Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2008, 10:09 AM   #2116
disney54us
SHE'S GONE, OH MY!

Mmmmm, Goofymamma, those recipes sound good. Anyone have a clue about the 3oz cream sauce for the spinach???? So looking forward to having dinner there on our next trip.

I've been unbirthday'd

tiggerfan1

THERE IS A DREAM IN PA MISSING
THERE SHE GOES! WAITING
SPARTANS NEVER DIE

1929-2008
disney54us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:51 PM   #2117
Carrie772
Resolve to Recycle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynninpa View Post
'Ohana: 'Ohana Bread Pudding with Bananas Foster Sauce a la mode

5 large eggs
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1 1⁄2 cups sugar
1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
3 cups whole milk
1 loaf challah bread or egg-style bread (large enough to fill 10 cups)
1⁄2 cup crushed, canned pineapple
1⁄4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1⁄4 cup raisins (optional)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1⁄2 gallon of vanilla bean ice cream
Sauce:

1 cup dark brown sugar 1⁄2 cup each: corn syrup and unsalted butter
1 cup each: heavy cream and spiced or dark rum
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 bananas

Heat oven to 350 F. In large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Cut bread in 1⁄2-inch cubes. Add bread, pineapple, coconut, and raisins (if desired) to egg-and-milk mixture. Grease large baking dish with butter. Add bread custard mix to the greased baking dish. Bake 1 hour and 10 minutes. Remove from oven. Let stand 5 minutes.

In a sauce pan, combine dark brown sugar, corn syrup, butter, and half of the heavy cream. Using high heat; bring to a rolling boil. Allow mixture to boil 10 minutes and add remaining heavy cream. Let it boil additional minute. Now add the rum and vanilla extract. Carefully flambé pan using a long stemmed lighter. Let boil until the flame goes out. Reduce to a simmer and stir with a high heat spatula.

Peel and slice bananas; add them to the caramel sauce. Remove the caramel from the heat and set aside.

Place scoop of ice cream on top of each portion of bread pudding. Top with bananas Foster sauce.

When the recipe says to "grease a large baking dish" how large is large? A 13X9" pyrex pan? Or a deep casserole dish?

Just hoping someone responds!
'76 CR; '83 offsite; '94 CBR; '02 Residence Inn; '04 CSR; '05 Poly; '05 ASSp/WL; '06 Poly; '07 POR; '07 WL; '08 CSR; '09 Poly; '10 WL; '11 Poly; '11 POR/Poly; '12 CR/Poly; '13 Poly; '14 Quickie at BC;

Last edited by Carrie772; 04-28-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Carrie772 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-28-2008, 02:36 PM   #2118
piratesmate
Drah-gun! I don't do that tongue thing!
I actually used to be smart...before I had kids & brain damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie772 View Post
When the recipe says to "grease a large baking dish" how large is large? A 13X9" pyrex pan? Or a deep casserole dish?

Just hoping someone responds!
My suggestion would be to put the bread into whatever you want to use before you start. Just to test it out. Make sure you have enough room for the pineapple, etc & some room to rise.

Most of Disney's other bread pudding recipes seem to call for similar amounts of eggs, milk & cream. You could check some of those to see what pan they tell you to use: The Chocolate Silk Bread Pudding posted on page 138 says to use a 10" cake pan. One of the Boma Banana Bread Pudding recipes on page 12 says to use a 9x9 square pan. The 1900 Park Fare recipe on page 55 says to use a loaf pan.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:57 PM   #2119
Carrie772
Resolve to Recycle!

Thanks Piratesmate!

I am going to try it soon. Our VBS this year is a Hawaiian theme and I wanted to make this recipe for our teacher's breakfast mtng.
'76 CR; '83 offsite; '94 CBR; '02 Residence Inn; '04 CSR; '05 Poly; '05 ASSp/WL; '06 Poly; '07 POR; '07 WL; '08 CSR; '09 Poly; '10 WL; '11 Poly; '11 POR/Poly; '12 CR/Poly; '13 Poly; '14 Quickie at BC;
Carrie772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:58 AM   #2120
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Banana and Butterscotch "Buzz"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink-aholic View Post
Does anyone have the recipe for the Banana and Butterscotch "Buzz from California Grill?

Thanks,
A

Banana and Butterscotch "Buzz" - Caramelized Bananas and Butterscotch Custard Stack with Caramel Sauce, Cocoa Nib and crunchy Plantain
California Grill, Contemporary Resort

Butterscotch Crème Brûlée
16 - 20 servings

7 cups heavy cream
2 Tahitian vanilla beans
12 ounces dark brown sugar
4 ounces water
½ tsp. white vinegar
1 cup heavy cream
1 ounce dark rum
Pinch salt
12 egg yolks

Split the vanilla beans and scrape the seeds from the pods. Add the seeds and the scraped husks to the heavy cream and bring to a boil. Allow the vanilla to steep in the cream for a minimum of 30 minutes.
Combine the dark brown sugar, water, and the vinegar in a heavy saucepan and cook, WITHOUT stirring, to 240°. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining heavy cream, dark rum, and salt.
When the cream and vanilla have steeped enough, strain the cream to remove the husks. Whisk the yolks lightly to blend them. Add the vanilla flavored cream to the beaten egg yolks, slowly, whisking until well combined.
Whisk the butterscotch mixture into the yolk and cream mixture. At this point, time permitting, the crème brûlée base should be rested overnight. Rest the base under refrigeration due to the uncooked egg yolks it contains.
Divide the base equally between 15 shallow gratin dishes set on a very flat sheetpan. Place the pan directly on the deck of a 325° oven and add boiling water to the sheetpan until the water is a ¼ inch below the rims of the dishes. Bake until lightly set. Remove the pan of crèmes carefully from the oven and allow to cool in it. When they have come to room temperature, chill them.

(Different sugar toppings to try if serving on it’s own:
1. Dried brown sugar that is spread on a baking sheet and dry in oven or leave it out for a day or two.
2. In a blender, add brown sugar and blend until not quite a powder. Mix equal portions of granulated sugar and place on sheetpan lined with parchment. Dry in oven at 200° for an hour or so.)

Filo Squares
Yield: 15 each

5 Sheets Filo
½ pound butter
8 ounces Granulated Sugar

Butter first 3 sheets of filo. Brush butter on the 4th and 5th layer then sprinkle with Granulated Sugar. Score 3 X 5 on the entire pile of filo. Bake till golden brown.

Butterscotch Sauce
Yield: 1 cup

1 stick Butter, unsalted
1 cup Brown Sugar

Melt Butter in sauce pan. Add Brown Sugar and melt together, reduce until caramel forms.

Caramelized Bananas
2- 3 bananas, halved lengthwise and cut into 3” lengths
Sugar, for caramelizing

The restaurant dusts the bananas with sugar and caramelizes with a blowtorch. Alternatively, at home, you can roll the bananas in sugar, until coated. Spray cooking spray in a medium size nonstick pan, and heat over medium high heat. Add bananas and sugar. Cook bananas until light to golden brown underneath, about 4-5 minutes (you can lift with a spatula to peak). Be careful not to overcook or burn them (if you smell them browning, or see color in the pan, flip them right away). They should not be too soft. Gently flip bananas over to brown other side, turning heat down to medium. The second side will brown in about one minute. Set aside.

Edit: CG sent the 2 missing recipes so here goes:

Cocoa Nib/Hazelnut Tuile
YIELD: 4 5/8 pounds

16 Ounces Butter
16 Ounces Granulated Sugar
5 Ounces Glucose
5 Ounces Whole Milk
16 Ounces Hazelnut (chopped)
16 Ounces Cocoa Nibs

1. Melt Butter, Sugar and Glucose.
2. Add milk
3. Add chopped Hazelnuts and Cocoa Nibs
4. Form a ball using 100 scoop. Flatten and Bake at 310° for approximately 12 minutes.

FRIED PLANTAINS
YIELD: 40 orders

5 each green plantains; peel keep in natural shape; slice thin #15 on deli slicer
1 ounce coffee-cocoa mix - see batch recipe below

1. Carefully peel 5 green plaintains trying best to retain natural shape. This should be done no earlier than 4:30 pm.
2. Slice plaintains on deli slicer #8 setting down the whole length of the plaintain trying to retain the natural shape. See chef for demo if unsure.3. In batches or 8-10, fry plaintains in fryer @ 350° turning plaintains to ensure crispy coloring evenly throughout chip while trying to keep their natural shape. If unsure see chef for demo.
4. Once plaintains are crispy on both sides let drain on marituffs and season both sides generously immediately so cocoa-coffee mix will adhere.
5. Store on a large plate lined with marituffs for service. Do not wrap.

COFFEE/COCOA MIX FOR PLAINTAINS
YIELD: 26 ounces
1 cup Valrhona cocoa powder
1 cup coffee grounds (fresh grind)
1 cup granulated sugar
¼ cup Kosher salt

Using a clean, dry stainless steel bowl, combine above ingredients and mix together very well to super combine.
Store, covered for up to 7 days.

To Assemble: Spoon Caramel Sauce on the dessert plate. Place the crème brûlée “napoleon” on this (2 squares of Filo that have been filled with Butterscotch Crème Brûlée) and spoon on more Caramel Sauce. Top with 2 slices of Caramelized Banana. Garnish with Cocoa Nib/Hazelnut Tuile, whipped cream and 1 slice of Crunchy Plantain.

*PS - piratesmate - you can probably remove the Blueberry Bliss request from the list. It was a seasonal dessert late last summer/early fall and is off the menu. It's doubtful anyone got the recipe and there's not much point keeping it on the request list
Regarding: 1439 & 1516: Jungle Juice page 97 - the Boma and Tusker House recipe are the same.

Can our resident chef tell us what a marituff is? - as in
Quote:
Once plaintains are crispy on both sides let drain on marituffs

First visit to WDW in 1976. Many times since then.

Last edited by Tatania; 04-29-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Tatania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:17 AM   #2121
milmore104
My DH is "Dusty Boots"

milmore104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:55 AM   #2122
piratesmate

Thanks for the notes Tatania. I'll update the list accordingly today.

Mongolian Ginger Beef
Recipe courtesy Epcot Catering

Black Bean Garlic Sauce:

¼ c canola oil
¼ c fermented black beans rinsed and drained*
2 Tbl minced garlic
1 c chicken broth
2 Tbl soy sauce
¼ c rice wine*
2 tsp sugar
1 Tbl cornstarch
2 Tbl water
1 c soy sauce
1 Tbl chopped fresh garlic
¼ tsp sesame oil
1 tsp ground black pepper
2 lb beef flank steak
½ c julienne red peppers, about 3-inch long strips
½ c julienne green peppers
½ c julienne onions
1 c broccoli florets, blanched
1 c black bean garlic sauce
Green onions, for garnish
Steamed jasmine rice, for serving

[Note: *Fermented black beans and rice wine are readily available in Asian markets.]

For black bean sauce: Heat a wok or heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil, black beans and garlic. Stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the chicken stock, soy sauce, rice wine, and sugar. Bring mixture to a boil stirring often. Mix cornstarch with water to create a slurry. Add to mixture and stir until sauce thickens.

For Mongolian Ginger Beef: Combine soy sauce, chopped garlic, sesame oil and black pepper in a large mixing bowl and whisk together. Slice flank steak on a bias, approximately 1/8-inch thick. Add to marinade, cover, and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours.

Lightly oil Mongolian grill or wok. Grill the beef for 2 minutes. Add the peppers, onions, and broccoli. Continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes until beef is cooked throughout. Add sauce and toss with beef mixture. Coat well and remove from heat. Garnish beef with green onion straws and serve with steamed jasmine rice.

"This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results."

<Source> Food Network obviously ^

= = = = = = =
Lemon Chicken
Morocco, Food & Wine Festival 2003

2 large onions, chopped
½ c olive oil
2 whole chickens, split into 4 halves
1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped fine
1 Tbl ginger
1 tsp fresh garlic, chopped
1 tsp salt
1 tsp white pepper
1 drop yellow food coloring
1 pinch saffron
½ c green olives
½ gal water
3 lemons, sliced and pickled (fresh lemons can be substituted)

In medium stock pot, sauté onions in olive oil. Add chicken and all other ingredients accept water. Sauté for 5 minutes. Add water and boil for 1 hour.

Remove chicken, place on a baking sheet and brown in oven. Reduce sauce until it is syrupy in consistency. To serve, place chicken in a serving dish. Garnish with lemon slices and cover with sauce.

= = = = = = = = = = = =
Dan Dan Noodles
China, Food & Wine Festival 2003

8 oz lo mein noodles
1 Tbl Chopped green onions

Sauce
1 tsp peanut butter
½ tsp sesame paste
¼ tsp sesame oil
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp white vinegar
to taste white sugar
to taste fresh ginger juice
¼ tsp minced garlic
½ cube chicken bouillon
1 tsp chili oil
1 tsp Szechwan peppercorn oil

Cook noodles in hot water until soft, drain, cool and refrigerate.

Mix all sauce ingredients, heating together until blended. Put aside. When ready to serve, top cold noodles with sauce. Garnish with chopped green onions.

= = = = = = = = = = =
Blackened Mahi-Mahi with Pineapple Salsa
Fresh from Florida, Food & Wine Festival 2003

6 Mahi-Mahi fillets, skinless (5oz)
½ c Blackening Spice
1 c Pineapple salsa

Coat fish fillets with blackening spice on both sides. Place Teflon coated
sauté pan on high heat. When pan is smoking hot, place fish in pan and blacken on both sides. Serve with chilled salsa.

[Note: Turn on stove's exhaust fan. When fish is blackened it produces a lot
of smoke.]

Pineapple Salsa

1 medium fresh pineapple, peeled and diced
1 Jalapeño pepper, seeded and very finely diced
1 small red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 small red onion, diced
6 sprigs fresh cilantro, chopped

For salsa, mix all ingredients together and chill.

Last edited by piratesmate; 04-30-2008 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Removed a duplicate recipe - oops!
piratesmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:02 PM   #2123
Tink-aholic
DIS Veteran

banana and butterscotch buzz

Thanks Tatania,

That dessert was amazing. Did not realize all the steps involved, it will be interesting to try. As for your question the plantain was crunchy and a little bit sweet, and I believe the cocoa nib was carmelized.

A
Tink-aholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:23 PM   #2124
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink-aholic View Post
Thanks Tatania,

That dessert was amazing. Did not realize all the steps involved, it will be interesting to try. As for your question the plantain was crunchy and a little bit sweet, and I believe the cocoa nib was carmelized.

A
I've updated it and have to say CG staff were incredibly nice about sending all the steps.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:19 PM   #2125
hoosiergirl7
C-O-L-T-S...that's the way we like to roll...GO COLTS!!!!

Subscribing. I just wish I could find the recipes for the Caesar dressing and remoulade sauce (served with crab cakes) that Narcoossee's uses. Both were so yummy!!!!
April 1986 - offsite/May 1998 - Disneyland Paris/Sept 2002 - POR/April 2003, June 2003, Aug 2003, March 2005 - Disneyland/Sept 2006 - offsite/April 2008 - WL/Oct 2008 - Disneyland/Dec 2009 - Poly/April 2011 - BLT
hoosiergirl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:56 AM   #2126
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Hong Kong Disneyland

I was debating whether to post these as the original directions where so sketchy - due to being seriously lost in translation. But I spent some time on it and think I've sorted it out so it's at least understandable. Since recipes from the foreign DL are so rare I figured this might be interesting - from an armchair cook perspective.
I have an opportinity to go to Hong Kong in October and was debating whether to go to Hong Kong DL but it sounds very small and not that exciting. I'd only go food, LOL.

Seared Australian Lamb Steak and Beef Ravioli with Tomato Coulis
Disney Hollywood Hotel, Hong Kong Disneyland
Yield: 10 serving

1.2kg Australian Q Lamb, Rump Cap On
600 g Australian Wagyu Tender Beef Chuck, diced small
Beef Stock for braising
200 g Onion, chopped
200 g Sh itake Mushroom, finely chopped
50 g Won Ton Skin Wrappers
5gr Saffron
600g Potato, diced
300ml Cream
120 g Parmesan Cheese
400g Broccoli tops, chopped
100 g Green Zucchini, sliced
100 g Yellow Zucchini, sliced
240 g Tomato, peeled and chopped
250g Snow Peas, thinly sliced
1 Liter Tomato Knorr Pronto (Canned Tomato Sauce)
120 ml Red Wine Sauce
220 g Spring Roll Skin, deep fried for garnish

1. Season the lamb and marinate with mire poix herbs.
2. Braise the onion and Beef Chuck in beef stock till cooked through.
3. Season and sauté the chopped ****ake Mushroom.
4. Lay out the won ton skin and spoon the braised beef and mushroom onto the skin. Fold diagonally and seal. It helps to brush edges lightly with water. Add saffron to the beef stock and poach won tons in the stock until cooked through - about 6 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, boil the potatoes; drain and mash with cream and parmesan. Keep warm.
6. Slice and poach the green and yellow zucchini. Chop the Broccoli and boil. Season vegetables and keep warm.
7. Sauté the sliced snow peas and chopped tomato. Season and keep warm.
8. Heat the KNORR Tomato Pronto Sauce until warmed through. This will be used as tomato coulis.
9. Remove lamb from marinade and sear to desired doneness.
10. Line a round mold with the sliced zucchini and spoon the mashed potato and broccoli tips in the middle. Unmold on the plate and top with the cooked beef ravioli.
11. Slice the seared lamb and place on the plate topped with tomato coulis and red wine sauce. Serve the snow peas and chopped tomato on the side. Garnish with a deep fried spring roll skin.

Rosemary Apple Panna Cotta
Disney Hollywood Hotel , Hong Kong Disneyland
(Yield 10 serving)

Champagne Jelly
70g/2.5 oz. Green Apple, cut in small dice
70g/2.5 oz Red Apple, cut in small dice
250 ml /1 cup Champagne
100 g/3.5 oz Gelatin
100 g/3.5 oz sugar

Mango Mousse
80 g/scant 3 oz. mango puree
50 g (3 TBSP + 1 tsp.) cream, - whipped to 80%
20 g/.7 oz Gelatin
30 g/1 oz *White Couverture or Confectioners' Chocolate

Panna Cotta
800 g/ 3 1/3 cup heavy cream
80 g/scant 3 oz fresh rosemary
100 g/3.5 oz. sugar
20 g/.7 oz Gelatin
50 g/ 1 3/4 oz. walnuts, caramelized (use your fav recipe)

Chocolate Truffles
500 g/ 1lb Dark Couverture or Confectioners' Chocolate
500 g/1lb White Couverture or Confectioners' Chocolate
200g/ 7 fl oz. Cream, whisked to 70%

20g/2.5 TBSP Icing Sugar, garnish
10g mint leaves, garnish

Champagne Jelly: Boil the champagne until reduced by 50%. (This seems odd as it ends up being 1/2 cup liquid for the apples and gelatin and about 1 TBSP per serving.) Add sugar and gelatin – if using granulated gelatin, it needs to be rehydrated in a cool liquid before being dissolved in the hot liquid. If using sheet gelatin, immerse sheets in cold water for a few minutes (don't use liquid from the recipe for sheet gelatin), then pick up the soft mass and squeeze excess liquid from it and drop into hot liquid. Let the jelly cool down before putting in the apple dices. Put the apple champagne mixture in the bottom of 10 martini glasses, put into refrigerator and let it firm.

Mango Mousse: 2. Mix the Mango puree, softened gelatin and melted white chocolate with the whisked cream. Spread a layer of Mango White Chocolate Mousse on the Champagne Jelly; put into the refrigerator.

Panna Cotta: If using granulated gelatin, sprinkle gelatin over 2 - 3 Tbsp. water and let stand about 1 minute to soften. Soak the leaf gelatine in cold water. In a saucepan set heavy cream and rosemary set over medium heat. Bring to a full boil, watching carefully, as the cream will quickly rise to the top of the pan. Simmer the cream with rosemary, adding the sugar after 5 minutes and removing the rosemary after 10 minutes. Add softened gelatin and stir to dissolve. Remove from heat. Let it cool down and stir in diced apple (?) and caramelized walnuts. Spread the Panna Cotta on the Mango Mousse and put into the refrigerator again.

Make a ganache by breaking chocolate into small pieces and put in a 2 separate bowls – keeping the white and dark chocolate apart. Bring cream slowly to a light boil. Pour boiling cream over chocolate (half in each bowl) and keep stirring until all the chocolate has melted and the batter is homogenous. You want the ganache to be just thick enough to easily form the truffle balls; You can thicken it by whisking it (the oxygen causes it to thicken) or by putting it in the refrigerator. Using two spoons (or a baking sac) form even and round balls. Place them on parchment or wax paper.

Evenly scatter the chocolate truffle on top of the Panna Cotta making a nice pattern of dark and light. Garnish with icing sugar and mint leaves.

Presentation: Evenly scatter the chocolate truffle on top of the Panna Cotta. Garnish with icing sugar and mint leaves.

* Couverture or confectioners' chocolate is a special kind of chocolate that has more cocoa
butter than regular chocolate, anywhere from 33% to 38% for a really good brand. Normally you need to temper this kind of chocolate to work with it but for the mousse you can melt in the microwave.
Microwave method: Place chopped pieces of chocolate into a microwave proof bowl and heat it in the microwave for 30 seconds. Remove the bowl, stir what you can then return it to the microwave for another 30 seconds. Continue this until the chocolate is just about melted. You might be tempted to increase the time intervals, but remember that warmed
chocolate will keep its shape, even if it is melted, unless it is stirred. Don't judge time on looks alone. When the chocolate is almost completely melted, remove it from the microwave and stir, letting the warmth of the bowl and surrounding chocolate complete the melting.

Last edited by Tatania; 04-30-2008 at 04:08 AM.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:35 AM   #2127
piratesmate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiergirl7 View Post
Subscribing. I just wish I could find the recipes for the Caesar dressing and remoulade sauce (served with crab cakes) that Narcoossee's uses. Both were so yummy!!!!
I've added these to the Request Index. (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1777635 in post #4)

Thanks for the DL Hong Kong Recipes Tatania! I think those are the first I've ever seen. And thanks for working out the instructions for us...what an effort!

And as always, thanks to all the CMs who have made time to answer our requests!

Today's offerings from my files...

SAFARI CRUNCH
from the Disney Bakery cookbook

1 c butter
½ c brown sugar
2 Tbl maple syrup
2¾ c old-fashioned oats
¼ tsp salt
½ c crispy rice cereal
¼ c chopped walnuts
¼ c raisins
¼ c banana chips (optional)

Preheat the over to 350. Grease 2 13" x 9" baking pans (or 4 pie tins).

Melt the butter, sugar and maple syrup in a large saucepan. Stir in the oats, salt, crispy rice, walnuts, raisins, and optional banana chips so mixture is coated evenly.

Pour into baking pan and even with a rubber spatula. Bake for 13-15 minutes, or until the oats are golden brown. Allow to cool.

Cut into shapes with assorted cookie cutters or break crunch into small pieces and store in an airtight container.

= = = = = = = = = = =
Walt’s Lemon Meringue Pie
Created by Contemporary Resort pastry chef Mary Schaefer, this pie is a Disney classic.
<Source> Family Fun Magazine

For the crust:
1 1/3 c graham cracker crumbs (from 1 sleeve, or 9 large crackers)
2 Tbl sugar
5 Tbl unsalted butter, melted

For the filling:
1 c sugar
1/3 c cornstarch
¼ tsp salt
1½ c water
½ c fresh lemon juice
5 large egg yolks, at room temperature
2 Tbl unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into pieces
Grated zest from 1 lemon (about 1½ Tbl)
½ tsp vanilla extract (optional)

For the meringue:
3 large egg whites at room temperature
¼ tsp cream of tartar
6 Tbl sugar

To make the crust:
1. Break up the graham crackers and place in a food processor. Process the crackers with the sugar for about 20 seconds, or until the crackers become fine crumbs.
2. Add the melted butter and pulse about 10 times, just until incorporated. (If you do not have a food processor, you can crush the crackers in a zip-lock bag with a rolling pin, whisk in the sugar, then stir in the melted butter.)
3. Using your fingers, press the mixture into the bottom of a 9-inch pie pan and up the sides. Be sure to press the bottom thoroughly so that the crumbs are evenly distributed. Set aside.

For the filling:
1. In a medium non-reactive saucepan, stir together the sugar, cornstarch, and salt until well combined.
2. Whisk in water and juice. Scrape the corners to incorporate all the dry ingredients.
3. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat for about 7 minutes, or until the mixture comes to a boil.
4. Boil, whisking constantly, for 1 minute, until mixture thickens and generously coats a spoon. Remove from the heat.
5. In a medium bowl, whisk the yolks well. Temper the yolks by whisking in about ½ cup of the hot lemon pudding.
6. Scrape the warm yolks into the hot pudding, whisking to blend in the yolk mixture before the eggs overcook.
7. Return the lemon pudding to the stove over the lowest heat and stir constantly for about 4 minutes.
8. Remove from the heat and add the butter, zest, and vanilla. Stir until the butter is completely melted.
9. Set the filling aside to cool for 30 minutes before spooning it into the graham cracker crust.

Make the meringue:
1. While the filling is cooling, Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until they hold stiff peaks.
3. Beat in the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Continue to beat until very stiff but not dry.
4. Spoon the lemon filling into the graham cracker crust. Smooth with a small spatula or the back of a spoon.
5. Cover the filling with the meringue, creating peaks and swirls with the back of a spoon. Make sure that the meringue touches the edge of the pie shell all the way around.
Bake until the meringue is golden, about 12 to 15 minutes. Allow the pie to cool at room temperature for 1 hour, and then refrigerate until completely cold.
To loosen the crust from the pan, carefully dip into a pan of warm water. The butter on the outside of the crust will start to melt, and the slices will come out intact.

= = = = = = = = = = =
Chris’s Cold Pie
This cool, lemony creation, from the files of Walt Disney's wife, Lillian, was named in honor of their first grandchild, Christopher Disney Miller.
<Source> FamilyFun.com

4 eggs, separated, at room temperature (see "Note" below)
½ c fresh-squeezed lemon juice
½ c water
1 Tbl unflavored gelatin
½ c sugar, plus another ½ cup
¼ tsp salt
1 Tbl grated lemon rind
1 9-inch prepared graham cracker piecrust
½ tsp fresh-grated nutmeg

1. In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks with lemon juice and water until combined.
2. Mix gelatin, ½ cup of the sugar, and salt in the top of a double boiler.
3. Pour in the egg yolk mixture and blend well.
3. Cook, stirring constantly, over simmering water for 10 minutes.
4. Stir in lemon rind. Let sit for 20 minutes over a bowl of ice cubes, stirring occasionally.
5. Remove from ice when mixture is thick enough to form a mound when dropped from a spoon.
6. Beat the egg whites in a large bowl until soft peaks form.
7. Gradually add the remaining ½ cup of sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until stiff peaks form.
8. Gently fold the gelatin mixture into the egg whites until just combined. Turn into the piecrust. (See Walt's Lemon Meringue Pie recipe above if you prefer to make a graham cracker crust.)
9. Dust the top with nutmeg and chill for several hours.
Note: There is always a risk of food poisoning when cooking with raw eggs. The yolks in this recipe are cooked, and you may substitute liquid pasteurized egg whites for the raw whites.

= = = = = = = = = = = = =
Grilled Chicken Pizza
Artist Point, Wilderness Lodge Resort

1 lb pizza dough (available pre-made in the dairy section at your local supermarket), divided into four pieces
1 lb boneless chicken pieces (grill to add smoky flavor)
Olive oil
½ c chopped red pepper (sauté in olive oil and set aside)
½ c chopped onion (sauté in olive oil and set aside)
¼ c chives
8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese

Prepare the charcoals for grilling with the coals glowing hot. Roll each piece of dough out to approximately 1/8-inch thick. Brush lightly with olive oil on both sides. Place directly on the grill grate. Checking with a spatula, grill until the bottom is golden brown and the top starts to bubble (about 5 minutes). Using 2 spatulas, turn dough over. Top evenly with mozzarella, chicken, peppers, onions and chives. Place lid on grill for approximately 6 minutes, or until the bottom is golden brown and cheese is melted.

= = = = = = = = = = = =
Little Nutty Chicken Salad
Whispering Canyon Café, Wilderness Lodge

6 oz lettuce mix
1½ oz Tillamook cheddar cheese
3 oz roasted walnut vinaigrette dressing
1 oz candied walnuts
1 grilled chicken breast

Prepare the roasted walnut vinaigrette dressing and candied walnuts as directed. Toss lettuce mix in the dressing and place in a serving bowl. Top with cheese and candied walnuts and top with grilled chicken.

Roasted Walnut Vinaigrette Dressing

¼ lb roasted walnuts
4 oz honey
3 oz onions
4 oz white vinegar
8 oz olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Spread walnuts on a baking sheet and place in the oven at 350°F until golden brown. Place the walnuts in a food processor with the honey, vinegar and onions, and mix until smooth. Add olive oil in increments, mixing well between additions. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Candied Walnuts

8 oz walnuts
4 oz maple syrup

Mix walnuts and maple syrup. Spread on baking sheet and place in oven at 350°F until golden brown. Cool and reserve for garnish.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Sake Kasu Halibut
from Artist Point Restaurant, Wilderness Lodge

4 to 6 fresh Alaskan halibut filets (8-oz each)
2 c sake (Japanese rice wine)
4 Tbl brown sugar
1 tsp kosher salt
8 whole chives
1 c soy glaze (recipe below)

Rinse halibut filets and place in a small container. Blend the sake, brown sugar and kosher salt together. Pour over the filets so the marinade covers them completely. Let marinate 12 hours. Remove filets from marinade and grill over a charcoal grill until the fish is firm to the touch. Just before serving, brush with soy glaze. Garnish with 2 whole chives laid across the fish.

Soy Glaze

½ c apple juice
½ c light soy sauce
½ Tbl cornstarch

Mix apple juice and soy sauce. Stir in cornstarch. Bring to a low simmer until the glaze has slightly thickened and the starchy taste is gone.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:44 AM   #2128
disneyfav4ever
No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.

Does anyone know the recipe for the pomegrante bbq pork chop at Kona?
Old 04-30-2008, 01:17 PM   #2129
greeneeyes
Mouseketeer

Love the Little Nutty Chicken Salad!!
greeneeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:35 PM   #2130
TwingleMum
DIS Veteran

I've searched and couldn't find it. Does someone please have the recipe for the chili at the Yacht and Beach Club?? My 7 yr old inhaled many bowls while we were there. I'd like to surprize him. Thanks.
TwingleMum is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: