Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2009, 05:46 AM   #1396
tamman
Mouseketeer

BlueMarlin, DH and DS will be in black dress pants, shirt and tie. Although I would love to see them both in a tux (even though DS would be miserable), I just can't stomach the cost to rent them. DH's only suit is an odd color and I want them in black so we can somewhat match for a nice family picture. There is a slight chance that we may go out and buy another suit, but DH likes the idea of just a shirt and tie. Seeing him in that alone will make my heart melt
tamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:31 AM   #1397
jhryb
DIS Veteran

In order to save luggage space I've rented tuxes/shoes for my DH and my DS. My DH can re-wear his tux when we go to Palos. Last year when we cruised I bought lovely but impractical dresses for my DD and I. The dresses were both heavy and prone to wrinkle. This year when I went shopping for dresses my two main criteria were light weight and wrinkle free. Our dresses are a little casual up against a tux but our luggage will be happy.
Register to remove

Old 07-13-2009, 07:44 AM   #1398
gonzalj1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMarlin View Post
Thinking of Formal Nights, and I have seen discussions across the boards, so I am wondering what our general disposition is going to be. Cruising the boards, I have seen that some are choosing now that khakis and polos are formal, or they are ignoring formal night due to the airline baggage embargo -- I mean restrictions -- for us common folk.

Fully believing that no woman can resist a man, especially her husband, dressed to the nines , I am one for the full tuxedo, if it did not cost more to rent one for a week than to buy one any more, and if I had more occasions to wear it outside of the cruise. I also would be one to show up in full kilt kit if I could find one in McCarthy for less than twice a tuxedo. Having said that, I am being convinced that I should only bring a suit and some shirts, and that I might fore-go ties even. Are there others who will stick with me that formal night is something to hold dear, and that while one may claim their man is stunning when dressed, there is nothing to behold like ones lady when she is dressed to kill.

Am I living in the classic age? Do I need to get modern? Should I bring even my suit coat if that is the way? Is just a blazer enough? What is the consensus of this think tank regarding formal night?

I was so looking forward to wearing a tux this trip. BUT, luggage restrictions and the like (meaning my expanding waistline) have resulted in my most likely only bringing suits that I know fit me.

We did buy DS (5) a suit for the trip for ($30) figured he'd only wear it on the cruise but he was too cute in it to resist.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:07 AM   #1399
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamman View Post
Should we put our name and/or room # on our FE gifts that we pass out? I am starting to work on these and wasn't sure of what to do.
I am enclosing a sheet of papper with our names for ours. I have been working very hard on them.

Christi
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:26 AM   #1400
tamman
Mouseketeer

Stsomewhere, I think I will put an address label on a mickey head and include it in the bag.
tamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:46 AM   #1401
Aurora's Mommy
Because she's beautiful, when she's asleep!

As much as I would like to see DH and DS in tuxes, we'll be bringing suits. They wore suits last time for both formal and semi-formal night, and DH wore his for Palo. We just changed up the shirts and ties a bit. Since we are flying this time and will have to limit our luggage, I probably should have seriously considered renting tuxes....

My poor Mom has come down with shingles ! She had the vaccine, so although she would have preferred to not have had it at all, the doctor said it should be a mild case, and she shouldn't have any of the nasty after effects. But, as she is my supplemental childcare, I will need to take off work tomorrow and Wednesday. The kids are in a morning theatre camp, and I'm thinking I should do some cruise-prep stuff with those 3 1/2 hours of found time. Unforturnately, probably the major thing I need to do is try on bathing suits . I probably shouldn't put it off too much longer....

Denise
DCL - 2009 POP - 2008 DCL - 2006 WL - 2004Poly - 2002 BV - 2000 CBR - 1991 Offsite - 1987
Aurora's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:20 AM   #1402
MrR
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhryb View Post
In order to save luggage space I've rented tuxes/shoes for my DH and my DS. My DH can re-wear his tux when we go to Palos. Last year when we cruised I bought lovely but impractical dresses for my DD and I. The dresses were both heavy and prone to wrinkle. This year when I went shopping for dresses my two main criteria were light weight and wrinkle free. Our dresses are a little casual up against a tux but our luggage will be happy.
That's actually the reason I've rented - because, with five of us travelling, it's just going to take up too much room to bring something.

I'm not sure what I'm going to wear on the semi-formal nights, or to Palo, at this stage. Any tips? Is a casual jacket, over a shirt and jeans ok?

And which night would you guys recommend for a Palo booking?
MrR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:31 AM   #1403
BlueMarlin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrR View Post
That's actually the reason I've rented - because, with five of us travelling, it's just going to take up too much room to bring something.

I'm not sure what I'm going to wear on the semi-formal nights, or to Palo, at this stage. Any tips? Is a casual jacket, over a shirt and jeans ok?

And which night would you guys recommend for a Palo booking?
Have you checked the Palo reservations site, last I looked it was pretty tight, so you may be taking what you can get. We were one of the ones who logged on at midnight 90 days out to get the pick of the litter.

If you read the Palo dinner agreement, it states this is a suit and tie kind of place, but they will settle for dress trousers and a button up collared shirt. No polo, no Tommy Bahamas, no less than dress trousers, etc.

I would love to rent a tux but that just aint gonna happen. Last time we went into the on-board tailor shop, the hostess there had a very disturbed look on her face until I said I was there to order my daughter's birthday cake, then she visibly de-tensed, smiled, and was very friendly. Something about the possibility of finding the biggest tux on the ship, then letting it out all the way, and then adding parts of another tux, and sewing that all back together, did not seem to be on her priority list of things to do. So I will bring my charcoal pinstripe suit.
BlueMarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:21 PM   #1404
Maza
Mouseketeer

The men in our party will be dressed formally! Love to see a man dressed up...and how often does it happen? We will be bringing Daves Tux
(he is..rather annoyingly,pretty much the same size he was in his teens! but who said life was fair!) He got a new tux a couple of years ago for works formal do...and has worn it twice...never with me present...so i wanna see it! Plus it gives me an excuse to buy a new frock(s)... He even has a specially commissioned dress shirt....but all will be revealled in time! My DB is planning to get a kilt etc..but he hasnt yet! if he doesnt i will tell him he needs a tux!
Dave also has a cream linen suit and some reasonable smart/casual shirts..as well as the ubiquitous shorts and character t-shirts. I might chuck in a tie or two...for Palo or semi-formal night, but he wears a shirt and tie every day for work, so prefers the casual look outside of the office! But likes dressing up when the occasion demands!
I will be starting our packing this week...all in vacuum bags..so will be lovely and crushed by the time we unpack..hey ho...thats what the laundry service is for , yes?
I have added all the new FE bodies ( i think...i will double check )
we have made labels for our gifts..using the chilli mickey head logo Dave pulled together! we are favouring wearing Dis green for embarcation...although my little DD has a tinkerbell shirt she want to wear. it will be green or disney...

anyway...things to do. Eldest DD is off to London tonight to do her mandated work experience placement. I need to make sure she has packed properly why she couldnt go to a local shop or something i dont know...but no...its the Houses of Parliament or nothing!
Old 07-13-2009, 01:39 PM   #1405
MrR
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMarlin View Post
Have you checked the Palo reservations site, last I looked it was pretty tight, so you may be taking what you can get. We were one of the ones who logged on at midnight 90 days out to get the pick of the litter.
Whew! You're right - looks like Palo is completely booked. Which I guess solves my dilemma over what to wear! No biggie. Next time, maybe...
MrR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:39 PM   #1406
Mackie Mouse
Even my dog loves Disney

MrR...if you really do want to go to Palo, you can check once you board the ship to see of reservations are available. We missed out on booking a brunch and will be doing this.
Mackie Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:56 PM   #1407
Ski-and-Sea
DIS Veteran

Hi All,

Haven't posted in a while.....because we've had outstanding weather for the past week. I haven't seen the sun in so long that I actually was getting headaches due to the light.

I am definitely in for a rum toast. That whole issue with whether or not you can bring a bottle of alcohol onto the ship is so confusing. I think we need to call DCL and ask directly about that.

I mean come on.....you have to be able to bring a bottle of rum called "big black dick" onboard a Disney ship. Right????? I seriously want to try some of that myself.

Welcome to all the new families....this is turning into a great crowd of people on this cruise. I am really looking forward to meeting all of you.

I am sewing challenged so I got my fish extender on Ebay. There were several to choose from.

You know, I hadn't thought about whether or not to put labels on the FE gifts. My original intent was not to but I might change my mind on that.

DH does bring a tux in his luggage for formal night. We use that occasion to take our Christmas card photo. The only issue is whether or not he can still fit into the tux. Whenever he can't, he blames the dry cleaners for shrinking the tux.

We've always done late seating on DCL. It means we can have more time off the ship on port days and not be rushed to get back to the ship. Yes, the kids would fall asleep at the table when they were little but the servers are used to it and bring out extra chairs and table cloths to use as blankets and let the kids sleep at the table while we adults eat.

Both kids were away last week in Boston with their camp. I know what everyone means about being guilty for enjoying the time when the kids are away but its a good separation for all parties involved. My kids come home bursting with stories about what they did. Those are lifetime memories.

BTW......what car service are people using to get from the airport to the port? That's the last reservation I need to make. We are flying down late the night before and will be staying at the Radisson.
Aug 2005 Wonder & WDW;
Aug 2006 DCL Double Dip;
Aug 2007 Wonder & WDW;
Aug 17,2008 Wonder B2B - triple dip to CC
Aug 22, 2009 Magic western
Aug 22, 2010 Wonder & WDW
Ski-and-Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:38 PM   #1408
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

Marina was at camp last week and we dropped Matt off on SUnday. It is not fair that they are not at camp the same week.

We have late seating, too. We had first last cruise and it was a little rushed.

We are thinking about walking to the state park/fort/beach in key West. Has anyone done this?
We walked there baout 12 yrs. ago but, the beach was closed due to jellyfish. We did not know there was a fort, also.
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:51 PM   #1409
BlueMarlin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-and-Sea View Post
BTW......what car service are people using to get from the airport to the port? That's the last reservation I need to make. We are flying down late the night before and will be staying at the Radisson.
If you are staying at the Radisson at the Port, well all you have to do is take their shuttle over to the ship. That was easy.

Of course now is when I realize you mean from the airport to the Radisson.
BlueMarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:30 PM   #1410
Aurora's Mommy
Because she's beautiful, when she's asleep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-and-Sea View Post
We are flying down the afternoon before and are staying at the Residence Inn by MCO. I've booked with Southern Elegance to get down to the port on
Saturday , and then back to the airport the following Saturday .

Forgot to note earlier today, only

days until boarding!

Denise
DCL - 2009 POP - 2008 DCL - 2006 WL - 2004Poly - 2002 BV - 2000 CBR - 1991 Offsite - 1987
Aurora's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: