Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2014, 06:01 AM   #1
smashing
Earning My Ears

Watertown, NY

Not Disney related but thought I would throw it out there.
We are leaving on Saturday from central Ontario to drive to NYC. The original plan was to leave Sunday and drive straight there. Now we gave desired to leave Saturday and try to drive about 4 hours and finish the last 5 hours of the drive on Sunday (this is the first long driving trip with our kids and our son gets overwhelmed and stressed very easily). We can't leave until mid afternoon to early evening due to work. So were talking about staying overnight in Watertown, NY. Can anyone give any insight to this town. Is it generally a safe place for 2 women and 2 young kids to stop at night? It's myself, my Mom and my 6 and 8 year old kids. Is there an area or hotel we should be avoiding? We have not booked anything and aren't sure if we should or not incase we don't make it that far on Saturday or end up being able to make it further

If we do make it is the shopping there good? I hear a lot of Canadians go there for cross boarder shopping. Just wondering if its worth stopping and getting on the road a bit later Sunday to hit the mall first . We are also going to try to hit the Bergen outlet Mall in New Jersey.

Thanks!!
smashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:06 AM   #2
megf06
Earning My Ears

I am about 4 hours away from there, but visit there a few times a year. It is definitely safe. There is a nice mall and some newer hotels and lots of new restaurants near the mall (salmon run mall). Everything is kind of focused in a central area of a few miles. Some free standing stores nearby too, like kohls and tj maxx, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
megf06 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-09-2014, 07:28 AM   #3
ccudmore
DIS Veteran

Watertown has really boomed in the last few years with the expansion of nearby Fort Drum. Seems to be fairly safe and has all of the major shops you'd expect to see everywhere.
ccudmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:59 AM   #4
smashing
Earning My Ears

Thank you! It looks like a nice little town so sounds like it will be a good place for the night.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:21 PM   #5
Lanie
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't worry at all, we stop there a few times a year and even when I'm without my hubby I still fee safe.
First Trip May 2004:All Stars Movies - Engagement Trip September 2005:Best Western Movieland & All Stars Movies - First F&W as well as MNSSHP September 2006:Port Orleans French Quarters - Honeymoon October 2007:Sandals Royal Bahamian & Animal Kingdom Lodge - DVC Buying Trip August 2008:POP Century - Our first cruise and MVMCP December 2009:Caraibbean Beach and the Magic - Liam's First WDW Trip December 2011:Poly and Kidani Village - Liam's First Cruise April 2012: Western Caribbean on the Fantasy - Blaire's First WDW Trip October 2012:All Stars Movies - Lexie's First WDW Trip March 2014:Bay Lake Towers

Lanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:52 PM   #6
smashing
Earning My Ears

Awesome, thanks! This is the first time traveling without my hubby with the kids. So I find I'm stressing out a bit more
Old 09-13-2014, 02:09 PM   #7
iceprincesskcl
Mouseketeer

I live an hour from Watertown, we go VERY OFTEN, it's safe. Look for hotels off arsenal street, there is a Holiday Inn Express and a Ramada at the mentioned exit!

iceprincesskcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:20 PM   #8
Nagle
Proud Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceprincesskcl View Post
I live an hour from Watertown, we go VERY OFTEN, it's safe. Look for hotels off arsenal street, there is a Holiday Inn Express and a Ramada at the mentioned exit!
We are about an hour from Watertown also and visit regularly. In addition to the hotels, there have been quite a few restaurants opened in the last year or so. Mostly chains but food is good and priced right. Same exit as the hotels mentioned earlier.
Chipotle
Five Guys
CiCis pizza
Moes
Sonic
Buffalo Wild Wings
All within sight of I81.
Nagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:18 PM   #9
a*lil*bit*goofy
If only I had a brain! :O/
Oh wow now i am even more excited for the odd nights

I am an hour and a half from Watertown, go quite often. A decent but well priced place is Comfort Inn and Suites. There are also quite a few hotels within walking distance of there. You will be fine. :O)

I went last weekend and tried a slushie at Sonic...and added Nerds candy to it. I recommend. LOL also Olive Garden is there , some great food and deals on now! Some shopping if you wanted to indulge otherwise its a great place to stop en route

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: