Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 614 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:47 AM   #2191
piratesmate
Drah-gun! I don't do that tongue thing!
I actually used to be smart...before I had kids & brain damage

Sorry I've been MIA. It's been a busy week!

Reviews of things I've made this week:
Boma's Flank Steak Marinade (version 2 on page 8) Excellent as always! I've tried using ground ginger when I ran out of fresh & ended up with a more paste-like consistency. It's still good, but you really can't beat the flavor of fresh ginger root! If you end up with more than you'll use, I recently tried freezing it per Rachel Ray. No more waste and the flavor & consistency was fine. Just peel it first, then cut into 1 inch pieces & pop into a plastic bag.
Boma's Cured Pork Loin (page 130) I skipped the Coconut Curry Sauce this time. It's still good without it - not too dry and I think the flavors of the spices stands out more. The smell of the cinnamon almost drove DD crazy waiting for it to be done!
Polynesian's Citrus Rice (recipe below) DD wasn't thrilled with this. She didn't care for the citrus peel, although I have to admit I used dried zest I get from the spice store. Because it was dried, I added it to the water when I boiled the rice. DH & I really, really liked it - even with the dried zest. I'm going to try it again and do it properly. (I'll just keep a serving aside for DD without the zest.) DH gets tired of rice pilaf all the time. Oh - and I didn't do the last step of baking it in a buttered casserole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
I'm also trying to locate the recipe for the sweet bread that Kona serves at dinner with the macadamia butter. I see a recipe for the dinner bread at Ohana, but I don't think it's the same thing....??
I've updated the lists through this post. Thanks everyone for adding recipes, reviews & assistance! And it's nice to see some new posters too!

Here are a few recipes from the Polynesian that I've collected over the years.
= = = = = = = = = = =
Asian Deli Sandwich
from Kona Café, Polynesian
Yield: 1 ea

1 Tbl Mayonnaise
¼ c Cucumber, thinly sliced
1/8 c Red Onions, thinly sliced
¼ c Carrots, shredded
½ tsp Rice wine vinegar
1 oz Hard Salami, sliced thin
2 oz Ham, sliced thin
2 oz Turkey, sliced thin
½ tsp Cilantro
1 oz Sugar
1 ea Sub Roll*

1. Combine sugar, mayonnaise and rice wine vinegar.
2. Spread mixture on the roll and sprinkle with cilantro.
3. Layer on the cucumbers, onion, and carrots.
4. Layer on the deli meats and enjoy.
*For the roll we suggest using King Hawaiian Bread, which is available in most grocery stores nationwide. You may also use Cuban Sweet bread with this.

= = = = = = = = = = =
ASIAN NOODLE BOWL
It's a 2 part recipe. One is the actual Asian Noodle Bowl and the other is the beef broth recipe if you feel like making beef broth from scratch.

ASIAN NOODLE BOWL
Yield: 1 Portion

18 oz Beef broth
3 oz Rice Noodles after soaking
1 oz Sugar snap peas
1 oz Carrots
1 oz Bean Sprouts, fresh
0.5 oz Onions, sliced
2 ea Lime wedges
4 oz Beef strip loin
½ oz Fresh mint
½ oz Fresh cilantro
½ oz Fresh basil
½ oz Garlic chili paste (sambal oelek will do too)

If Shrimp (remove beef and add 31-35 Shrimp (3.5 oz)

If Chicken (remove beef and add 4 oz Chicken Breast sliced into thin strips

1. For chicken and shrimp: add to wok with carrots and snap peas, add small amount of broth, poach until almost cooked through, then add bean sprouts, bring back to boil.
2. For beef: add carrots and snap peas to broth, heat until almost cooked through, then add bean sprouts and bring back to boil.
3. Heat noodles in warm water bath, place in bottom of bowl.
4. For beef: add sliced raw beef to noodles, then add broth with vegetables
5. For chicken and shrimp: add broth with vegetables and chicken/shrimp to noodles.
6. Garnish with sliced raw onions mixed with chopped cilantro, place limes on rim of bowl, and garnish with mint and basil.

Bui Broth (Obviously commercial kitchen amounts )
Yield: 16 gallons

8 oz Star Anise
4 lb Spanish onion, chopped
40 lb Beef scraps
3 oz Black peppercorns
3 oz Coriander seeds
3 oz Whole garlic cloves
3 lb Kosher salt
3 lb Granulated sugar
3 oz Cinnamon sticks
1.2 Tbl Fish sauce
25 gal Water

1. Wash anise and cinnamon.
2. Add to kettle with beef scraps, water, onions, garlic, peppercorns and coriander. Bring to a slow simmer, do not boil.
3. Simmer for 2 hours, do not boil.
4. Skim to keep broth clear, add fish sauce, sugar, and mix well.
5. Strain, bag and chill

[I copied this note from someone who had made this: "I've made this soup with regular beef broth out of a can added with the fish sauce, sugar, and star anise and it came out pretty close."]

= = = = = = = = = = =
Blackened Mahi Sandwich
Yield: 1 serving

1 Mahi filet (6 oz)
1 Hamburger bun
1½ oz Cool down sauce (recipe below)
1 oz Green leaf lettuce
½ oz Blackening spice
6 oz French fries
1 Slice Tomato

1. Rub filet with oil and then coat well with blackening seasoning.
2. Sear on very hot iron skillet.
3. Put cool down sauce on bottom of bun.
4. Put fish on bun and garnish with lettuce and tomato.

Cool Down Sauce
Yield: serves 10

¾ c Mayonnaise
1/3 oz Capers
1/8 oz Cilantro
3/8 oz Anchovy filets
1/8 oz Frozen lemon juice
1/8 oz Dry mustard
To taste Salt and pepper

Puree everything in blender or robot coupe until mixed well.
Add mayo and continue until mixed well.

= = = = = = = = = = =
Buttermilk Coconut dressing
from Coral Isle Café, Polynesian

1 c oil,
½ tsp salt
¾ c sugar
2 c sour cream
1 c red wine vinegar
2 c mayonnaise
6 c buttermilk
6 oz coconut cream
1 tsp black pepper

In a blender or food processor, with a steel blade, combine all ingredients and blend well. Refrigerate.

= = = = = = = = = = =
Chicken A La Reine Soup
Coral Isle Café, Polynesian

¼ c margarine
1 c finely diced onion
1 c finely diced celery
1 c finely diced carrots
1/3 c all-purpose flour
2 qt chicken broth (8 cups)
1/3 c finely diced green pepper
1/3 c finely diced red pepper or pimiento
1 c cooked rice
1 c finely diced cooked chicken breast
1 c half and half, heated
to taste Salt and white pepper

Heat margarine in a large saucepot and cook onion, celery and carrots over low heat until tender, stirring occasionally. Add flour and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Do not brown. Gradually stir in chicken broth until blended. Bring to a boil, cover, and cook over low heat 5 minutes.
Add green and red pepper or pimiento, rice and chicken and heat another 5 minutes. Stir in hot half and half. Heat but do not boil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If all soup is not used when prepared, it may be frozen.

= = = = = = = = = = =
Citrus Rice
Polynesian

1 1/3 c water
½ tsp Salt
7 Tbl butter, divided
1 1/3 c pre-cooked rice
2/3 c chopped celery
1/3 c chopped Spanish onion
3 Tbl chopped orange peel
1½ Tbl chopped lemon peel
1/3 c orange juice
3 Tbl chicken broth
to taste Salt and white pepper

Bring water, salt and 2 tsp. butter to a boil. Stir in rice. Cover and remove from heat. At the end of 5 min., fluff with a fork. Set aside.

Heat remaining butter in a 9" skillet. Add celery, onion, orange and lemon peels and mix in rice. Sauté for 7 minutes. Add orange juice and chicken broth and season to taste. Spoon into a 1-quart buttered casserole and bake at 350 deg. F for 15 min.

Last edited by piratesmate; 05-20-2008 at 11:07 AM.
piratesmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:28 AM   #2192
RMAMom
DIS Veteran

I have spent the last two days going through this thread and printing recipes to try. I am only on page 60 but I plan to keep going until I have read every post.

I checked the index and I don't see the dish I am looking for. We had dinner at Chef Mickey's in Oct and my DD really enjoyed a dish there. I don't know the name of it but it was like a chicken potpie. It had chicken potatoes and other veggies. I'm sorry that isn't much help. If anyone has any idea I would appreciate the help.

RMAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-20-2008, 01:03 PM   #2193
piratesmate

Thanks for joining us here! We always enjoy hearing from new people.

I've added your request to our list also found in the index thread at: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1777635 (See post #5)

I did a quick check & think what you're looking for is called "Roasted Turkey Pot Pie". The menu listing for Chef Mickey's here on The DIS shows it under the "Chef's Buffet Specials" section. Have you tried requesting the recipe? There are addresses listed in post 4 of the index thread.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:42 PM   #2194
piratesmate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawx04 View Post
Does anyone have the recipe for onion soup served at WL's Artist Point? They haven't served it in probably 6 or 7 years and I miss it.

TIA
The "What Disney Recipes Have You Tried?" thread has been moved to the Cooking forum. I saw this request over there & was hoping that someone might have this recipe in one of the older Disney Cookbooks. Anyone?
Old 05-20-2008, 02:10 PM   #2195
Tatania
Disney Foodie

White Onion Soup

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesmate View Post
The "What Disney Recipes Have You Tried?" thread has been moved to the Cooking forum. I saw this request over there & was hoping that someone might have this recipe in one of the older Disney Cookbooks. Anyone?
White Onion Soup
Artist Point (Chef Robert Adams) from Cooking with Mickey 1998
Serves 4; makes about 3 1/4 cups

1/4 cup ( 1/2 stick) butter
3 medium-sized white onions, cut into 1/4" dice
2 cups low sodium chicken broth or stock, preferably homemade
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
A pinch freshly ground white pepper
1/2 cup sour cream
Snipped fresh chives or chopped fresh parsley for garnish

1. In a 4 to 5 quart Dutch oven, melt the butter over low heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, for 45 minutes; do not let the onions brown.
2. In a food processor, purée the onions until smooth.
3. Return the onions to the Dutch oven and whisk in the chicken broth, salt, and pepper.
4. Remove 2 cups of the onion mixture to a bowl and whisk in the sour cream.
5. Whisking constantly, return the sour cream mixture to the soup and heat through; do not let the soup boil.
6. Serve the soup hot, garnished with snipped fresh chives.

Cooks Note: if you prefer, toast a slice of French or Italian bread, melt some Pecorino Romano cheese on top, and sprinkle with chives and place it in the soup as a garnish.

First visit to WDW in 1976. Many times since then.

Tatania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:48 PM   #2196
sasmmb
Mouseketeer

Hi, Tatiana requested that I post my modified recipe for Boma's Cocomisu. The original has so many ingredients that are difficult to find, so with much trial and trial (all yummy though!), here is what worked for me. Bon Apetit!

Ingredients:
Ingredients for PART 1:
1 cup Sugar
2 cups Water
1 cup shredded coconut
1/4 can Coco Lopez (found in the Mexican aisle of the supermarket, or liquor stores. If you can't find it try 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk with 2 tablespoons coconut extract. Doesn't work quite as well though)
1/2 cup milk (skim is fine)
1 cup Kahlua Liquor

30 pieces Ladyfingers (do NOT use any from Trader Joes, not soft enough)

Ingredients for PART 2:
2 envelopes powdered Gelatin
2 TBLS cold water
1 cup shredded coconut
1/4 can Coco Lopez (found in the Mexican aisle of the supermarket, or liquor stores. If you can't find it try 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk with 2 tablespoons coconut extract. Doesn't work quite as well though)
1/2 cup milk (skim is fine)

Ingredients for PART 3:
3 pounds Mascarpone Cheese
1 pound Powder Sugar
8 each Egg Yolks
½ can Coco Lopez
1 quart Heavy Cream
1 cup Toasted Coconut

Method:
Part 1
1. Make syrup by boiling water and sugar in a saucepot. Once it boils, remove from flame and transfer into another container. Mix shredded coconut, 1/4 can coco lopez, and 1/2 cup skim milk together. Mix this with the sugar water and Kahlua.

2. Soak each ladyfinger while syrup is still warm and set aside on a sheet pan.

Part 2
3. Sprinkle gelatin over cold water until soft.
4. Make another batch of shredded coconut, 1/4 can coco lopez, and 1/2 cup skim milk together. Place gelatin and this mixture in a small bowl. Place over a hot bath to dissolve the gelatin. Set aside.

Part 3
5. Boil water. Once the water boils carefully add eggs and cook for 5 minutes. Remove eggs and immediately crack open and remove egg yolks into a small bowl. Discard whites. This helps kill bacteria while not cooking the yolks.

6. In the mixer, whip mascarpone cheese with powder sugar. Add yolks, Coco Lopez and heavy cream. Whip until thick.

7. Temper some of this mixture in step 4 and put it back with the rest of the mixture from step 4.

8. Continue to whip until mixture has doubled. Be careful not to over whip and curdle the cheese.

9. Place soaked ladyfingers on the bottom of desired deep dish, about 4 inches deep. Ladle about an inch and a half of the filling.

10. Place another layer of ladyfingers, then ladle another layer of filling.

11. Smooth the top with a spatula, and then sprinkle the top with toasted coconut.
Note: I usually end up with lots of extra filling from Step 7. This freezes well. You can probably cut down and adjust the ingredients needed in step 7.
Enjoy and let me know how it turns out!
1974 - 1st trip - off site; Summer 76 - off site; Winter 76 - Golf Resort (now Shades of Green); 86, 88, 92 - off site; years blur together but AS Music, AS Sports, WL, DL, CBR, BW Villas, 1 night GF Concierge, Poly, YC, Swan, AS Sports, CBR (Dec 31, 1999), WL, AKL, CS, Poly, April 07 Swan, POFQ and Pop Century; Sept 07 FW Cabins; Oct 07 Dolphin ; Oct 08 off-site; Oct 09 BWV; Oct 10 SSR; Feb 11 GF; Nov 11 AKL/BWV; Jun 12 off-site; Nov 12 Pop Century; Nov 13 BWV; Feb 14 CBR and CS; May 14 OKW; Oct 14 Dolphin and BWV

DCL - Inaugural Alaska May 2011 (Wonder); West. Carrib. May 2012 (Fantasy); Eastbound Transatlantic May 2014 (Magic)

Married at the Disney Wedding Pavilion 1998

Last edited by sasmmb; 05-20-2008 at 03:55 PM.
sasmmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 06:45 PM   #2197
colleen costello
Is in a "just back from OKW and why can't I live there all the time?" depression

Boma Chicken Corn Chowder/Porridge

Yield: 8 Servings

2 chicken breasts, cooked and diced
1 pound russet potatoes, cooked and diced
2 cups frozen corn kernels
1/8 cup diced onion
1/8 cup diced red pepper
1 cup heavy cream (I usually buy the one that says "whipping")
1 cup milk
2 tsp sugar
2 t hot saYiuce (I don't like this and skip it)
1/8 cup fresh parsley
1 chicken bouillon cube dissolved in 1 cup water

Bring chicken stock to a boil.
Add milk, cream, chicken, potatoes, peppers, onion, corn and sugar.
Add parsley and hot sauce and simmer for 5 minutes
Serve hot.

*I always double this as it is SO good. It's a hit at pitch-ins! Red pepper is expensive so I cut one up into chunks and freeze the chunks in baggies so I have it on hand when I make the recipe next time.

colleen costello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:20 PM   #2198
Sammy
Suffered from acute Tag Envy
We just giggled to ourselves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatania View Post
I'm just as excited to find another Disney recipe fan. I loved that sweet bread with the Macadamia butter as well and got in touch with one of the managers at the Polynesian in the hopes of getting the bread recipe. He wrote me that he had forwarded my request to the kitchen and that they'd get back to me. This was months ago and they never did. Do you think you could send in a request and see if you have better luck?
I'll see what I can do!

Sammy

1975, 1979, 1990: Offsite
Sept. 2000: Dixie Landings...First-ever family trip with DH and kids!
Awesome trips since then: Dolphin, OKW x5, BCV, POP, ASMu, CBR, Poly for 20th Anniversary, Bonnet Creek, SSR @ Christmas, AKL for DD's Sweet 16!

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:21 PM   #2199
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasmmb View Post
Hi, Tatiana requested that I post my modified recipe for Boma's Cocomisu. The original has so many ingredients that are difficult to find, so with much trial and trial (all yummy though!), here is what worked for me. Bon Apetit!
I'm crazy about all things coconut and have really wanted to try this but the coconut puree had me stalled. Thanks SO much for this and the Boma recipe. Can't wait to try it.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:58 AM   #2200
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Tusker House

Magical Kingdoms web site had some recipes from Tusker House that I hadn't seen before.

Banana-Cinnamon Bread Pudding with Vanilla Sauce
Tusker House, Animal Kingdom

14 ounces Cinnamon Bread
12 ounces Milk
8 ounces Liquid Eggs
4 ounces Brown Sugar
4 ounces White Sugar
10 each Ripe Bananas
1 tablespoon Cinnamon
1 tablespoon Vanilla
¼ teaspoon Nutmeg
4 ounces Raisins
4 ounces Pecans
2 ounces Butter Blend
3 ounces Sanding Sugar

Dice cinnamon bread into 1 inch squares and place into a 12 inch round pan.
In a large bowl, mix the other ingredients except for the bananas, sanding sugar and butter. Mash up 6 bananas and add them to the egg mixture. Slice up the remaining bananas and add them to the panned cinnamon bread. Pour the egg mixture over the bread/sliced bananas and let stand for about 20 to 30 minutes. Bake at 325 degrees for about 25 minutes. Brush the top with the butter blend and dust with the sanding sugar.
Serve warm with vanilla sauce. (recipe follows)

Vanilla Sauce
4 ½ teaspoon Butter Blend
4 ½ teaspoon Flour
¾ cup Sugar
1/8 teaspoon Salt
1 ¼ cup Milk
1 cup Whipping Cream
1 each Egg, Beaten
½ tablespoon Vanilla Paste
On medium heat melt butter in a small sauce pan, add flour and cook for about 5 minutes stirring continuously. In a small mixing bowl mix together the remaining ingredients. Add this to the flour and butter stirring with a whisk until the mixture thickens (about 5 to 8 minutes.) Serve warm or chilled.

Curried Rice Salad

1 pound Basmati Rice
24 ounces Water
¼ ounce Kosher Salt
2 each Cinnamon Sticks
½ ounce Curry Powder
1 ounce Olive Oil
½ each Lemon
4 seeds Cardamom
8 ounces Onions diced ¾ inch and Roasted
2 grams Ground Black Pepper
4 ounce Golden Raisins
4 ounce Curry Chermoula Vinaigrette (below)
Rinse rice under cold water until water runs clear, approximately 20 minutes. Put drained rice in rice cooker, cover with water, and add salt, cinnamon, lemon, curry powder and oil; turn on. Stir every 10 minutes until done. Remove from heat and chill. Add onions, raisins, vinaigrette and salt & pepper if needed.

Chermoula Vinaigrette
8 ounces Safflower Oil
4 ounces Lemon Juice
4 ounces Chermoula (ingredients below)
¼ ounce Curry Powder
¼ ounce Minced Garlic
½ ounce Red Curry Paste

Chermoula
1 cup Fresh Cilantro
4 clove Garlic -- peeled
2 tablespoons Vinegar
1 x Juice of 1 Lemon or Lime
1 tablespoon Paprika
1 tablespoon Ground Cumin
1/2 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
2 tablespoon Olive Oil (more if needed)
Salt (to taste)
Cayenne Pepper (to taste)

In food processor or blender, combine cilantro, garlic, vinegar, lemon juice, paprika, cumin, crushed red pepper, olive oil, salt, and cayenne to a fine paste. Adjust the consistency by adding more olive oil. The marinade should be fairly thick.

Yam Casserole

4 pounds Canned yams or Sweet Potatoes
7 ounces Coco Fiesta (Coconut Milk)
6 ounces Brown Sugar
1/2 ounce Vanilla
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Nutmeg
2 ounce Toasted Coconut
4 tablespoons Corn Starch
2 cups Orange Juice

Drain the juice from the sweet potatoes. Place potatoes into a pan or casserole dish. In a bowl mix the sugar, butter, and coco fiesta. Add the orange juice, corn starch, nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla. Pour the mixture over the potatoes Cook at 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes Top with the toasted coconut.

Last edited by Tatania; 05-21-2008 at 02:06 AM.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:17 AM   #2201
greeneeyes
Mouseketeer

Wonder if those are recipes from the New Tusker House menu? I've heard that they are trying to be more in line with what is served at the AKL.
Thanks for adding them.
greeneeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:18 AM   #2202
RMAMom
DIS Veteran

Thank you Piratesmate, I appreciate the help. I'll email them and when I get a response I'll post it.

RMAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:44 AM   #2203
rusafee1183
DVC Owner Since 2012!

hey guys! i just got back from a fantastic disneymoon and we had the BEST food the whole time!!! we are going to try to have the magic live on year round with "disney night" once a month where we cook a dis fav and watch a disney movie!!! i hope it lasts!!

i was wondering if anyone has the receipe for california grill - the beef tenderloin with the bbq sauce... i think that it was served with monteray jack polenta (which I THINK i saw on here) , but any help would be appreciated!!!
Old 05-21-2008, 02:57 PM   #2204
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusafee1183 View Post
hey guys! i just got back from a fantastic disneymoon and we had the BEST food the whole time!!! we are going to try to have the magic live on year round with "disney night" once a month where we cook a dis fav and watch a disney movie!!! i hope it lasts!!

i was wondering if anyone has the receipe for california grill - the beef tenderloin with the bbq sauce... i think that it was served with monteray jack polenta (which I THINK i saw on here) , but any help would be appreciated!!!
Congratulations on your "Disneymoon". I love your idea of having the magic live on by making a Disney meal once a month. Many of the recipes are so simple and good that I actually use them all the time. The ones that piratesmate just reviewed are good examples of that. I keep the Boma Pork Rub handy in the fridge and just add to it when it gets low. I haven't found a better Pork Rub anywhere.

The California Grill menu posted at AllEars has "Oak-fired Filet of Beef with cheese orecchiette pasta gratin, sauteed asparagus, teriyaki BBQ sauce" and I was given the Teriyaki BBQ sauce recipe. It's posted on page 89.

The Grilled Pork Tenderloin comes with the polenta and they keep changing it slightly. The version from Cooking with Mickey and the Disney Chefs (2004) is on page 68 and uses the Garlic and Herb Polenta.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:30 PM   #2205
rusafee1183
DVC Owner Since 2012!

YUM!!! yep - that's the one! thank you!!! is the reciepe for the pasta gratin somewhere here as well? Sorry - i'm not being lazy - this is just my 1st time on this post - it's kinda overwhelming how many receipes there are!!!

thanks again

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: