Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2010, 09:40 AM   #346
H-Rad
Earning My Ears

Called fido, the plans are $25 for 10MB, $50 for 25MB, and there is a 3rd, I think it was $100. I went with the $50 so I can use my gps while there. Thanks for the help. Just thought I'd pass the info on.
H-Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:45 PM   #347
mbb
Wishin' & Clappin' & always Believin!
Traumatized by Neil Diamond lyrics as a child
Enjoys the "night sparkles"

We're Bell customers.

Both DH and I have phones, and just added the North America package.

It was $70, no roaming, 75 minutes (I think).
That was for the month of March 2009.

He's on the phone right now, setting it up for our trip to the World for Halloween.

I'll post the particulars.

Register to remove

Old 10-21-2010, 09:10 AM   #348
mbb
Wishin' & Clappin' & always Believin!
Traumatized by Neil Diamond lyrics as a child
Enjoys the "night sparkles"

$80 for both phones..
100 minutes

Price went up a little, but so did minutes.
Easy - works for me

Old 10-21-2010, 09:36 PM   #349
petbren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbb View Post
$80 for both phones..
100 minutes

Price went up a little, but so did minutes.
Easy - works for me

So that is $80 total for both phones?
Does that include text and/or browser use?

DH and I both have blackberrys we are hoping to set up with Bell for our trip too.
AKV-KIDANI 2014 Fantasy E.Carib.20132011 HHI 2011 BWV 2009 BCV/OKW for F&W Festival, 2008 AKV,2007 1st trip home BWV 2006 Pop Century 2004 Polynesian 1991 Caribbean Beach Resort 1982 Off Site 1977 Off Site
petbren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:18 AM   #350
Camilo
1992 (WDW) 1998 (WDW and DLR) 2006 (WDW) 2007 (DLR) 2010 and 2011 (WDW) and 2013 (DCL Wonder)

I just came back from Disney this week.
Before I went, I stopped by a Fido store. They wanted 40.00 to allow me to talk for 70 minutes while there (too little for me).
I decided not to take my cell phone with me and bought an LG one one from Net10 at a Walmart SuperCenter in Buffalo.
Phone costed me 15.00 (there were more expensive models) and it came with 100 minutes to USA or 67 minutes internationally (which would allow me to call Canada and Brazil forthe same rate - .15 per minute).
I brought another card for 20.00 for extra 200 minutes and had a total of 300 USA minutes or 200 international minutes for U$ 37.00 total price taxes in.
I came back with 40 minutes left and the phone is mine to keep for whenever I decide to fly there again (although they will give me a new number then, I don't care about keeping the number).
The sales guy at Walmart activated for me, it was totally worth it.

Camilo
Camilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:10 AM   #351
wdwexpert
Earning My Ears

Cell phone use

We have an unlocked World phone and intended to buy a US SIM card for our stay and it was a nightmare.

Due to the cheapness of cell phones in the US, almost none of the US cell phone carriers sell SIM cards. We went to four cell phone suppliers in Syracuse on our way down and after an hour and a half of frustration, went to Best Buy and bought a disposable cell phone for $30.00 (including 300 minutes!).

While it is a difficult task to activate it (you have to use another line to activate it...hotel phone...) once it was working it worked well for us to communicate with the other family we were travelling with who already had a US cell phone.

We used NETZero the first time and our international calling never did work. You have to have the company enable international calling and something happened so we could never phone home. But, home could call us, and, you can get a free Canadian phone number with your US cell phone, so your Canadian family can call a Canadian phone number when they are calling you on your US phone so there are no long distance charges.

Most recently we bought two Tracphones (brand name) which worked out just fine.

We have a Rogers phone as well, and despite paying additional money for US minutes you still pay roaming charges which WILL add up. we just turn ours off.

We are considering a phone plan on the two tracphones since I shop in Watertown and Syracuse regularly and we travel to Disney at least twice a year. We can get a family plan for the two phones for $14.99 per month total, no contract. Phones are SO MUCH CHEAPER in the US...

You can buy these dispoable phones at US Best Buy, Walmart, Sam's Clubs, Target, etc. Cheap and cheerful but difficult to activate, you must make the time to do it properly so that all of your calling features are activated.

Sorry to be so long winded...cell phones trials in Disney has been a long process for us!

Vacationing at Walt Disney World since 1979
Annual Passholder
DVC Associate Member

Resorts:

Fort Wilderness Cabins & Campsites 12x
Wilderness Lodge 4x
Bay Lake Tower 1x
Animal Kingdom Lodge 1x
Caribbean Beach Resort 1x
Pop Century 1x
All Star Music 3x
wdwexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:21 PM   #352
kevinedenmarg
Earning My Ears

Hi friends,
I bought this phone last Christmas challenge. In fact, I bought two. One for me and my then 15 years old step daughter, and I have a little less expensive to buy with my credit card at the time.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:11 PM   #353
romburgundy
Earning My Ears

we picked up a $30 phone as well from an FYE store (like HMV) it came with a prepaid 300 min cardand we used it for an entire week calling and texting home. lent it to a friend who went to Florida and it came back with minutes to spare.
romburgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:45 PM   #354
Susan R
Mouseketeer

On Property?

I've scanned as much of this post as I can so if it's already been asked I'm sorry!

Is there a place on Disney property that I can buy on the the "Cheap" phones that people are buying from Wal-Mart? I don't have access to a car while I'm down there.

Thanks for any info,
Susan
Susan R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:38 PM   #355
pampam
DIS Veteran

I can't really answer your question, although I doubt very seriously that cheap phones are available on site. However, if you don't have a car, just take the bus to MK, take the ferry or monorail to TTC and catch the #56 Lynx bus. It goes down hwy#192 past Walgreens, Publix, etc to a Walmart. It's about a 40 minute bus ride.
pampam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:45 PM   #356
Susan R
Mouseketeer

Thanks pampam! That's a good option but I don't know if I want to spend a couple of hours out of my Disney time to go to Wal-Mart. I thought there might be a store in DTD or maybe MCO that might have some for sale. I'll probably just shell out the $40/100 minutes on my Bell Blackberry...after all it will be a lot cheaper than calling home collect and getting the $200 phone bill that I had a few years ago!

SusanR
Susan R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:26 AM   #357
pampam
DIS Veteran

Here's another idea. Go to No Frills, Value Mart etc., and pick up a Presidents Choice long distance card. It's 4 cents a minute long distance. You can call home from a pay phone or your own room. We use it all the time. A $10 phone card lasts us for a 3 week vacation calling home once or twice a day.
pampam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:33 PM   #358
glendalais
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan R View Post
Thanks pampam! That's a good option but I don't know if I want to spend a couple of hours out of my Disney time to go to Wal-Mart. I thought there might be a store in DTD or maybe MCO that might have some for sale. I'll probably just shell out the $40/100 minutes on my Bell Blackberry...after all it will be a lot cheaper than calling home collect and getting the $200 phone bill that I had a few years ago!

SusanR
I believe there's a store that sells prepaid phones at the airport. Near the Food Court, I want to say.

There's certainly nothing on Disney property, except for perhaps at the Hess Express gas stations.

Former Disneyland Resort Cast Member

The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company and Affiliated Companies, nor of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc..
glendalais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:14 PM   #359
stefanospops
DIS Veteran

As a DVC member I have free Internet as a perk when I am in the room. So I bought a Magic Jack for $40 and it gives my unlimited calling to anywhere in North America. All I need is a computer to connect it to which I bring anyways since I have the free Internet. Just plug the hotel phone into the Magic Jack and I get to keep the same number. I turn my cell phone off and return any calls when back in the room. Works like a charm.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:32 PM   #360
Kurby
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you. ~Walt Disney

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

that's a good idea about the magic jack.

we have skype and for 2 bucks a month we get unlimited North American calls. if we paid more we could get a number associated to our account but we don't need to.

we use skype to make clear phone calls whenever we are away in NA.

I don't know if it will work when we're in London next year but we'll try it and see
Kurby is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: