Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2014, 09:54 PM   #1
peekkaboo
Earning My Ears

Disney's Magical Express Question

Hi,

I am a little confused, we are taking Westjet from Toronto Pearson Airport to Orlando International Airport. We are using Disney's Magical Express bus to our resort. On the Disney's website, where they have all the info about Magical Express, it says something like upon arrival we have to claim our luggages and bring it over to the Magical Express center for them to bring it to our resort? But a friend of a friend who recently went to Disney (also from departed from Pearson airport) told me she checked in her luggage at Pearson and didn't see her luggage again until she got to her resort.

So, my question is, for those of you who know, do I skip the claiming my luggage part and just go straight to the Magical Express bus? I guess the idea of claiming your luggage is to go through customs? But do we do that at Pearson in Canada? so therefore won't have to when we arrive in Orlando?
peekkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:44 PM   #2
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

If you go thru Pearson you will preclear Customs there. Make sure you have your DME tags on your bags. You do not need to pick up your bags at all. They will be delivered to your WDW resort about 3_4 hours after you check in.

However if you are flying into the US from a Canadian city that does not have preclearance (not common nowadays), if you are flying in from any other country, OR IF YOU ARRIVE AFTER TEN O'CLOCK AT NIGHT, you will then have to claim your own bags before getting on the bus.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-22-2014, 12:22 AM   #3
peekkaboo
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
If you go thru Pearson you will preclear Customs there. Make sure you have your DME tags on your bags. You do not need to pick up your bags at all. They will be delivered to your WDW resort about 3_4 hours after you check in.

However if you are flying into the US from a Canadian city that does not have preclearance (not common nowadays), if you are flying in from any other country, OR IF YOU ARRIVE AFTER TEN O'CLOCK AT NIGHT, you will then have to claim your own bags before getting on the bus.
So as long as I am departing from Pearson, I should be fine? we are schedule to arrive in Orlando at 1:30pm Thanks!
peekkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:19 AM   #4
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peekkaboo View Post
So as long as I am departing from Pearson, I should be fine? we are schedule to arrive in Orlando at 1:30pm Thanks!
Yes, no need to pick up your luggage. Just make sure your yellow resort tags are on your luggage.
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:30 PM   #5
Orph
Earning My Ears

Thank you for sharing your experience everyone. I have the exact same question, but now it is a little clearer thanks to everyone's info.

Is there a way to confirm that my luggage will be picked up by DME? Dont want to be an idiot and leave my luggage at Orlando Airport by accident.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:05 PM   #6
Maddysdaddy
DIS Veteran

One thought for you to consider - if you have your luggage sent directly to the resort, there may/will be a significant time lag between when you arrive and when your luggage shows up.

If you're the type of person (like I am) that immediately wants to take a shower/change my clothes after getting off a flight, you may want to consider not tagging your bags and just picking them up off the carousel and taking them with you on the bus.
Maddysdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:07 AM   #7
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orph View Post
Is there a way to confirm that my luggage will be picked up by DME? Dont want to be an idiot and leave my luggage at Orlando Airport by accident.
As long as your yellow resort tags are on your luggage, your bags will magically appear in your room.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:10 AM   #8
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddysdaddy View Post
One thought for you to consider - if you have your luggage sent directly to the resort, there may/will be a significant time lag between when you arrive and when your luggage shows up.

If you're the type of person (like I am) that immediately wants to take a shower/change my clothes after getting off a flight, you may want to consider not tagging your bags and just picking them up off the carousel and taking them with you on the bus.
I think it also depends on when you arrive. We typically arrive late morning/early afternoon and we have never had a room ready for us at that time. So for us, there is no point in picking up our luggage at the airport.

We just pack our swimsuits in our carry ons and plan to swim, go to DTD, or hit the parks when we arrive.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:42 AM   #9
chelseabun76
Mouseketeer

Because of my sisters last experience with late arriving luggage, we are packing one full change of clothes, toothbrushes, etc. in our carry-ons just in case we don't see our luggage for awhile.... best to be prepared. I loved that we didn't have to deal with claiming our baggage, etc. it's a great perk!
chelseabun76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:56 AM   #10
DVCALMA
Earning My Ears

Just a reminder that if you arrive before 10 pm you do not have to be overly concerned about your DME bag tags. I booked a vacation with very short lead time, 4 days prior to MCO arrival, and we could not possibly receive our DME package. We just went to the DME counter and presented our airline luggage claim tags and they can pick them up with those. Long delivery times to your room is a bigger concern. It can take many hours.
DVCALMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:16 AM   #11
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseabun76 View Post
Because of my sisters last experience with late arriving luggage, we are packing one full change of clothes, toothbrushes, etc. in our carry-ons just in case we don't see our luggage for awhile.... best to be prepared. I loved that we didn't have to deal with claiming our baggage, etc. it's a great perk!
Packing a change of clothes and toiletries in your carry-on luggage is simply smart traveling no matter where you are travelling to. Nothing worse than finding out that the airline has misplaced your luggage and it will be a day or 2 until you are reunited.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #12
TagsMissy
Counting down the days... It's not always easy being the wife of a soldier.

Quote:
Irrelevant of Pearson; if you leave from any Canadian airport and pre-clear customs you don't need to collect luggage. One of the things I love about DME
79-95 Numerous Disneyland Trips/98 POFQ /08 POR/09 POR, SSR/AKV Kidani & BLT/11 BWV & BLT/12 Aulani & Disneyland Club 33/13 DL Club 33/Wonder & BLT/BWV/14 AKV Jambo/VWL & DL Friend's Wedding Celebration/15 DCL Fantasy Eastern Caribbean

TagsMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:04 PM   #13
peekkaboo
Earning My Ears

Thanks ladies! Now I dont gotta worry about my luggage after checking them in
Old 09-05-2014, 10:17 AM   #14
TagsMissy
Counting down the days... It's not always easy being the wife of a soldier.

Quote:
Thanks ladies! Now I dont gotta worry about my luggage after checking them in
Have a great trip when you go!
79-95 Numerous Disneyland Trips/98 POFQ /08 POR/09 POR, SSR/AKV Kidani & BLT/11 BWV & BLT/12 Aulani & Disneyland Club 33/13 DL Club 33/Wonder & BLT/BWV/14 AKV Jambo/VWL & DL Friend's Wedding Celebration/15 DCL Fantasy Eastern Caribbean

TagsMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:00 PM   #15
hdrolfe
Earning My Ears

Very glad I saw this! And hoping it works from Ottawa Travelling with my 5-year-old son in January and was worried about having to manage our suitcases, carry-ons, and not lose him lol. If I can "forget" the checked bags... so much easier! I thought it only worked within the US so am very happy now.
hdrolfe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: