Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2008, 11:52 AM   #2371
PennieGirl
Earning My Ears

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatania View Post
Sauerbraten
Served at Biergarten Restaurant, Germany Pavilion, Epcot

Sauerbraten Marinade
1 pound onions, peeled, diced
½ pound carrots
½ pounds celery, diced
1 ounce minced garlic
1 quart red wine vinegar
1 quart red wine, 3 liter bottles
½ ounce fresh thyme
3 each whole cloves
1 each bay leaves
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
10 pounds beef eye round

1. Combine all of the ingredients except the beef.
2. Mix thoroughly.
3. Add the beef eye round, and let marinade for at least 4-5 days.

Sauerbraten Sauce

6 ounces ginger snap cookies
¼ cup tomato paste
8 ounces burgundy wine
64 ounces sauerbraten drippings
64 ounces demi-glaze
16 ounces sauerbraten marinade
8 ounces roux

1. Heat sauerbraten drippings, sauerbraten marinade, and demi-glaze to a simmer.
2. Add the tomato paste.
3. Let simmer for about 30 minutes.
4. Mix together the ginger snap cookies and burgundy wine in a separate container.
5. Add this to the demi-glace mixture.
6. Let simmer for another 30 minutes.
7. If the sauce is too thin add enough roux to thicken.
8. Strain sauce.

Sauerbraten Cooking

Method
1. Braise the marinated eye rounds of beef.
2. Sauté until all sides have been browned.
3. Place in a roasting pan. Place half sauerbraten marinade and half demi-glace in the pan to cover 3/4 of the browned eye rounds of beef.
4. Cover with foil.
5. Place in a 375 degree oven.
6. The sauerbraten can be removed from the oven when the meat is tender by the feel of a meat fork. Approximately 3-4 hours.

NOTE: Reserve the liquid that the eye rounds were cooked. This will be used for the sauerbraten sauce. Also the sauerbraten is best when the marinated eye rounds are cooked the day before. Slice the cooked sauerbraten, and place in a pan. Ladle the sauerbraten sauce over the cooked sauerbraten and reheat in a 350 degree oven for approximately 30-45 minutes.

Thanks so much Tatania - this is a real help!

May 09 - SSR & DCL; 07 - SSR, 06, 97, 94, 93 - CB; 01, 00, 88, 83 - Offsite

DVC Member Since March '06
PennieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:16 PM   #2372
disney54us
SHE'S GONE, OH MY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatania View Post
Thanks SO much for this. How often does the magazine come out and are there new recipes in every issue?
I new you would enjoy making this one Please take pic's and post. I don't think I will venture doing this one.
The mag comes out four times a year and yes there is always a recipe in it. They have made many changes to it the past year, which I don't care for. The one thing that I look forward to is the Domestic Disney page to see what recipe and from where. If they every stop that I will scream.

I've been unbirthday'd

tiggerfan1

THERE IS A DREAM IN PA MISSING
THERE SHE GOES! WAITING
SPARTANS NEVER DIE

1929-2008
disney54us is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-13-2008, 06:12 PM   #2373
Tatania
Disney Foodie

I'm not a DVC member because it makes more sense for me to rent as I go but would LOVE if you can post the recipes as they appear in the magazines. Had lunch today at Wilkes Boarding House in Savannah and I think it'll be a couple days till I can think about food again - the table was groaning with dishes and I ate like a pig. :

First visit to WDW in 1976. Many times since then.

Tatania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:22 AM   #2374
LUVMYTINK
Very Proud Marine & Wife
Roots for the other football team
I'm the sweet and innocent one of the group

Quote:
Originally Posted by hepkat17 View Post
Thanks for the welcome, that index is great. I'm gonna try that bacon recipe, I coulda sworn it had chicken but that could be it.
Here's the recipe with the chicken:

Wild Mushroom Chicken Pasta with Basil Asiago Cream Sauce
Serves 4 to 6 people

1/2 pound Mini Penne Pasta (dry/uncooked)

1. Follow direction on the package to cook the pasta to al dente.
2. Cool pasta with cold tap water and set aside at room temperature.

ASIAGO BASIL SAUCE:
11/2 cups heavy cream
1 tablespoon fresh basil (wash, stemmed, and chopped)
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/2 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
1/2 teaspoon chicken base or powdered chicken bullion
1 teaspoon fresh minced garlic
1/4 cup shredded Asiago cheese

1. Bring heavy cream, all seasonings, garlic, basil, and chicken base to a low simmer in a 2-quart saucepan. Let it simmer to 10 minutes to develop flavors.
2. Carefully add the shredded cheese. Stir constantly to avoid breaking the sauce. You must not boil the sauce at any time.
3. Add the butter to thicken the sauce slightly. Cover the sauce & set it aside from the heat until you are ready to add it to the pasta.

Pasta Completion:

6 each skinless boneless chicken thighs
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/4 cup sliced button mushrooms
1/4 cup sliced ****ake mushrooms (be sure to discard the stem)
1/4 cup diced Portobello mushrooms
1 cup Basil Asiago Cream Sauce (full amount from recipe above)
1-1/2 pounds cooked Gimelli pasta (full amount from recipe above)
2 tablespoons chiffonade (thinly sliced) fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup shredded Asiago cheese

1. Dice chicken and remove excess fat.
2. In a large saute pan, heat oil until it begins to smoke.
3. Add chicken and season with salt, white pepper, and granulated garlic.
4. Once chicken is fully cooked, add mushroom and cook them thoroughly.
5. Add the pasta to the saute pan and stir for three minutes.
6. Now add the sauce and bring to a simmer for 10 minutes.
7. Remove the pasta from the heat and place it on to serving dishes and garnish with basil and Asiago cheese.

LUVMYTINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:13 AM   #2375
piratesmate
Drah-gun! I don't do that tongue thing!
I actually used to be smart...before I had kids & brain damage

Thanks LUVMYTINK! I see this is basically the same as the bacon recipe - just with chicken instead. I didn't realize they served it 2 different ways. Frankly, I think it would be excellent with both the bacon & chicken.

I'm going to share a couple I have from the Animal Kingdom park & Caribbean Beach Resort.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Cheesy Potatoes
Donald's Breakfastosaurus

3 lb shredded potatoes (Hash Browns)
¼ lb sliced onions
½ c Nacho cheese sauce
pinch salt
pinch pepper
¼ lb diced ham
pinch garlic powder
pinch onion powder
2 Tbl Butter
3 oz shredded cheese (your favorite)

Sauté onions and ham in butter. Add dry ingredients, then mix in potatoes, and
let cook until a nice golden brown. In a separate container heat the Nacho
cheese sauce (microwave). After potatoes are ready, mix together and place in an
oven safe container. Top with the shredded cheese. Bake in oven for 15 minutes
at 325o.

Chipotle Flatbread
Disney's Animal Kingdom

4 c flour
½ tsp salt
1¼ c coconut milk
1 c goat cheese
1 c chopped chipotle peppers
Vegetable oil, for shallow frying

Place the flour and salt in a large bowl and gradually stir in the coconut milk to make a soft dough. Gather together with your hand. Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and knead with your hands to form a firm but pliable dough, adding more flour if the dough is on the sticky side. Break the dough into nine equal-size balls, and roll our each ball on a lightly floured surface to an 8½ inch round. Brush the rounds with oil, roll up and twist into a ring, tucking the ends into the middle. Place a floured board and set aside for 15 minutes. Roll out each of the dough rings to a 2 inch round. Spread lightly with goat cheese. Sprinkle generously with chipotle peppers. Fold over and roll out again. Brush a heavy frying pan with oil and cook the chappatis for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown. Serve hot as an accompaniment.

Caribbean Sand Bars
Caribbean Beach Resort

1¼ sticks butter
1¼ c light brown sugar
1 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 c chopped walnuts
4 c chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 9x9 inch pan.
Sift flour, salt, and baking powder and set aside. Cream butter and brown sugar until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until smooth and creamy. Add vanilla and stir well. Add flour mixture and blend well. Fold in nuts and spread batter evenly in greased pan. Bake 25-30 minutes. Remove and cool completely before cutting.

[NOTE: For maple bars, add 2 tablespoons maple syrup. For chocolate chip
bars, reduce pecans by 1 cup and add 1 cup chocolate chips.]

Jamaican buns
Cinnamon Bay Bakery, Caribbean Beach Resort
Yield: 24 servings

3½ c flour
½ c sugar
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
2 Tbl lemon rind OR
1 Tbl lemon extract
1 c butter or shortening
3 eggs
¾ c milk
1 c raisins
1¼ c shredded coconut
2 egg whites; lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 350 F.

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt & lemon rind. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly in texture. Beat eggs with milk & add to flour mixture. Blend until just moistened. Do not over mix. Add raisins & coconut and mix again, just enough to incorporate. Using an ice-cream scoop or tablespoon, portion dough onto a greased cookie sheet. Brush the tops of each bun with beaten egg whites & sprinkle with sugar.

Bake for about 25 minutes. Buns should be golden brown and firm to touch.

<Source> Cooking with Mickey - Volume II
Old 08-14-2008, 09:56 AM   #2376
piratesmate

...And a few from Coronado Springs.

Cafe Con Leche Flan
Maya Grill, Coronado Springs
Serves 6

Caramel coating

1 c white sugar
¼ c water
1 Tbl corn syrup

Butter six 8” ramekins. Place all ingredients in a heavy saucepan and cook over high heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until caramel turns golden brown and runs clear (without traces of granulated sugar). Pour the caramel into prepared ramekins and set aside to cool.

Flan

2 c milk
2 c sweetened condensed milk
2 Tbl coffee extract
5 large eggs
3 large egg yolks

Heat both milks and the coffee extract in a heavy saucepan over medium heat until just before boiling; when bubbles begin to form around the edges of the pan, remove from heat. Whisk the eggs and egg yolks into the milk mixture. Pour the mixture into the prepared ramekins. Place ramekins in a casserole pan and fill pan with hot water to reach ½ to 2/3 of the way up the sides of the ramekins. Bake at 325 degrees for 30 to 45 minutes or until the skin on the top of the custard is set (no longer sticky). Remove from oven and let cool.

Garnish

1½ c sugar
¼ c water

Heat sugar and water in a heavy saucepan over medium heat until the mixture turns a golden color (to about 270 degrees; when mixture forms brittle threads when dropped into ice water, it is ready). Drizzle onto greased aluminum foil or greased parchment paper in swirls and other desired designs. Allow to cool (this takes only a few minutes). Remove swirls with a spatula and use to garnish cooled flan, as liberally as desired.

TROPICAL FRUIT CAESAR SALAD
Serves 6

Fruit Salad

1 mango
1 papaya
½ pineapple
1 star fruit
1 c strawberries
2 kiwifruit

Garnish

1 c coconut flakes
8 oz pound cake
1 lemon, zest only
1/3 c unsalted butter
1 Tbl mint leaves, finely chopped

Dressing

1¼ c chopped white chocolate
2 oranges, zest & juice
1¼ c heavy cream, room temperature
1/8 tsp vanilla
1 tsp poppy seeds

Preheat oven to 350o. Cut all the fruit into medium-size pieces and mix in a large bowl. Refrigerate until needed.

Place coconut flakes on an ungreased baking sheet and toast in the oven, stirring twice, until golden brown (4 – 8 min). Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. Leave oven at 350o.

To make croutons, cut the pound cake into ½” cubes. Place lemon zest & butter in a medium saucepan and cook over low heat until butter melts; remove from heat. Add cake cubes & stir until well-coated. Place croutons on an ungreased baking sheet & bake, stirring twice, until golden brown (12 to 15 minutes). Sprinkle with mint and set aside.

Melt the white chocolate in a double boiler or microwave. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until thoroughly mixed. Let cool to room temperature. When cooled, add the dressing to the salad ½ cup at a time and toss, until you have the desired amount. Portion fruit salad onto 6 plates. Garnish each plate with 4 or 5 croutons, then sprinkle with toasted coconut flakes and serve.

White Chocolate Bread Pudding with Raspberry Truffles

Pudding

5 c chopped day-old (but not stale) croissants or white bread
1 c coarsely chopped white chocolate
½ c golden raisins
1½ c milk
½ c white sugar
5 eggs
½ vanilla bean, seeds only (slice bean lengthwise & scrape)
½ c sweetened condensed milk

Combine all ingredients and let soak at room temperature for 1 hour. Preheat the oven to 350o. Grease 9 holes of a muffin pan and fill with the bread pudding mixture. Set a pan of water on the lowest oven shelf and bake pudding on middle oven shelf for 20 minutes or just until the centers bounce back when touched. Use a spatula to unmold. Cover to keep warm.

Vanilla Sauce

1 c milk
1 c heavy cream
1 vanilla bean, seeds only (slice bean lengthwise & scrape)
1¼ c sugar, divided
6 large egg yolks

Place the milk, heavy cream, vanilla bean seeds, and ¾ cup of the sugar into a heavy saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Heat to just before the boiling point (when bubbles for around the edges of the pan). Remove from heat and set aside. Place egg yolks and remaining ½ cup of sugar into a small bowl, mix until well-blended, and add to milk mixture. Return to medium heat for about 1½ minutes; do not let boil. Set aside.

Truffles

1 pt raspberry sorbet
¾ c coconut flakes
¾ c almond slices
2½ c chopped white chocolate

Using the large end of a melon baller, scoop raspberry sorbet into 18 1-inch balls and freeze overnight. Spread coconut and almonds onto separate ungreased baking sheets and toast at 350o, stirring at least twice, until golden brown (3 to 5 minutes for the almonds; 4 to 8 minutes for the coconut). Mix the toasted coconut and almonds together and set aside. Melt the white chocolate in the microwave or a double boiler and stir until smooth.
Dip frozen sorbet balls into melted chocolate and roll in the coconut-almond mix. (You can use a skewer or a small fork for this step.) Return to freezer immediately.

Garnish

27 fresh raspberries
9 fresh mint leaves
9 praline or other light cookies

Pour ¼ cup vanilla sauce into the center of each of 9 plates; top with a bread pudding; add two truffles, three raspberries, a mint leaf, and a cookie. Serve.

Index updated through this post.

Last edited by piratesmate; 08-14-2008 at 10:04 AM.
piratesmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:41 PM   #2377
hepkat17
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUVMYTINK View Post
Here's the recipe with the chicken:

Wild Mushroom Chicken Pasta with Basil Asiago Cream Sauce
Serves 4 to 6 people

Thanks for the recipe Luvmytink......2 days ago I couldn't wait so I improvised and made it exactly as the bacon one, but with Chicken instead and it came out great. I made it a little different, I used 3 chicken breasts, I boiled them until they were almosted cooked. Then I cut them into thin strips (same as usually chicken ceasar salads), then cooked in a pan just as the recipe said. It came out just as I remembered. As much as the bacon would be good, I live alone and all those calories plus a 1lb of bacon as my meal for 3 days just wouldn't work, so the chicken is a good healthier version. If I had guests, etc, and wouldn't have to eat it for a few days straight, then I'm gonna try the bacon version.
hepkat17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:41 PM   #2378
shaggysbride
Earning My Ears

I'm looking for the polynesian luau rib recipe...well actually the barbaque sauce recipe. It's in the book "Cooking With Mickey All Around Our World" I have the book but can not find it at the moment....in the middle of totally remodeling the house. Can anyone help me please?!?!? I'm desparite and need to make the ribs for an event. Everything I've seen for the rib recipe isn't the right one.....HELP!!!!
shaggysbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:07 PM   #2379
piratesmate

ETA: I missed that this was your first post. to the DIS! I hope you'll come back & post often. This is a great group!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggysbride View Post
I'm looking for the polynesian luau rib recipe...well actually the barbaque sauce recipe. It's in the book "Cooking With Mickey All Around Our World" I have the book but can not find it at the moment....in the middle of totally remodeling the house. Can anyone help me please?!?!? I'm desparite and need to make the ribs for an event. Everything I've seen for the rib recipe isn't the right one.....HELP!!!!
By any chance is it the one on page 99? http://www.disboards.com/showthread....575103&page=99
It's shown as Island BBQ Pork Ribs as served at the Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show.

If not, I know someone here has that cookbook. Hopefully they'll post it for you.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:03 PM   #2380
shaggysbride
Earning My Ears

Yeah I saw that one....I don't remember making it that way though. Maybe it has changed...I'm actually making it tonight to see..haha. I hope to come across that book though it has some really great stuff in it!!
shaggysbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:39 AM   #2381
piratesmate

I'm copying this request here so they're all together. It's from a really old thread, but it was just bumped yesterday again.

Quote:
The best tomato soup I have ever had in my life was at the Earl of Sandwich in Downtown Disney. I am not a tomato soup person and for the last 18 months I have been fondly recalling this fab soup. Basically, it was offered at checkout for $1 or something and I thought my husband would like it. I practically ate all of it and he was ticked (not really.)

Does anyone out there have the recipe??? Please provide and I will be deeply indebted.
And another one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jama View Post
Does anyone have the recipe for pumpkin soup from Tony's? Or maybe another one that is good? My 13yo DS loved this last Oct... he was born on Halloween..maybe that's why he loves anything with pumpkin in it...
Thanks!!
Oops I see this was already posted back on page 14, but as we're coming up to the fall I'll leave this here are a reminder.

Last edited by piratesmate; 08-21-2008 at 09:10 AM.
piratesmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:24 PM   #2382
Disney8704
I so need to do that!
I have 2 cats who LOVE to climb on top of EVERYTHING

I am looking for the recipe for Chocolate ginger cake from Teppan Edo.
Disney8704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:39 AM   #2383
insoin

DIS Veteran

Ohana Breakfast Jucie

Maybe I missed it or just dont know what its called. But does anyone know the juice they server for Breakfast at Ohana's? Is it a mix of different ones, anyone have a clue about this one?
Old 08-24-2008, 09:32 PM   #2384
greeneeyes
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesmate View Post

Oops I see this was already posted back on page 14, but as we're coming up to the fall I'll leave this here are a reminder.
Tony's has Butternut Squash Soup, not pumpkin. The two squash are similar and could be mistaken for each other (they can be substituted for each other in the recipe too).

Butternut Squash Soup

YIELD: 1 gallon

Ingredients:

2 pounds butternut squash (peel and dice in 1/2-inch cubes

1 cup diced onion

1 quart heavy cream

1 quart water

1/4 cup butter

1/4 cup vegetable consomme (a dry soup based)

1/2 TB salt

1 tsp. white pepper

1/2 cup white wine

1/2 brown sugar

Method:

1. Season diced squash with salt, pepper and brown sugar and roast at 350 until golden brown approximately 30 minutes.

2. Saute onions in 1/4 cup of butter until lightly caramelized, deglaze with white wine, add mix vegetable consomme with water. Add squash and bring to a boil until squash is tender.

3. Puree soup with an immersion (hand-held) blender, then add heavy cream. Bring to a boil and remove from heat.

4. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
greeneeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:15 AM   #2385
Disney8704
I so need to do that!
I have 2 cats who LOVE to climb on top of EVERYTHING

Its called Jungle Juice. Its also served at Boma and Donalds as well. They call it their house juice but if you look under Jungle Juice its the same thing. I had it at all 3 places the past 2 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insoin View Post
Maybe I missed it or just dont know what its called. But does anyone know the juice they server for Breakfast at Ohana's? Is it a mix of different ones, anyone have a clue about this one?
Disney8704 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: