Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2008, 08:00 PM   #211
BlueMarlin
Mouseketeer

I am all for longer vacations. I did a stint in Stuttgart where there was a 7 hr. workday. The first hour was coffee and fellowship and cigarettes. My U.S. supervisor had a warrent out for her arrest due to making her German employees do a 42 hour work week for a few months. The argument is that if you are overworking, you must hire more people, or send them to training because the boss must not have interviewed properly. WOW!! Culture shock!!

On the other topic of Matt's surgery, when Christi says experimental, she means that had we made the right donations, it could be named after him. Since his time, they are now doing the same surgery on newborns that may have had hours to live before. Children's Hospital rocks.
BlueMarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 02:18 PM   #212
Maza
Mouseketeer

long holidays- because i am old...and have worked for my employer for more that 10 years i get 8 weeks annual leave a year. we are restricted when we take it though...no more than 2 weeks at a time..no holiday at christmas..only 3 weeks in total in school holidays...essentially i end up with a week in Jan, Feb and March...when no-one really wants to be on holiday! hey ho! But..the really cool bit is that I work shifts and part time...so i can work Monday tuesday one week...have 10 days off then work Sat Sun the following week- using up no holiday!This is Pretty much how i manage 3-4 weeks off for our summer holiday...that and insisting on using time owing
(which I have loads of...unpaid overtime...the curse of the UK NHS!) DH has less holidays than me, but gets to have them when he likes. He has all the bank hoildays off...aswell as a good whack of time at Christamas...finishes on Christmas eve and goes back on 2nd Jan. lucky boy!Hes a monday to friday lad no nights...no weekends. Standard working week is 37 hours, although neither of us get paid for our meal breaks we still work more hours and have less holidays than our fellow europeans DH works for a french company too Our kids still have a long summer break...but they have a week off every 8 weeks or so and 2 weeks off about every 16 weeks.some schools are spreading the holidays out more, but not in our county!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-12-2008, 08:37 PM   #213
soccermom10
Earning My Ears

Wow, I haven't been on here for a couple of days & I'm sooo lost.

Costumes-my DH & I don't dress up, my DS wears a cool pirate shirt with pirate accessories & my DD wears a complete costume. Our last 7 day was mixed, but either way, it's a great time.

st.somewhere - I hope your kids are feeling better.

Maza-I give you so much credit for being able to work in the NICU. I love babies, but I would have a really hard time anytime something went wrong. Not to mention that I'm one of those people that can't even watch any type of medical procedure on tv. I have to turn my head watching Grey's Anatomy
sometimes.

I haven't done any type of dismeets in the past, but I think it would be a lot fun. Heck, we're going to be talking on here for the next 16 months. Did I mention that my DH thinks I'm nuts
soccermom10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:43 PM   #214
soccermom10
Earning My Ears

Oh yeah, Margaritaville. We had a blast at the one in Grand Cayman. The kids had a great time on the water slide. I don't remember too much about the food, but the drinks were great

Am I caught up yet?
soccermom10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:01 PM   #215
Ski-and-Sea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccermom10 View Post
I haven't done any type of dismeets in the past, but I think it would be a lot fun. Heck, we're going to be talking on here for the next 16 months. Did I mention that my DH thinks I'm nuts
The funniest at the DIS meets are the spouses of DISers who get to meet the other spouses of DISers and joke about how obsessed we are with the DIS.

I booked my 2006 Magic cruise 23 months in advance. That was a loooong time of people posting on that meet thread.
Aug 2005 Wonder & WDW;
Aug 2006 DCL Double Dip;
Aug 2007 Wonder & WDW;
Aug 17,2008 Wonder B2B - triple dip to CC
Aug 22, 2009 Magic western
Aug 22, 2010 Wonder & WDW
Ski-and-Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:06 PM   #216
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne
I can't get my mouth to say healthy things

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-and-Sea View Post
The funniest at the DIS meets are the spouses of DISers who get to meet the other spouses of DISers and joke about how obsessed we are with the DIS.

I booked my 2006 Magic cruise 23 months in advance. That was a loooong time of people posting on that meet thread.
So true, Karen wants a website setting up spousesofDIS.com
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
wayneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 07:40 PM   #217
Ski-and-Sea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneg View Post
So true, Karen wants a website setting up spousesofDIS.com

I try to minimize my DIS discussions with DH as I get this reaction from him....
Aug 2005 Wonder & WDW;
Aug 2006 DCL Double Dip;
Aug 2007 Wonder & WDW;
Old 04-14-2008, 03:58 PM   #218
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

The kids got to go back to school today. They are feeling much better.

But, they are not too happy about having to do ALL the homework.

My sister just got a new job . But, she wants me to watch her 3 kids 9,7, and 5months. I don't know what to do. She says it is just for a week, but, she has taken advantage of me in the past. I believe I would watch them until her husband got of work at 10PM. My kids go to bed at 8PM.
we lave for school at 7:20 and school starts at 7:45. My nephews' school starts at 8:30.

I hate to do it and I hate not to do it. I guess I will have to look at our schedule. DH has some meetings so I would be stuck with all 5 every night.

Soccermom- how are the soccer games?
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:29 PM   #219
Ski-and-Sea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsomewhere View Post
The kids got to go back to school today. They are feeling much better.

But, they are not too happy about having to do ALL the homework.

My sister just got a new job . But, she wants me to watch her 3 kids 9,7, and 5months. I don't know what to do. She says it is just for a week, but, she has taken advantage of me in the past. I believe I would watch them until her husband got of work at 10PM. My kids go to bed at 8PM.
we lave for school at 7:20 and school starts at 7:45. My nephews' school starts at 8:30.

I hate to do it and I hate not to do it. I guess I will have to look at our schedule. DH has some meetings so I would be stuck with all 5 every night.

Soccermom- how are the soccer games?
Glad to hear the kids are finally better.

My advice with your sister's kids is this....do not do it. If she has a job then she needs to find the child care. Siblings do not provide free child care. Grandparents can do that should they choose to.

I've found as I'm getting older that I find it easier to just say no. And the excuse you give is "that's just the way things are". You don't need to give an explanation.

You are doing enough with your kids. They are your first priority.

Don't feel guilty about it. I don't think its right for people to impose on you like that.
Aug 2005 Wonder & WDW;
Aug 2006 DCL Double Dip;
Aug 2007 Wonder & WDW;
Old 04-14-2008, 05:07 PM   #220
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Glad to hear the kids are finally better.

My advice with your sister's kids is this....do not do it. If she has a job then she needs to find the child care. Siblings do not provide free child care. Grandparents can do that should they choose to.

I've found as I'm getting older that I find it easier to just say no. And the excuse you give is "that's just the way things are". You don't need to give an explanation.

You are doing enough with your kids. They are your first priority.

Don't feel guilty about it. I don't think its right for people to impose on you like that.
I am probably not going to do it.
I left her a message asking for exact times and dates. I get upset that people just assume I am available for whatever they need since I don't work.

The only reason I fel so bad abou it is.....I would do it for my other sister. But, then again she is a teacher and she does pay for her own day care.

The one who just got a job is going to be the major bread winner in her home. Her DH is going to drop to part-time and stay home with their kids. I think she could wait a few more days to start or just have DH call in sick.
( He is a telemarketer- he hates it. But, it was the only fulltime job he could get when he moved up here in Nov.)

Last summer, I watched (paid for) my DS's best friend. He was great. But, I did not have the freedom to do what I wanted. Alot of times he came with us.
DS loved it. They were "summer brothers".

I have no problem watching kids. We have a few friends that will watch our kids and they will watch ours. We get a night out without having to pay for a sitter.

DH likes to watch all the kids at the same time, even have them spend the night. ONe bedroom full of girls, the other boys.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:47 PM   #221
Ski-and-Sea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am probably not going to do it.
I left her a message asking for exact times and dates. I get upset that people just assume I am available for whatever they need since I don't work.

The only reason I fel so bad abou it is.....I would do it for my other sister. But, then again she is a teacher and she does pay for her own day care.

The one who just got a job is going to be the major bread winner in her home. Her DH is going to drop to part-time and stay home with their kids. I think she could wait a few more days to start or just have DH call in sick.
( He is a telemarketer- he hates it. But, it was the only fulltime job he could get when he moved up here in Nov.)

Last summer, I watched (paid for) my DS's best friend. He was great. But, I did not have the freedom to do what I wanted. Alot of times he came with us.
DS loved it. They were "summer brothers".

I have no problem watching kids. We have a few friends that will watch our kids and they will watch ours. We get a night out without having to pay for a sitter.

DH likes to watch all the kids at the same time, even have them spend the night. ONe bedroom full of girls, the other boys.

I totally agree with your way of thinking. Its one thing when you are in control of the situation and you call the shots. Its another when someone imposes on you and just "assumes" you'll go with it.

And yes, I totally sympathize with the frustration that people think we SAHM moms are available at people's beck and call. Sorry - we work 24/7. We're not doormats.

That's why I never feel guilty about spending the money for DCL vacations. Its how I get "paid".
Aug 2005 Wonder & WDW;
Aug 2006 DCL Double Dip;
Aug 2007 Wonder & WDW;
Old 04-14-2008, 08:07 PM   #222
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I totally agree with your way of thinking. That's why I never feel guilty about spending the money for DCL vacations. Its how I get "paid".
I like how you think.

I have been talking with my neighbor about a girls cruise.

Erik always tells me that I have the hardest job in the world.
I usually take somw mini vacations during the summer with the kids while Erik is working.
I am trying ot talk them into visiting my Dad in Texas. We haven't been there in two years. But, he is coming up here. May go anyways.

I told her no. It wasn't as bad as I thought. Thursday and Friday 9-2.
Her Dh is taking off.
I will be "working" the bookfair at school all week.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:12 PM   #223
Ski-and-Sea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I like how you think.

I have been talking with my neighbor about a girls cruise.

Erik always tells me that I have the hardest job in the world.
I usually take somw mini vacations during the summer with the kids while Erik is working.
I am trying ot talk them into visiting my Dad in Texas. We haven't been there in two years. But, he is coming up here. May go anyways.

I told her no. It wasn't as bad as I thought. Thursday and Friday 9-2.
Her Dh is taking off.
I will be "working" the bookfair at school all week.
Excellent, glad things worked out.

Man, I'd love to do a "girls cruise". Even a 3-night Wonder would be heavenly.

Joiseymom can tell you that most of the DISers on our Wonder cruise last summer were sailing without kids.
Aug 2005 Wonder & WDW;
Aug 2006 DCL Double Dip;
Aug 2007 Wonder & WDW;
Old 04-16-2008, 02:19 PM   #224
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

My kids gave me strep .
The doctor told me to get lots of rest the next couple days.
I guess that means no housework.

Does anyone have any pets?

We have a 9 year old dog- LAb/ Dalmation mix named Spot.
A cat named Cleo.
Matt has a black and white short haired guinea pig named Ghost.
Marina has a long haired black and tan g. pig named Fluffy.

But, I take care of all of them.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:55 PM   #225
kimlam1
Mouseketeer

Hi. We just got off a seven day and rebooked for a double dip for Aug 22nd & 29th. It's myself, DH, DD (10), DD(8) and DS(4) - at time of sailing. Both of my girls are in Girls Scouts - Brownies! They also play soccer, basketball and enjoy swimming and riding their bikes. We have an 11 year old yellow lab. We love doing the fish extenders, magnets, meets, dressing up for pirate night etc. I still have green Mickey heads left over! We have main dining.

I'm really looking forward to getting to know all of you. I'm an infrequent poster as we have a hectic schedule and I work full time, but I'll pop in as often as I can.

Kim
kimlam1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: