Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 596 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:13 PM   #1906
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerKat View Post
I sent an e-mail to Admin to see if there was anything they could do, no answer yet. I'm very concerned.
The Admin I was told to contact is Pumbaa_ who is one of the Mods for the Restaurant section. I PMed him/her last Monday saying I had an updated index and request list and it just needed to be pasted over the exisiting one. There were concerns expressed about copyright infringement regarding the recipes but I responded by pointing out the many websites post Disney recipes without crediting the source and the fact that we usually name our source - whether that's a cookbook, newspaper/magazine or Disney itself.
I think we're actually doing Guest Relations a favor because for every requested recipe that people find here it's one less request WDW and the Chefs have to deal with. We know that Disney is wonderful about sharing its recipes and I applaud them for it. Most places are not as generous. I also appreciate these requests may take a lot of their valuable time - so I think we're offering a useful service.

Anyway, if anybody would like to contact a Mod you can let them know that Pumbaa_ has been informed about our situation on this thread and I'm really hoping we'll get some help from a Mod this week. In the mean time I'm e-mailing the Index and Request list to anyone who wants it.

First visit to WDW in 1976. Many times since then.

Tatania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:15 PM   #1907
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmetts View Post
hmm.. no coconut flan recipe yet. I responded to the address given but they haven't answered me yet.
It can take weeks to get a response and during busy periods - like the summer - you can pretty well forget it, . For some of my requests, I had to write a couple times, and I made sure to mention the name of the server and/or general manager who promised me the recipe when I was there.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-31-2008, 06:02 PM   #1908
jacobsmom00
DIS Veteran

Old 03-31-2008, 07:14 PM   #1909
Abby's Dad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatania View Post
The Admin I was told to contact is Pumbaa_ who is one of the Mods for the Restaurant section. I PMed him/her last Monday saying I had an updated index and request list and it just needed to be pasted over the exisiting one. There were concerns expressed about copyright infringement ....
Quite honestly, I am surprised that the DIS board continues to allow this thread, as there is blatant copyright infringement taking place here on a daily basis. There are recipes being extracted from the various Disney cookbooks that are posted here - it doesn't matter whether acknowledgement is given as to their source - they are the property of Disney, and rather than just acknowledgement of source, you need formal written permission to post each and every one of them. And it is Disney's right, if they so choose, to receive financial compensation for each such posting. Barring that, the posters who are posting Disney recipes without specific written permission and the DIS are setting themselves up for a very expensive bump in the road. The same goes for the recipes that are sent by Disney - unless permission was asked to post to this group (and granted in writing), they are given by Disney for the personal use of the requestor. You don't need to do Disney a favor by cutting down on the requests - they add recipes to cook books based on requests received. Having been on the receiving end of a cease and desist order for alleged copyright violation, the financial threat can be very sobering. As for me - I have neither posted here, used any other recipes here, and I think I'll exit before the frying pan heats up.
WDW: October 1976 - Offsite, January 1979 - CR, September of 2007 - POFQ, Christmas 2011 - CR, MNSSHP and F&W - October 2012 - AKV, Flower & Garden - April 2013 - BLT, and MNSSHP and F&W - October 2013 - BLT (our DVC home resort) AKV-Kidani.
Abby's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:29 PM   #1910
Pumbaa_
Hakuna Matata!
My first attempts at gravy required slicing
It probably got lost in the scrolling

DISboards Moderator

I am not sure what you are looking for admin to do regarding a poster who has stopped posting

People leave internet boards for many reasons. PC's go down, work gets busy, illness comes into play, there are so many reasons. Unless and until Amy returns, I am not sure what you are looking for from the site webmasters.

Regarding modifying someone else's posts, we try not to do that. Given a situation like this, well it is unique and the mods on this board have not run into it before. We are discussing what is the best way to handle it and weighing the options. Once we decide what approach we want to take, we will share with everyone.

Thank you for your patience,
Restaurant Board Mods
Old 03-31-2008, 08:15 PM   #1911
apostolic4life
Chef Grumpy

Freeze, put your hands up and step away from the recipe!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby's Dad View Post
Quite honestly, I am surprised that the DIS board continues to allow this thread, as there is blatant copyright infringement taking place here on a daily basis. There are recipes being extracted from the various Disney cookbooks that are posted here - it doesn't matter whether acknowledgement is given as to their source - they are the property of Disney, and rather than just acknowledgement of source, you need formal written permission to post each and every one of them. And it is Disney's right, if they so choose, to receive financial compensation for each such posting. Barring that, the posters who are posting Disney recipes without specific written permission and the DIS are setting themselves up for a very expensive bump in the road. The same goes for the recipes that are sent by Disney - unless permission was asked to post to this group (and granted in writing), they are given by Disney for the personal use of the requestor. You don't need to do Disney a favor by cutting down on the requests - they add recipes to cook books based on requests received. Having been on the receiving end of a cease and desist order for alleged copyright violation, the financial threat can be very sobering. As for me - I have neither posted here, used any other recipes here, and I think I'll exit before the frying pan heats up.

FYI, recipes are not copyrighted material; the printed books compiling recipes are copyrighted against reproduction of their publication for sale. If the posters were scanning actual pages then posting the copyrighted pages for profit from a published book, Disney would then have a course of action much like the action taken against Kinko's in the late 80's for copying sections of published text books, and selling them to students under the description of "course works". Since the recipes here are neither being sold or scanned copies from the actual printed, copyrighted work there should be no problem. Also, this posting of the recipes would fall under fair use waivers that apply to copying published works; this protection is written into copyright law so people do not have to fear legal action for limited, non-money making use of printed material.

Do not fear my friends here on the Recipe Thread..........we are not in danger of legal action for our trading of recipes. The thought is absolutely ridiculous.

Oh yeah Abby's Dad, does it really bother you we are here trading recipes??? It seems you have some ought against this thread. Feel free to use the recipes and share some of your own.....we will not report you to the feds.

Where we've been:Aug. 2004 - CBR : Aug. 2004 - DCL : Dec. 2005 - POP : Nov. 2006 - Poly : Dec. 2007 - Off Site : Mar. 2009 - Off Site : May 2010 - Off Site : Jan. 2011 - POR : Feb./Mar. 2012 - Off Site
Where we're going: Dec. 2012 - Off Site
Me: DW: DD18: DD9: DD6:
DS3:
apostolic4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:20 PM   #1912
JerseyBelle
Mouseketeer

What you in for Mac? Grand Theft Auto, you? Recipe swapping. Nabbed me making a chocolate souffle. I was cooked. They caught me with the chocolate and vanilla sauce running down my chin.

Check out my Magical Easter Cruise Report 2008
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1772939
Disney Magic - March 2008
Disney Wonder - November 2006
JerseyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:23 PM   #1913
apostolic4life
Chef Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatania View Post
Anyway, if anybody would like to contact a Mod you can let them know that Pumbaa_ has been informed about our situation on this thread and I'm really hoping we'll get some help from a Mod this week. In the mean time I'm e-mailing the Index and Request list to anyone who wants it.

Maybe we could just post updated info here as a new post. Then people would just reference the new page for indexing and request lists. Just a thought.

Where we've been:Aug. 2004 - CBR : Aug. 2004 - DCL : Dec. 2005 - POP : Nov. 2006 - Poly : Dec. 2007 - Off Site : Mar. 2009 - Off Site : May 2010 - Off Site : Jan. 2011 - POR : Feb./Mar. 2012 - Off Site
DS3:
Old 03-31-2008, 08:40 PM   #1914
Pumbaa_
Hakuna Matata!
My first attempts at gravy required slicing
It probably got lost in the scrolling

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by apostolic4life View Post
Maybe we could just post updated info here as a new post. Then people would just reference the new page for indexing and request lists. Just a thought.

Please don't. We are discussing a different solution and just need to come to a decision.

Also, please do not be rude or sarcastic to other posters.

thank you,
Old 03-31-2008, 08:47 PM   #1915
TheGoofyMama
I've been to WDW too many times to count, I've also been a cast member twice *0*

Talking Lmbo `` Too Funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBelle View Post
What you in for Mac? Grand Theft Auto, you? Recipe swapping. Nabbed me making a chocolate souffle. I was cooked. They caught me with the chocolate and vanilla sauce running down my chin.
Thanks for the much needed laugh!

TheGoofyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:44 PM   #1916
disney54us
SHE'S GONE, OH MY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby's Dad View Post

Good one!!! Did you have a bad day today??? Or year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumbaa_ View Post
I am not sure what you are looking for admin to do regarding a poster who has stopped posting

People leave internet boards for many reasons. PC's go down, work gets busy, illness comes into play, there are so many reasons. Unless and until Amy returns, I am not sure what you are looking for from the site webmasters.

Regarding modifying someone else's posts, we try not to do that. Given a situation like this, well it is unique and the mods on this board have not run into it before. We are discussing what is the best way to handle it and weighing the options. Once we decide what approach we want to take, we will share with everyone.

Thank you for your patience,
Restaurant Board Mods
We thank you for looking into this. I am sure the co-mod who was first contacted from another forum, known to be helpful, explained exactly what our concerns were. We are quite aware that people 'get busy' or leave the boards. I will not get into the boaring details with a explaination as I am sure this was passed onto you from the other mod. As we have explained this is not some hidden secret board, giving out or selling WDW trade secrets. If anyone reads the board they will see that we have 'relationships' with chef's and or CM's who are fully aware what we are doing with the recipes they are giving us. I would doubt that they would risk their jobs, if it was against 'the rules'. It is a WDW/DL policy to publish or share the recipes. When I am given a recipe from a restaurant in WDW their is nothing on the print out that states: this is the property of_____ you may not reproduce this recipe, etc, etc. Or you may not share this recipe with others. I think some may need to understand the poster who states copyright comes in when you are reproducing to sell for money. As long as Disney is generous with sharing their many wonderful recipes with the world, after all isn't that what Disney is about, making everything for everyone wonderful. Re: typing them is not plagerism. I would have to wonder if it is allowed by Disney to have forums going on giving reviews about food and restaurants by people who have no food critic credentials and yet can sway millions who go on those forums what restaurants are good or bad. At least on this thread they know the recipes are those Disney has decided to share with the public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apostolic4life View Post
FYI, recipes are not copyrighted material; the printed books compiling recipes are copyrighted against reproduction of their publication for sale. If the posters were scanning actual pages then posting the copyrighted pages for profit from a published book, Disney would then have a course of action much like the action taken against Kinko's in the late 80's for copying sections of published text books, and selling them to students under the description of "course works". Since the recipes here are neither being sold or scanned copies from the actual printed, copyrighted work there should be no problem. Also, this posting of the recipes would fall under fair use waivers that apply to copying published works; this protection is written into copyright law so people do not have to fear legal action for limited, non-money making use of printed material.

Do not fear my friends here on the Recipe Thread..........we are not in danger of legal action for our trading of recipes. The thought is absolutely ridiculous.

Oh yeah Abby's Dad, does it really bother you we are here trading recipes??? It seems you have some ought against this thread. Feel free to use the recipes and share some of your own.....we will not report you to the feds.

, was wondering where you were. Who was going to give me help on my soup recipes. Oh, are we allowed to share??

I've been unbirthday'd

tiggerfan1

THERE IS A DREAM IN PA MISSING
THERE SHE GOES! WAITING
SPARTANS NEVER DIE

1929-2008
disney54us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:00 PM   #1917
apostolic4life
Chef Grumpy

Quote:
Please don't. We are discussing a different solution and just need to come to a decision.

thank you,

Uh....ok, but when another poster comes forward and basically (and wrongfully) accuses an entire forum of posters of illegal activity (which is not illegal) no admonition is given?? I am not understanding that.

As for Abby's Dad, if you are offended by attempt at humor in any way please forgive me. But what I stated about copyright law is accurate.

Thank you Pumbaa_ for setting me straight and keeping me in line......sometimes I just say what is on my mind.....DW gets on me about that too.

DS3:
Old 04-01-2008, 01:28 AM   #1918
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Quote:

thank you,
I appreciate that you're looking into this for us. Short of calling lynninpa at home to see what's going on (something I don't feel right about doing), we have no way of knowing what happened to the thread's founder and we have no way of updating the Recipe Index or the request list. I think my suggestion of starting 2 new posts, then moving them to the first page in place of the existing posts is still the best solution, as it means I can continue to update things without bothering a Mod every time.

Quote:
Freeze, put your hands up and step away from the recipe!!!!

Just got in from a LONG day at work and this was exactly the belly laugh I needed. You guys are hilarious.

At the risk of being repetitive, I understand the concerns of copyright infringement because we all know how fussy Disney can be about it. I shared those concerns initially and was nervous about posting recipes that Disney chefs had sent me because I didn't want them to get angry and cut me off the next time I asked.

On my last visit there in January, I made it a point to let both the servers and the chefs know that I was collecting recipes on behalf the DisBoard membership and that I would be posting them. I requested recipes from places I didn't eat at and requested recipes for dishes I didn't order (because they were on our request list) - so I pretty well had to explain why. I asked the chefs/servers if they wanted their names mentioned as acknowledgment – and some said OK, whereas others were embarrassed by the thought. Once I posted the recipes I sent the link the post, with a thanks, to the chefs who had helped me and I'd be happy to forward those e-mails as proof to any MOD who needs to see them. I can guarantee you, if anyone would have had a problem with this, they could have ordered me to remove the posts because I included my phone number, workplace, and of course, Email.

I can also guarantee, that Disney would have shut down several websites including AllEars.net, WDW Recipes, The Luxury Guide to DISNEY etc. if posting recipes was illegal. Again, I appreciate DisBoards concerns but I'm satisfied that we’re not doing anything wrong. The only thing I'm doing wrong is eating too much good Disney food and not sticking to my WW program!

Last edited by Tatania; 04-01-2008 at 01:45 AM.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:58 AM   #1919
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Roma Tomato Sauce

Between June and October, I'm going on 4 trips - and because I love to try the local cuisine when I travel I need to take off the excess winter pounds before then. The Disney Cruise Line chefs use this sauce for many culinary creations but at home it's delicious tossed with pasta or spaghetti squash - if you're counting calories.

Roma Tomato Sauce
Lumiere's, Animator's Palate, Parrot Cay, Disney Cruise Line
Yield 4 - 6

2 cans (28 oz each) whole plum tomatoes
5 fresh plum tomatoes
2 small onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons brown sugar
4 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
4 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons water
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

1. Preheat the oven to 325°F
2. Strain the canned tomatoes and reserved liquid. Place strained tomatoes on a baking sheet together with the whole fresh tomatoes, and roast for 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a separate pan, sauté onions and garlic in olive oil until translucent. Add the juice from the canned tomatoes, the brown sugar, and the chopped basil, and bring to a simmer.
4. Remove tomatoes from oven. Cool slightly. Peel the fresh tomatoes, then seed and cut into 1/2" chunks. Add, along with the canned tomatoes, to the onion and garlic mixture. Thicken with cornstarch mixture to keep the sauce from separating, and simmer 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:08 AM   #1920
Tatania
Disney Foodie

High Plains Granola

Healthy, though not low in calories.

High Plains Granola
Storytellers Café, Grand Californian Hotel, DL
Yield 4 - 6 servings

2 cups whole grain oats
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup pepitas (raw green pumpkin seeds) or shelled sunflower seeds
Zest from 1 orange
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup golden raisins

1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. In 2-quart bowl combine oats, almonds, pepitas, orange zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. Combine the honey, sugar, and oil in a small saucepan over low heat until the sugar is melted. Pour the melted mixture into the dry mixture and toss to coat. Spread onto a cookie sheet and toast in the oven for about 30 minutes, tossing every few minutes with a spatula. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Fold in raisins.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: