Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 11:12 AM   #1
archdandy
DIS Veteran

How much should I budget for tolls?

We are coming from about 20 minutes north of Barrie, Ontario and taking the border across Detroit and then driving the I75 the whole way. How much should I budget for tolls? We've never driven before and I want to make sure I have enough for both ways.

October 2013 Port Orleans Resort
May 2013 Animal Kingdom Kidani
October 2012 Art of Animation
January 2012 Port Orleans Resort
June 2011 Coronado Springs
September 2010 All Star Sports
archdandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM   #2
Skjhjb
Mouseketeer

When we drove in May, I don't recall it being huge amounts. I think the border was $5, and then nothing much until we got to the Florida turnpike, and then it was less than $5 or so I'm pretty sure.
Second Trip - POR May 13-19/2014!!!
Skjhjb is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old Yesterday, 10:04 PM   #3
smashing
Earning My Ears

Would love to hear how your drive goes. We are also 20 min north of Barrie but worried about how long the drive is.
smashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:19 AM   #4
Bertie9396
Mouseketeer

I am from Barrie. Last time we drove was 2011 and took I-75. If memory serves me correctly, we left Barrie on Thursday around 5 am. Car was fully gassed up an ready to go and snacks and drinks were in the cooler in the back with DD. Took 407/401/402 and crossed at Sarnia Blue Water Bridge around 8:30 or 9 - yes we made FANTASTIC time and beat all rush hour traffic. We had no wait at the border. Stopped 3 or 4 times for gas/pee/snack/stretch breaks. If we had to do one, we tried to do them all. Finally stopped in Clinton, TN for the evening around 5 or 6 pm. Swim, dinner, sleep and back on the road around 4:30 am. We took a slower pace because we were TIRED but were checked into our hotel room and sitting by the pool eating pizza before 6 p.m. When we go this year we are taking an extra day though to do the drive down and to account for traffic and bad weather.

I don't remember spending a lot of money on tolls at all. I think I had $20 worth of American change in my little coin purse I kept in the car for just tolls and we didn't use it all.

On the way home we stopped at the Cumberland Inn in Williamsburg, KY. We loved it and will definitely stop there on our next trip.

Bertie9396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:00 AM   #5
smashing
Earning My Ears

I'm from the Barrie area too . Not sure we are brave enough to drive it yet. But maybe when the kids are older and we can explore things on the way too
Have a great trip!
Old Today, 10:02 AM   #6
smashing
Earning My Ears

I tried to post last night but it didn't work ( some error came up). Then I posted this morning and both posted appeared. Sorry for the double post LOL.
Old Today, 02:22 PM   #7
zoicca
Earning My Ears

We rented a car in Orlando, stayed in Disney for a week and then spent a week in Miami and Fort Lauderdale. The car rental agency recommended we rent a device that auto-pays the tolls, and they would just pass the charge on to us. She said there were lots of tolls and that this would save us a lot of time because we can just drive through, plus we didn't need to worry about exact change.

We went through 1 toll the entire time. We weren't driving from Ontario, but still, we didn't encounter any tolls.

If I had to guess, I would say that a budget of $50 ($25 each way) would be plenty.
zoicca is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: