Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2008, 08:53 AM   #121
Nik's Mom
Karl Pilkington is a genius

Hi all,
It looks like we will be postponing our cruise. Our youngest ds missed the first 2 1/2 weeks of school already this year. He is finally in school now, but we don't want him to miss any days unless he is ill.

I don't even know when we will cruise. I'll have to wait until they release 2010dates. To soften the blow, dh says we can go to WDW in March when the kids have their spring break!

Hope you all have a great time on the cruise though!

Proud Mom to 2 boys, and wife to a great husband!
Nik's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:47 PM   #122
mother_hen
Mouseketeer

oh no, Sherri! That's such a shame! I'm sorry he's been sick.
Have a great time at Disney at Spring Break and enjoy your next cruise.
mother_hen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-09-2008, 02:36 PM   #123
starlawyermom
Earning My Ears

Welcome to our new members and sorry to see one of our more active ones go Sherri, hope ds gets better soon and has a better year ahead. School year for my two is in full swing - with soccer and other activities, we are running in a thousand different directions - no different than anyone else I suppose. Indigo, we are in a Cat 10 inside stateroom on deck 7 as well - care to share your room number? I am not too worried about the choice (since this is a gift from my mother-in-law, can't complaint). Sleeping and changing is all we will most likely be doing there - while a veranda or pothole would be nice, I think we will be fine!
Hope to hear more from everyone in the weeks to come.

starlawyermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:19 PM   #124
mother_hen
Mouseketeer

Has anyone planned out their excursions yet?
What are you planning to do? There are so many awesome choices, it's hard to decide!
Old 09-10-2008, 05:02 PM   #125
Hudson5&Lennon3
Go Huskers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik's Mom View Post
It looks like we will be postponing our cruise.
Awwwwww...Sherri!! I'm so sorry!!! I was really looking forward to meeting you! I've been thinking about you a lot because I've been in KC & the OP area so much lately (and will be next month, too). If I didn't have such a tight schedule every time I was/will be there, I was going to see if you wanted to meet up somewhere. Hopefully the trip to WDW will make the wait until 2010 go a little faster. I hope your DS is doing better now and stays healthy the rest of the school year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother_hen View Post
Hi All!
We just booked our cruise and couldn't be more thrilled!
to our cruise thread!!! We are thrilled to have you! It's a GREAT way to spend an anniversary! If you can get Palo reservations on your actual anniversary, that makes it even more special. That's how we did it last year, and it's something we will NEVER forget!

I have you all updated on post #1.

Quote:
if we do late dining, do we miss the shows?
Like Jane said, the shows are twice a night--early dining = second show time, late dining = first show time. On our last cruise, we had late dining, so we did the shows first, but we now know that we don't have to dress for dinner to go to the shows if we don't want to. We thought we had to get cleaned up and put on our dinner clothes before the show, but actually, there's enough time between the shows and the time late dining starts to do that. We ended up quitting our fun afternoon activities early enough to get ready, but we didn't need to (it wasn't until our cruise ended that we realized that!). Our kids were so tired by suppertime that they slept through it almost every night, but believe me, they didn't go hungry! They had usually just had chicken tenders or pizza or tacos or ice cream or room service cheese & crackers or all of the above just shortly before that, so we actually got some nice dinners with just Justin & me as the kids slept at the table (we had a table for 4 so no dinner mates). Right now, we have early dining for this cruise, but we only did that because it's easier to change to late than it is to change to early. In case for some reason we decide that early would be better for us, we already have it. I'm thinking we'll change, though.

Quote:
I've read through the posts - it's been fun hearing what everyone else is planning to do. I see I have a lot of work to do researching and planning before we go
I do, too!! I haven't been on the boards for sooooo long! I feel so guilty! And out of touch with DCL! (Gasp!) I really need to do some catching up, especially since the repos are done and the ships are back to their regular schedules now. I hope there haven't been too many changes since I've been away...

Now we need some regular posts happening to make me come here on a regular basis!

Hudson 5 & Lennon 3 (currently Hudson8&Lennon6)

Western Magic 04-21-07 (10th Anniversary cruise)
Western Magic 05-16-09
Hudson5&Lennon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:17 PM   #126
Hudson5&Lennon3
Go Huskers!

Quote:
What are you planning to do? There are so many awesome choices, it's hard to decide!
Our plans aren't too extravagant. Here's what we're thinking so far:

KW = we'll probably rent an electric car for the day...and get a chocolate-dipped key lime pie on a stick as we get off the ship AND as we get back on--they're THAT good!!!

GC = probably enjoy an empty ship.

Coz = probably enjoy an empty ship. If we do anything, it might be the Dolphin Discovery (I can't remember the age requirement for that, though). I would really like to do the Xcaret, but it seems so awesome that I would want to spend much more time there...maybe on a separate trip to Cancun someday.

CC = RELAX IN PARADISE! Maybe do the stingrays.

Last time, we really felt that we enjoyed the ship much more than doing all the excursions--besides, that's what we paid for! This time, I think we're going to just play it by ear or decide as it gets closer. I know most other people don't feel this way, so someone else might have better ideas to get you thinking about what to do. I would definitely get a Passporter, though! It really is all the info you will ever need! Well, besides the DIS, of course...but the book is portable!

I'm curious to hear other people's plans, too!

Western Magic 05-16-09
Old 09-10-2008, 08:22 PM   #127
mother_hen
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the warm welcome and the info, Val! And thanks for updating our info. Love the photos - The KLPie on a stick looks *to die for*! I can't wait!

Getting really excited about this cruise. I ordered my Passporter from Amazon yesterday, so it should be here tomorrow. I see they have a new one (2009 version) coming out in the spring, too.

MY DH is laughing that I'm making a full-time job out of the cruise planning. Tonight at dinner he's all... I thought this was supposed to be fun and relaxing?! What can I say? I like to be prepared and know what to expect
Looks like we have a while before we have to pull the trigger on excursion plans - the site says we can't make ressies until 75 days before the cruise. I should be able to make a decision by then
Old 09-10-2008, 10:22 PM   #128
indigodisney
Mouseketeer

Great to see everyone on here again!

We did decide to go with the inside stateroom on deck 7 and my parents decided to come as well to celebrate my daughter's 6th birthday.

StarLawyermom, I think room 7067 - I read the review and it said it was very very quiet, sounds good to me. I think I will miss the verandah but I am glad to have the $1400 difference or whatever it is.

Things are always crazy at this back to school time - we are on the 4 day Wonder to try everything out in December - has anyone done that trip before?

What about this excitement about the Baltic for 2010? Anyone interested in that? I might have to rob a bank...

Welcome Motherhen!! And HudsonLennon, thank you - I have to say that I have heard about the key lime pie on the stick and did not know what it would look like - wow, it looks good!!!
Old 09-11-2008, 09:04 AM   #129
Hudson5&Lennon3
Go Huskers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigodisney View Post
my parents decided to come as well to celebrate my daughter's 6th birthday.
How exciting! My parents are coming with us, too! I think there will be quite a few groups with extended family on our cruise.

Quote:
The KLPie on a stick looks *to die for*! I can't wait!
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigodisney View Post
And HudsonLennon, thank you - I have to say that I have heard about the key lime pie on the stick and did not know what it would look like - wow, it looks good!!!
Here's my attempt at a map for where the closest KLP on a stick is located. It's literally around the corner from the dock.

BOAT
|
|
|-------|
It's hereX

There are a few shops located along the ------ area, but as soon as you turn the corner, there it is! It's just an ice cream shop that had a sign on the door for the KLP.

I know there are other places around KW that have them, too, but this was the one where we stopped...and will stop again (a couple times!) this time. Justin was the one that wanted to try it, so he forced it on me. I had heard all about it on the DIS beforehand, but it was totally not what I was expecting! I thought it would be more like lemon meringue-ish, but it's like cheesecake! YUM! I CAN'T WAIT! (Actually, the KLP is one of the main reasons I wanted to do the Western again!)

Western Magic 05-16-09
Old 09-11-2008, 09:31 AM   #130
2_Eagle_Mom
Kungaloosh!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik's Mom View Post
Hi all,
It looks like we will be postponing our cruise. Our youngest ds missed the first 2 1/2 weeks of school already this year. He is finally in school now, but we don't want him to miss any days unless he is ill.

I don't even know when we will cruise. I'll have to wait until they release 2010dates. To soften the blow, dh says we can go to WDW in March when the kids have their spring break!

Hope you all have a great time on the cruise though!
I'm glad to hear that your DS has recovered. I can only imagine how difficult those couple of weeks had to be for you. Spring break is a great time to be going to WDW. Not quite what you were hopping for, but still you should have a good time. We'll miss meeting you.

Quote:
I've read all the descriptions and have highlighted a couple that sound interesting, but I'm having a hard time deciding if we want to just relax on the ship or try and do something on our own or do an actual excursion (so many choices!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson5&Lennon3 View Post
(Actually, the KLP is one of the main reasons I wanted to do the Western again!)[/SIZE]
Ok, knew I liked you from your posts before, but this just seals the deal. ANYONE that would pick a cruise because of cheesecake has got to be a relative of mine. Cheesecake is one of my "red light foods" meaning if it is around I'll be having some (and d@mn the diet). I've read about, and lusted after, the frozen chocolate dipped key lime pie, and now I have directions on where to get one. Want to find me in Key West? Check out that shop!

Maybe instead of excursions I should plan how much time it will take on the treadmill to negate the pie? Too bad the fridge in the rooms don't have freezers. Mine would be stuffed.

2_Eagle_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:53 AM   #131
Hudson5&Lennon3
Go Huskers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_Eagle_Mom View Post
Ok, knew I liked you from your posts before, but this just seals the deal. ANYONE that would pick a cruise because of cheesecake has got to be a relative of mine. Cheesecake is one of my "red light foods" meaning if it is around I'll be having some (and d@mn the diet). I've read about, and lusted after, the frozen chocolate dipped key lime pie, and now I have directions on where to get one. Want to find me in Key West? Check out that shop!

Maybe instead of excursions I should plan how much time it will take on the treadmill to negate the pie? Too bad the fridge in the rooms don't have freezers. Mine would be stuffed.

How funny that you say that! My last cruise thread had a handful of us saying that we were all sisters separated as young children (and our husbands were all brothers, too!) because we all had so much in common!

I would be perfectly happy if I spent all day in KW at that shop! Maybe we should make it a "DIS meet" for anyone else that wants to endulge together! Luckily, it's close enough to the ship that we could have a KLP and then go back to the ship for some treadmill time, then another KLP, and more treadmill, KLP, treadmill, KLP, treadmill...

I know this isn't the same shop, but check out the prices on these to have them shipped to you! Ouch! http://www.keylimeshop.com/html/key_lime_pie.html (Yes, I looked as soon as we got back home last time because I was already craving them!) At $5 each (and worth EVERY penny of it!), just think how much you would save if you really could stuff the room fridge with them to bring home. Mine would probably be gone by the time we got to GC, though. "Excuse me, Mr. Cap'n. Can we turn around and go back to KW. I'm needing a KLP fix. NOW!!!"

Western Magic 05-16-09
Old 09-11-2008, 10:07 AM   #132
2_Eagle_Mom
Kungaloosh!!

I think a Dis Meet at the FKL shop is a definate! Maybe we can petition the captain to let us have a small section of the kitchen freezers to store our supply.

Maybe we could do a FKL tour. Didn't you say that there were lots of shops that sell them? I think that calls for a taste testing tour to me!

Has anyone thought about creating a custom design for their trip? I was checking out the DISign boards, but its kind of overwhelming.

Ok, got to go and pack for DL. We are leaving at 2:00pm and I've barely packed anything.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:14 AM   #133
Hudson5&Lennon3
Go Huskers!

Quote:
I think a Dis Meet at the FKL shop is a definate! Maybe we can petition the captain to let us have a small section of the kitchen freezers to store our supply.

Quote:
Maybe we could do a FKL tour. Didn't you say that there were lots of shops that sell them? I think that calls for a taste testing tour to me!
Oooooh!!! Good idea!!! Then we could get some exercise in, too, by walking to all of them!

Quote:
Ok, got to go and pack for DL. We are leaving at 2:00pm and I've barely packed anything.
Have a GREAT time with the girls!!! Tell us all about it when you get back! BTW, how far away from DL are you?

Western Magic 05-16-09
Old 09-11-2008, 11:01 AM   #134
2_Eagle_Mom
Kungaloosh!!

According to Google Maps we are 398 miles to Disneyland. It should take us about 8 hours to drive (including a dinner break) depending on traffic. I've decided to track my miles on the eliptical machine and "walk my way to Disneyland" and hopefully lose some inches (and hopefully a couple of dress sizes) before the cruise.

Finally all packed (the benefit of traveling a lot for work, I can pack for a weekend in about 30 minutes) now I have time to and let the destressing begin. What is great is that one of the ladies has never been to DL before so we get to show her everything and experience it through new eyes.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:54 PM   #135
mother_hen
Mouseketeer

I'm sitting here giggling!
Sign me up for the FKL Tour. I think that's the best excursion I've read about yet! I can see us all with clipboards in hand, *rating* the various shops as we eat our weight in FKLP! hee! "Hmmm... I'm not sure about this one... let me try another so I can rate it properly!"

I definitely think we need a FKLP meet-up.
We also need a door magnet that says "I only took this cruise for the FKLP"

Have a great time with the girls, Jane!
I'm going to WDW in January on a girlfriends' trip. Looking forward to hearing how your trip went!
Good luck with your walking goal! That's an awesome idea!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: