Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2012, 06:56 PM   #436
mickeyman42
Earning My Ears

So if i get a microsim, use it for 2 weeks, then use mu regular telus sim when i get back, how much would i have to pay to use my tmobile sim next year? Ie would i have to buy a new sim or pay a fee to reactivate it orwould i just have to pay the per day fee and be assigned a new number?
mickeyman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:34 PM   #437
Maddysdaddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyman42
So if i get a microsim, use it for 2 weeks, then use mu regular telus sim when i get back, how much would i have to pay to use my tmobile sim next year? Ie would i have to buy a new sim or pay a fee to reactivate it orwould i just have to pay the per day fee and be assigned a new number?
The simcard will expire after 90 days unless you top up your account (or put $100 on your account - in which case it won't expire for a year).

Given how much it costs to purchase a travel pack from the big 3, plus the inflated talk/text/data rates they charge, even with these packages, you're still way ahead even if you have to purchase a new sim every trip.
Maddysdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-27-2012, 08:20 AM   #438
fdecker
Mouseketeer

Global travelers notes

1. Have an unlocked GSM Global phone (has all the transceivers for all the frequencies in the different countries. This is usually a quad-band phone)

2. Get a Google Voice number

3. Get a SIM card and a pre-paid card to load up your minutes in whatever country you are in.

4. From now on, only give out your GV number, not your cell number and forward that number to your cell and any other numbers you want.

5. Done

Roaming is just ridiculous, so it makes no sense to try and keep your service when traveling. But if you use a new SIM and prepaid, you can't use your old number while in another country. This is where the google number comes in. Use that as your permanent number and then just forward the calls to whatever phone or phones you are using at the time. Viola, no matter when and where anyone dials you, it will connect to you. Many times, I didn't even use a google number if I was on vacation, I used the phone to make local calls and did not want people from my home country calling me or visa versa.

Blackberry users have an advantage for internet use. Because internet (except for music or video streaming) goes through the RIM servers (BIS), most providers have a flat-fee add-on for unlimited internet. For example, while I was in South Africa, I bought a SIM card for 99 cents. I then bought $30 worth of air time and $10 for a month's worth of connecting to BIS. I was in SA for over a month and used the phone like crazy. I never spent another cent above my $40. I downloaded a lot of apps to my phone and did a ton of browsing, email, Blackberry Messenger, etc, etc.
fdecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:33 PM   #439
mommyof2boys1girl
I shall call him squishy and he shall be mine...and he shall be my squishy.....C'mere, squishy!

So, I know nothing about cell phones, plans, etc... All I know is I want to be able to text dh while in WDW without paying $.25 per text!!!

Dh has a blackberry bold, I have an iphone 3 and we are with Bell (both phones are locked). Can we buy a prepaid phone while down in the US and just use that? Or do we need a US billing address? We just need to be able to communicate and not pay a fortune to do it - in this day and age, why is that so hard??

Anyone have any ideas??

I am disinclined to acquiesce to your request!

Dh Me Ds Logan (11) Ds Adam (9) DD Allie (7)

Pre-Trip Report 2008 - Springtime in Dl for the Wilsons! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1753272
Pre-Trip Report 2010 - It took 2 long years....http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2423621
mommyof2boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:41 PM   #440
dontthrowsand
Mouseketeer

the texting plans from bell aren't bad. I used them in Cuba. Figure out how many texts you will need. If all you are doing is texting, you should be fine.

My Pre-Trip Report: August 2012
dontthrowsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:32 AM   #441
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyof2boys1girl View Post
So, I know nothing about cell phones, plans, etc... All I know is I want to be able to text dh while in WDW without paying $.25 per text!!!

Dh has a blackberry bold, I have an iphone 3 and we are with Bell (both phones are locked). Can we buy a prepaid phone while down in the US and just use that? Or do we need a US billing address? We just need to be able to communicate and not pay a fortune to do it - in this day and age, why is that so hard??

Anyone have any ideas??
As I said above, we just purchased a US phone a few weeks ago. You don't need a US billing address for most of the ones we checked on (actually went into the stores and spoke to the reps).

We bought Metro PCS, and it is no contract. We have set it up for automatic payment off of our credit card, but you don't have to do that. No US billing address is necessary.

You can even set it up through Target if you like, as they have a bunch of prepaid/no contract phones as well.

Good luck, Tiger
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:12 AM   #442
Geodoc
Mouseketeer

BREAKING NEWS for us Canadians...........free Wifi has been turned on at Magic Kingdom park.....others to follow soon.....we will investigate it on Monday Aug 6

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2012/0...out-free-wifi/

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 08-04-2012, 08:44 AM   #443
Kurby
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you. ~Walt Disney

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

We just left yesterday and it wasn't in effect but hopefully it'll get all set up soon

We paid 3 to Skype for unlimited calls to Canada and it was great

We were able to call back home every couple of days and not worry about cost
Kurby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #444
Geodoc
Mouseketeer

Happy to report there was free Disney Wifi at Typhoon lagoon today....this post is coming from there!!!
Old 08-06-2012, 08:41 AM   #445
Geodoc
Mouseketeer

Wifi is online at Magic Kingdom today. Using the mobile magic app on my iPhone!!!! Awesome!!
Old 08-07-2012, 07:31 AM   #446
sare
Earning My Ears

I am so excited about the free wifi! This will allow me to keep in touch with my loved ones at home and send them some photos in real time of me and DBF enjoying the magic. Normally I wouldnt feel compelled to communicate with home in real time, however my family generously donated their airmiles so we could go and they certainly have earned smiling updates with the mouse

Any word of free wifi in other parks? So far I have seen MK and TL.

I have iPhone and had contacted telus and they told me apart from purchasing an add on plan (which Im not doing), the best thing would be to put a data and text block on my phone so I can use the wifi and not worry about 60cent texts incoming. :S
sare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:10 PM   #447
Geodoc
Mouseketeer

Message from Geodoc the intrepid wifi reporter!! Looks like there is free Disney Wifi at Blizzard beach as well. So both water parks and MK are covered as of Aug 11 2012.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:40 AM   #448
fdecker
Mouseketeer

What's the speed?

So an interesting question for those with 4G, have you tried to compare browsing and using apps like "lines" or the Disney magic app? Is the wifi faster even than 4G? I would think it should be, but who knows.
fdecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #449
Geodoc
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdecker
So an interesting question for those with 4G, have you tried to compare browsing and using apps like "lines" or the Disney magic app? Is the wifi faster even than 4G? I would think it should be, but who knows.
I found the wifi speed to be very good. The mobile magic app worked great at MK. For the most part I only needed to sign in once at MK. At the water parks multiple sign ins occurred. I was happy with the wifi service!!
Old 08-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #450
grover
DIS VETERAN
SUPERSCRAPBOOKER
DISNEY ON THE BRAIN
BRIDEZILLA I'M NOT

This is probably a silly question..but I will ask anyways

I won't buy a extra plan for my iphone in order to use it at Disney.
So is this what I should do/anticipate how it will work:

Switch it to airplane mode in order to turn off all the data functions?
When I go into the park the phone will automatically pick up on the wifi when I go to use any of my apps or check my email?

Just want to be sure I do things correctly to avoid any charges.

I am so glad they finally have wifi, Rogers charges a arm and leg for data! Between the wifi at the resorts and the parks I should be totally fine with not buying there travel packs!
POP CENTURY OCT 2004,
POFQ Nov 2006, POP Century 2006,
POFQ May 2009
, POR May 2009, POR Oct 2011, POR Oct 2013, CB Oct 2014, CS Dec 2014

grover is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: