009, 11:43 AM   #232
George Rada

Hi Hadley, it's George. I also wanted to say thanks for starting a thread for the kids, because that's what the cruise is really all about. Sean has been like a kid on christmas day ever since we told him about booking the cruise again. It's going to be a long 8.5 months. He is so excited to be able to talk with Marika and Rio. He comes home from school everyday and has to get right on the computer to see if she wrote back. I think it's great that they meet each other (in a cyber way) before getting on the ship, I'm sure they will have lots of fun together!

You also posed a great question to get this thread moving.

Myself and Sean: Captain Jack
George III: Will Turner
Kath: Undecided (I asked her while she was watching "Survivor", so that may have something to do with her answer)

So how is the weather in Germany. I was stationed there in the north near Bremen when I was in the Army (back when it was east and west Germany). I really enjoyed it, when I wasn't freezing my butt off out in the field!
Old 03-26-2009, 12:14 PM   #233
NHdisneylover

So Captain Jack pulls further into the leadDoesn't Sean have a favourite character??? I am guessing George III is your older son??

Weather in Germany right now is cold (about 2 degrees) and raining. It is supposed to be that way all next week and Marika has a class trip (which I am chaperoning) with all out of door activities planned. I am sooo not looking forward to freezing all week Rio's calss trip is in June (I think his teacher is smarter)

We are headed up to Wolfsburg tomorrow to pick up Dave's car from the VW plant (and tour the whole autostadt car amusement park thing--this apparently soudns very interesting to a guy)--I will have to check a map and see if it is close to Bremen (we have only been here 6 weeks I am still getting oriented).

Old 03-26-2009, 03:13 PM   #234
George Rada

Hi Hadley,

Sean is a Captain Jack fan also, your right he's in the lead! I remember the German winter's and I don't miss them at all. Being an infantryman I got to spend lots of time outside in those winter's. I had never seen snow that deep before.

One quick question. What is a fish extender?

Yes George III is my older son. He is 13 now and will be 14 by the sail date.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:29 PM   #235
George Rada

Hi Carmen,

It's George, I saw your post about staying in Disney either before or after the cruise. I would suggest staying the week before. On our first Disney cruise we did the 4 night Bahamas and got off the ship on a Thursday. We decided to stay the night at the Contemporary Resort and do the Magic Kingdom with the kids before driving home to Maryland. When we were on the ship I felt like being in a 5 star hotel and when we got to the resort it felt like checking into a Holiday Inn.

Another reason to consider is that you'll be in Florida and won't miss the ship sailing. We almost missed our second Disney cruise because my older son paniced so bad when we boarded the plane in DC, that we had to get off and wound up driving through the night to get to Port Canaveral and onto the ship.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:37 PM   #236
NHdisneylover

Hi George,
Thanks for clearing up who is who
Fish extenders are little hanging fabric pockets that pepole hang from the metal fish next to the door in the hallway. Other DISsers bring small trinkets (candy, homemade bookmarks or magnets, pens, all kinds of cool stuff) and leave it in the FEs as fun little surprises throughout the cruise. It is a balst to check the FE pockets and find new surprises. On our Double Dip last September there were TONS of DISsers on board. We would find treats on the way into the room, take then in, change clothes head out 15 minutes later and more treats would have already been delivered
Here is an entire thread about them (with photos because I am sure you cannot visualize what I am talking about):
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1219607

Oh, Southern German winters are not nearly as snowy or cold as New Hampshire was, but in New Hampshire I did not spend nearly as much time outside when the weather was bad (here we have only one car so I am msotly on foot/tram). Today is was just above freezing and raining hard--not a fun walk home from the grocery store

Old 03-26-2009, 07:41 PM   #237
Tower
DIS Veteran

Hi All,

Going back to the idea of flying in a few days/a week early. You've now convinced me (and I'm working on my DW) to fly in a couple of days early anyway. Based upon our group of 6 including my mom, the Fort Wilderness Cabins appears to be the best deal.

Has anyone stayed at the cabins? The option we're considering is to fly in on Thursday, arrive noonish, spend the day at the resort. Spend Friday at the Magic Kingdom or Animal Kingdom (or split depending upon preferences) and then head over to the ship on Saturday. We wouldn't get the meal plan as we'll eat enough on the ship anyway.

Any recommendations? Is that a good idea?

Past Disney Visits:
Mar 28-Apr 5, 2004 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Nov 10-16, 2006 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Nov 8-14, 2008 - WDW All Star Movies Resort
Dec 3-12, 2009 - CBR & Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean 7-Day Tour!
Feb 1-10, 2012 - WDW Port Orleans Riverside
Nov 10-17, 2012 - Disney Magic Western Caribbean to Grand Cayman & Cozumel!
Nov 8-15, 2013 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:00 PM   #238
Inkmahm
Disney nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower View Post
Hi All,

Going back to the idea of flying in a few days/a week early. You've now convinced me (and I'm working on my DW) to fly in a couple of days early anyway. Based upon our group of 6 including my mom, the Fort Wilderness Cabins appears to be the best deal.

Has anyone stayed at the cabins? The option we're considering is to fly in on Thursday, arrive noonish, spend the day at the resort. Spend Friday at the Magic Kingdom or Animal Kingdom (or split depending upon preferences) and then head over to the ship on Saturday. We wouldn't get the meal plan as we'll eat enough on the ship anyway.

It's been 10 years since I stayed in the cabins but I can tell you the sleeping arrangements to see if they work for you. There is a double bed and a set of bunk beds in the bedroom and a fold down Murphy double bed in the living room. We did it with 3 adults and 3 small children so we were fine.

Inkmahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:17 AM   #239
carmie3377
Hi, I'm Carmen and I'm a Disneyholic.

Location: Exactly 983 miles from the Magic Kingdom and 1,541 from Disneyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower View Post
Hi All,

We stayed in the cabins on our first trip to WDW in 2004. We really enjoyed it. The sleeping arrangements were as Inkmahm stated and I would think they are still the same. There is also a full kitchen and a deck with a grill.

The resort area is a lot of fun. They have ponies the kids can ride, a little petting zoo and canoe rentals (I think there are other rentals too such as bikes). There is also a campground singalong with Chip and Dale. At the singalong, you can roast marshmallows, meet the characters and then watch a movie under the stars. We enjoyed it!

Have fun!
Aug/03 - 1st Trip DL Aug/04 - FW Cabins 1st trip WDW Jun/05 - WDW offsite Dec/06 - ASMo/OKW & MVMCP Jan/08 - POR BFF trip Sept-Oct/08 - AKV & MNSSHP Dec/09 - Pop*Disney Magic 7 nt Eastern w/ Tortola*Pop again Jan/11 - Disney Wonder 15 nt Panama Canal WB Nov/11 - Cor Spngs w/my honey Dec/11 - AKV Kidani w/ the kids Oct/12 - CR/Poly & MNSSHP Mar/13 - Disney Fantasy 7 nt Eastern w/San Juan May/13 - Disney Magic 6 nt Western w/my honey June/13 - SSR Girls Only Trip Sept/13 - Disneyland Paris w/my honey Oct/13 - BC & MNSSHP w/my honey

carmie3377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:50 AM   #240
Tower
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmie3377 View Post
We stayed in the cabins on our first trip to WDW in 2004. We really enjoyed it. The sleeping arrangements were as Inkmahm stated and I would think they are still the same. There is also a full kitchen and a deck with a grill.

The resort area is a lot of fun. They have ponies the kids can ride, a little petting zoo and canoe rentals (I think there are other rentals too such as bikes). There is also a campground singalong with Chip and Dale. At the singalong, you can roast marshmallows, meet the characters and then watch a movie under the stars. We enjoyed it!

Have fun!
Thanks Carmie and Inkmahm! I think we'll be booking today. Grandma's looking forward to a return to Disney after a 26 year absence!

Past Disney Visits:
Mar 28-Apr 5, 2004 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Nov 10-16, 2006 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Nov 8-14, 2008 - WDW All Star Movies Resort
Dec 3-12, 2009 - CBR & Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean 7-Day Tour!
Feb 1-10, 2012 - WDW Port Orleans Riverside
Nov 10-17, 2012 - Disney Magic Western Caribbean to Grand Cayman & Cozumel!
Nov 8-15, 2013 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Tower is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: