Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2008, 10:24 PM   #1006
lynninpa

Help yourself! I just made a few new batches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellablue View Post
I was wondering if anyone has this recipe? Also, pics of this dessert?

I searched through the index on the first page of this thread and only found a pumpkin bread version.

TIA!
This recipe is on the list of Requested Recipes (page 15, post 222) If I or a fellow Diser finds the recipe and posts it, I will let you know, stellablue!
lynninpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 12:26 AM   #1007
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynninpa View Post
I, too, am wondering about the recipe for the mashed potatoes. When we dined at Kona Cafe, we were told that they have always used Yukon Gold for their mashed potatoes. The menu that we were given also says Yukon Gold. Yet the recipe calls for Red Bliss potatoes. I am sure they would both be delicious yet those two potatoes do have different tastes. And the salt? 1/4 cup?!
I agree 1/4 cup seems high until you look at the amount of potatoes, butter and sour cream. 10 pounds of potatoes serves at least 20 (at 1/2 pound per person) so that's about 1/2 tsp salt per person - fairly normal for our tastes.

I bet the mashed potato recipe is done with both kinds of potatos.

First visit to WDW in 1976. Many times since then.

Tatania is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-19-2008, 12:33 AM   #1008
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Review of Lentil and Kale Stew

I made the Jiko Lentil and Kale Stew (p. 40) and I really like the French lentils as they don't get mushy. I cut back the oil by half so it was 5 WW Points per serving. It was a hearty and tasted good but but DS and I agreed it was not one of the "raves".
Same for the Fattoush Salad from Gasparilla Grill at Disney's Grand Floridian. The salad has the same kind of taste as Tabbouleh. Good but wouldn't go crazy about it. If anyone wants the recipe let me know.

Last edited by Tatania; 01-19-2008 at 01:04 AM.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:03 AM   #1009
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Kona Pan-Asian Pasta with Shrimp or Chicken

On the menu as: Pan Asian Noodles - Asian egg noodles with sliced chicken, pineapple, seasonal vegetables, and a housemade sweet and sour sauce $16.99; with shrimp $17.99

The recipe from Chef Thompson
Kona Café Restaurant, Polynesian Resort
Yield: 4 servings

12 ounces Chinese Egg Noodles (or enough for 4 persons)

Kona Asian Pasta – Shrimp/Chicken Marinade Ingredients
1 ¼ lbs. shrimp (or chicken), de-veined and cut into 1 inch size pieces
1 tablespoon Sake
1 teaspoon Lawry's seasoned salt
2 teaspoon cornstarch

Combine and mix well and the bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let it marinate overnight.

Pasta Sauce Ingredients
1 cup water
3/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup Mirin
1 tablespoon black vinegar (substitute with balsamic vinegar for a subtle difference)
1 teaspoon garlic, finely minced
1 teaspoon shallots, finely minced
1 teaspoon lemon grass, finely grated
2 tablespoon cornstarch

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan, mix well, and bring to a boil. Stir and boil for1 minute. Can be made 2 days ahead of time and refrigerated.

Pasta Dish Ingredients
1 medium onion, julienne
1 medium carrot, julienne
4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, julienne
1 medium red pepper, julienne
1/2 pounds sugar snap snow peas
2 stalks medium celery, bite-size, cut on the bias
1 small head bok choy, rough chopped into bite size pieces are substitute with Napa cabbage

Boil water and cook egg noodles; while hot, set aside.
Cook shrimp or chicken in a hot wok with a little oil and julienne onion.
When shrimp or chicken is cooked, add remaining vegetables and stir-fry for 1 minute.
Add sauce and egg noodles and stir-fry for 1 minute.

This is a recipe for 4 dinners and most home woks will not fit all in one pan so you may have to divide the items in half to cook.

I didn't have this dish so does anyone know where the pineapple went? Was it served sliced on the side?

Old 01-19-2008, 01:03 AM   #1010
stellablue
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynninpa View Post
This recipe is on the list of Requested Recipes (page 15, post 222) If I or a fellow Diser finds the recipe and posts it, I will let you know, stellablue!
Thanks so much!
stellablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 01:14 PM   #1011
deekaypee
Mouseketeer
Ah, life in my Disney daydream is good

Just received this email from California Grill:

Quote:
Thank you for your request to have the Honey Crunch Cake and the Butternut Squash Ravioli from the California Grill. Unfortunately we are unable to provide this recipe to your for your enjoyment due to proprietary reasons. We have included the recipe for our Pork Tenderloin. We hope that you and your family will enjoy this dish.
It's particularly disappointing to me, as I was the vegetarian of the party & the butternut squash ravioli was delicious. I'll post the recipes for what they did send--the Pork Tenderloin--in the next posts.
... ................

Last edited by deekaypee; 01-20-2008 at 04:52 PM. Reason: I CAN spell, really!
deekaypee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 01:19 PM   #1012
deekaypee
Mouseketeer

California Grill: Grilled Pork Tenderloin

Grilled Pork Tenderloin

Disney’s Contemporary Resort—California Grill

Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients
  • 6 tablespoons olive oil
  • 20 fresh sage leaves with stems
  • ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
  • ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
  • 1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed [ETA: The Excel Sheet that accompanied the recipe indicated a plating had 7 oz. of pork tenderloin, so you may wish to adjust your recipe accordingly. Thanks to Tatania for pointing this out!]
  • ½ cup Mustard Butter (see recipe)
  • Garlic and Herb Polenta (see recipe)
  • 1 cup Balsamic Mushroom Glaze (see recipe)

Method of Preparation
  1. In a 10-inch skillet, heat ¼ cup of the olive oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add 5 of the sage leaves and turn quickly, cooking for only 10 seconds; immediately, with a slotted spoon, transfer the sage leaves to paper towels to drain. Repeat with the remaining sage leaves. Set aside at room temperature until ready to serve.
  2. On a plate, stir together the remaining 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, the salt, and the pepper. Completely coat the pork tenderloin with the olive oil mixture.
  3. Preheat an empty 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium-high heat until very hot. Add the pork and sear, turning with tongs to brown all sides. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, turning frequently and basting occasionally with the Mustard Butter, for about 15 minutes, or just until the pork is cooked through. Set the pork aside, covered, on a cutting board, for 5 minutes to let the juices settle.
  4. To serve, arrange the Garlic and Herb Polenta on 4 warm serving plates. Cut the pork loin crosswise into 20 thick slices and arrange 5 slices on each serving of polenta. Ladle the Balsamic Mushroom Glaze over the pork and top each serving with 5 leaves of fried sage.

Note: To make this entrée less complicated, omit one of the accessory dishes. You could serve the pork tenderloin with just the polenta or just the mushroom glaze.

Mustard Butter, Polenta, and Balsamic Mushroom Glaze recipes to follow.
... ................

Last edited by deekaypee; 01-20-2008 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:22 PM   #1013
deekaypee
Mouseketeer

California Grill: Mustard Butter

Mustard Butter
Yield: 1/2 cup

Ingredients
  • 6 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard, at room temperature
  • 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard (such as Pommery), at room temperature
  • 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste

Method of Preparation
  1. In a small bowl, with a fork, combine all ingredients.
  2. Transfer the Mustard Butter to a small bowl and store, covered and chilled, for up to 2 weeks.
... ................
Old 01-19-2008, 01:27 PM   #1014
deekaypee
Mouseketeer

California Grill: Polenta

POLENTA :

YIELD: approx. 3 quarts

Ingredients
  • 1/2 each Spanish onions; small dice
  • 1 pint polenta
  • 1 ½ cups heavy cream
  • 1 ½ cups Asiago cheese (dry jack if in stock)
  • 1 ½ cup water to adjust
  • 43 ounces milk
  • 1 ½ cups soft goat cheese (Laura Chenel)
  • 8 ounces butter
  • 2 Tbls. thyme; leaves, chop fine
  • 4 Tbls. sage; chop fine
  • ½ cup Kosher salt
  • 1 tsp. . fresh ground black pepper
  • 2 Tbls. roasted garlic

METHOD OF PREPARATION:
  1. Sweat onions in 1 pound of butter until clear, then add heavy cream, milk, water to adjust, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil and add polenta.
  2. Reduce to a simmer and stir constantly, until bloom (ask what bloom looks like or demo). Once bloomed, remove from stove -top and stir constantly for 30-40 minutes or put in a 375° oven for 40 minutes.
  3. While polenta is cooking, make a finishing kit. Open and break up goat cheese, cut 1 pound of butter into medium cubes, and chop thyme and sage into a 2-4 quart container.
  4. After 30-40 minutes of cooking, add your finishing kit and adjust your seasonings.
  5. Put into containers for service.

NOTES: Oven cooks polenta without any scorching and does seem to bloom better.

Finishing kit goes into polenta at the end of cooking, cannot be cooked any more once added.

Thyme and sage should be chopped rough to fine, a balance of in between.

Deekaypee notes: This is not the recipe that goes with the Pork Tenderloin, but was included with a list of attachments. The Garlic & Herb Polenta is the next recipe. Also, I'm not sure what "finishing kit" is--perhaps someone could explain, and I'd add the note to this post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatania View Post
The recipe says: "While polenta is cooking, make a finishing kit. Open and break up goat cheese, cut 1 pound of butter into medium cubes, and chop thyme and sage into a 2-4 quart container.
After 30-40 minutes of cooking, add your finishing kit and adjust your seasonings. "

So my guess is the finishing kit is the cheese, butter and herbs. The thing is, the ingredients list calls for 8 ounces of butter and then all of sudden it says 1 pound. I'd use the lesser amount because 1 pound sounds like too much for 1 pint (which is approx. 1 pound or 2 cups) of polenta that already has 1.5cups of cream, 1.5 cups of Asiago and 5 1/3 cups of milk added to it.

The basic Italian polenta formula is 2 cups polenta to 2 cups cream, 4 cups broth and 3/4 cup cheese.
... ................

Last edited by deekaypee; 01-21-2008 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Adding clarification
Old 01-19-2008, 01:33 PM   #1015
deekaypee
Mouseketeer

California Grill: Garlic & Herb Polenta/Garlic Puree

Garlic and Herb Polenta
Yield: 4 to 6 servings; makes about 3 cups

Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • ½ cup finely chopped onion
  • 2 teaspoons Roasted Garlic puree (see recipe)
  • 1¼ cups water
  • 1¼ cups milk
  • 1/3 cup heavy cream
  • ½ cup yellow cornmeal
  • ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
  • 2 tablespoons grated Asiago or Parmesan cheese
  • ¼ cup crumbled soft mild goat cheese (such as Montrachet)
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage leaves
  • 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley for garnish

Method of Preparation
  1. In a 3-quart saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add the onions and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes, or until softened. Stir in the Roasted Garlic puree. Add the water, milk, and heavy cream and bring the mixture to a simmer over high heat.
  2. Add the cornmeal in a slow steady stream, whisking constantly. Stir in the salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, 15 to 20 minutes, or until thick and bubbling. Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the Asiago, goat cheese, thyme, and sage.

Preparation or Assembly

Serve the polenta hot, garnished with the parsley.

Roasted Garlic Puree

Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 whole garlic head

Method of Preparation
  1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
  2. Cut off the stem and top third of 1 whole garlic head.
  3. Place the garlic on a sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
  4. Wrap the garlic with foil, seal the edges tightly, and roast for 1 hour.
  5. Remove the package from the oven, open carefully, and let the garlic cool slightly.
  6. Scrape or squeeze out the pulp from the garlic cloves. You should get about 2 tablespoons roasted garlic puree from 1 head of garlic.
... ................
Old 01-19-2008, 01:37 PM   #1016
deekaypee
Mouseketeer

California Grill: Balsamic Mushroom Glaze & Zinfandel Glaze

Balsamic Mushroom Glaze
Yield: 1 cup

Ingredients
  • ½ pound cremini mushrooms
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • ½ teaspoon coarse salt, or to taste
  • ⅛ teasppon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
  • 1 cup Zinfandel Glaze (see recipe)
  • 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

Method of Preparation
  1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
  2. In a medium bowl, toss the mushrooms with the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread the mushrooms in a single layer and roast, turning once, for 7 to 8 minutes, or until softened and browned.
  3. In a 2-quart saucepan, bring the Zinfandel Glaze to a simmer over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and the balsamic vinegar and simmer for 10 minutes.
  4. Strain the sauce through a fine sieve into a bowl. Brush onto meat or poultry while roasting or grilling. Store the sauce, covered and chilled, for up to 1 week.

Zinfandel Glaze
Yield: 1 cup

Ingredients
  • 1 cup Zinfandel wine
  • 1 red onion, finely chopped
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 2 cups finely chopped mushrooms
  • 2 sprigs fresh thyme
  • ½ teaspoon cracked whole black peppercorns
  • ¼ cup meat trimmings
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

Method of Preparation
  1. In a 2-quart saucepan, cook the wine and the onion over high heat for about 4 to 5 minutes, or until the liquid is reduced by half.
  2. Add the broth, mushrooms, thyme, and peppercorns and reduce the liquid to about 1¼ cups.
  3. Meanwhile, in a 10-inch skillet, brown the meat trimmings over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes, or until lightly browned.
  4. Slowly whisk in the reduced wine mixture; cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the mixture boils and thickens.
  5. Strain the sauce through a fine sieve into a clean 1-quart saucepan; discard the solids. Use immediately or store, covered and chilled, for up to 1 week.
... ................
Old 01-19-2008, 04:11 PM   #1017
inloveindisney
DIS Veteran

pina colada bread

anyone have a recipe for pina colada bread from Olivias cafe?

Our Disney Family Website-Read our Blog!

inloveindisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 08:27 PM   #1018
Sandye1965
Earning My Ears

Hello Everyone,
Does anyone know how to make the Pomegranate Drink that is served Ohana's? We had it for our Disneymoon last October '07 and I would love to have it for Valentine's Day to surprise my new husband. Please help, it would be greatly appreciated

Sandye1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:50 PM   #1019
lynninpa

Pomegranate Drink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandye1965 View Post
Hello Everyone,
Does anyone know how to make the Pomegranate Drink that is served Ohana's? We had it for our Disneymoon last October '07 and I would love to have it for Valentine's Day to surprise my new husband. Please help, it would be greatly appreciated
What a beautiful wedding photo, Sandye1965! A fellow Diser just posted the recipe for the Pomegranate Splash served at the Polynesian and throughout Disney (page 67) Could this be the one you are looking for?
Old 01-19-2008, 10:27 PM   #1020
lynninpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatania View Post
Thank you, Tatania! I know this is a very popular dish at Kona Cafe-maybe on our next trip I will try it!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: