Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 621 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:15 AM   #1951
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Panko Shrimp with Mango Sauce

Quote:
CURRY PASTE Equivalents given are my calculations.

1/16 qt Olive Oil (¼ c)
¼ lb Red Pepper
1/16 qt Fresh Ginger Root (¼ c)
1/16 qt Garlic Cloves (¼ c)
1/16 c Ground Turmeric (1 Tbl)
1/16 c Ground Cinnamon (1 Tbl)
1/16 c Ground Cumin (1 Tbl)
1/16 c Ground Cardamom (1 Tbl)
1/16 c Ground Coriander (1 Tbl)
1/16 c Cayenne Pepper (1 Tbl)

Puree peppers, fresh garlic, and ginger in a Robot Coupe. Heat olive oil in non-reactive pan. Add in puree and simmer for one hour. Then remove pot from heat and add all other ingredients. Puree again until smooth. Allow to cool to room temperature. Puree with a blender and run through Food Mill.

Cool, cover and refrigerate in jars for up to one week.
I see we share a lot of the same favourite Disney recipes piratesmate, but this one was interesting to me as I only had the Curry Paste and not the Coconut Curry sauce it goes with. Glad I got that one sorted

For comparison purposes here's the Curry Paste recipe I have:

Curry Paste - Boma
1 cup Olive Oil
3 each Red Peppers
¼ cup Ginger Root, fresh
¼ cup Garlic Cloves
2 tablespoons Ground Turmeric
2 teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
2 teaspoons Ground Cumin
2 tablespoons Ground Cardamom
2 tablespoons Ground Ginger
½ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper

1. Heat oil in a non-aluminum pan. Add peppers, garlic, and ginger. Simmer for 20 minutes.
2. Toast spices – turmeric, cinnamon, and cumin. Add all the spices to the peppers.
3. Remove from heat and drain off oil.
4. Puree in food processor until smooth. Cool, cover, and refrigerate up to one week.

In that one the peppers and garlic are not pureed before cooking.

I agree that many Disney recipes are astoundingly high in cream, butter and oil (which is why they taste so good), and I often try to cut back the calories on many of them.

For example, tonight I made the Panko Shrimp with Mango Sauce (I'll post below as I see we don't have it on the index), and I deep-fried half of them (for my son) and broiled the rest for myself. I tried one of the deep-fried ones for comparison purposes, and really couldn't tell much difference in taste or texture. BTW, Panko breadcrumbs (used everywhere in Disney recipes) have half the fat, calories and sodium of regular bread crumbs. I made the dish as a main course and the Mango Sauce was refreshing and made a nice contrast to the breaded shrimp.
On the weekend I made the Celtic Chique (p 117) and it's a fairly basic roasted chicken on pan fried chard. It wouldn't be special enough for a company dinner - at least not for me. I have a few more Disney recipes on this week's menu so will report on those.

I rarely take pictures of my Disney dishes as my old digital camera doesn't really take pictures inside and the last thing I'm thinking of when serving up dinner is taking a picture I did take this one however.

PCH Grill (Disneyland’s Pacific Hotel) (Chef Bill Orton)
Serves 4 as an appetizer.

Panko Shrimp
1 cup Japanese panko bread crumbs
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup flour
16 large shrimp (1 oz. each), tails on, peeled and deveined
3 whole eggs, beaten
16 6-inch wooden skewers
Canola or peanut oil for frying

First, season the bread crumbs with salt and pepper. Next, lightly flour the shrimp. Then, dip each one into the beaten eggs and coat lightly with bread crumbs. Set the shrimp aside while you prepare the mango sauce.

Mango Sauce
2 fresh, ripe mangoes, peeled and pitted
1/2 cup water
1 red bell pepper, seeded
1 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
1 tsp. chopped fresh ginger
1 tsp. *Sriracha-style Thai chili sauce (available in Asian markets)
1 tsp. lime juice
1 tsp. sugar
Salt to taste

Put 1 mango in a blender with the water, and puree. Place the puree in a mixing bowl and set aside. Finely dice the remaining mango and the bell pepper and add to the mango puree. Stir in the remaining ingredients and salt to taste. Place the shrimp on the skewers and straighten them out. Deep-fry the shrimp a few at a time, in 350-degree oil. Each batch should take 2 to 3 minutes. Serve with the mango sauce for dipping and a salad of mixed greens.
*hot, red Thai sauce with jalapanos and garlic.

First visit to WDW in 1976. Many times since then.

Tatania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:39 AM   #1952
TheGoofyMama
I've been to WDW too many times to count, I've also been a cast member twice *0*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatania View Post
I see we share a lot of the same favourite Disney recipes piratesmate, but this one was interesting to me as I only had the Curry Paste and not the Coconut Curry sauce it goes with. Glad I got that one sorted

For comparison purposes here's the Curry Paste recipe I have:

Curry Paste - Boma
1 cup Olive Oil
3 each Red Peppers
¼ cup Ginger Root, fresh
¼ cup Garlic Cloves
2 tablespoons Ground Turmeric
2 teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
2 teaspoons Ground Cumin
2 tablespoons Ground Cardamom
2 tablespoons Ground Ginger
½ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper

1. Heat oil in a non-aluminum pan. Add peppers, garlic, and ginger. Simmer for 20 minutes.
2. Toast spices – turmeric, cinnamon, and cumin. Add all the spices to the peppers.
3. Remove from heat and drain off oil.
4. Puree in food processor until smooth. Cool, cover, and refrigerate up to one week.

In that one the peppers and garlic are not pureed before cooking.

I agree that many Disney recipes are astoundingly high in cream, butter and oil (which is why they taste so good), and I often try to cut back the calories on many of them.

For example, tonight I made the Panko Shrimp with Mango Sauce (I'll post below as I see we don't have it on the index), and I deep-fried half of them (for my son) and broiled the rest for myself. I tried one of the deep-fried ones for comparison purposes, and really couldn't tell much difference in taste or texture. BTW, Panko breadcrumbs (used everywhere in Disney recipes) have half the fat, calories and sodium of regular bread crumbs. I made the dish as a main course and the Mango Sauce was refreshing and made a nice contrast to the breaded shrimp.
On the weekend I made the Celtic Chique (p 117) and it's a fairly basic roasted chicken on pan fried chard. It wouldn't be special enough for a company dinner - at least not for me. I have a few more Disney recipes on this week's menu so will report on those.

I rarely take pictures of my Disney dishes as my old digital camera doesn't really take pictures inside and the last thing I'm thinking of when serving up dinner is taking a picture I did take this one however.

PCH Grill (Disneyland’s Pacific Hotel) (Chef Bill Orton)
Serves 4 as an appetizer.

Panko Shrimp
1 cup Japanese panko bread crumbs
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup flour
16 large shrimp (1 oz. each), tails on, peeled and deveined
3 whole eggs, beaten
16 6-inch wooden skewers
Canola or peanut oil for frying

First, season the bread crumbs with salt and pepper. Next, lightly flour the shrimp. Then, dip each one into the beaten eggs and coat lightly with bread crumbs. Set the shrimp aside while you prepare the mango sauce.

Mango Sauce
2 fresh, ripe mangoes, peeled and pitted
1/2 cup water
1 red bell pepper, seeded
1 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
1 tsp. chopped fresh ginger
1 tsp. *Sriracha-style Thai chili sauce (available in Asian markets)
1 tsp. lime juice
1 tsp. sugar
Salt to taste

Put 1 mango in a blender with the water, and puree. Place the puree in a mixing bowl and set aside. Finely dice the remaining mango and the bell pepper and add to the mango puree. Stir in the remaining ingredients and salt to taste. Place the shrimp on the skewers and straighten them out. Deep-fry the shrimp a few at a time, in 350-degree oil. Each batch should take 2 to 3 minutes. Serve with the mango sauce for dipping and a salad of mixed greens.
*hot, red Thai sauce with jalapanos and garlic.

The Cured Pork Loin recipe was different from mine too. One is a serving for 8 and the other was a serving for 10, The ingredients were the same but the measurements were different of course.
I saved both LOL
I'm such a recipe junkie

TheGoofyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2008, 08:51 AM   #1953
greeneeyes
Mouseketeer

Those shrimp look so yummy!

As for making things lighter, I try to do that all the time. I usually use fat free half and half in place of any cream that is called for and lower fat versions of any ingredient I can.

I made the Buttered Asparagus with Hollandaise Sauce
Raglan Road Restaurant, Downtown Disney (page 128) and it came out perfectly! Not substitutions this time though.
greeneeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:17 AM   #1954
Candid
Mouseketeer

NEWS ON LYNNINPA!!!!!

I just received a reply from one of Lynn's children and she's fine!!!

She has actually be working on a cook book for the school she works at so she has been spending alot of time on that.

Candid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:47 AM   #1955
apostolic4life
Chef Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candid View Post
NEWS ON LYNNINPA!!!!!

She has actually be working on a cook book for the school she works at so she has been spending alot of time on that.

Great news!!!! I am so happy to hear all is well...I am glad nothing was wrong!!!

Where we've been:Aug. 2004 - CBR : Aug. 2004 - DCL : Dec. 2005 - POP : Nov. 2006 - Poly : Dec. 2007 - Off Site : Mar. 2009 - Off Site : May 2010 - Off Site : Jan. 2011 - POR : Feb./Mar. 2012 - Off Site
Where we're going: Dec. 2012 - Off Site
Me: DW: DD18: DD9: DD6:
DS3:
apostolic4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:02 PM   #1956
disney54us
SHE'S GONE, OH MY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candid View Post
NEWS ON LYNNINPA!!!!!

Great news!!!!! Glad nothing was wrong, hope she knows were getting moved!

I've been unbirthday'd

tiggerfan1

THERE IS A DREAM IN PA MISSING
THERE SHE GOES! WAITING
SPARTANS NEVER DIE

1929-2008
disney54us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:15 PM   #1957
TheGoofyMama
I've been to WDW too many times to count, I've also been a cast member twice *0*

Talking Griddled Pound Cake with Pecan Caramel Sauce

Liberty Tree Tavern
Lake Buena Vista, Florida

Griddled Pound Cake with Pecan Caramel Sauce

Pound Cake

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2-teaspoon baking powder
1/4-teaspoon salt
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter; softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 large eggs, at room temperature for 30 minutes
1-teaspoon vanilla
1/2-cup whole milk, at room temperature
Method: Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously butter and flour loaf pan, knocking out excess flour.
Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Beat together butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes in a stand mixer or 5 with a handheld. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, and then add vanilla. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture and milk alternately in batches, beginning and ending with flour and mixing until just incorporated. Spoon batter into loaf pan and bake until golden and a wooden pick or skewer inserted in center comes out with crumbs adhering, 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Cool cake in pan on a rack 30 minutes, then invert onto rack and cool completely.
Cut a piece of pound cake into a size you like. Brush the pound cake with butter and heat using a griddle or a non-stick saute pan until both sides are golden brown. Serve with the heated Pecan-Carmel sauce and any ice cream flavor you would like.
PECAN SAUCE

Heavy Cream 1/2 cup
Light Brown Sugar 1 cup
Butter (softened) 1/2 cup
Chopped Pecans ¼ cup.

Method: In saucepan over low heat combine heavy cream and light brown sugar. Stir until brown sugar is dissolved. Add butter a little at a time and stir until all ingredients are well combined. Stir 2 more minutes. Remove from heat and add chopped pecans.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:12 PM   #1958
greeneeyes
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoofyMama View Post
Liberty Tree Tavern

Pound Cake

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2-teaspoon baking powder
1/4-teaspoon salt
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter; softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 large eggs, at room temperature for 30 minutes
1-teaspoon vanilla
1/2-cup whole milk, at room temperature
Method: Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously butter and flour loaf pan, knocking out excess flour.
Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Beat together butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes in a stand mixer or 5 with a handheld. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, and then add vanilla. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture and milk alternately in batches, beginning and ending with flour and mixing until just incorporated. Spoon batter into loaf pan and bake until golden and a wooden pick or skewer inserted in center comes out with crumbs adhering, 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Cool cake in pan on a rack 30 minutes, then invert onto rack and cool completely.
Cut a piece of pound cake into a size you like. Brush the pound cake with butter and heat using a griddle or a non-stick saute pan until both sides are golden brown. Serve with the heated Pecan-Carmel sauce and any ice cream flavor you would like.
PECAN SAUCE

Heavy Cream 1/2 cup
Light Brown Sugar 1 cup
Butter (softened) 1/2 cup
Chopped Pecans ¼ cup.

Method: In saucepan over low heat combine heavy cream and light brown sugar. Stir until brown sugar is dissolved. Add butter a little at a time and stir until all ingredients are well combined. Stir 2 more minutes. Remove from heat and add chopped pecans.
That sounds wonderful!!
greeneeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 02:20 PM   #1959
my3disneygirls
I have never had the disire to try anything with such a colorful name

Thanks Mods! I don't see a problem with the thread being watered down. It is titled Disney Recipe Exchange. I'm sure the Disney lovers on the cooking board will *** lots of Disney recipes.
my3disneygirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:01 PM   #1960
TheGoofyMama

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneeyes View Post
That sounds wonderful!!
I was thrilled to get it so quickly and happier to post it here for those who wanted it.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:49 PM   #1961
disneyloveNY
Why Can't We Live In DisneyWorld!!!!

Does anyone have the recipe for Narcoossee's scalloped potatoes. I have not been able to find them here.
Thanks

Poly 2001,2003,2004
Swan 2002, GF 2002
PBH 9/06
GF/ PBH 12/21-12/29/06 fantastic trip!!!
Yacht Club 4/6-4/10/07 What a great place
HRH/YACHT CLUB 7/25/07-8/1/07:
WL/HRH/Disney Wonder 1st cruise everWOW!!! 2/14-2/25/08 WL/PBH 7/8-7/16/08
Yacht Club 12/13-12/16:
YC/DCL Magic Eastern 8/27-9/5:
Disneyland/GCH 4/19-4/25/11 wonderful!!!
disneyloveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 01:34 AM   #1962
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney54us View Post
Great news!!!!! Glad nothing was wrong, hope she knows were getting moved!
*Happy Dance*!! Hope she lets us know how she's doing.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:42 AM   #1963
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoofyMama View Post
Liberty Tree Tavern

WOW - this was the single most requesed recipe and it hopefully makes these 4 people very happy! I'll be trying it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwingleMum View Post
I would love the Griddled Poundcake dessert from Liberty Tree anyone have that one????
Quote:
Originally Posted by upon-a-star View Post
I just learned grilled pound cake is no longer on the menu at Liberty Tree...anyone have a recipe?
Mary
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellablue View Post
LTT: Butter Griddled Pound Cake - I was wondering if anyone has this recipe? Also, pics of this dessert?
TIA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dseth View Post
Anyone know how to get the grilled poundcake dessert from Liberty Tree Tavern (served only at lunch)? TIA

Last edited by Tatania; 04-04-2008 at 02:05 AM.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:43 AM   #1964
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyloveNY View Post
Does anyone have the recipe for Narcoossee's scalloped potatoes. I have not been able to find them here.
Thanks
You're the second request for this recipe so I'll give my contact there a shout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus20 View Post
Does anyone have the recipe for the unbelievable Baileys and Jack Daniels Mousse with chocolate ganache topping? We had this last week at the Coral Reef Restaurant and it is unbelievable.

Another delicious sounding dessert, with thanks to the Coral Reef.

Bailey’s and Jack Daniels’s Mousse
The Coral Reef Restaurant, Epcot

Ingredients for Bailey’s Mousse
1 pound white chocolate
5 each of egg yolks
1/8 cup Bailey’s (liquor)
1/4 cup gelatin
1 cup heavy cream

Method of Preparation

1. Cream egg yolks.
2. Whip heavy cream (not too stiff).
3. Melt chocolate in double boiler.
4. Dissolve gelatin in boiling hot water, add to chocolate.
5. Add Bailey’s to chocolate, blend well; add yolks and fold in.
6. Fold whipped cream into chocolate.
7. Spray molds inside with baking oil, sprinkle with sugar, put all on one tray, and store in freezer until mousse is ready.

Ingredients for Jack Daniels Mousse
1 pound dark chocolate
5 each egg yolk
1/8 cup Jack Daniels (liquor)
¼ cup gelatin
1 cup heavy cream

Method of Preparation

1. Cream egg yolks.
7. Spray molds inside with baking oil, sprinkle with sugar, put all on one tray, and store in freezer until mousse is ready.

Preparation for each dessert plate
4 ounces of Bailey’s mousse
4 ounces of Jack Daniel’s mousse
1 each cigarette décor
Fresh blueberry
Raspberry sauce (raspberry jam with water to make sauce depending on thickness you prefer

1. Place the Bailey’s mousse on one side of place.
2. Place the Jack Daniel’s mouse on the other side.

Last edited by Tatania; 04-04-2008 at 01:53 AM.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:07 AM   #1965
TheGoofyMama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatania View Post
You're the second request for this recipe so I'll give my contact there a shout.

Another delicious sounding dessert, with thanks to the Coral Reef.

Bailey’s and Jack Daniels’s Mousse
The Coral Reef Restaurant, Epcot

Ingredients for Bailey’s Mousse
1 pound white chocolate
5 each of egg yolks
1/8 cup Bailey’s (liquor)
1/4 cup gelatin
1 cup heavy cream

Method of Preparation

1. Cream egg yolks.

Ingredients for Jack Daniels Mousse
1 pound dark chocolate
5 each egg yolk
1/8 cup Jack Daniels (liquor)
¼ cup gelatin
1 cup heavy cream

Method of Preparation

1. Cream egg yolks.

Preparation for each dessert plate
4 ounces of Bailey’s mousse
4 ounces of Jack Daniel’s mousse
1 each cigarette décor
Fresh blueberry
Raspberry sauce (raspberry jam with water to make sauce depending on thickness you prefer

1. Place the Bailey’s mousse on one side of place.
2. Place the Jack Daniel’s mouse on the other side.

Nice picture!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: