Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2008, 12:22 PM   #211
goofygal1975
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotary2808 View Post
It's supposed to be 73 here today, but we've got storms coming in later and that should cool it back down to normal. It's unbelievable the weather we've been having.
It was hot here the past couple of days...I amost turned on the A/C yesterday! But we just opened the windows for the breeze. I heard the weatherman say there is a slight possibility for snow flurries this weekend! From 70's to below 30's in just a few days!

We lost power last night for about 2 hours. Our neighborhood and my sisters neighborhood across the highway. That was fun! No TV, no computers. Of course it was pitch black outside too. Luckily we had plenty of flashlights/lanterns..so we pulled out the ipods and read a book!
5/23/09 Magic Tortola

New Member 1/21/09
goofygal1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:21 PM   #212
rotary2808
DIS Veteran

There's been alot of power outages around here too. Luckily, the only one that affected me was while I was at work.

rotary2808 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2008, 06:47 AM   #213
whnim64
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofygal1975 View Post
We lost power last night for about 2 hours. Our neighborhood and my sisters neighborhood across the highway. That was fun! No TV, no computers. Of course it was pitch black outside too. Luckily we had plenty of flashlights/lanterns..so we pulled out the ipods and read a book!
Reading is always good. We live out in the middle of nowhere, so we're used to power outages once in a while. We have a generator that we bought from the owner of the house when we moved in. That and our water tank have been the best investments that we've made. The generator gives us heat and light, but we don't turn on the TV. We pull out the Uno Attack!

First trip to WDW Nov. 2002
DCL Magic June 2004, May 2006
WONDERful girls' cruise Nov. 2007
WDW Sept. 2010 Caleb's 16th and Kristen's 30th Birthdays
whnim64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:01 AM   #214
Hygiene99
I am quite the little Teapot
EVERYTHING DISNEY

May Repo Cruiser / Panama

Thanks to everyone, who has sent a card!
Jenn received 3 in the mail yesterday! and a couple via the website!

This is good, she was cleaning, one girls Teeth and the other woman, brought them into the room and said Jenn you've got mail!
Jenn said Open them up!
She has read the post on the boards!

They said how are you getting donations via mail!

She explained it was her wacky Dis friends, as you are so called!

I leave for Florida, today at 6:14 pm arrive St. Augustine, Florida!
what do you want for a $20.08 airfare!
super8ing it tonight! (My Friend & I)
Jenn will arrive Friday morning.....

Will be at the World, Thursday morning sometime!
NO hurry! taking our time!
whenever I wake up!
and then make the 100 mile drive!

Thanks again!

Peter

Oh for got to say, I am on my new HP m8300f computer, with Windows vista home premium edition.

HP Pavilion M8300F Desktop PC (AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+, 3 GB RAM, 640 GB Hard Drive, Vista Premium)

Do not fear VISTA, it is not bad, I kinda like it!!!!!!!!

It will READ the post to me!!!! windows Narrator!

and I can also compose an email with my Voice!

It will also take you to your favorite, websites!
LOL

Last edited by Hygiene99; 01-09-2008 at 07:20 AM.
Hygiene99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:47 AM   #215
rotary2808
DIS Veteran

Have a great trip Peter and good luck to Jenn and everyone else running the marathon.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:01 AM   #216
goofygal1975
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by whnim64 View Post
Reading is always good. We live out in the middle of nowhere, so we're used to power outages once in a while. We have a generator that we bought from the owner of the house when we moved in. That and our water tank have been the best investments that we've made. The generator gives us heat and light, but we don't turn on the TV. We pull out the Uno Attack!
Yes, we want to look into getting a generator! Living in FL with the hurricanes we wanted to get one. we actually borrowed one during one storm from my dad's boss up here in AL...dad drove it down to us. Turns out the storm didn't hit us, but came up here to AL

During one tropical storm my house didn't loose electricity..but my neighbor did and so did my parents down the street (that storm we didn't have the generator!) So we had slumber parties at my house for a few days.

You are smart to use it for heat and light but not the TV !!
5/23/09 Magic Tortola

New Member 1/21/09
Old 01-09-2008, 11:07 AM   #217
goofygal1975
DIS Veteran

I forgot to mention that we spent part of the evening at the local walk in clinic last night. My son (12) hurt his foot last week while playing football/catch with his Papa in the house. (dad doesn't have the energy to go outside and play anymore). Somehow ds stepped on it wrong. After walking on it for a few full days at school it just didn't get any better. So now he his home with me and using crutches!

Hope it gets to feeling better by next week...that is when we fly to Orlando and make a quick stop at Disney!!! (the rest of the time we will be with the inlaws)
We've just decided to DRIVE to FL for our cruise. I don't know where it came from, but it just hit me...we should drive. It will be summer for us...ds will get out of school the day before we were going to fly to FL. We were going to rent a car and keep it the whole time. (almost 2 weeks) But I did not want the hassle of renting car, turning it in near the port then waiting for shuttle after cruise. (Our 1st cruise we drove..we lived in St Pete, Fl...and our car was right there and I loved it) I am VERY impatient and tend to stress when not in somewhat control. So we were going to keep the rental car all week in the port. We will save ALOT of money just driving down. The total cost of gas round trip will cost about the cost of a one way flight for 3 (with good discounts) to Orlando. Plus we will be buying alot of merchandise while in Orlando/Disney for ebay and were going to mail it home. If we drive we can just take it with us.

DH is really happy about this and the fact that I am saving us money!!! With the both of us taking turns driving it won't be bad at all!! Then we won't have to worry about what we can and can not pack on the plane. This flying business is still new to me. We try to not check in luggage and just take carry ons...since all of our trips have just been weekend trips to visit family.
5/23/09 Magic Tortola

New Member 1/21/09

Last edited by goofygal1975; 01-09-2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:59 AM   #218
rotary2808
DIS Veteran

Hope your son's foot heals quickly. Disney's not much fun with a bummed out foot.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:57 AM   #219
CajunGirl2
DIS Veteran

I'm rescuing us from Page 2.

Sandi, hope your mouth is doing better.

Heather, hope your sons foot heals quickly. What did the dr. say was wrong with it. I broke my toe during the summer & it took 6 weeks before I was able to put a shoe on and walk normally.

Good luck to everyone doing the 1/2 marathon & marathon this weekend. I have 2 cousins going to walk the marathon.

Ang
May 2002 WDW ASMu * Sept/Oct 2004 WDW OKW thanks to Hurricane Jeanne * May 27-June 3, 2006 Disney Magic with the Blabbermouths * June 2007 WDW Pop Century * June 2008 WDW SSR * May 23-30, 2009 Disney Magic to Tortola & St. Thomas * June 2-9, 2012 Disney Fantasy
CajunGirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:43 AM   #220
whnim64
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunGirl2 View Post
Sandi, hope your mouth is doing better.
I'm doing better, Ang, thanks for asking. I'm thinking a couple of Tylenol right now might be a good idea. I can't wait to see how much your girls have grown next year. We're still a little nervous about the school schedule; we won't know what it is for sure until August, then will have to hope we don't use any snow days.

Heather, I know how that is. With Caleb, he'll complain about aches and pains, but we wait awhile to see if they go away on their own. Then when they don't, and I end up taking him in to the dr., I have major mom guilt that I didn't do anything sooner.

Best of luck to all the marathon runners! I couldn't make it a block, let alone all those miles.

Tomorrow is our board meeting day, and I was looking for treats. I thought I'd do a theme for winter and tried to find the 'snowballs' round cakes with white coconut on them. The only 'snowballs' I found are pink and are actually labeled as 'pink snowballs'. I guess I should just be glad they aren't YELLOW!

First trip to WDW Nov. 2002
DCL Magic June 2004, May 2006
WONDERful girls' cruise Nov. 2007
WDW Sept. 2010 Caleb's 16th and Kristen's 30th Birthdays
whnim64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:44 AM   #221
goofygal1975
DIS Veteran

Dr says ds has a bad sprain...he walked on it for about a week,kids stepping on it at school due to construction and chaos at school. We kept him home yesterday...but it was off to school today. Keeping my fingers crossed he does ok! He was stressed out about it. I feel bad, I'd keep him home but they are VERY strict on school attendance and ds does have trouble making up school work.

Good luck to all the marathon runners/walkers!!! In past years, we'd see certain areas being set up and couldn't figure out what the heck was going on! It was the marathon set up!
5/23/09 Magic Tortola

New Member 1/21/09
Old 01-10-2008, 09:59 AM   #222
rotary2808
DIS Veteran

Hope everyone's aches and pains go away soon!!!!

Old 01-10-2008, 05:11 PM   #223
goofygal1975
DIS Veteran

Well, ds made it through the day...of course they closed schools early due to severe weather!!! (about an hour and half early). This is new to us! In FL, they pretty much just cosed schools when tropical storms went through and you found that out the day before, and it was closed for a full day. I wouldn't have even known if I didn't go online to a news station...they announced a few counties/schools only.

My ds...who normall has no "common sense" for things like this...actually went to the nurses room since it was close to a classroom he was in...and called home to tell us to pick him up (he talked to his papa)...we were already at the school pick up area But I was glad to know he actually thought ahead and called home!

This weather is crazy for us...I'm not used to having to run down to a basement...I'd never even seen a basement until we moved here...lol! (weather isn't bad enough here for that now/yet...but one other time since our moved we had to "take cover immediately" due to rotation over our small city)
5/23/09 Magic Tortola

New Member 1/21/09
Old 01-10-2008, 07:00 PM   #224
goofygal1975
DIS Veteran

I spoke too soon. Not long after the above post, we got the "get to your safe place" from the weather man! We live on the 2nd floor, my parents live on the 1st floor, and then we have the basement.

Don't know if I have mentioned it here...but my dad has cancer..he found out on my ds bday and was told if he didn't get chemo immediately he would have a month to live. Then after chemo they have given him 3-6 months..this was in June..he has survived failed Kidney's, infection from surgery and all the other things that go along with it. (this is why we moved to AL, cancelled our Disney wedding and had a double wedding at this house. We just left our house in fl and jobs and everything...we just wanted to have time with dad...we did sell the house Nov 30th!! woo hoo!!)

Anyways, I worried about mom or dad ever making it to the basement if a warning was to come through..(they were in the hospital when the last 2 happened). Mom has bad legs and stairs are hard for her.

They got right up when the weather radio went off, got down there (my perfect dh had been down earlier to clear off the couch and table down there...basement is unfinished at this point) so my parents had a place to sit. We had chairs and ds laid down under the table. Our pizza I was cooking was just done, so hey...we took that down to the basement and had dinner while waiting.

All is well now, and so far as we can tell no damage...we've just heard lots of trees down in the area.
5/23/09 Magic Tortola

New Member 1/21/09

Last edited by goofygal1975; 01-10-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:19 PM   #225
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas

Heather,

Stay safe. I think your weather is heading this way.

I have family in Irondale AL so I imagine they've been in their basement too.

I'm sure it's very comforting to your Dad & Mom to have you, your thoughtful DH and DS there with them.

RachelTori is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: