Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2008, 05:01 PM   #91
Hudson5&Lennon3
Go Huskers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_Eagle_Mom View Post
Our actual anniversary will be on May 12 while we are at WDW, but we told the ressie agent that we would be "celebrating" the anniversary on Tuesday, May 19 - Day 4 which by just thumbing through the book looks like Master Chef/casual Attire (have no idea what that means).
Sorry Jane! After I posted, I remembered that you said your anniversary would be at WDW instead of on the cruise. So do you have any plans made yet for that magical day at WDW?

And as I was typing before, I didn't think Master Chef sounded right for the menu we missed for Palo, but I couldn't think of what the others were! You're right...MC is on Tuesday, and Thursday is Captain's Gala (aka "lobster night"--but DH still got lobster at Palo). Those are just the "themes" for the menu each night and what the recommended "dress code" is for dinner. For the first three nights, each restaurant serves their own menu, and you'll rotate through those once each. Then after that, you'll still rotate restaurants, but all the menus are the same.

It sounds like your DS had a great night last night! What a neat way to volunteer with something he's also passionate about.

Enjoy the book! It's just as addicting as the DIS!!!

Hudson 5 & Lennon 3 (currently Hudson8&Lennon6)

Western Magic 04-21-07 (10th Anniversary cruise)
Western Magic 05-16-09
Hudson5&Lennon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:20 PM   #92
Nik's Mom
Karl Pilkington is a genius

Welcome to 2_Eagle_Mom!,
We're glad that you are joining us. Wow, what a small world. We have 2 autistic sons. We just moved from California 2 months ago. It's been a struggle to get the kids adjusted, so I haven't been posting too much. Today we were in Target and they were already setting up the back-to-school supplies. I can't believe it!

Proud Mom to 2 boys, and wife to a great husband!
Nik's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-06-2008, 04:25 PM   #93
2_Eagle_Mom
Kungaloosh!!

Hi Niks Mom,

Thanks for the welcome! I read that you had recently moved and you have two special boys. I can only imagine how challenging it can be to have a huge change in your life and then add the stress of getting your boys settled. Hopefully buy the time school is ready to start your boys will be prepared for the new adventure.

I just finished my first read of the Passporter book. It did answer a lot of my questions about dinner rotations, dress, etc. Now we just have to decide if we want to do any of the excursions. My DH knows someone (he met them on Second Life) that lives in Key West so we will probably just do a walking tour and check out some of the local sites. I think I'm going to do some more research on the boards to see what the reviews are for the excursions.

For our actual anniversary at WDW I want to do something special. I'm thinking of doing dinner at either Rose & Crown, California Grill or Narcooses (sp?) so we can see the shows from the restaurant. I would love to do a specialty cruise (we both LOVE Illuminations) but since I'm on the West Coast I would need to call the reservation number at 3:55AM! . I also just read about the carriage rides at POFQ that sound very romantic.

I feel like I should get everything all planned quickly, and then I realize we have 10 months before the trip and I should calm down. My DH is used to me getting all ramped up and finds ways to bring me back to reality. I asked him if he was planning on just doing carry on for the trip and he said "well since I have almost a year to think about it I'll probably decide sometime after Christmas". Well ok, if you want to wait that long....

Planning is ingrained into me. I'm a meeting planner for a corporation and we normally plan things well over a year in advance. I have a couple of programs planned for January and April that may take a lot of overtime and if I can get stuff nailed down early then I won't have to worry about our vacation.

Well back to the boards and reading trip reports!

2_Eagle_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:00 PM   #94
starlawyermom
Earning My Ears

Welcome new members. I have been very busy at work, so have not had any extra time these days to keep up with this - and nights seem impossible to get on-line. My kids are in a day camp just up the street from my office, so my nights have been filled with rinsing out bathing suits, washing towels and wet/dirty clothes and making lunch for the next day. My mother-in-law (who will be cruising with us) bought me the passporter book several months ago and I have read it from cover to cover about 5 times, no lie! We were party hoppers for the 4th long weekend and even hosted some people (nowhere near 60!) for a cook-out on Saturday night. My DH took Thursday off (a rare occasion) and we spent the day at our pool club. Weather up here has been hot (but I am sure nothing compared to the weather some of you have all the time) and we New Englanders like to complain about the weather!!! Sadly, the summer is flying by - the only good thing is that with every passing day, the cruise gets closer. I am thinking we need to look into flights to FL soon - but the cost is so high, it is insane. My husband's company has even banned intercompany travel - good because he is not on the West Coast every other week, but bad because he is taking conference calls at 9pm east coast time
Will people be decorating their stateroom doors? Based on other threads I have read, this seems to be a huge thing. I actually started creating "picture card" that I think I will bring along and use. I have been downloading disney photos from the internet and pasting them into a 8 1/2 x 11 document on my computer. I plan on printing them on a color printer and attaching them to the door with magnetic tape. I thought that for each "picture card" I would do a theme., ie., "Nemo" or "Disney Princesses", and other movies. What about these "Fish Extender" thingamajigs? Any insight would be helpful.....

Take Care and be well.

starlawyermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:07 PM   #95
Hudson5&Lennon3
Go Huskers!

I put up a few things on our door last time. When I get done working and go back upstairs, I'll post a picture. Actually, we have a few of them scattered througout the house still. I made one for DH that hangs on the door in the garage as you come into the house. I also had an anniversary one that still hangs on our fridge. The others are tucked away nicely for the next cruise. I'm thinking I'll reuse most of them. I still have a large stash of LGMH (thanks to Home Depot! ), so if the old ones get bent up or ruined, I can always make new ones. I don't know if I would say it's a "huge" thing, though. Some people just make a big deal about it. Personally, we really didn't see too many doors decorated--other than some of the DIS'ers we met here and onboard (someone went around and put special ones on the doors for those celebrating birthdays or anniversaries). I expected to see a lot more, though, but I'm sure some cruises have more than ours did. I did it as a surprise to DH & the boys. I knew DH wouldn't want to do it if I told him about it beforehand (and he even admitted that he would've not wanted it), but he said it was neat after I surprised them with the magnets. Our door wasn't too hard to find anyway just becuase of where it's at (in the corner of deck 5 forward--next to SPH), but it helped the boys out to find their way when they got a little ahead of us. And I can see how it would really be needed if you're in the long hallways with door after door after door. We've got the same room but on the opposite side of the ship this time. Who knows, though. Maybe the magnets were there but I just didn't see them since we weren't really ever on decks 1, 2, 6, 7, or 8.

I think the "theme" idea sounds cool! Instead of magnet paper or tape, I just used 3M MagnaTabs on laminated paper. Then you can peel them off and reuse them.

I've seen pictures of the FE but didn't see any in person last time. I think they're mostly for those DIS groups that give gifts (we didn't last time) because we only got one thing hung on the fish the entire week, and that was a brochure from the art auction people after we checked out their stuff.

Have any other repeat cruisers done door magnets or FE?

Western Magic 05-16-09
Old 07-10-2008, 12:53 AM   #96
2_Eagle_Mom
Kungaloosh!!

[quote=Hudson5&Lennon3;26129014]I still have a large stash of LGMH (thanks to Home Depot! )

Ok, first of all, not quite sure how everyone does the quote thing, hopefully I've figured it out. Since I'm a newbie (just hit 10 posts ) It takes me a while to figure out the shorthand codes. I can pretty much figure out the rides and restaurants, but LGMH is beyond me. I've been reading TR (see I figured that one out) and you are right some people go WAY overboard on the door decorations. Since I'm pretty sure we will be traveling really light (carry on only?) I don't think I'll be doing the FE (OMG now I'm doing it)! But I did think about putting up a couple of pictures and an anniversary sign. By the look of the ship layout I don't think we will be getting a lot of foot traffic near our cabin, but it should make it a little more decorative. I just wish I had some graphic design skills.

StarLawerMom I agree with you about the summer. It just feels like it started and I can't believe we are basically 1/2 way through. My kids are long out of the summer day camp experience (but I really miss those days now). We are finally going to visit our youngest DS this weekend. He's working at Scout camp as staff and we waited almost a month! I can't believe how much I've missed him. This past year he's really matured and has gone past the teenage grumps and will actually sit and have a deep conversation about life topics (loved this one "Mom, how do you teach kids not to be spoiled") a nice long discussion was had. Made me want to cry...

Anyway, back to vacation planning. I purchased our airline tickets last week. Since we are flying across country and I doubt prices are going to drop that much we picked the best route and bought the tickets at twice the price we've normally had to pay. The way I figure it, by the time the trip comes around the tickets will have been paid off for quite some time and it won't hurt so much next year. Also, we were able to get seats in row 5 of every single flight so we won't have to remember different row numbers for each flight (and nice and close to the front for easy departure). I just have to NOT look at the airline sites so if the flights do drop I won't get depressed.

My question this evening is how "themed" are you thinking of going for the Pirate night?

2_Eagle_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:36 AM   #97
Nik's Mom

Oh, we went all out on our 4 night cruise in May 07. Here are our sons. They got a lot of attention because they were the only kids in costume.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:42 PM   #98
Hudson5&Lennon3
Go Huskers!

Quote:
Ok, first of all, not quite sure how everyone does the quote thing, hopefully I've figured it out.
You just need to make sure the brackets that say "quote" are at the beginning and end of the quote (just like you need IMG in brackets for posting photos). You can delete as much of the quote as you want in between the brackets (like I did here--I didn't quote your whole message), and you can also do another quote from the same post (like I did below by splitting your quote), but it has to have the same info in brackets at the start of the quote--who it's from and the posting number. You can either manually retype it or copy & paste.
Quote:
LGMH is beyond me.
Lime Green Mickey Head--the "official" symbol of the DIS. If you go to the paint dept at Home Depot and get some samples of the Disney paint in the lime green, you'll have some LGMH to do whatever you want to with them. I'll post my door picture, and you can see what I did with them.
Quote:
By the look of the ship layout I don't think we will be getting a lot of foot traffic near our cabin, but it should make it a little more decorative. I just wish I had some graphic design skills.
Ours wasn't a high traffic area either, but we did have a couple families notice our "Huskers" magnet and said they were from Nebraska, too, so apparently people did actually look at them. Sometimes they were a little out of place from where I put them, but they were never stolen. The non-personalized ones had our room # & name on the back. For a couple of mine, I had Kristine do them up for us. She has a thread on the main board where you can request her to do something specific for you. I chose to have her made Aladdin & Jasmine on the magic carpet inside a Mickey head (we had "A Whole New World" playing during our slide show at our wedding) with our names and wedding date in the ears. Kristine does an awesome job! And for free, too! Here's her new thread. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1779688 The other one had too many posts and was shut down. Oh, and you gotta do the "Mickey Ears" on the room # plaque! They're so cute! The "king" one was for Justin...I call him the King of Everything. The 3 anniversary ones and the ribbons were from another DIS'er, and the top one was a joke that we had amongst some of the DIS'ers...we were all chocoholics and we said we were constantly checking the thread every day in the last months before the cruise, so we were "thread-stalking chocoholics!"

Quote:
I purchased our airline tickets last week. Since we are flying across country and I doubt prices are going to drop that much we picked the best route and bought the tickets at twice the price we've normally had to pay.
I haven't even thought about plane tix yet! Yikes! We aren't even sure yet how long we'll be staying after the cruise. I guess I need to get in gear and do some planning, huh? Unfortunately, the new air carrier that we were supposed to have at our little airport has cancelled their contract, and therefore, there will no longer be $59 flights to KC like we thought we were going to do. It's still questionable when we'll get air service again since we don't know who it'll be or when they'll start, so I'd like to find out more about that first. If it's not going to be as cheap to fly out of our town, then we'll have to drive 2 hours again to the nearest major airport in Omaha. Bummer!
Quote:
My question this evening is how "themed" are you thinking of going for the Pirate night?
We didn't do anything for pirate night, but it would've been fun! I really didn't want to take up the room in the suitcases for costumes that would be worn for a short time. And the boys aren't realy into the pirate thing anyway, but at dinner that night, Justin said he wished we would have, so we might this time. We'll see...

Have a great time with your DS this weekend!!!

Western Magic 05-16-09
Old 07-10-2008, 12:48 PM   #99
Hudson5&Lennon3
Go Huskers!

Great pirate picture, Sherry! The boys saw it and want to know all about them now that they can "see" someone who will be on the cruise with us! Hudson is wondering when Noah will be 7. He turns 7 in October.

Western Magic 05-16-09
Old 07-10-2008, 03:09 PM   #100
Nik's Mom

I bought the costumes at the Disney Store a couple of Halloweens ago. Noah will be 7 in May.

Wow, I can't believe we are talking airfare. I priced it out a few days ago and nearly fell off my chair! Plus, I could only find one non-stop flight out of Kansas City. I wonder if St. Louis is any cheaper?

Old 07-10-2008, 03:14 PM   #101
Hudson5&Lennon3
Go Huskers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik's Mom View Post
Noah will be 7 in May.
Is the cruise his birthday present?!?!
Quote:
I could only find one non-stop flight out of Kansas City.
Do you remember any specifics (time of day, etc.) about this one flight? (Just in case we decide to go the KC route...)

Western Magic 05-16-09
Old 07-10-2008, 03:48 PM   #102
Nik's Mom

I just checked the flight again. It's Midwest Airlines and it looks like the price dropped. It came out to $188 per person. It leaves at 7am though. I think what we may do is leave the day before just to make sure that we get there on time. The problem is, the return flight leaves at 11:10am, so I don't think we would make it from the ship to the airport in time. We may have to stay that night too. I may check Southwest airlines. Too bad United isn't non-stop. DH just got back from a business trip to China and I think between the 2 of us, we have about 80,000 frequent flyer miles.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:12 PM   #103
Hudson5&Lennon3
Go Huskers!

Quote:
I just checked the flight again. It's Midwest Airlines and it looks like the price dropped. It came out to $188 per person. It leaves at 7am though. I think what we may do is leave the day before just to make sure that we get there on time. The problem is, the return flight leaves at 11:10am, so I don't think we would make it from the ship to the airport in time. We may have to stay that night too. I may check Southwest airlines. Too bad United isn't non-stop. DH just got back from a business trip to China and I think between the 2 of us, we have about 80,000 frequent flyer miles.
I've just started checking flights now, too. I wish I knew what was going on with our local airport though!!!!!! Last year, we flew in on Friday, and I'm glad we did because we found out firsthand about flight delays! We were supposed to arrive at MCO at 11 PM (that was even pushing it), but we didn't make it until about 2 AM the day of embarkation. Ugh. Then we had to get to the hotel and sleep for just a few hours before our car service picked us up at 8:30. Not fun with 3 & 5 y/o kids! Anyway, we're planning on flying in on Friday again this time and staying until at least Thursday after the cruise. (Sherry, I thought you were staying at WDW after the cruise, too. ) But you're right about the flight times--way too early for us to get to KC & leave again and also too early to leave MCO. I, too, was looking at those nonstop flights from KC because Lennon got sick (yes, again ) as we were landing in Omaha with "near misses" at every other takeoff/landing, so I'm wanting to reduce the # of stops to help his tummy.

WTG with the FF miles! What a nice bonus to have just in time for vacation! (China, huh? I bet that was a cool business trip!)

BTW--Southwest says they're only booking through 01-09-2009, so no prices yet. Snap!

Western Magic 05-16-09

Last edited by Hudson5&Lennon3; 07-10-2008 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:35 PM   #104
Nik's Mom

I was going to stay at WDW for a few days, but that was before we knew about moving to Kansas. We are now a one-income family and are making adjustments to our budget. Which reminds me, for those of you who have cruised before, have you been in a category 8 or 9 cabin. We've only been in category 5 but I'm thinking of downgrading to cut $1000 off our total cost. I'm just wondering how it is in a category 8 or 9.
Thanks!

Old 07-10-2008, 09:34 PM   #105
Hudson5&Lennon3
Go Huskers!

Quote:
I was going to stay at WDW for a few days, but that was before we knew about moving to Kansas. We are now a one-income family and are making adjustments to our budget. Which reminds me, for those of you who have cruised before, have you been in a category 8 or 9 cabin. We've only been in category 5 but I'm thinking of downgrading to cut $1000 off our total cost. I'm just wondering how it is in a category 8 or 9.
Thanks!
Bummer about no WDW! I'm sure it's worth it to stay home, though!

We were (and will be again) in Cat 8. We were perfectly happy with it, but then we didn't have anything else to compare it to either. We don't feel the need to upgrade to a verandah for the extra money. There's a bigger price difference going from a porthole to verandah than there is from inside to porthole. As long as I can see outside, I'm happy! (Of course, if we were so lucky to get the magic pixie dust for an upgrade, then I wouldn't refuse it. ) We loved deck 5 so much that we're doing it again. I don't think there was too much difference in price between 8 & 9. The only difference is that Cat 9 is on deck 2 (and a few on 1) if that matters to you at all.

Western Magic 05-16-09

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: