Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 621 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:40 PM   #1276
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Honey-Coriander Chicken Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnf2 View Post
I've truly enjoyed this thread and just wanted to thank everyone for all the great recipes... and to Lynninpa for keeping it so organized!

I wanted to report that we just had these wings for our "SuperBowl" party (just DH, me & the kids!) They were fabulous... and really sticky!!

Next time we will adjust the chilil powder and cayenne pepper down just bit- we usually like spicey, but this we just a bit much for us. I also only used half the sauce for the amount of wings the recipe called for- maybe I misread something somewhere... but that was a lot of sauce Other than that-- perfection! We ate at 'Ohana in December and the kids had been really excited about trying these at home... my 8 year olds are real foodies!! Thanks!

(The recipe is on pg. 25)
Disney recipes can definitely be a challenge esp. with the many versions around that don't always agree. The recipe for the 'Ohana Honey-Coriander Chicken Wings is a case in point. The version on page 25 mixes the seasoning from 1 version with the sauce from another version to come up with a 3rd version.
For comparison and research here are 2 different versions and then the one on page 25.

Version 1 is from the Orlando Sentinel and is for 4 pounds of chicken drummettes:

Wing seasoning: Combine
2 tablespoons Kosher salt,
2 tablespoons ground paprika
2 tablespoons sugar,
1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper,
1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon,
1⁄2 teaspoon granulated garlic
1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Sauce Mix simmer
1 cup honey
1⁄2 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
Mix 2 tablespoons cornstarch and 1 tablespoon water

Version 2 is what I was given at the restaurant many years back and calls for 5 pounds of drummettes

Wing seasoning:
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon ground paprika
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Wing sauce:
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/2 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/2 tablespoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon cornstarch

So they use much less sauce and seasoning for more chicken.

Version 3 from page 25 uses the seasoning from Version 2 and the Sauce from Version 1 which could explain why there's too much sauce:

Quote:
These are an appetizer served at Ohana and possibly my favorite food in WDW.

Ohana Wings:
1 Tbsp kosher salt
1 Tbsp Paprika
1 Tbsp granulated sugar
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp granulated garlic
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
2 pounds chicken wings and drummettes

Honey Coriander sauce:
1 Tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 Tbsp lime juice
1 Tbsp ground coriander, toasted
1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
1 cup honey
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/4 cup water

First visit to WDW in 1976. Many times since then.

Tatania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:42 PM   #1277
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by deekaypee View Post
Just checking in with feedback. My DMIL made this cake and told me that it was quite tasty--especially the day after it was made. But the amount of crunch, syrup, and whipped cream was way too much for the cake itself; she said there was enough left over to finish 2 or 3 more cakes.

As feedback on other recipes suggests, this quantity issue seems to be a regular occurrence: the toppings, sauces, glazes, etc. tend to make more than actually needed for the dishes themselves. Just something to keep in mind when buying ingredients.
THanks so much for the feedback and I'll add this note to my recipe. Did your DMIL find a litte sweet as that's what I felt this time around - esp. compared to the other dessert I had.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2008, 03:50 PM   #1278
tiggerfan1
DIS Veteran

Tatania: I just had a quick question. When you made the version of the berry cobbler that I gave, did you have to correct the measurements of the salt and baking powder? The measurements say "Tbsp.", but I'm pretty sure that it should be "tsp." Please let me know so I can change it if I need to. Thanks!
tiggerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:57 PM   #1279
bnf2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatania View Post
Disney recipes can definitely be a challenge esp. with the many versions around that don't always agree. The recipe for the 'Ohana Honey-Coriander Chicken Wings is a case in point. The version on page 25 mixes the seasoning from 1 version with the sauce from another version to come up with a 3rd version.

Version 1 is from the Orlando Sentinel and is for 4 pounds of chicken drummettes:

Version 3 from page 25 uses the seasoning from Version 2 and the Sauce from Version 1 which could explain why there's too much sauce:
Well, how 'bout that! Thanks Tatania! I'm definitely going to try your version... straight from the place... next time Good thing I love to cook and my family loves to eat!!

DH & Me , DD 11 , DS 11
March 1973 & September 1976- Ft. Wilderness; September 1979- Polynesian; June 1996 Old Key West; October 2004-Coronado Springs (first trip as a parent & surprise b-day trip for the twins w/my entire family!); September 2006- Pop; December 2007- Christmas trip w/2 other Disney-Crazy Families, offsite- Bonnet Creek; October 2011- Twins turn 12 Port Orleans- French Quarter

Last edited by bnf2; 02-04-2008 at 06:31 PM. Reason: spelling...oops
bnf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:00 PM   #1280
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerfan1 View Post
Tatania: I just had a quick question. When you made the version of the berry cobbler that I gave, did you have to correct the measurements of the salt and baking powder? The measurements say "Tbsp.", but I'm pretty sure that it should be "tsp." Please let me know so I can change it if I need to. Thanks!
According to what's printed in the Delicious Disney Cookbook they use:
1/2 teaspoon salt and 2 teaspoons baking powder to 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 cup sugar and 1 stick plus 2 tbsp. butter.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:19 PM   #1281
tiggerfan1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This was the recipe I used last summer and here are my comments from that time:
Cook's Note: "I had to use 2 cake pans (1 – 9” and another 12”) because I didn't have 6” pans. I doubled the amount of berries because they looked very sparse in the cake pan. If one makes this in 4 - 6" cake pans (as this recipe calls for) then ½ cup berries per dessert might work but I think more is better because there’s a fair amount of dough. My pans baked far longer than 15” (more like 45 – 55") and the edges were done well before the middle. The dessert tastes delicious. 4 portions would be a LOT per person. "
Quote:
According to what's printed in the Delicious Disney Cookbook they use:
1/2 teaspoon salt and 2 teaspoons baking powder to 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 cup sugar and 1 stick plus 2 tbsp. butter.
Yes, but I notice that you didn't include any measurement changes in your notes for the cobbler recipe (quoted above). I was just wondering if the measurements in the version that I gave were correct after all.
tiggerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:19 PM   #1282
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Butternut Squash Soup review

Last night I made the Butternut Squash Soup from Boma as well as the Durban spiced chicken and Olivia's Key Lime pie. This time I used only boneless thighs and breasts that had been marinated, baked and served over a veggie rice, instead of the whole chicken. This marinade is outstanding and is quickly becoming a standard recipe for me. Last time I used the leftover cold chicken and made a salad using the Chili Cilantro Vinaigrette that's part of the recipe. Delicious. Orginally this is a roast chicken salad but works superbly as a marinade on roast chicken. I've made the key lime pie many times as Olivia's recipe is the best.

Quote:
Boma: Butternut Squash Soup
2 tablespoons Butter
1 each Garlic Cloves
1 each Onion, chopped
1 teaspoon Cumin, ground
1 teaspoon Coriander, ground
1 pound Butternut Squash, cut in chunks
2 teaspoons Curry Paste, red
2 cups Vegetable Stock
2 cups Milk
4 tablespoons Sour Cream
2 each Fresh Lemons, juiced
To taste -- Black Pepper and Salt
To taste -- Cilantro Sprigs

In a large pot, heat the butter. Add the onions and garlic and cook until soft. Add all the spices, lemon juice, and curry paste. Add squash and cover with the stock. Simmer until squash is cooked.

Puree the soup until smooth and add the salt and pepper to tastes. Return to the heat and add the milk and sour cream. Do not boil. Garnish with the cilantro sprigs.
I followed the recipe exactly except I used the juice of 1 1/2 lemons as they were quite large. It tasted very sour (and the milk curdled a little when added) so I added brown sugar and more cumin. It was still too sour for me and my DS to enjoy. Only my Mom liked it as she likes sour stuff. It wasn't on the menu the day I ate at Boma (just a muddy tasting mushroom soup) but others have commented that this soup has a sweet taste and might have had cinnamon and nutmeg. I'll add that tonight plus more brown sugar and orange juice. If I make this again I'll use very little or no lemon juice.
Alton Browne (Food Network) uses no lemon but honey, ginger and nutmeg and the ones at Epicurious.com use many varations with ginger, brown sugar, green apple, Green Chili sauce, orange juice but not lemon.

I think the lemon is a mistake.

Update: When I reheated the soup I added the juice of one blood orange, more brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg and DS and I liked it better. Mom prefers the sour version and wants the recipe, LOL.

Last edited by Tatania; 02-05-2008 at 04:55 AM.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:03 PM   #1283
akalittleeva
Mouseketeer

Tatania - re: O'hana wings - thanks so much for the input - makes complete sense - I'll be trying your recipe next time. I've had the Durban chicken on my list of new recipes to try for a while now, but haven't had much chance to cook lately - after hearing your review, I'm going to move it to the top of my list!

bnf2 - no problem about not remembering for comparison - I've made a few things that I've actually tried at WDW and they have been delicious, but can't say for sure if it was a dead ringer for the original - either way, good is good!
akalittleeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:53 AM   #1284
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerfan1 View Post
Yes, but I notice that you didn't include any measurement changes in your notes for the cobbler recipe (quoted above). I was just wondering if the measurements in the version that I gave were correct after all.
Sorry, misunderstood what you had asked, hehe. I THINK I used the 1/4 tbsp. salt & 2 1/2 tbsp. baking powder when I made it but since I had both recipes, I'm not 100% sure anymore. The notes I made are under the the one with the tbsp. so I'm guessing I used that.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:29 AM   #1285
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Almond-crusted Cheesecake

On page 236 we have a request for the Almond-crusted Cheesecake from Narcoossee's.
We can take that request off the list

Almond-crusted Cheesecake - Inspired by the Year of a Million Dreams and served with Lambert cherry sauce.
Narcoossee's, Grand Floridian
Yield: 10 portions

INGREDIENTS
30 oz Cream cheese
7-1/2 oz Sugar
2 oz Sour cream
4 oz Whole eggs
¼ oz Almond essence
2 oz Heavy cream
¼ sheet Yellow cake or a 1 layer pie dough
15 oz Whipped cream
1 oz Chocolate dust for garnish
2-1/2 oz Semisweet chocolate for garnish
7-1/2 oz Sugared almonds
10 oz White ganache for garnish

METHOD:
Grease individual molds.
Roll out pie dough or cut sponge cake – ¼ inch to ¾ inch thick - and line bottom of molds
Combine cream cheese and sugar in a mixing bowl.
Blend in heavy cream and sour cream.
Mix until smooth.
Blend in eggs and almond.
Mix until smooth.
Pour mixture into the molds
Bake in a water bath at 300o F. for approximately 2 hours, or until filling is set.
Serve cold and top with sugared almonds

SUGAR ALMONDS

INGREDIENTS:
6 oz Sliced almonds
1 oz Egg whites
6 oz Sugar

METHOD:
Mix all ingredients together and evenly covered with egg whites and sugar. Bake at 250 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown

LAMBERT CHERRY SAUCE

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup Pureed strawberries (from fresh or frozen strawberries)
1 cup Pureed raspberries (from fresh or frozen raspberries)
1 cup Pureed blueberries (from fresh or frozen blueberries)
1 cup Pureed blackberries (from fresh or frozen blackberries)
¼ cup Sugar or to taste
1 tbls Water
2 cups Pureed blackcherries (from fresh or frozen)
METHOD:
Bring fruit purees, sugar and water to a boil
Add cherry puree and stir to incorporate
Let cool before using

For le Cellier: Sweet Potato Puree request is posted on Page 72 post#1072
Steak & Noodle Stirfry request - formerly on the menu as Stir-fried Beef Tips. The Chef wrote to me and said that they no longer have the recipe as it's been off the menu a while now. All he could find was the Spicy Honey Soy Vinaigrette/Glaze recipe they used in it which is posted on page 77.

Last edited by Tatania; 02-06-2008 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:15 PM   #1286
lynninpa

Help yourself! I just made a few new batches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deekaypee View Post
Honey Crunch Cake
Thank you for posting a review of the Honey Crunch Cake, deekaypee!
lynninpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:17 PM   #1287
lynninpa

Quote:
Boma: Butternut Squash Soup
Thanks for the review and tips, Tatania!
Old 02-05-2008, 03:19 PM   #1288
lynninpa

Quote:
Narcoossee's: Almond-crusted Cheesecake
Sounds delicious! Thank you, Tatania!!
Old 02-05-2008, 03:24 PM   #1289
lynninpa

'Ohana: Honey Coriander Wings

I have changed the page number in the index for the Honey Coriander Wings to page 86 since it includes the one originally posted here on the Recipe Exchange, as well as noting that there are 3 versions...so far.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:44 PM   #1290
lynninpa

Quote:
BTW, llyninpa, if you're updating the request list I'd just like to note that the requests for:
Boma (266: Peanut Rice Sauce & 931: Coconut Pudding? Mousse?) are posted on page 65 #567 for the Peanut Rice Sauce and Cocomisu: post #954.

The Main Street Bakery Citrus Cake - this is probably the Grapefruit Cake as it's the recipe I was sent when I requested it.
Oops! Guess I did not read the recipe for the Peanut Rice carefully enough. I will delete it from the Requested List.

There is a simple coconut pudding/mousse served on occasion at Boma in addition to the Cocomisu.

The Citrus Cake that was served at The Main Street Bakery is not the same as the Grapefruit Cake at The Brown Derby, although I am sure it is just as yummy!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: