Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2009, 07:05 AM   #1351
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne
I can't get my mouth to say healthy things

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamman View Post
Wayne,

I am still trying to get a jist about the FE. Can you explain how it works? It does sound like fun!!!
Everyone on the list with a red FE after their name is participating, Maria(Maza) at the end of this month is going to send everyone a final list of names and cabin numbers, then onboard in your own time you take a gift around to each cabin on the list. The gift can be for the whole family or you can buy for each member of the families, we are doing a selection of items for the whole family. Some people buy something Disney related others give something relating to where they live. It can be something from a few cents to anything you want to spend, last time we did it we got items varying from a postcard to limited edition Disney pins. Its a fun way to go around and see other Dissers doors, many of us decorate them with magnets.
DMIL is making us a FE to recieve gifts in, hangs on the fish outside your cabin, some buy off Ebay, some make them others just use a regular bag.
Hope that covers it.
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
wayneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:12 AM   #1352
Aurora's Mommy
Because she's beautiful, when she's asleep!

Quote:
I am up early so the noise may help me in my quest to get my family moving!! I can never sleep past 7am on vacation.
As I recall, the kids slept right through the noise! Honestly, I've read room reports that really complain about it, it really didn't bother us that much. I haven't seen any room reports on the room we are in this time, but as it is right on the other side of the blank space between your room and ours, and as I have to believe that "blank space" is the origin of the noise, we'll probably experience it again. I don't care. We're on the boat .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMarlin View Post
My question, and I will have to ask is whether I can choose to ask the steward to cork it, and if it has to be in the dining room, or if I can choose to be my own sommelier in my cabin. (UPDATE: Many threads have posted that the corking fee only applies to whole bottles brought into the dining room.)
It's my understanding that your room steward will happily provide you with a cork screw, for free. If not, there are some lovely wines with screw tops now available!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsomewhere View Post
What part of Michigan are you from? We live south of Detroit.
"Just a city boy, born and raised in South Detroit." Great, now "Don't Stop Believing" will be running in my head all day .

Denise
DCL - 2009 POP - 2008 DCL - 2006 WL - 2004Poly - 2002 BV - 2000 CBR - 1991 Offsite - 1987
Aurora's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2009, 08:34 AM   #1353
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

Quote:
StSomewhere,

We are North of Detroit in Macomb/Macomb Township. We have relatives who reside in Woodhaven. Are you near there?

BlueMarlin,

You really know your alcohol!!!! I only know light, dark and spiced rum. Oh and Cruzan rum simply because they sponsor Kenny Chesney's concerts

Wayne,

I am still trying to get a jist about the FE. Can you explain how it works? It does sound like fun!!!
We live in Lincoln Park. My DH grew up in Woodhaven. We live about 10-15 minutes depending on traffic. You would get of I-75 at the Southfield Rd/FWy exit.
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:14 AM   #1354
Disfools
Earning My Ears

We're sailing with all of you too!

We are from NY. Sabrina, Mark, Michelle(10) and Kimberly(9) and will be in cabin 6569. I am right there with you, Tamman, with the teaching profession, and now we finally have time to get into cruise mode. We won't be doing the FE b/c we are worried about where we will pack our regular things as we are doing 10 days in WDW before the cruise. Can't wait to meet everyone!
Disfools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:20 AM   #1355
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne

DISboards Moderator

Welcome aboard Sabrina, Mark, Michelle and Kimberly
Will add you to our list this evening
Also welcome to DISboards.
Is this your 1st cruise?
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
Old 07-10-2009, 09:45 AM   #1356
Disfools
Earning My Ears

Thanks! This is our first Disney Cruise. DH and I have been to Bermuda on Celebrity and Norwegian.
Disfools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:00 AM   #1357
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disfools View Post
Thanks! This is our first Disney Cruise. DH and I have been to Bermuda on Celebrity and Norwegian.
I have a customer just come back from a European cruise with Celebrity (Solstice) http://celebritysolstice.com/ He cruises 3 or 4 times a year but says this was best ship he has ever been on, although it should be its only about 6 months old.

Hope you enjoy Disney cruising as much as us.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:31 AM   #1358
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

we were lookinjg at Celebrity Solstise for April 2010.

Is there going to be a cut off date for FE?
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:37 AM   #1359
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsomewhere View Post
we were lookinjg at Celebrity Solstise for April 2010.

Is there going to be a cut off date for FE?
Looks a great ship.

Maria is going to send out the final lists end of this month, we leave for Florida on 6th August so end of July is a good cut off for us, although will have laptops with us I would prefer to know final numbers before we leave UK.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:04 AM   #1360
MrR
Earning My Ears

Hi all,

We're toying with the idea of taking part in FE - Mrs R is rather keen on the idea. Are we too late to get ourselves an Extender? Where would be the best place to pick one up?
MrR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:22 AM   #1361
shelleyr25
Queen of the Adult Pool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora's Mommy View Post
How are you getting to the ship? If you are using Disney, your options are kind of limited, if you are taking a town car, many companies will include a stop at a grocery store. I know in Florida they sell wine and beer in the grocery store, but I'm not sure about booze, although I know some grocery stores have a liquor store right next door.

It would be hard to bring it all the way from home, because TSA won't allow you to bring a bottle in your carry on (unless it is less than 3 ounces, they don't care that it is alcohol, just that it can't be bigger than 3 ounces. You could always fill a quart bag with lots of little bottles!), and then you would have to have access to your checked luggage before you take off for the port and you can move any bottles from your checked luggage to your day bag (because DCL wants it in your day bag, not your checked luggage). BUT, you can probably pick something up in Key West . I think duty free is the only thing DCL keeps until you disembark.
Ok, what do you think of this.......here's the plan....we pack 2 bottles of wine and a small vodka in our luggage all wrapped up in bubble wrap. We are taking car service from the airport to the ship so we can access our luggage and remove the liquor to transfer it to our carry on bag. Then we bring it on the ship. Does that sound like it will work??????

Turkey with Mickey 11/2014
Disney Dream 2/2014
Magical Summer 2012-8/25 out of NYC!!
Disney Dream- 4/2011
Disney Magic- 8/2009
WDW-Polynesian- 8/2007
Disney Wonder-DDC Cruise- 11/2006
WDW-Polynesian- 8/06 Epcot- off site- 12/96
WDW- off site- 8/88 Epcot- off site- 4/87

shelleyr25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:22 AM   #1362
BlueMarlin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora's Mommy View Post
How are you getting to the ship? I know in Florida they sell wine and beer in the grocery store, but I'm not sure about booze, although I know some grocery stores have a liquor store right next door. I think duty free is the only thing DCL keeps until you disembark.
Florida is a Liquor Control State, meaning, like Ohio and Canada, that you can only purchase from "approved vendors" anything over Snapps Proof. There are at least five within two miles of the airport. I don't know the neighborhoods to advise one over another. If you trust your driver he or she might get you to one of these:
Orlando Airport Liquor Stores

You wil be leaving the airport and immediately jumping on the Bee / Beach Line Expressway to the port. If you swing past the port on Astronaut Blvd there are 4 more stores within 1/2 to 1 mile in Port Canaveral
Port Canaveral Liquor Stores

Of course this all depends on your mode of arrival. If you are on Disney transport, then you need to go to Key West. I am not sure if the Conch Republic has a treaty with the State of Florida on this or not regarding sales, although there is not a lot of area, so it should not be hard to find your needs there.

I will reiterate that Disney will confiscate items in your luggage during the security scan so they do not break during loading. This is not a delicate time for your luggage it will be thrown into big containers, squished, forklifted onto the ship and distributed. Do not count on getting it intact to the cabin.

You need to hand carry these items in the approved suitcase through security on your person. Then you are good to go

Regarding knowing my favorites, I might have a little experience, but I try to refrain from befriending my Kentucky Friends too much, because you would have to drink gallons of coffee to repair your liver. Many of the aforementioned bottles are years old, I have a sip of one of them on my birthday because I cannot afford to replace them, and in the case of Stagg, it is a singular bottle, once it is gone, it is gone forever. There is a new one every year, if you can get you hands on one of the 200 world wide bottles.
BlueMarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:23 AM   #1363
shelleyr25
Queen of the Adult Pool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrR View Post
Hi all,

We're toying with the idea of taking part in FE - Mrs R is rather keen on the idea. Are we too late to get ourselves an Extender? Where would be the best place to pick one up?
You can either make one yourself or get one off ebay...just search under "fish extender". They are a bit pricey but there is no way I could ever make one myself so I just bought ours yesterday, I should have it by next week. HTH

Turkey with Mickey 11/2014
Disney Dream 2/2014
Magical Summer 2012-8/25 out of NYC!!
Disney Dream- 4/2011
Disney Magic- 8/2009
WDW-Polynesian- 8/2007
Disney Wonder-DDC Cruise- 11/2006
WDW-Polynesian- 8/06 Epcot- off site- 12/96
WDW- off site- 8/88 Epcot- off site- 4/87

shelleyr25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:32 AM   #1364
BlueMarlin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleyr25 View Post
Ok, what do you think of this.......here's the plan....we pack 2 bottles of wine and a small vodka in our luggage all wrapped up in bubble wrap. We are taking car service from the airport to the ship so we can access our luggage and remove the liquor to transfer it to our carry on bag. Then we bring it on the ship. Does that sound like it will work??????
Don't see why it would not. Don't think the pressure change will uncork the wine in transit, although you may want to include a plastic bag around the deal just in case. I have to imagine that wine is shipped air freight all the time.

I took a bottle of champagne through luggage and it made it all the way to baggage claim where I could smell my luggage from across the luggage roundabout. Fortunately it was comp'ed from Carnival and not very good at that.

So long as you don't have a series of unfortunate events, you are meeting the letter of the law in your plan.
BlueMarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:37 PM   #1365
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrR View Post
Hi all,

Hi Paul
Never see them for sale in UK, obviously not a massive call for them here so you would have to find a US seller then wait for shipping, if they would even ship to UK. Total cost I think would be too high. Another option is to make one, have you anyone in the family that does crafty things?

Pics here of some http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl...-8&sa=N&tab=wi

One here someones made on UK forum for their cruise. http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...3&postcount=33

Last option is not a proper fish extender, just some kind of bag. If you want to participate its better than nothing and an easy option so close.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: