Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2008, 11:19 PM   #2431
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Smokehouse Ranch Dressing

Because it's tomato season, I made the Tomato Salad from the Biergarten and it was exactly like the German tomato salad my Mom makes. I really like it because it's what I'm used to.

I also made the Smokehouse Ranch Dressing today from Cooking with Mickey and the Chefs of Walt Disney World Resort and the liquid smoke adds an interesting twist to the recipe. The dressing is very thick and there's a note on it saying that you can use it as a dip for vegetables, chicken wings, or chips. It's supposed to be used on green or vegetable salads. Since I don't see it in our index I'll post it here.

BTW, is anybody going to the Food and Wine Festival this year and can get a few new recipes? The Mail Order services doesn't want to send out the cookbook anymore and I'm hoping I might find somebody who can buy it and send it my way. However, the cookbook only has recipes from the booths and they tend to repeat each other a lot. What would be interesting, is to get some of the recipes from the demonstrations.

Smokehouse Ranch Dressing
Boatwright's Dining Hall, Chef Michael Deardorff
Makes about 3/4 cup

1/3 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons half-and-half
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
1/2 teaspoon Malt or Apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon leaves, crumbled
1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
1/8 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/8 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/8 teaspoon dried dill weed
A pinch of cayenne pepper, or to taste

1. In medium bowl, whisk together all ingredients until well combined.
2. Chill, covered, until cold, about 30 minutes. Use immediately or store, covered & chilled, for up to 3 days.

First visit to WDW in 1976. Many times since then.

Tatania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:50 AM   #2432
shovan
DIS Veteran

I received this recipe from culinary demonstrations at the F&W Fest last year '07. It is wonderful & really worth the time it take to prepare it.

Chris Santos
The Stanton Social, Brooklyn, NY
Wasabi Pea Crusted Tuna
with Soba Noodle & Beet salad, Asian Pesto Serves 4

For the Tuna Preparation
1 bag Wasabi Peas
Wasabi Powder, or premade tube of wasabi 'paste'
1 pound tuna loin # 1 (sushi grade)

For the Soba-noodle Salad
1 bag soba noodles
1 large beet,
roasted and diced 1/4 cup roasted cashews
1 red pepper,julienne very thin
1 carrot, julienne very thin

For the Vinaigrette
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon ginger juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1 bunch scallions, sliced thin 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
1/4 bunch Thai basil, or regular basil if unavailable, chopped

Asian 'Pesto'
1 cups cashews
4 cloves garlic
1 tbsp chop ginger
juice of 2 limes
1 tbsp fish sauce
l/2 cups blended oil
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup thai basil leaves,
picked 1/2 cup basil leaves,
picked 1/4 cup mint leaves
1 tsp Chinese chile paste, or to taste
Salt as needed ---just a touch!

Crush wasabi peas in food processor or chop coarsely with a heavy knife. Make a wasabi paste by combining 1 tsp wasabi powder with 3 tbsp cold water; or use pre-made wasabi paste (available in the sushi department of fine supermarkets).
For tuna, cut into four, 4-ounce portions. Spread wasabi paste on all sides of each portion, and then crust with crushed wasabi peas. Repeat.
Boil Soba noodles until 'al dente' as you would any Italian pasta in salted water. For the beets, wrap in aluminum foil with a splash of extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast in 450°F oven until fork tender. Cool and dice.
For Soba noodle 'salad', make a quick dressing by combining 'vinaigrette' ingredients listed above, and then toss soba noodles with diced beets, roasted cashews, julienne vegetables and vinaigrette to coat.

For the Asian Pesto, combine all the ingredients in robocoupe. Quickly sear tuna portions in grape seed oil, crust side down for 1 minute. Place in 450°F oven 2 minutes longer; or until rare to just medium rare.
Place salad on plate and lay tuna over. Garnish with chopped scallions and tablespoon of pesto. Optional---serve a little wasabi paste and vinaigrette on the side; a la sushi.

shovan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2008, 09:54 AM   #2433
shovan
DIS Veteran

Here is another one from 2007 Culinary Demonstrations. This one is really easy & delicious. Looks very impressive too!

Wild King Salmon with Dried Cherries and Smoked Almond Beurre Noisette
Guest Chef Braiden Rex-Johnson Seattle Food Writer and Cookbook Author

This recipe from Pacific Northwest Wining & Dining was created by Kevin Davis, chef/owner of Steelhead Diner in Seattle’s famous Pike Place Market. It showcases two of the Northwest’s iconic ingredients: wild salmon and dried cherries. The browned butter, called beurre noisette in French, adds rich nutty flavor. Enjoy this dish with a lush Oregon Pinot Noir.
Serves 4
Macerated Cherries
·1 cup dried cherries
·1 cup port or Madeira (For a nonalcoholic alternative substitute cherry juice.)

Salmon
·Four 6-ounce center-cut wild salmon fillets, skinned
·2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
·Kosher salt
·Freshly ground black pepper

Buerre Noisette
·1 stick unsalted butter
·1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
·Freshly grated zest of 1 orange
·1 cup lightly crushed smoked almonds

Place cherries in a glass bowl. Bring port to a boil in a saucepan and pour over the cherries. Cover with plastic wrap and steep 30 minutes. Drain cherries, pat dry and set aside.
Heat a stovetop grill pan over medium heat, or prepare a medium-low fire in a gas or charcoal grill. Brush salmon lightly with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place salmon, skin side down (if not using skinned fillets), on the grill. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, turn the fish, and cook 3 to 4 minutes longer for medium rare or longer to desired doneness.
While the fish is grilling, melt butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook until the butter turns brown and gives off a nutty aroma, stirring occasionally. Be careful not to burn the butter.
Remove the skillet from the heat and add rosemary, orange zest, almonds and cherries, stirring after adding each ingredient. Season with salt and pepper. Be careful when adding the first two ingredients, as the butter may sizzle and pop.
Place salmon on four dinner plates, top with the browned butter and serve immediately.

Chef’s Tip: Yukon River King salmon has a very high fat content and will tend to flame up if cooked too fast. It’s always a good idea to have a water bottle handy, just in case. Don’t leave the grill unattended at any time throughout the cooking process. Also, Chef Kevin has an easy way to prevent overcooking your fish. When using a traditional grill, simply turn the grill off when the fish is slightly underdone; this allows the carryover heat to finish cooking the fish.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:45 AM   #2434
Tatania
Disney Foodie

shovan - Oh my gosh - thanks SO much for sharing these recipes. Both sound amazing and makes me wish I could get to the Food and Wine Festival one of these years. it would mean taking an unpaid business leave but it just might be worth it for the experience. I'll give these a try when I'm back from Asia at the end of the month.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:38 AM   #2435
shovan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatania View Post
shovan - Oh my gosh - thanks SO much for sharing these recipes. Both sound amazing and makes me wish I could get to the Food and Wine Festival one of these years. it would mean taking an unpaid business leave but it just might be worth it for the experience. I'll give these a try when I'm back from Asia at the end of the month.
I hope you enjoy the recipes! We love both of these. I don't know if you are counting calories, but I am. I've done the beurre noisette with a lot less butter, adding orange juice. Still tastes amazing. Oh, I don't drain the cherries, I add the cherries with the port to beurre noisette. I'm not wasting cherry infused port!

Have a good trip!

Old 10-02-2008, 07:27 PM   #2436
Tatania
Disney Foodie

SPAGHETTINI FRUTTI Di MARE

SPAGHETTINI FRUTTI Di MARE
Portobello Yacht Club, Downtown Disney

1 pound Spaghettini (dry semolina pasta)
1 cup Dry white wine
2 ounces Olive oil
3 cups Tomato Basil Sauce
¾ pound Shrimp (peeled)
¾ pound Scallops
1 pound Hard Shell Clams
½ pound King Crab Legs

1. Steam clams until open, drain and reserve.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
3. Cook pasta at rolling boil while preparing seafood sauce.
4. Sauté shrimp and scallops in olive oil.
5. Deglaze with white wine and reduce.
6. Add tomato basil sauce and bring to simmer.
7. Add cooked clams in the shell and crab legs. Cook to heat through.
8. Season with salt and pepper.
9. When pasta is just underdone, drain and add to seafood and tomato sauce.
10. Toss to combine and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more to finish pasta.
11.Divide in four pasta bowls.

Tips:
1. Fully cooked and frozen Alaskan crab legs can be purchased in most grocery stores.
2. Tomato basil sauce may be prepared from scratch (recipe below) or you may use your favorite store brand.
3. Be sure to use dry white wine for cooking. Don't cook with wine that you would not drink.

Tomato Basil Sauce
1 large can Plum Tomatoes in juice
2 Tbsp chopped garlic
2 Tbsp olive oil
¼ cup chopped fresh basil
1. Lightly brown garlic in olive oil in a heavy pot.
2. Crush tomatoes by squeezing them in your hands.
3. Add tomatoes and juice to garlic and olive oil.
4. Simmer to reduce by about one third.
5. Add chopped basil and season with salt and pepper.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:43 PM   #2437
foodlover_US
Mouseketeer

Hi Tatania,

The Spaghetti-recipe you have given is wonderful. I tried it. Spaghetti recipes I knew so far were spaghetti with marinara sauce and Spaghetti Carbonara.

Spaghetti with marinara sauce recipe.

A steaming plate of al dente spaghetti with homemade sauce and a sprinkle of cheese needs;

1 lb spaghetti
2 cups tomato sauce
1 1/2 oz finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (2/3 cup).

Preparation
Cook spaghetti in a 6- to 8-quart pot of boiling salted water until al dente.
While spaghetti is boiling, reheat tomato sauce in a 12-inch skillet over low heat until hot. Drain pasta and add to skillet. Toss to coat, then serve with cheese.

Makes 4 main-course servings within 20 mints.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:17 AM   #2438
Tikitoi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesmate View Post
There is a Honey Lime Dressing recipe on page 29 that is from 'Ohana. Maybe that's what you're looking for? If not, please visit our index thread for help in requesting recipes directly from WDW: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post25003776 (see post #4)
You are probably right. Thank you.
OPINIONS ARE ULTIMATELY DETERMINED BY FEELINGS AND NOT BY INTELLECT Disneyland 2X...Disney Cruise 1X...Disney World 9X...And still counting for ALL...http://www.disboards.com/showthread....804324...Vegas TR

You're just a board...get over yourself!

Tikitoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:57 AM   #2439
denman007

DIS Veteran

Hi.

I am looking for the exact recipe for the margarita at ohana's or cape may as they tasted exactly the same.

Thanks.
denman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 01:37 PM   #2440
figgy4me
Disney Crazy

Kona Cafe bread recipe?

Hoping someone can give me the recipe to the new bread at the Kona. They are serving it at Dinner with Macadamia Nut Butter....... It is out of this world. DH & I at the whole thing waiting for our meal.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:05 PM   #2441
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by figgy4me View Post
Kona Cafe bread recipe?

Hoping someone can give me the recipe to the new bread at the Kona. They are serving it at Dinner with Macadamia Nut Butter....... It is out of this world. DH & I at the whole thing waiting for our meal.
The Polynesian is a very tough place to get recipes from after the fact as they tend NOT to respond to written requests for recipes. I've written regarding the bread a few times and nothing. Your best bet is to ask someone who is going (check the trip reports) and see if they would get it from their server. I got a stash of recipes from my server at the Kona Cafe.

Quote:
I am looking for the exact recipe for the margarita at ohana's or cape may as they tasted exactly the same.
Regarding the Margarita request: do you mean the Maui Margarita, the Grand Margarita, the Cactus Pear Margarita, the Passion Fruit Margarita, the Patron Platinum Margarita or the Patron PAMA-rita - as all are on the menu?

Old 10-04-2008, 06:25 PM   #2442
figgy4me
Disney Crazy

Quote:
The Polynesian is a very tough place to get recipes from after the fact as they tend NOT to respond to written requests for recipes. I've written regarding the bread a few times and nothing. Your best bet is to ask someone who is going (check the trip reports) and see if they would get it from their server. I got a stash of recipes from my server at the Kona Cafe.

I just knew I would not have a problem. After all, I could just come to the disboards and find ANYTHING!

Oh, well...... next time I will have to ask - even if I just think I might want it.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:47 PM   #2443
Debbie6221
I do believe hangers are against me!

I have been searching high and low for the salad recipe from 1900 Park Fare Gala feast. I am pretty sure it was a Greek salad. It had olives, onions, dark greens and even capers in it! Oh, I loved it!

Our trips since 2002……
I had DD in November2002 ......Let the FUN begin! OCTOBER2003 GF DD's 1st trip OCTOBER2004 GF MAY2005 POP & POLYOCTOBER2006 GF DS's 1st Trip & 1st Birthday JUNE2007 AKL My 40thBirthday NOVEMBER2007 GF DDs 5th Birthday SEPTEMBER2008 ASM GF Free Dining JUNE2009PolyOCTOBER2009GFClubLevel-2 nightsOctober2010PolyClubLevelAugust2011PolyClubLevel2nights
Debbie6221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:41 PM   #2444
denman007

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Regarding the Margarita request: do you mean the Maui Margarita, the Grand Margarita, the Cactus Pear Margarita, the Passion Fruit Margarita, the Patron Platinum Margarita or the Patron PAMA-rita - as all are on the menu?
I would assume it was the Grand. I simply asked for a margarita and they brought me one. Thanks.
denman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:24 PM   #2445
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Raglan Road recipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottiemom View Post
We were just at Raglan Road on Sunday and I had the Salmon of Knowledge (broiled salmon wrapped in smoked salmon). It was absolutely amazing! I didn't see the recipe listed here (and of course didn't think to ask for the recipe while at the restaurant because I figured I could find it on the Dis) so I've emailed & asked for it. Of course I'll post it but if anyone happens to have it already could you let me know? I'm dying to make it for dinner.
Raglan Road sent me the instructions for this but it was very bare bones (like no details on how to make the mashed potatoes, leeks, cook the salmon or the amount of each ingredient). Luckily Kevin Dundon demonstrates many of his recipes on the UKTV food network (and other shows) plus he has a website which features loads of his recipes - including many from his cookbook. He did an almost identical recipe on UKTV which I used (plus his recipes for mashed potatoes and sauteed leeks) to fill in the blanks.

Salmon of Knowledge - fresh salmon topped with smoked salmon, baked and served with a maple glaze
Raglan Road, Pleasure island, WDW
Serves 4

4 slices of salmon filet (about 8 oz each) cut in even pieces; no tails.
4 slices of Smoked salmon
salt and freshly ground pepper
Butter
Mashed Potatoes (below)
Vegetables (below)
Maple Beurre Blanc (below)

Make Mashed Potatoes and keep warm. Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas 5. Top each piece of salmon with a slice of smoked salmon and place in a greased roasting tray. Top with a pat of butter and season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Roast the salmon for 7 minutes until medium rare. Meanwhile prepare the vegetables and Maple Beurre Blanc.
Plate: use an 11 3/4 “ plate and place salmon on a bed of mashed potatoes and leek mix. Drizzle the sauce on each salmon portion. Garnish with parsley.

Mashed potatoes: Cover 1 pound (for 4 servings) potatoes with cold water in a pan and add a pinch of salt. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 15-20 minutes or until completely tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife. Drain the potatoes in a colander and then peel while they are still hot. Push through a potato ricer or sieve using a spatula. Quickly heat 3 tbsp. milk in a pan. Beat 1 oz. butter into the warm mashed potato and then add enough milk to make a smooth but firm puree. Season to taste.

For the vegetables (4 servings)
25g Butter
60g shiitake mushrooms
4 cherry tomatoes
1 small leek, chopped
Heat the butter in a small saucepan and add the mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, and leeks and fry for 4-5 minutes, until softened. Serve immediately.

Maple Beurre Blanc
50ml White wine
20g chilled Butter
100ml whipping cream
30ml Salt, and freshly ground pepper
Bring the white wine to the boil in a small saucepan and cook briskly until reduced by half. Mix in the butter, the cream and maple syrup.

Instructions for the salad were also bare bones. Hope someone has a picture or has had the sald and can say how thick the pears are sliced and if there really were 4 per serving?

Rialto Salad
Raglan Road, Pleasure Island, WDW

4 pears
1 oz toasted pecans (or walnuts)
2 vine-ripened tomatoes, oven roasted
2 oz. San Daniele Prosciutto
2 each Prosciutto di Parma
4 oz mache lettuce
3 Tbsp. Brown sugar
Balsamic dressing, to taste (recipe below)
1 oz. Parmesan Cheese

Oven dry the ham. Roast the vine-ripened tomatoes in Olive Oil and a salt/pepper mix. Saute the pears in brown sugar, being sure to leave them crunchy. Toss lettuce, tomatoes, pecans, pears, and parmesan in the Balsamic Dressing. Top with 2 kinds of prosciutto. Serve in half bowl.

Balsamic Vinaigrette
Makes about 175 ml/6 fl oz

50 ml/2 fl oz balsamic vinegar (preferably 9 year old Toschi)
150 ml/1/4 pint olive oil
2 tsp Dijon mustard
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Place the balsamic vinegar in a screw-topped jar, add a good pinch of salt and shake until the salt has dissolved.
Add the olive oil to the jar with the mustard and shake again until you have formed a thick emulsion. Season to taste and chill until needed.
Cooks Note: This will keep happily in the fridge for up to one month. It takes just minutes to make and is far superior to any shop-bought alternatives.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: