Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2008, 01:11 PM   #76
Ski-and-Sea
DIS Veteran

That would be great to create a web page for our cruise. Thanks for doing that.

Late August is a popular time for people from NJ to cruise since it gets cheaper and our kids are still off for the summer whereas many in the southern US are back at school.

I think cruising with the extended family is a wonderful thing. I've tried to get my relatives to come and we were all set to book when DB and DSIL decided to go in October instead of August. Funny enough they were the ones that got impacted by a hurricane....not us in August.

Yes, a Disney cruise is as good as it looks in the DVD. I think the people who work for DCL as well as the adult who sail DCL really buy into the whole Magic of a Disney experience. We're the ones who believe pixie dust exists and for those set number of days that we are onboard we can cast aside all the problems at home and in the world and escape to a place of Magic and Wonder.

I think the key is to recognize that you will find magic on the ship but it shows up in unexpected places and in unexpected ways. It just sneaks up on you.

Yes, be careful not to set expectations too high. We did have one cruise where our dining room experience wasn't very good and I did end up writing a letter to DCL. I've been on cruises where the weather on the sea days was just dreadful.

We are so looking forward to going back to Grand Cayman and Cozumel. We will be doing snorkeling excursions on both days. We'll be going with Eagle Ray Divers in Cozumel and I'm still undecided on who to go with in Grand Cayman.
Aug 2005 Wonder & WDW;
Aug 2006 DCL Double Dip;
Aug 2007 Wonder & WDW;
Aug 17,2008 Wonder B2B - triple dip to CC
Aug 22, 2009 Magic western
Aug 22, 2010 Wonder & WDW
Ski-and-Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:13 PM   #77
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

Our kids are looking forward to snorkeling. We took them on their first "real " trip in January. We rented a 44ft sailboat to take us to ST. John. It was awesome.
Our kids have only been on eastern routes because we have felt it was safer while they were little. They are looking forward to seeing something different.
We may do a ruins trip.
SIL is worried about hurricanes and is unsure about cruise now. We have tried to reassure her that they will sail around/out of its path.
We have sailed in Sept 1996 and had to sail around 3 storms. It was very rough. But, we survived.
I hate cold water, so I am looking forward to sailing during the summer. We usually sail in Dec, Jan, or Feb. When it is zero here.
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-16-2008, 08:31 PM   #78
Ski-and-Sea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsomewhere View Post
SIL is worried about hurricanes and is unsure about cruise now. We have tried to reassure her that they will sail around/out of its path.
I tell people to never let the risk of hurricanes prevent you from cruising in August. I'd be more worried about the middle of September than August.

Hurricanes can hit anytime between June and November. We cruised the first week of July and got chased by a hurricane.

The worst that can happen is a change in itinerary and missing a port. Otherwise the captain steers well clear of any storms.

Quote:
I hate cold water, so I am looking forward to sailing during the summer. We usually sail in Dec, Jan, or Feb. When it is zero here.
Me too. I love that the water is so warm in August. I would never cruise DCL in the winter. Why fly/sail all that way when you can't go in the water.
Aug 2005 Wonder & WDW;
Aug 2006 DCL Double Dip;
Aug 2007 Wonder & WDW;
Old 03-17-2008, 06:42 AM   #79
Maza
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy bunny View Post

Just been reading the Times Travel pull out with a great picture of Aquatica on the front and we are all wishing we were going to Orlando this year. Oh well, just have to look at last years photo's again and keep putting the money into the holiday account.

WWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!! lol
Old 03-17-2008, 07:22 AM   #80
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-and-Sea View Post
I tell people to never let the risk of hurricanes prevent you from cruising in August. I'd be more worried about the middle of September than August.

Hurricanes can hit anytime between June and November. We cruised the first week of July and got chased by a hurricane.

The worst that can happen is a change in itinerary and missing a port. Otherwise the captain steers well clear of any storms.

Me too. I love that the water is so warm in August. I would never cruise DCL in the winter. Why fly/sail all that way when you can't go in the water.
We have explained all of this to her. She really has her heart set on going to Key West. She got married there. We sailed on NCL and she has her ceremony on the isalnd. She will be celebrating 10th anniversary during the cruise. We told her not to get her hopes up about going. There could be a change in ports.

DH and I are the cruise /vacation planners in our families. Everyone wants to go with us, but back out at the last minute. Plus, we try to take into consideration everyones wishes, dates and budgets. We usually have a few families come with us.

On DCL, we decided we would go when and where we wanted. I don't think grandparents will go if SIL doesn't. People complaining about how hot it will be.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:02 PM   #81
soccermom10
Earning My Ears

We have some friends that were considering the trip, but are nervous about it being hurricane season as well. I don't mind changing our itinerary or ports, I just hope we don't miss Castaway Cay again. We were on the 3/1 Eastern that everyone seems to be talking about & unfortunately were not able to dock
soccermom10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:16 AM   #82
Ski-and-Sea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccermom10 View Post
We have some friends that were considering the trip, but are nervous about it being hurricane season as well. I don't mind changing our itinerary or ports, I just hope we don't miss Castaway Cay again. We were on the 3/1 Eastern that everyone seems to be talking about & unfortunately were not able to dock
Never say never, but the bigger risk with sailing in August is the heat at Castaway Cay.

In terms of hurricanes, I think the bigger risk is missing a port like Grand Cayman than CC. The hurricanes in August tend to track south of the Bahamas and follow the extremely warm waters of the southern Caribbean.

We cruised last August when it looked like Hurricane Dean would head for the Bahamas and instead it made landfall in Costa Maya, Mexico.

I think I read a post on DIS a few years ago that listed the days when the ships couldn't dock at CC and I believe most of them happen during the winter months than the summer months.

I tell people I never let the risk of hurricanes prevent me from booking in August.
Aug 2005 Wonder & WDW;
Aug 2006 DCL Double Dip;
Aug 2007 Wonder & WDW;
Old 03-18-2008, 08:12 AM   #83
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

We hae some friends that are also considering it. They really want to go, they don't care about the ports or weather. One of them is starting a new job and they are waiting to put down deposit. They want to make sure everyting is ok before they book. They really want to go. They would also be celebrating theoor 10th ann.
Their kids got very upset because they did not go on our cruise in Jan. They begged too come along.What they did not know was they were getting a surprise trip to WDW the next week.

I have been on ships where we have had to miss Grand Cayman. I can't remember the months, though. If we have to have an extra sea day, I would not mind.
We were looking at the eastern because of that reason. But, the kids wanted to see something different.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:17 AM   #84
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Yes, a Disney cruise is as good as it looks in the DVD. on the sea days was

I can not wait. We have sailed on NCL, RCCL, Carnival, HAL, and Majesty lines. They were all similar and different experiences. We love to cruise.
We thought we would try DCl because the kids are getting older. Neither one of them are interested in going back to WDW. But, they love the idea of a Disney cruise.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:32 PM   #85
Ski-and-Sea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I can not wait. We have sailed on NCL, RCCL, Carnival, HAL, and Majesty lines. They were all similar and different experiences. We love to cruise.
We thought we would try DCl because the kids are getting older. Neither one of them are interested in going back to WDW. But, they love the idea of a Disney cruise.
My kids won't cruise anything but DCL. A while back when there were rumors that the Magic would not be in the Caribbean in the summer of 2009 we were looking at other cruiselines and the kids were devastated.

We're celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary on this cruise.
Aug 2005 Wonder & WDW;
Aug 2006 DCL Double Dip;
Aug 2007 Wonder & WDW;
Old 03-18-2008, 02:22 PM   #86
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

DS is already talking about taking another DCL crise when he is able to go to the teen program.
I have heard so many mixed reviews about DCL. But, all lines have things that make them good and bad.

A cruise is what you make of it.
: arty:
Old 03-18-2008, 03:25 PM   #87
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne
I can't get my mouth to say healthy things

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

We're celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary on this cruise.
Us too, it will be our 20th on 2nd Sept just a few days after the cruise
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
wayneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:20 PM   #88
soccermom10
Earning My Ears

Our last 2 trips were in the winter. For those of you that have sailed during the summer months, how hot does it normally get in August? I was thinking about bringing my mom along, but she has some health issues and she doesn't do well in extreme heat.
soccermom10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:27 PM   #89
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Our last 2 trips were in the winter. For those of you that have sailed during the summer months, how hot does it normally get in August? I was thinking about bringing my mom along, but she has some health issues and she doesn't do well in extreme heat.
I got this of the DCL site Average temp for Aug
Castaway Cay-high 88/ low 78
Key West 90/ 79
Cozemel 89/ 74
Grand Cay. 88/80

Not as hot as I thought. We usually visit my dad in Texas during this week and it is 105.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:33 PM   #90
Ski-and-Sea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It can be mixed with the heat in August. I've seen it so hot in Grand Cayman and Cozumel that it felt like my clothes would literally melt off.

But then I've had it hotter in New Jersey than in Cozumel.

Same with Castaway Cay. I've seen it so hot that I'm running to the outdoor showers to cool off and other times when it was cool, cloudy and windy.

It all comes down to the weather and how overcast it is that day.

I can't deny that there is the risk of it being very hot.

What happens is that you tend to do water-based shore excursions: snorkeling/swimming and less of the walking/hiking tours.

But the sea days are just glorious with the sea breezes and being outside at night is just wonderful not matter how hot it got during the day.
Aug 2005 Wonder & WDW;
Aug 2006 DCL Double Dip;
Aug 2007 Wonder & WDW;

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: