Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2011, 05:33 PM   #3016
TWyn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoBlu6 View Post
I tried to order and I can't find the book. Can you tell me where I can buy the book. Thank you
I ordered mine from disneystore.com a few days before Christmas. It looks like it's not listed there, now. Maybe they are just out of stock after the holidays. Did you try Walt Disney World mail order? I bet you can order it from there.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:40 PM   #3017
ColoBlu6
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWyn View Post
I ordered mine from disneystore.com a few days before Christmas. It looks like it's not listed there, now. Maybe they are just out of stock after the holidays. Did you try Walt Disney World mail order? I bet you can order it from there.
No, I didn't try that, thank you for your help....
ColoBlu6 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2011, 05:42 PM   #3018
TWyn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
No, I didn't try that, thank you for your help....
You're welcome. Hope you can find it.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:03 PM   #3019
newdrama12
DIS Veteran

Croissant Berry Pudding
Sunshine Seasons
The Land Pavilion, Epcot

Ingredients:

1.5 pounds of croissants
24 oz heavy cream
8 oz eggs
6 oz sugar
1 Tbs vanilla extract
3 oz blueberries

Method of Preparation:

Mix all except the blueberries and croissants, then add blueberries and pour over croissants. Cover and bake for 40 mins at 350, remove foil and bake add'l 15-20 minutes.

Dark Chocolate Sensation Mini-Cupcakes
Dessert Kiosk (2010 Food and Wine Festival)
Makes 20 miniature cakes

Miniature Cakes
3/4 cup butter
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 egg
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup sour cream
3/4 cup all-purpose flour

Chocolate Mousse
5 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups well chilled heavy cream
Chocolate shavings, for garnish

For miniature chocolate cakes:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F
2. Melt butter by microwaving for 45 to 60 seconds in a microwave safe bowl. Whisk in cocoa powder; cool.
3. Meanwhile, combine egg and sugar in a large bowl. Whip with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add sour cream, and mix at low speed until well blended. With mixer running, add butter mixture. Mix until smooth. Slowly add flour in three batches, mixing until just smooth.
4. Pour batter by the tablespoonful into the wells of a miniature cupcake pan.
5. Bake for 15 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely, at least three hours.

For chocolate mousse:
1. Place chocolate in a medium, heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir until melted; set aside. While chocolate melts, combine egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl. Whip until doubled in size and fluffy, about two minutes.
2. When chocolate is melted, slowly add it to the egg yoke mixture, stirring until combined. Mixture may be thick and slightly stiff.
3. Set aside to cool to room temperature. Meanwhile, whip cream in a large bowl using an electric mixer until medium peaks form. Refrigerate until ready to use.
4. When chocolate mixture is at room temperature, add a small amount of whipped cream. Stir vigorously to lighten mixture. Working in four batches, gently fold remaining whipped cream into chocolate mixture. Cover bowl, and refrigerate for one hour.

For serving:
1. Put chocolate mousse in a piping bag with a medium star-shaped tip. Swirl mousse on top of each mini cupcake. Garnish with chocolate shavings. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to one hour.

Cooks Notes : if miniature cakes are not completely cool, the chocolate mousse will melt. To create chocolate shavings, drag a vegetable peeler along the longest side of a chocolate bar.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #3020
newdrama12
DIS Veteran

Grilled Sirloin with Chimichurri Sauce and Mashed Boniato
Argentina (2010 Food and Wine Festival)
Serves 4

For the chimichurri:
1 large white onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
2 Tablespoons finely chopped garlic
1/2 teaspoon saffron threads, dissolved in 1 Tablespoon water
1 cup white wine vinegar
1 cup olive oil
Coarse salt, freshly ground black pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

For the boniato:
1 1/2 pounds boniato, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup salted butter, softened and cut into small cubes
1 teapoon finely chopped garlic
1 cup heavy cream
Coarse salt, freshly ground black pepper to taste

Cook boniato in a large pan of boiling salted water for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and transfer to a mixing bowl. Mash with a fork until smooth, mixing in butter, garlic, cream. Season with salt and pepper and set aside and keep warm.

For the sirloin:
1 pound sirloin
coarse sea salt

1. Rub the sirloin with salt and grill over charcoal for 8 to 10 minutes or until desired doneness. Allow to rest for 10 minutes and carve into thin slices.

2. To serve, divide the potatoes and beef on 4 plates, and serve chimichurri sauce on the side.

Pear Streusel Pudding Cake
Makes 1 9" cake

Pear Cake
1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 egg
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 teaspoons melted butter
3/4 roll of prepared sugar cookie dough
1 cup prepared vanilla pudding
1 can pear halves in fruit juice, drained and thinly sliced
1 cup streusel topping (below)

1. Using a paddle, mix cream cheese, sugar, and flour until smooth. Do not whip. Add egg, and mix until smooth. Add heavy cream and butter, mixing until smooth.
2. Press dough into the bottom and halfway up sides of a 9 " tart or pie pan with removable bottom. Spread the vanilla pudding on top of dough evenly. Pour cream cheese mixture over vanilla pudding.
3. Evenly placed pairs on top. Sprinkle streusel topping over pears.
4. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until cake feels firm to the touch and streusel is golden. Refrigerate for at least six hours, or overnight. Bring to room temperature before slicing.

Streusel Topping
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 stick of butter, melted

Combine flour and sugar in a medium bowl. Add butter. Mix with a fork until large crumbs form.

Strawberry Angel Verrine
Serves 6

Angel Food Cake
12 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon of Cream of Tartar
1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
1 cup cake flour

Strawberry Sauce
6 large strawberries
2 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons strawberry jam

Strawberry Angel Verrine
Angel Food Cake cubes
1 1/2 cups prepared vanilla pudding
Strawberry Sauce
6 to 12 strawberries, diced

For angel food cake:
1. Place egg whites in a bowl of an electric mixer. Set aside until egg whites are at room temperature.
2. Beat egg whites at medium speed until frothy. Add Cream of Tartar. Turn mixer speed to medium-high, and whisk until medium peaks form.
3. Meanwhile, sift confectioners sugar and flour into a large bowl. When egg whites are beaten, sprinkle 1/4 of the flour mixture over the top of the egg whites. Gently fold to incorporate. Fold in remaining flour mixture, working in 3 batches, until combined. Be very careful not to stir the mixture, or egg whites will deflate.
4. Pour mixture into an ungreased tube panel, smoothing top. Bake for 35 minutes, or until golden brown, and top springs back when lightly touched. Turn pan upside down to cool. When cake is cool, cut into 1/2 inch cubes

For Strawberry sauce:
Combine strawberries and water in a blender; purée. Place purée in a medium bowl and whisk in strawberry jam.

To serve:
1. Spoon 1 tablespoon strawberry sauce in the bottom of a small dessert glass.
2. Add a layer of angel food cake cubes. Add 2 tablespoons vanilla pudding, spreading to form an even layer.
3. Top with 1 to 2 chopped strawberries, depending on size of berries. If desired drizzle each serving with any remaining strawberry sauce.

Cook's Notes : served as a start or finish to a meal, a verrine is from the French word verre for "glass" and is composed of complementary layers in a glass. Wine glasses are ideal for serving this sweet version.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:07 PM   #3021
Tinker_Belle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I tried to order and I can't find the book. Can you tell me where I can buy the book. Thank you
Amazon has it now http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B0049YMDLW
Old 01-16-2011, 09:48 AM   #3022
ColoBlu6
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker_Belle View Post
Thank you
I tried to order it but I couldn't using the ISBN#. How new is this
cookbook do you know?
Old 01-16-2011, 12:06 PM   #3023
TWyn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you
I tried to order it but I couldn't using the ISBN#. How new is this
cookbook do you know?
It just came out within the last few months. The copyright is 2010, and I know I didn't see it when I was at Disney World in October.

Tammy
Old 01-16-2011, 08:16 PM   #3024
ColoBlu6
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWyn View Post
It just came out within the last few months. The copyright is 2010, and I know I didn't see it when I was at Disney World in October.

Tammy
Going to Disneyland this weekend I sure hope they have it. Before I order it online. I will keep you posted
Old 01-16-2011, 08:25 PM   #3025
ColoBlu6
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesmate View Post

I noticed that the 50's Prime Time Café version that Hmbldr mentioned wasn't listed in the index. I'm posting that one with a few others from the Prime Time.

Prime Time Pot Roast
Prime Time Cafe

5 lbs Top or bottom round roast
1½ c Dry red wine
1 Onion, diced
2 Carrots, peeled and diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 stalk celery, diced
6 c Beef Bouillon
¼ c Olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Brown the meat on all sides and remove the meat to a roasting pan. Pour the wine around the meat. Sauté the cut vegetables until golden brown and add to the roasting pan. Pour the beef bouillon into the pan. Pour liquid over the roast and cover. Cook 30-45 minutes per pound. Remove from oven and let rest for 15 minutes.
I am making this for dinner and I am about the 6 c beef bouillon do i need to add water to this or is this only 6 cubes and no water.. I did it with water and didn't use 6 cubes just wasn't sure.
Thank you ahead of time.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:30 PM   #3026
Hmbldr
Displaced Imagineer

Quote:
I am making this for dinner and I am about the 6 c beef bouillon do i need to add water to this or is this only 6 cubes and no water.. I did it with water and didn't use 6 cubes just wasn't sure.
Thank you ahead of time.
I make this with 6 cups of beef stock, either bought canned or made up with beef base. Works fine everytime for me.

Hmbldr
Sept '84 - tent Fort Wilderness & Contemporary S Wing
Dec/Jan 85/'86 - Contemporary MK Tower
Oct '87 - Grand Floridian Conceirge, Oct '88 - Grand Floridian Conceirge Oct '89 - Grand Floridian Conceirge
Dec '92 - Contemporary N Wing
Dec '94 - Carribean Beach Dec '97 - Carribean Beach
April '98 - Disney Institute
Dec '99 - Port Orleans Dixie Landings
April '08 - Beach Club
June/July '14 - Bonnet Creek Resort
Hmbldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:50 PM   #3027
ColoBlu6
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmbldr View Post
I make this with 6 cups of beef stock, either bought canned or made up with beef base. Works fine everytime for me.

Hmbldr
Super,, Thank you I like beef broth better, but always try to cook it the first time the way its written. Have a great evening and thanks again.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:55 PM   #3028
ColoBlu6
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker_Belle View Post
Disney Store online has the cookbook now. I just ordered
Old 01-18-2011, 04:03 AM   #3029
TWyn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Disney Store online has the cookbook now. I just ordered
Great! I'm glad you were able to order it.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:03 AM   #3030
Tatania
Disney Foodie

NewDrama12 - Thanks for posting all those recipes however, as much as possible we want to avoid posting duplicates. Some of the recipes at All Ears are ones I've sent in and have already posted here (ie. the Food and Wine Fesival recipes). I know it's tricky because I don't think the index is updated anymore - but could be wrong.
I have the Black Forest cake recipe that someone requested from Biergarten but haven't had time to transcribe it yet. Looking forward to seeing the new recipes from the cookbook. Amazon couldn't fulfill the order so will try the Disney shop as well.

Asopao de Pollo (Chicken Soup with Rice)
2010 Epcot Food and Wine Festival, Puerto Rico
Serves 6

Sofrito Ingredients:
1/2 tablespoon culantro (see Cook's Notes below)
2 tablespoons cilantro
1 cup Spanish olives
1/2 cup green pepper
1/2 cup roasted red pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano

Asopao de Pollo Ingredients:
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1/2 cup sofrito
1/2 cup sliced Spanish olives
1/2 cup roasted red peppers, diced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 bay leaves
1/2 cup white wine
1/3 cup uncooked white rice
8 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup chopped culantro (see Cook's Notes below)
Coarse salt, to taste
Ground black pepper, to taste

Sofrito Instructions:
Place all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor, and pulse until very finely chopped. Set aside.

Asopao de Pollo Instructions:
1. Heat oil in a stockpot over medium-high heat. Add chicken thighs and sofrito; saute until chicken is seared on the outside.
2. Add olives, roasted peppers, tomato paste and bay leaves, and saue, stirring, for 3 minutes.
3. Add white wine, stirring to combine. Simmer until liquid is reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Add rice and chicken stock.
4. Simmer soup until chicken and rice are cooked. Remove chicken thighs, and transfer to a cutting board. Chop or shred chicken into small pieces, and return to the pot.
5. Stir in culantro, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove bay leaves before serving.

Cook's Note: Culantro is an herb very similar in flavor to cilantro. It is available in Asian or Latin American grocery stores. Cilantro may be substituted.

I had lunch this summer at the Wine Country Trattoria in DL and it was delicious.

Arugula Salad with Fig Balsamic & Spiced Walnuts
Wine Country Trattoria, Disney California Adventure
Serves 4

Arugula Salad Ingredients:
15 dried black mission figs, divided
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup warm water
1 cup prepared balsamic dressing
4 cups baby arugula
4 cups mixed baby greens
1/2 cup shaved or thinly sliced fennel bulb
1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
1 pound shredded smoked chicken (about 4 cups)
1 cup Spiced Walnuts
1/2 cup shaved aged (hard) goat cheese
Coarse salt and ground black pepper, to taste

Spiced Walnuts Ingredients:
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup walnut halves
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil

For arugula salad:
1. Cut stems off of 12 figs; cut in half lengthwise. Combine balsamic vinegar and water in a medium bowl. Add halved figs to the balsamic mixture. Soak for at least 3 hours, and up to overnight. Drain figs, discarding soaking liquid.
2. Cut stems off of remaining 3 figs. Combine figs and prepared balsamic dressing in a blender. Puree until smooth. Set aside.
3. Combine arugula, mixed baby greens, shaved fennel, and red onion in a large bowl. Toss to combine. Place salad mixture into each of 4 serving bowls. Top each serving evenly with chicken. Drizzle each serving evenly with dressing, and top with halved figs, goat cheese, and walnuts.

For spiced walnuts:
1. Combine spices in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
2. Combine walnut halves and oil in a small saute pan over medium-high heat. Saute, stirring constantly, until walnuts start to toast and turn golden, about 2 minutes.
3. Sprinkle spice mixture over walnuts. Cook, tossing constantly, until walnuts are coated and mixture is fragrant, about 3 minutes.
4. Transfer walnuts to a plate to cool completely. Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

Halibut with Tomato-Vegetable Ragu
Serves 4

1/2 cup 1/2-inch diced Yukon gold potato
4 (8-ounce, 1/2-inch thick) filets fresh halibut
3/4 teaspoon coarse salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 shallot, chopped
1 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup of yellow pear tomatoes
1 (14.5-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
1 cup 2-inch chopped green beans
1/2 cup chopped artichoke hearts
1/4 cup prepared basil pesto
1 lemon, juiced
Garnish: microgreens, chopped fresh basil

1. Place diced potato in a small saucepan; cover with cold water. Cook over high heat until potatoes are just tender, approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add garlic and shallot, sauteing until golden and fragrant.
3. Add wine and pear tomatoes and cook for 30 seconds, lightly scraping the pan. Add cooked potatoes and stewed tomatoes, stirring to combine. Add artichoke hearts and green beans. Simmer until green beans are tender.
4. Meanwhile, season halibut evenly with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper on both sides. Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to a large saute pan over medium-high heat. When oil shimmers, place fish in pan, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Flip, and cook the second side for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
5. Mix prepared pesto and lemon juice in a medium bowl; set aside.
6. Evenly divide tomato mixture among 4 serving dishes. Top with fish. Drizzle each with lemon-pesto mixture. Garnish with the microgreens and basil.

Broccolini Aglio Olio
Serves 4

5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1/4 cup chopped garlic
1/4 cup chopped shallots
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1 bunch broccollini cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 cups cooked short-cut pasta (such as campanelle, penne, or rotini)
4 generous handfuls fresh arugula
3 generous handfuls fresh baby spinach
1 lemon, juiced
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 to 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)

1. Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large saute pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add garlic and shallots, stirring constantly. Cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Be careful not to burn garlic.
2. Add red pepper flakes and broccolini, stirring to coat in oil. Cook until the broccolini is just tender.
3. Add tomatoes, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper to the pan. Add pasta, arugula, spinach, lemon juice, and wine to the pan. Increase the heat to high. Cook, tossing, until spinach and arugula are wilted slightly, about 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Drizzle in remaining 2 tablespoons oil, tossing to combine. Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, and grated Parmesan cheese, if using. Serve immediately.

Steak Diane
Lake Buena Vista Club, WDW, Archival
Serves 4

Burgundy sauce
6 tablespoons Burgundy wine
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots
1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon flour
2 cups beef stock
1 tablespoon crushed tomatoes
Coarse salt, freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Steaks
8 teaspoons butter, divided
4 (6-ounce) New York strip steaks, trimmed
3 tablespoons brandy
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
8 sliced mushrooms
Burgundy sauce

For Burgundy sauce:
Stir together Burgundy, onion, shallots, and garlic in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat; simmer until wine evaporates. Add butter and allow it to melt, then stir in flour, cooking and stirring for 2 to 3 minutes.
Add beef stock and stir with a whisk until mixture boils and becomes smooth.
Add tomatoes and simmer 20 more minutes, or until mixture thickens to coat the back of a spoon. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Strain and keep warm.

For steaks:
Heat 4 teaspoons of butter in a skillet large enough to hold 4 steaks.
Sauté steaks to desired doneness, turning to cook both sides. Add remaining butter, if needed.
Add brandy, remove the pan from the heat to ignite, and then return to the heat. When the flame has burned out, remove steaks from pan and keep warm.
Sauté garlic, onions, and mushrooms in the same skillet; stir in Burgundy sauce and season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and cook 2 to 3 minutes; add steaks and simmer 2 to 3 minutes. Serve immediately.

Oscar’s Potatoes
Carnation Café, Disneyland
Serves 4 to 6

1 large white onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
4 tablespoons butter, divided
2 pounds red potatoes, thinly sliced
Preheat oven to 400°F. Sauté onions in 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium heat until translucent; remove from pan and set aside. In the same pan, add remaining butter and potatoes and sauté until lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Combine the onions and potatoes in an ovenproof casserole dish; cover with foil and make small slits for ventilation. Bake 45 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Serve hot.
Note: This is from the Oscar’s Choice Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with cheddar cheese, Oscar’s potatoes, a croissant and your choice of bacon or sausage with fresh fruit — served daily.

First visit to WDW in 1976. Many times since then.

Last edited by Tatania; 01-29-2011 at 02:32 AM.
Tatania is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: