Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2007, 07:26 PM   #496
Tatania
Disney Foodie

My 'Ohana: Pineapple Breakfast Bread was pretty disastrous thanks to using a very high gluten flour (98% or something) and not having a dough hook. It was very hard to mix and didn't rise AT ALL - I let it stand for hours. I went ahead and put the filling in anyway and as I was sealing it all the juice was coming out - very messy. Anyway, gluten flour makes a pizza-like dough and we all felt the crust was much too hard. I'd want to see how they make this at the resort before trying again.
Tatania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 07:36 PM   #497
lynninpa

Help yourself! I just made a few new batches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatania View Post
My 'Ohana: Pineapple Breakfast Bread was pretty disastrous thanks to using a very high gluten flour (98% or something) and not having a dough hook. It was very hard to mix and didn't rise AT ALL - I let it stand for hours. I went ahead and put the filling in anyway and as I was sealing it all the juice was coming out - very messy. Anyway, gluten flour makes a pizza-like dough and we all felt the crust was much too hard. I'd want to see how they make this at the resort before trying again.
Tatania!
Hmmm...Any bakers out there that can help with this? Would using a mixer with a dough hook make the difference? It seems to be the same recipe found over and over on the internet. Has anyone else tried this recipe? I really loved it for B-fast when at 'Ohana and would love to make it at home.
lynninpa is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-30-2007, 08:04 PM   #498
apostolic4life
Chef Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynninpa View Post
Tatania!
Hmmm...Any bakers out there that can help with this? Would using a mixer with a dough hook make the difference? It seems to be the same recipe found over and over on the internet. Has anyone else tried this recipe? I really loved it for B-fast when at 'Ohana and would love to make it at home.

I would bet this is a yeast problem.......always bloom your yeast in a portion of your water before adding it into the recipe; the temp. of the water needs to be between 95 - 108 degrees to get the yeast going; if it exceeds 110 it will kill the yeast and if it lower then 88 it will not activate the yeast properly. The high gluten flour is what you want for a bread product of this type; I would recommend King Arthur flour as it has the highest protein content of mass marketed flours (protein translates into gluten strands as it reacts with the leavening agents). Now as for the dough hook is concerned, if you do not have a hook I would suggest mixing the dough by hand. Dough can get overworked by a paddle or whisk type mixer and this causes the gluten strands to contract and tighten up resulting in a dough that has no elasticity. If you mix by hand, mix the dough just until all ingredients are well blended then let the dough rest for a short time......this step will give the gluten strands time to recover from the mixing process. Make sure you let the dough rise in a warm moist environment......cooler, drier environments are not conducive to active yeast formation.

I hope this helps......this is a shortened version of a basic baking lesson about bread!!!

Where we've been:Aug. 2004 - CBR : Aug. 2004 - DCL : Dec. 2005 - POP : Nov. 2006 - Poly : Dec. 2007 - Off Site : Mar. 2009 - Off Site : May 2010 - Off Site : Jan. 2011 - POR : Feb./Mar. 2012 - Off Site
Where we're going: Dec. 2012 - Off Site
Me: DW: DD18: DD9: DD6:
DS3:
apostolic4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:37 PM   #499
lynninpa

oops!
Old 11-30-2007, 08:40 PM   #500
lynninpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by apostolic4life View Post
I would bet this is a yeast problem.......always bloom your yeast in a portion of your water before adding it into the recipe; the temp. of the water needs to be between 95 - 108 degrees to get the yeast going; if it exceeds 110 it will kill the yeast and if it lower then 88 it will not activate the yeast properly. The high gluten flour is what you want for a bread product of this type; I would recommend King Arthur flour as it has the highest protein content of mass marketed flours (protein translates into gluten strands as it reacts with the leavening agents). Now as for the dough hook is concerned, if you do not have a hook I would suggest mixing the dough by hand. Dough can get overworked by a paddle or whisk type mixer and this causes the gluten strands to contract and tighten up resulting in a dough that has no elasticity. If you mix by hand, mix the dough just until all ingredients are well blended then let the dough rest for a short time......this step will give the gluten strands time to recover from the mixing process. Make sure you let the dough rise in a warm moist environment......cooler, drier environments are not conducive to active yeast formation.

I hope this helps......this is a shortened version of a basic baking lesson about bread!!!

Wow, apostolic4life! Thank you for all of the wonderful info & tips! So when I go to the market for King Arthur brand flour, is there a particular "type" of flour by this brand to buy?
Old 11-30-2007, 08:52 PM   #501
apostolic4life
Chef Grumpy

Quote:
Wow, apostolic4life! Thank you for all of the wonderful info & tips! So when I go to the market for King Arthur brand flour, is there a particular "type" of flour by this brand to buy?
They carry different varieties (all purpose, self rising, whole wheat, etc.) but the brand as a whole has the highest consistent protein content due to their milling process. Use the variety your recipe calls for.

Where we've been:Aug. 2004 - CBR : Aug. 2004 - DCL : Dec. 2005 - POP : Nov. 2006 - Poly : Dec. 2007 - Off Site : Mar. 2009 - Off Site : May 2010 - Off Site : Jan. 2011 - POR : Feb./Mar. 2012 - Off Site
DS3:
Old 11-30-2007, 08:57 PM   #502
lynninpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by apostolic4life View Post
They carry different varieties (all purpose, self rising, whole wheat, etc.) but the brand as a whole has the highest consistent protein content due to their milling process. Use the variety your recipe calls for.
Thanks, apostolic! I hope you become a "regular" here on The Disney Recipe Exchange!
Old 11-30-2007, 09:22 PM   #503
smiller
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I will look around for this recipe for you, smiller and will also post it on the Requested Recipes list (page 15, post 222)
Yea! Thank you! I'm trying to plan an 'Ohana-themed dinner soon for the fam and would love to include my favorite dish!
12-POR/BLT/ASMu, 12-SSR, 12-AKV/BCV/BLT, 12-OKW/AKV, 12-SSR
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 09:36 PM   #504
apostolic4life
Chef Grumpy

Quote:
Thanks, apostolic! I hope you become a "regular" here on The Disney Recipe Exchange!

I have been watching since the first post.......I only post when I have some sort of beneficial input. Thanks!!!

DS3:
Old 11-30-2007, 09:49 PM   #505
lynninpa

'Ohana: Peel & Eat Shrimp Sweet & Sour Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
Yea! Thank you! I'm trying to plan an 'Ohana-themed dinner soon for the fam and would love to include my favorite dish!
I will do my best to find the recipe for you, smiller! I spend time every day looking for the Requested Recipes. I have had luck with quite a few and hope others will also check out the Requested Recipe list (page 15, post 222) in case they have/or can find a recipe a fellow Diser is looking for. Of course, sometimes it takes some time to find a recipe. I just found a recipe a day or two ago-that was requested back in September.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:18 AM   #506
lynninpa

All Star Resorts: Chicken Asiago Pasta

Just browsing through some Disney recipes and thought this one sounded yummy.

All Star Resorts: Chicken Asiago Pasta

2 quarts water
1/2 tsp kosher salt
12 oz. dry penne pasta
1 cup flour
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, pounded and cut into 2 inch strips
2 Tbsp olive oil
3/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes cut into 1/4-inch strips
3/4 cup olive oil
1 Tblsp minced garlic, or to taste
1 & 3/4 cup fresh baby spinach, lightly packed
2 cups grated Asiago cheese
1 & 3/4 cups grated Parmesan cheese
Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

1. Pour water into 4-quart pot. Bring to boil over medium high heat. Once water is boiling add 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Add pasta. Stir to prevent sticking. Once water comes back to boil, lower heat until water is simmering. Cook 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. While pasta cooks, mix flour with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/8 teaspoon of pepper. Dredge chicken in flour mixture.
3. Heat sauté pan over medium high heat. Once pan is hot, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Once oil is hot (not smoking), carefully place chicken strips into the pan. Cook 2-3 minutes or until chicken is golden on bottom side. Reduce heat to medium, turn chicken strips over and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
4. While chicken is cooking, mix together sun-dried tomatoes, 3/4 cup olive oil, and the garlic. Add the spinach.
5. Once chicken is cooked, place both the chicken and hot pasta into bowl with sun-dried tomatoes, then add cheeses and toss to mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper. The heat from the chicken and pasta will melt the cheeses.

Last edited by lynninpa; 12-01-2007 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:40 PM   #507
melissaknits
Mouseketeer

I used to bake all my own bread, and agree totally with the chef, but would add that I stopped using little yeast packets pretty early on and used big vacuum sealed bricks of yeast from BJ's/Costco type places instead. I always had much better results from the big bricks. Once opened it is no longer a brick, just loose yeast granules. We kept it in a plastic snap-lid thing in the fridge thaat we got from the King Arthur store in Vermont called a Bee House I believe and intended for honey storage, and always bloomed it before using in warm water with a tiny bit of sweet (sugar, honey, maple syrup; recipe dependent) to feed it and get a good foam going. I use a Kicthen Aid mixer with a dough hook, and watch my dough carefully. I should say WATCHED! I've been diagnosed with 'gluten intolerance' which means no more wheat, and all these lovely bread-y things are totally off limits now.

Fun story - once, while doing one of those "how well do you know your mate" quizzes, I said to DH "What's my favorite flower??" He thought for a moment, very seriously with furrowed brow, and said "King Arthur!" Total Gold Star for that one.

Dec 1997 - 1998 - 1999
Feb 2001 - Dec 2001 - Dec 2004
Dec 2006 - Jan 2008 - Jan 2009
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter

melissaknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 06:04 PM   #508
apostolic4life
Chef Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaknits View Post
I used to bake all my own bread, and agree totally with the chef, but would add that I stopped using little yeast packets pretty early on and used big vacuum sealed bricks of yeast from BJ's/Costco type places instead. I always had much better results from the big bricks. Once opened it is no longer a brick, just loose yeast granules. We kept it in a plastic snap-lid thing in the fridge thaat we got from the King Arthur store in Vermont called a Bee House I believe and intended for honey storage, and always bloomed it before using in warm water with a tiny bit of sweet (sugar, honey, maple syrup; recipe dependent) to feed it and get a good foam going.
Yes, the vacuum packed brick of yeast granules is preferable and it stores well in the freezer. The sugar in the water will speed up the reaction, but the yeast will bloom without it.......I bloom without sugar so I can see how active the yeast is without any catalyst. If the yeast is getting a little old and doesn't bloom well enough on its own I add a little extra.....no measurement I can relay about adding extra yeast, it is just a "third sense" I have developed through experience.

DS3:
Old 12-02-2007, 10:08 AM   #509
lynninpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaknits View Post
Fun story - once, while doing one of those "how well do you know your mate" quizzes, I said to DH "What's my favorite flower??" He thought for a moment, very seriously with furrowed brow, and said "King Arthur!" Total Gold Star for that one.
Great story! And thank you for the baking tips, melissa!
Old 12-02-2007, 10:19 AM   #510
lynninpa

Portobello Yacht Club: Chocolate Paradiso

A simple yet yummy dessert!

Portobello Yacht Club: Chocolate Paradiso

1 boxed Devil's Food Cake mix (Pillsbury Plus recommended)
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 lb chocolate chips
3 cups toffee pieces
1 ounce cocoa powder

Follow directions on the box for baking the cake. To make ganache: Heat heavy cream just to a boil and then remove from heat. Add in chocolate chips and whisk until well blended and all chips have melted.
Once cake is cool, cut in half lengthwise. Place 6 ounces of ganache on each cake layer and spread evenly. Sprinkle each with 1 cup of toffee pieces. Flip top layer onto bottom layer and press gently. Spread remaining ganache over and around cake. Dust top of cake with cocoa powder.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: