Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2007, 05:05 PM   #1
alizesmom
Pumba is my hero but I love Donald

Will the van hold it all? Another Wish Trip

Hooray, we're going to WDW. Our trip runs from Nov 30 - Dec 11 since we are driving from PA. We will actually be at Disney from Dec 2-8. Like many other families we are lucky to be staying at Give Kids the World.

The cast:
DH (Charlie) age 53
Me (Karen) age 54 and principal planner
Wendy age 30 something, Alize's main nurse
Alize age 4 1/2 and the Wish Child

Alize was born 16 weeks early and had a severe brain bleed right after birth. He has hydrocephalus, CP, dystonia, profound MR, seizure disorder, CVI (a type of blindness), a trach to breath and a g-tube to be fed through. He uses a wheelchair to get around otherwise he has poor head control, can't roll over or sit. Alize meets the world through sound and sensation. He's going to love Disney.

Charlie and I have been to WDW before. It will be a first time for Wendy and Alize.

I've been following many of the threads here especially the Wish ones and have already used many suggestions. Got our misting fan, our Wal-Mart ponchos and our crocs.

I'm hoarding extra suction catheters, trach tubes, feeding tubes and formula. Bought a cooler that runs on the car battery for Alize's meds (and maybe some diet coke for mom).

OK Bill Lin, I've started. Karen
Old 10-11-2007, 06:13 PM   #2
fonsy
Mouseketeer

Hi Karen ! I'll be following your report
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2007, 07:51 PM   #3
Avivasmom
DIS Veteran

I am in too...we will just miss you. We will be there Nov. 26-30th...My DD is a preemie born almost 2 1/2 months early.

Cannot wait to read more.
Offsite (3 times), CBR Dec 2004, POR May 2005, AKL Nov 2005, CSR May 2006,POFQ June 2006,POFQ Nov 2006, BWV July/Aug 2007, BCV Nov 2007, POFQ Jan 2008, June 2008 SSR, AKV Aug 2008, SSR Oct 2008, SSR 2009
Aug 2010 BCV/BWV, Dec 2010 BCV/POFQ SEPT 2011 POFQ

Upcoming:
Hoping either BCV or BWV March 2011
Old 10-11-2007, 08:42 PM   #4
alizesmom

How Alize got his Wish Trip is simple. He was our foster child and his caseworker referred him last spring. He had just gone through 19 revisions of the shunt in his head in 10 months so we really needed something to look forward to. He was approved and we decided on Disney since he loves the sound of crowds and kids (his favorite place is Wal-Mart when it's busy). We finally got to adopt him on July 17 of this year. He has now been in our home for 3 years. He has multiple doctors and the one who coordinates his care gave approval but really wanted us to take a nurse to watch him at night. Wendy volunteered in a flash (she gets to go to Disney and still gets paid for working ). His shunt has been working now since May 1 so we are hopeful that this one is going to last. He's had a couple outpatient surgeries since May but nothing inpatient. We are sooooo ready for a vacation. Karen
Old 10-11-2007, 09:00 PM   #5
Avivasmom
DIS Veteran

Congrats on the adoption..lucky family you are...to be able to adopt him. You will have a blast!
Offsite (3 times), CBR Dec 2004, POR May 2005, AKL Nov 2005, CSR May 2006,POFQ June 2006,POFQ Nov 2006, BWV July/Aug 2007, BCV Nov 2007, POFQ Jan 2008, June 2008 SSR, AKV Aug 2008, SSR Oct 2008, SSR 2009
Aug 2010 BCV/BWV, Dec 2010 BCV/POFQ SEPT 2011 POFQ

Upcoming:
Hoping either BCV or BWV March 2011
Old 10-11-2007, 09:26 PM   #6
Bill_Lin
Grateful to God

Way to go Karen!

I am really excited to see you start this thread. You are off to a great start, and will get the hang of it in no time.

I am happy to hear about your adoption. What an honor for you all!

How is your shopping list coming? It will be a bit cooler there when you go than when we did, but rain is still a good possibility. It may be a bit more crowded too, but I hear most people go the week of our the week after Thanksgiving, so you may miss the crowds completely. Still, get your G.A.C. and USE it ALWAYS.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:56 PM   #7
alizesmom

Warning, may be boring content.

I am learning how to take a multiply challenged child on vacation. I hope to be able to give (and get) ideas on what works and what doesn't. We have chosen to drive to Disney since we have so much equipment and medications to take with us and I'm paranoid about losing them. I have heard suggestions of shipping many of these to your resort and/or renting while there.

Our list includes: wheelchair, c-pap, oxygen, suction (2 of these in case of failure), oximeter, nebulizer, ambu bag. Alize takes about a dozen different medications some of which need refrigerated. He gets one by injection twice a day so can't forget the syringes and needle disposal box. Along with this are all of the things that go with the equipment (trachs, feeding tubes, formula, trach ties, chargers for all of the equipment).

Mr Alize is doing great. If all is well then he always wears a huge smile. He turns his head side to side just like radar in order to pick up all of the sounds around him. When we hit Disney, I imagine that his head will be in constant motion.

We have our days casually mapped out. Basically we know what park we'll hit on what day. We have set up dinner's at Rainforest Cafe in AK, Morocco (along with the Candlelight Processional) and Dining with Shamu (that one for nurse Wendy). The CMs I talked to were great and when I explained why he wouldn't be eating, even off my plate, they didn't require us to pay for him.

My final comment for today, I love Make a Wish! They just called us yesterday and casually asked if we'd like to take Alize to see the Wiggles on Thursday. He's going to have a blast.

Karen
Old 10-13-2007, 07:50 PM   #8
Bill_Lin
Grateful to God

Equipment

At the time we first started planning our trip, I was on night-time oxygen and headed for CPAP. Make a Wish seemed to suggest that they would arrange for such equipment to be rented for us while at GKTW, since it would be TOO far to drive. We did not end up needing such things as I improved. I do not know how it would have panned out. They acted as if such things were ordinarily provided.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:20 PM   #9
Camster0307
DIS Veteran

Karen - Looks like we'll just be missing you. Our wish trip is Nov.24-30th. We've gone many times during that first week of Dec. and I can just say be prepared for all types of weather. We've had it hot enough to go swimming and yet cold enough at night that we need hats and gloves!

My daughter Amanda also requires alot of medical equipment. She too has a trach, g-tube, is occasionally on oxygen and needs a vent at night. Because of her needs, we utilize the first aid stations quite a bit. They will hold on to any medical equipment you don't need you feel to carry around all day (better to leave it there than a locker). We also always would go back to first aid to change Amanda or just give her a break. They are so nice and accomodating.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:45 PM   #10
Bill_Lin
Grateful to God

First Aid

Great Tip on the First Aid stations Camster! Don't forget the Wish Lounge at MK for royal treatment and a quiet, private place.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:11 AM   #11
Camster0307
DIS Veteran

The Wish Lounge at MK?

Something else I know nothing about! That's why I LOVE the Disboards - can always count on finding about something new and helpful! Please do tell about the Wish Lounge!
Old 10-14-2007, 02:52 PM   #12
LeeLee2U
DIS Veteran

Hi Karen I'm here!! Wow How blessed all 3 of you are to have each other as a family!! God knew just what kind of Mom Alize would need!! Alize will love WDW!!! The last few days we saw more shows than anything as Braeton was kinda off and he loved it!! While he loves the rides. The sensations of the shows really WOWED Him. Especially the NEMO and the Festival of the Lion King at Animal Kingdom. I highly recommend these 2 at AK!!!Talk about great therapy!! While we were at Disney actually didn't have to do a lot of therapy with Braeton. We were doing it all day inthe parks!!!
I'm so glad you started this!!!
Leah

OFFICIAL DISLAND DIRECTOR OF INSPIRATION

Wish Trippers Unite home Page
"Those that mind don't matter. Those that matter don't mind." Dr.SEUSS

I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth. PSALM 121:1-2

Please Don't Take Your Organs to Heaven.
Heaven Knows We Need Them Here!
Old 10-14-2007, 03:34 PM   #13
Bill_Lin
Grateful to God

Magic Kingdom Wish Lounge

Camster, Wendy can tell you a lot more, but we did have an experience with the Wish Lounge that was very nice. Chaos can kind of swirl around you at times on a wish trip, like the twister in the Wizard of Oz, and catch you up until you feel a bit dizzy. The good news is that you usually land on a wicked witch and smush her. Never the less, if you end up in a whirl at MK, stopping in the quite, personal, privacy of the Wish Lounge can really help you get your bearings. There are nice chairs and a huge floor pillow for kids to use when resting. They have a nice television and bottled water. Best of all the room will be staffed by two wonderful Cast Members who are there for the sole reason of helping you with whatever you need. They can make calls to help arrange special moments, or to check on meal reservations and openings.

Matt helped us by canceling our reservations at the Grand Floridian dinner because Jeff, at Guest Services had already gotten us a meal at Cinderella's Royal Table in the Castle... HURRAY! Alex and Matt suggested a late lunch at the Columbia Harbor House (which closes at 5:00 for some reason) and we loved the fish and chips. They could have helped us find Piglet, but I was so whirled that I forgot all about Piglet until it was too late. My DD has not disowned me for this.

It is a small room, created just for wish trip families, but has a separate bathroom (HURRAY!). You will find the lounge between Casey's Corner and the Crystal Palace at the end of Main Street closest to the castle. If I remember right, you actually have to go into the first aid door where you will find a hall. In the hall you will find a door with a sign that reads, "Wish Lounge."

Wendy, do I have all of this right?

Last edited by Bill_Lin; 10-14-2007 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Matt and Alex were so nice
Old 10-15-2007, 05:37 AM   #14
Iluvmickeymouse!
Proud mama to a DD who beat HLH

Karen, you are off to a geat start!!! You and Eeyore's mom are making me feel guilty for not starting a trip report and we leave in one week!!! Don't think I'll get much time to do it this week either. Oh well, you will all just have to wait for the trip report when I get back. Keep up the good work and I can't wait to read more!!!
Old 10-15-2007, 06:43 AM   #15
LeeLee2U
DIS Veteran

Karen That's not boring content. Thats just what these Pre Trippies are supposed to have in them! People that read these like to know just what you are bringing and yours may very well help another Wish tripper that may feel overwhelmed w/ the amount of equipment they have to bring not feel so alone!! I think you are doing GREAT!!!!
I was scared to start one, but needed the help, so I tagged along on other PTRs!! That was before we had the Wish Tripper one!!
ILMM Don't worry about not starting a PTR yet, Just tag along on all these and you have our Wish Tripper one!! When you get back you can start a TR and start off with a few days before. Thats what I did with mine as you know and Look I just now got to my resort!! Now if I can get the time to move us a little bit forward!!!
Looking forward to reading both of ya'lls reports when you get back!!!!!!!!!
Have a blessed day!!

OFFICIAL DISLAND DIRECTOR OF INSPIRATION

Wish Trippers Unite home Page
"Those that mind don't matter. Those that matter don't mind." Dr.SEUSS

I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth. PSALM 121:1-2

Please Don't Take Your Organs to Heaven.
Heaven Knows We Need Them Here!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: