Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2007, 02:24 PM   #16
Brian_WDW74
Theme Parks Co-Moderator
Oh, I'm detecting nuttiness.

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygirlinnj View Post
does anyone know where to watch the launch from Epcot?
The shuttle rises from behind the Mexico pavilion, so it's best to be on the other side of the World Showcase Lagoon to see it. My favorite spot is from the Rose and Crown at the United Kingdom pavilion, but I'd say just about anywhere from the UK to Japan would be good.

Brian_WDW74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:26 PM   #17
Lintasare
Holy
Hello. My name is Inigo Peeptoya...you ate my father...prepare to die
Ok fess up...who killed the riddle?

I remember when I was a CP I saw a launch from the cast parking lot at MGM. It was right after Illuminations because I remember watching the Illuminations fireworks over the trees while waiting for my ride. Right after the Illuminations fireworks ended I saw this bright ball of light go up, at first we thought it was one final firework but it just kept going. That was when we realized the space shuttle was going up. We missed our bus because we were watching it. It was really kinda cool.

Lintasare is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-26-2007, 03:50 PM   #18
rkandmjsmommy
2006: A year for letters....
A.A., RN, DVC-BCV, and a T.F.'s TAG
I never say anything tagworthy on a tag day
I still get giddy when I see neon...

We will be at MK on Dec 6 and hope to get a glimpse, it might be boring but I think it will be cool to see it
Old 11-26-2007, 04:06 PM   #19
BPCooper
Mouseketeer

Shuttle Atlantis is scheduled to lift off on Dec. 6 at 4:31:44pm EST (exact second will be refined by launch day). This is the middle of an exactly ten minute long. Atlantis on mission STS-122 will deliver the long-awaited European Columbus science laboratory module to the international space station.

It is well worth it to go and see the shuttle launch, regardless of traffic or even if you can't get the absolute closest. There are just 13 shuttle launches left; everyone should get to see it once.

http://www.launchphotography.com/Shu...h_Viewing.html

This guide will give you a rundown on viewing the launch. Titusville is the closest offsite (free) location at 12 miles away.

The closest viewing is 6.5 to 7.5 miles from the NASA causeway but those tickets (tickets only since 9/11, unfortunately; it used to be free) are long sold out. However, tickets to view from the Visitors Complex at 7.4 miles from the pad are still available at www.KennedySpaceCenter.com. The only asterisk is that the pad itself is not visible from the VC.

Please note: kennedyspacecenter.com is NOT a NASA website and the information on there is not always accurate or up to date.

The best website for launch dates from the Cape is:
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/tracking/

Good site to bookmark. They will also, starting early next week, begin to provide daily updates and a "mission status center" with play by play of the launch. It is a great place to check to see if the launch is ontime, the official weather forecast, etc.

From Titusville, at 12 miles, it is easily visible and you will hear it easily but do not go expecting a deafening roar. More appropriately, you should ask yourself "how many things can you hear from 12 miles away at all?" The shuttle's roar is clear from there. It shows just how powerful and amazing it is to send an 18-story building into space. (If you could get to the causeway, it is much much louder).

If the sound is more important than the setting, then the Visitors Complex may be better for you. It will be much louder there than Titusville. It also provides you with things to do during the day, though, yes, it will be crowded on launch day (like Disney ;-)

I hope you try! Good luck and feel free to ask any more questions.

Hope this helps everyone.

My guide for viewing launches from Cape Canaveral:
http://www.launchphotography.com/Lau...formation.html

Last edited by BPCooper; 11-29-2007 at 12:32 PM.
BPCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 04:56 PM   #20
cat1258
Earning My Ears

We saw Columbia's launch from Titusville in 1996. It was the coolest thing to see it in person. There was a man there who had worked for NASA for years and told us lots of things about the shuttle and the launch. He told us when to expect the sound of the launch, and when the solid rocket boosters would fall. We still have the video we shot and the t-shirts with the mission number and Columbia on them. It's something my family will always remember, especially given what happened to Columbia a few years later.
cat1258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:15 PM   #21
IwasatWDWforamonth
Has a sweetie named Hope
I couldn't imagine not hopping
My cockatoo ate one of my moms darvocet and turned into a cereal bar

I will just say that I think that it is worth the hassle to get closer, of course this is coming from a girl who looks for the space shuttle while it flys over michigan at 2am.

but any how, I would make the trip to space park in titusville.

we did the nasa causeway thing for the past launch October 23rd, and I'd do it all over again, it was really cloudy so that kind of limited our view but it was still worth it.

Its just hard to get tickets, they were gone in 2 minutes, I just got in.

Im a fun nut
IwasatWDWforamonth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:25 PM   #22
Seahunt
DIS Veteran

Here's a picture from the Ponce Inlet lighthouse (Daytona Beach) of a night launch:

I think everyone should go to a launch at least one time if you are close to the area. We are lucky as we can just step out our front door and watch the shuttles rocket trail across the sky when they head off (and Atlas rocket launches too) - they are many miles away of course, and it takes about 5 mins for the rumbling sound wave to arrive clear up here in Daytona! (And depending on their trajectory coming home, sometimes we get the double sonic booms - scary loud!

BTW you can also go to the "youtube" website and look at shuttle launches in Titusville to see what they look like so you can decide if you want to drive over. If we're going down we usually go to the park but I know the TV reporters during the last shuttle launch said they were at a bar called "New York New York" in Titusville and they said it was undiscovered for the great launch view from there, but maybe that's a little too rowdy for families

There are also lots of tours available - you can even take a boat tour and watch the shuttle launch from the water. If anyone is a real space fan, Gray Line has a super launch experience with pick up at your Orlando hotel for $115pp - here's the info:

This is our closest view possible for the launch of Space Shuttle! The tour includes round-trip transportation from your Orlando-area hotel to Kennedy Space Center, admission to Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex, Launch Viewing Ticket for the special NASA Causeway viewing site, and a souvenir t-shirt. This is the ultimate package for any space buff and guarantees the closest view possible for a member of the public - the NASA Causeway only NASA officials, press and invited dignitaries are allowed closer.
You will be able to see the Space Shuttle on the launch pad from only 6 miles away! This is very close allowing you to see the liftoff and feel the powerful rumble of the shuttle’s massive engines. The view is across a beautiful natural waterfront area in so you’ll definitely want your camera or binoculars!

Collapsible umbrella-style chairs and blankets can be brought along but no folding sun chairs are permitted. It is an open causeway area with no seating but it is the best view on property. There will be a launch countdown on the public address system. There is no refund should the launch be scrubbed on the day of the tour.

For the launch day there will be no standard access tickets allowed on Kennedy Space Center property and there will also be no onsite ticket sales, the only way people will get to view the launch is with the pre-booked programs.

You will have a maximum access badge so take advantage of the time in KSC to see the exhibits, IMAX movies or visit the space shop. This is a fantastic opportunity to be within a limited number of people who will have this opportunity. A souvenir t-shirt will be provided to remind you of the day you went to Kennedy Space Center and had the opportunity to see the shuttle lift off!

This is a long day so we don’t recommend it for small children. The maximum access badge is a 2-day ticket and can be used on the consecutive day (transportation fees would apply) to see further aspects of the space center - IMAX movies and bus tours may not be available on launch day - therefore we would recommend you plan using the 2nd day of access of your ticket if you are unable to see them launch day.

Be aware that security at the Visitor Complex entrance will be thorough. All bags will be checked and no questionable items will be permitted. This includes any pocket knives, mace/pepper spray, scissors, box cutters or anything the guests may have in their possession that could be construed as a weapon. The checking of bags takes time so you are encouraged to limit the items you carry whenever possible in order to minimize your wait time. No items will be allowed to be left on the buses and storage at KSC is not available.

Tickets for this package are very limited and will sell out!!
Old 11-26-2007, 09:31 PM   #23
BPCooper
Mouseketeer

The Gray Line tour (which in fact I think are still available for STS-122) is viewing from the NASA causeway. The catch is you must be picked up from a hotel in Orlando.

http://www.ksctickets.com/grydol.html

That beautiful photo above was taken by the Daytona Beach News Journal of STS-76 in 1996.

My advice is always that if you are already within an hour or two, you should definitely drive the rest of the way :-) even if it takes a second try because of a scrub. It is unquestionably worth it.

My guide for viewing launches from Cape Canaveral:
http://www.launchphotography.com/Lau...formation.html
BPCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:02 AM   #24
toystoryduo
Have I said anything clever??
Maybe not yet but I think I can. I think I can. I think I can

Thanks everyone for the great tips! How busy is Titusville the day of the launch? Are there any places that we can view the launch from that are less crowded than others? Thanks again!
Old 11-27-2007, 07:23 AM   #25
Endeavour105
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by toystoryduo View Post
Thanks everyone for the great tips! How busy is Titusville the day of the launch? Are there any places that we can view the launch from that are less crowded than others? Thanks again!
"Less crowded" is a relative term and you need to consider all of Titusville very busy...and crowded...on launch day.

Viewing the launch from WDW or being able to see the space shuttle head for space at WDW is solely dependant on the cloud cover between WDW and the Cape. There are no guarantees that one will be able to see it, and, depending on the cloud cover, one can expect to get a fleeting glimpse at best if viewing from WDW if there is cloud cover.

Last edited by Endeavour105; 11-27-2007 at 07:43 AM.
Endeavour105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:51 AM   #26
redoschi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redoschi View Post
I'll arrive in Orlando (MCO) at about 2pm on Dec 6th. Our flight from Brazil comes to Orlando, we'll stay on a hotel near the airport as we take a flight to New york on the Early morning of Dec 7th. But we'll be back on the 11th for 12 full days of WDW before returning to Brazil!

I was thinking on hitting something like the Florida Mall (nearest mall I believe to the airport. If anyone has another idea I'm open for it!) for some strolling around and an early dinner before we get an early sleep to get up at 4am for the NY flight.

Does anyone know if we can see the launch from the Florida mall or anywhere in the Airport area? Any ideas of a nice place to see it in the area?

Does anyone know if, with weather permitting, there is a nice place to see the launch from the Florida Mall / Airport area?

My PTR for Jan-Feb 2013
My ongoing TR for our Jan-Feb 2013 trip
January/February 2013 - Pop CenturyDecember 2007 - All Star Sports October 2000 - All Star Movies
October 1998 - Off-site December 1994 - Off-site December 1989 - Off-site

WDW Commando Member #215
redoschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:52 AM   #27
Conan the Librarian
Been Visting the Mouse since 1972

The following is a photo I took in 1984 of Discovery. I was on the causway with my 8" Newtonian and took the picture through it.

Then there was this launch of Atlantis in Dec 2006 that I took from Savannah, GA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI-CAbRBiQI

The video doesn't coordinate with the audio, but, you can tell what's going on.

Next time, I'll have a tri-pod!

Geek the Library! I Geek Astronomy!

s his

Before 2010 too many trips to count starting in 1972

2010 Feb (off site), May SSR, Oct HHI.
2011 May SSR, Oct HHI
2012 Feb (off site), May SSR
2013 Feb OKW, May SSR, Dec Ft. W

2004 POR-Pop Century(May),POR (Oct), Ft Wilderness(Dec) 2005 HH(Jan), way off site(Feb), POR-Polynesian(May), Carribbean Beach(Oct), POP (Nov for Three Dog Night), Ft Wilderness (Dec)

2006 HHI (Jan) Daytrip (Feb), BCV (Apr/May) HHI (Nov) Ft Wilderness (Dec)2007 HHI (Jan) Daytrip (Feb), BCV (Apr/May) HHI (Nov) Ft Wilderness (Dec)

2008 HHI (Jan), Daytrip (Feb), SS (May), BV? (Oct)
2009 POP(Feb)WLV (Mar), SSR(May), SSR(Sept), FtW (Dec), HHI?(Dec)
Conan the Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:29 PM   #28
TheIncredibles
Disney Renaissance for us; Disney discovery for them

Haven't thought of this in a while - I was at MK when the last manned Apollo Mission flew to the Moon! Naturally, being Texans, we didn't know when or where to look, but we heard later it flew in full view right over the park!
2011 - Old Key West Villas
2010 - Poly LVC
2009 - Poly LVC
2008 - Poly LVC, POR
2007 - POR
2006 - Poly LVC
2005 - Poly LVC
2004 - Poly LVC
2003 - Poly LVC
1976 - Offsite
TheIncredibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:25 PM   #29
IwasatWDWforamonth
Has a sweetie named Hope
I couldn't imagine not hopping
My cockatoo ate one of my moms darvocet and turned into a cereal bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan the Librarian View Post
The following is a photo I took in 1984 of Discovery. I was on the causway with my 8" Newtonian and took the picture through it.

Then there was this launch of Atlantis in Dec 2006 that I took from Savannah, GA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI-CAbRBiQI

The video doesn't coordinate with the audio, but, you can tell what's going on.

Next time, I'll have a tri-pod!
quite a lens you had there,

cool picture

Im a fun nut
IwasatWDWforamonth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:44 AM   #30
toystoryduo
Have I said anything clever??
Maybe not yet but I think I can. I think I can. I think I can

Thanks everyone for your tips and pictures!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: