Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2007, 07:51 AM   #31
rabilodeau
Earning My Ears

Shuttle launch

Seen a few launches. The best was this year during school break. This was the one that went up at night. We were at EPCOT and you could hear a pin drop while everyone looked up to See the shuttle. It lit up the hole area. It was amazing..

Traffic will be heaviest the closer you get to the space center. You do not have to be that close to get a good view. try a beach 10 /20 miles away. If you don't mind the traffic get there early (Any where along the sea shore) and spend a few hours after the launch having a picnic.

I do it to say "Been there, done that, whats next"

Have fun
rabilodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:21 PM   #32
BPCooper
Mouseketeer

If it was this year and at night, it wasn't the shuttle. The only nighttime shuttle launch in the last five years was Dec. 9, 2006, at 8:47pm.

My guide for viewing launches from Cape Canaveral:
http://www.launchphotography.com/Lau...formation.html
BPCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-30-2007, 07:53 PM   #33
Eeyore's My Favorite
EW Disney Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopymom View Post
Thanks everyone for the info.

I'd also like to know if there is somewhere besideds Disney in Orlando or even 30 minutes out that would be a good spot?
I live in a small town the south end of Volusia County & can actually see the launches from my home. We always watch it crest the top of the trees. But if you want to see spectacular without crowds you could try watching it from either the beach at New Smyrna Beach or one of the beaches in Daytona Beach. You'd probably miss the crowds - you'll still feel the rumble, but you won't feel the heat from the launch pad like you would at KSC. You will be able to see the shuttle til it's way down range from the actual launch site. JMHO..............

Well - the AP's have run out so it's time to begin saving again for the big 30th Wedding Anniversary Celebration.

AKL, CBR, WL, POP, POR, ASMo, ASMu, AS Sports, Fort Wilderness -1973-Grad Night : 1st WDW visit the year it opened!!
Eeyore's My Favorite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:05 AM   #34
Lyons Family
Mouseketeer

We were at Chef Mickeys in the Contemporary when I remembered the launch. I went to the Bar to get drinks and the bartender goes The shuttle will take off in 5 min. I went and got my husband and daughter. From the bar TV behind us and looking out the windows east we saw the tv launch on live and saw the shuttle rise above the tree line about 5 sec. later. Even though we were about 40 miles ? away it was awesome.

WDW Wilderness Lodge 2001
WDW Wilderness Lodge 2004
WDW Wilderness Lodge 2005
Eastern Magic 7 Day Cruise 2006
WDW Grand Floridian 2007
Western Mariner of the Sea August 2008
Hawaii land vacation 2009
Freedom of the Seas Western Carribean 2010
WDW Grand Floridian June 2011
Freedom of the Seas Western Carribean 2012
Allure of the Seas Western Carribean 2013
WDW Wilderness Lodge 2014
Lyons Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:27 AM   #35
CanadianGuy

Me and My Posse doing our New Kids on the Block moves at PI

DISboards Moderator

What a great thread.. I'm going to sticky this till Thursday.. Cuz I bet lots of people will be asking.

Knox

06/1995 - All Star Music | 11/1998 - Wilderness Lodge | 10/1999 - Disneyland
06/2006 - Pop Century | 03/2007 - Pop Century | 06/2007 - Coronado Springs
12/2007 - All Star Sports | 06/2008 - Pop Century | 09/2008 - All Star Sports
06/2010 - Swan | 06/2012 - Dolphin | 01/2013 - All Star Sports

CanadianGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:33 AM   #36
BPCooper
Mouseketeer

The countdown for launch of Shuttle Atlantis on mission STS-122, the 121st flight of the space shuttle program, will begin at 7:00pm EST Monday at the T-43 hour mark. The countdown includes about 24 hours of built in holds leading up to launch at 4:31:44pm EST Thursday (+/- a few seconds).

The early weather outlook looks very favorable.

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/sts122/071130frr/

This website will provide live updates in their "mission status center" leading up to launch. You can also view it live on NASA TV (www.nasa.gov/ntv) and on all three cable news channels.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:48 PM   #37
mickiecake
I TOLD you not to eat that McDonald's crap!!!

When to buy tickets??

I have a question about shuttle launches.. We want to go to the one on Feb 14th.. how will I know when tickets go on sale? Will it be on the website? If they sell out in 2 minutes, I guess I need to be on the ball!!
mickiecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 04:55 PM   #38
BPCooper
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickiecake View Post
I have a question about shuttle launches.. We want to go to the one on Feb 14th.. how will I know when tickets go on sale? Will it be on the website? If they sell out in 2 minutes, I guess I need to be on the ball!!
http://kennedyspacecenter.stores.yah.../stspshat.html

Click sign up for launch info and you will get an email about a week before they go on sale:

http://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/eventSignUp.asp

Yes, all of the causeway tickets sell out in minutes so you have to be ready and prepared. Visitors complex tickets (cannot see the pad itself from there) tend to remain on sale almost all the way to launch.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:52 PM   #39
melissac
DIS Veteran

We were at WDW Dec 9th, 2006 and were taking a illumination cruise that night. The boat driver met us early and took us out so we could see the launch before the fireworks. It was really neat. I'm sure it would be better closer up but it was cool to see. We will be there again for this launch. We will hopefully be able to see something. Not like a night launch though. The whole horizon lights up. It was amazing.

Offsite 1978, DL offsite 1991 NYE, WDW offsite 1995, CBC and DC 2001, POFQ 2006, Purchased DVC 2006, OKW May 2007, CBC Dec. 2007, SSR Jan. 2008,OKW Oct 2008, AS Movies Jan 2009, HRH & THV Oct 2009, BWV Sept 2010, RPR, SSR & OKW Jan 2011, OKW & DLR Dec 2012, OKW Oct 2013
melissac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 07:36 PM   #40
Whosemom
DIS Veteran

Wow, things have changed. We were there in 99? (by the looks of my kid in the pics). We had free tickets to get to a certain spot on KSC. Then it kept raining out. We drove from WDW 3 or 4 times to try to see it. I do NOT remember traffic being a big deal even the first time (but we were very excited, so I could just have dimissed that part). Anyway, the final and succesful time, there was a lot out on the causeway that paying folks could go to, but they let in the free tickets too. It was excellent!

Whosemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:57 PM   #41
Universal-Excitement
I'm the one person Universal hates more then Disney...

You are in luck, I live litterally right off NASA property so I get a really great view right from my yard...

Any place off US1 in Titusville on the Indian River is idea... you'd have to leave REALLY EARLY in the morning to get a good spot... on launch days if I don't have to go out, I don't because it's insane. I remember back in 2006 for the debut of Universal 360 on July 1st the shuttle was suppose to go off, but it got scrubbed... and the show didn't start until 8:45 I believe it was... so I decided to leave at 6pm... the launch was scrubbed at like 11am... and I got about 20 miles and 528 was PACKED... I figured no one would take 50 because of the lights so I went to 50... I got to Christmas and it was PACKED... so I couldn't go that day... since the 2nd was scrubbed for weather later that day I was able to go into Orlando to see Universal 360...

However that story is a reminder how bad traffic will be for anyone coming in and going out to a launch... and if that many people are coming in... then spots get taken FAST! There is a park at the end of my street and people actually bring tents out there and sleep there over night just to watch a launch... I am use to the launches, I've seen hundreds of them so I guess I don't know how important it is to actually travel to see one... but people really do go all out to get good spots...

But on US1 in Titusville across from the Walgreens there is a great viewing spot, there is also a little fishing pier you could go down so you are litterally on the water for pictures of the launch. People go to Jetty Park (Which is a beach at Port Canaveral) but I never like the launches from there, you are closer off the Indian River... Another good place would be Sand Point Park off US1 and 402... but PARKING IS REALLY LIMITED... there are only like 20 parking spots on that strip off the highway... but it's the CLOSEST you'll get to to seeing it for free... you could go to NASA and buy a launch ticket and they'll take you out on to East NASA Causeway and you'll have a better view.. you'll only be like mile closer there then you would be if you seen it from Sand Point Park and you wouldn't be out the $80 or more dollars NASA charges...

Hopefully that helped.

Mike
Universal-Excitement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:53 AM   #42
BPCooper
Mouseketeer

The tickets get you much closer. Titusville, even at Spaceview and Sandpoint parks, is 12 miles from 39A while the causeway is 6.5 to 7.5 miles and the visitors complex is 7.4.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:50 AM   #43
BPCooper
Mouseketeer

The official Launch Weather Forecast for Thursday is calling for good conditions with just a 20% of violation and partly cloudy skies.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:59 PM   #44
Ladybug514
Earning My Ears

Launch Tickets

While this may not help the op, if you are interested in going to actually see a shutter launch, one person that may be able to help you is your US Senator. I worked in a Senate office for a summer and one of our biggests request were launch tickets. You have to plan way in advance and be flexible but many people are not aware of this service! Representatives might also have this, I'm not sure, but def. call your Senator's Office!
Ladybug514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:50 PM   #45
ExBellhop
Vice President of Spider-Man

I've seen 3 launches in my life, from 3 very different vantage points.

1) My first time was at Jetty Park. We spent a whole morning out there, only to have the launch scrubbed. Then we came back the next day and had success. You can really *feel* the launch from here, as well as hearing the thunder from the boosters. Its a good alternative (I think) to being right there.

2) I was working Fantasmic! during a night launch. I still get chills down my spine as I remember the glow erupting from behind the F! Mountain, and then 8500+ people break out into cheers and applause as the rocket goes up, from right behind the Mountain. Awesome.

3) Probably the most underrated, but still a viable spot... I happened to be picking my wife (then girlfriend) up from the Orlando Airport. I purposely parked on the very top of the garage so that she'd get to see it go off after she landed. Not the best view, but it works if you're looking for somewhere to go...

Thanks for reading : )
ExBellhop

No trips scheduled at this time. Watch this space for new details soon!

ExBellhop is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: