Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2004, 12:47 PM   #31
bytheblood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by LoriZH
Great tips I totally agree especially the water!

Don't read magazines with food in them, pick up a good book and get involved especially during your "weak" hour of the day.
Does this mean I should cancel my subscription to Bon Appetit? I love to cook.
bytheblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 12:49 AM   #32
kkmauch
"Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with facts!"

QUESTION

I am perhaps the world's biggest fan of White food. I love white rice, mashed potatos, white bread, flour tortillas, etc...help me!
I know I should switch to something else, but I honestly want to keep them in my diet, I think I would go insane without them! Suggestions?

Upcoming trips: October 2014 SSR
Recent trips: Aug 2013 CBR - Sep 2013 POR - Nov 2013 Pop - Mar 2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean - May 2012 SSR-THV - Nov 2011 OKW GV and Disney Dream - Sep 2011 AS-Sports - Dec 2010 SSR - Oct 2009 POFQ
displansforyou.com - facebook.com/displansforyou
kkmauch is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-27-2004, 02:46 PM   #33
angey77
DIS Veteran

Re: QUESTION

Quote:
Originally posted by kkmauch
I am perhaps the world's biggest fan of White food. I love white rice, mashed potatos, white bread, flour tortillas, etc...help me!
I know I should switch to something else, but I honestly want to keep them in my diet, I think I would go insane without them! Suggestions?
For white bread, I like the Nature's Own Healthline Light white bread. Two slices is 80 calories total and unlike most light white breads, it does not taste like cardboard. I have one sandwich per day at work.
Don't totally deprive yourself of foods you love or making your diet a life-long commitment will be impossible in the long run. Just eat everything in moderation. MODERATION is the key word.
A great place to see what foods have what calories is this website, Calorie Lab. Just adjust your diet to balance those little splurges every now and then.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:10 PM   #34
minmate
I can show you the world... Don't you dare close your eyes!
I mostly just like the pretty colors

Often, I pack a soft sided cooler w/healthy food/snacks for dh to take to work... I'd put in a piece or two of fruit, items such as celery w/pb, hard boiled eggs, cooked , cut up chicken, etc... and he can just pick and choose what he wants throughout the day. Then, when he gets home, all he eats is dinner, and he's had healthy food during the day w/o having to really think about it.

It's worked so well, that when I've had busy days, I do the same for myself and then even if I'm still at home, I just leave the cooler on the kitchen counter and know that I can only eat what's in there for the day (except for dinner, which I usually don't have premade yet). It makes it simple and if I don't feel like having what I had "planned" to at that moment (since I like to plan out my meals), I can just find another healthy snack in the cooler w/o rummaging through the cabinets full of temptations.

April 2005 WDW Trip Report: WDW w/4 Kids: 4/5/05-4/12/05 http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=794269

March 2007 Trip Report to DL: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....275&highlight=
minmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 01:59 PM   #35
keenercam
Wishes she were Mickey's girl
Would settle for looking like Tinkerbell instead of Winnie the Pooh

Can I add a tip or two?

Thanks for the GREAT tips! I think I can add two:

1. Buy desirable nutritious foods! I find I have to surround myself with healthy eating options that appeal to me. For example, instead of just having celery in the fridge, I make sure that I have a lite dressing or lite cream cheese or lite peanut butter to dip it in.

2. Whenever you are cooking something that takes time, cook it in quantity and put extra servings of it in the fridge and freezer in pre-measured containers. For example, diet coke chicken -- I did a HUGE saucepan of it with 10 small breast portions in it -- I put a couple of the breasts in my fridge and the rest in the freezer -- the extra portions are a Godsend when I don't feel like cooking. I just did the same thing with 8 turkey burgers cooked w/mushrooms, onions, and a little A-1 sauce. And I especially like to cook large quantities of turkey or vegetarian chili.

Good luck everyone!
Old 01-27-2005, 03:24 PM   #36
disgal1
Mouseketeer

I lost 20 lbs for my wedding 24 years ago and have kept it off.

This is what worked for me then, and I continue to eat this way....

I don't skip any meals,
eat off salad plate...no seconds.
eat 6 times a day 3 "meals" 3 "snacks"
don't eat past 7pm

when I go out to eat, I skip the bread, don't even let them bring it to the table, get a salad, soup ,and appetizer as my entree. I split a desert, but always get it to go, and eat it the next day in the afternoon, followed by a walk.
I don't deprive myself of any food. I say eat anything, but not everything!
Cut down, not out.

Moderation, walking, water , balance. That is something you can live with.
Drink a big glass of water while cooking or preparing your meal.
I don't eat anything "non fat" , lots of time they are loaded with sugar .

For me , if I know there isn't anything I can't have, I don't really crave anything, and there really is no cheating.
If I feel like I'm hungry after I've eaten, I drink a glass of water,, and wait 30 minutes. if I'm still hungry, I'll eat another salad. ( I love salad)

This way of eating has worked for me for 24 years, I hope some of these tips might help someone else. I also know this won't work for everyone ( my husband being one of them! )
disgal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 03:59 PM   #37
angey77
DIS Veteran

Those are some awesome tips disgal!
I like variety in my meals, so the soup, salad and appetizer sound great.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:28 PM   #38
cinmell
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there LOVES U2 & COACH bags

disgal1, great tips, I especially like the one about eating off of a salad plate and not even allowing the server to bring bread to the table when dining out. Thanks for your tips, I plan on trying them out!

~~My husband never thought anyone would read my post nevermind respond to it!~~
cinmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 08:08 PM   #39
disgal1
Mouseketeer

Glad you guys liked the tips,
I forgot to say by 3 meals, i meant SMALL meals, and snacks mean healthy snacks, (my favorite is a few wheat thins and thin sliced swiss cheese, or a small spoonful of peanut butter with a half a small banana.

The "diet" was in good housekeeping back in the early 80"s and was called the 6 meal a day diet. It really worked for me. I think the diet part was to divide the amount of calories you want in a day (calorie intake you need for your goal) into 6 portions. Putting the higher calorie foods in the early part of the day. You end up eating something about every 2- 3 hours. ( 7am to 7pm) After the first week, I really didn't seem to be hungry,

I forgot to add, if I'm really craving something....like chocolate cake, I'll have 1 or 2 mini snickers.( the really small ones) THAT's IT. It satisfies me, I don't feel guilty, and haven't done much damage. After having done this for years, I don't think I could eat a whole one! Costco has a lot of mini deserts. the little mini cheesecakes are about 2 bites, but that is all it takes! or a little mini pecan tart. Honestly, when you know you can have one of these little sweets once a week or so, you just don't get all hung up on having them...

Also, I love orange juice, and grape juice, but cut it with half water. I know, yuk, but I got used to it really fast. started out with only a little water, and built up to half. Still can't bring myself to drink skim milk , but have gotten down to 1%, but that's it.

I had tried every diet out there to loose weight , back then we had the no carb diet too, all of my fellow nurses were on that at the same time, and man were we a grouchy bunch! Plus none of us could stick to that. After working a 4 night stretch of 12 hour night shifts, nothing tasted better than a good half of a waffle!(syrup on the side for dipping the fork in every few bites ; )

the only other tip that has worked for me is I take the stairs if less than 5 flights. Even on Vacation and especially a nice Disney Cruise( I actually lost 3 pounds) I Never take the elevator! Luckily, I still have good knees!
disgal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 06:01 PM   #40
kdtwiss
Mouseketeer

a couple I find useful

Here are a couple I have found helpful to me.
I don't /haven't ever done anything fancy such as Atkins or carb free or sugar free so they may not be helpful to those of you who are! I am just beginning to try to lose weight again after a rather long sabatical. I guess I just didn't care....but the thought of these flabby arms in a bathing suit at Disney makes me crazy!!
For me I KNOW I have an issue with my metabolism. Could be thyroid, mom has chronic thyroid issues - but I think more just a slow metabolism. Eating drains my energy. Every meal make me feel , well, like you know how you feel after Thanksgiving? Even sugar - some people get a buzz - not me - nearly puts me to sleep. Doesn't stop the craving tho....
Anyway - years back when I originally lost weight and another time also I foud that - brace yourselves this is gross- mixing apple cider vinegar (very small amount) in with a big glass of water somehow helps my body digest the food. I don't feel like I have to sleep every time I have a meal or snack (not that I EVER nap with 4 kids!) I use Bragg's raw unfiltered with my water and it really does help!
If I can not have that (if out or at someone else's house) only water with food. NO exceptions. Wine after dinner fine - with no. I don't know why again - but it does seem to help!
Be realistic - when starting the diet - give yourself one day a week where you can "cheat" w/o chiding yourself.
Then move onto one day a month. I find it easier to stay on a diet if I know I have something to look forward to.
More later but wanted to introduce myself (and give myself a pep talk!)
kdtwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 01:36 AM   #41
Rizel
Mouseketeer

Great tips!

Here a couple of my own that work for me
1) Nibble, i eat thing extremely slowly because i like to take little nibbles of my food, especially things like chocolate etc, i really take the time to savor it and let it melt in my mouth. Than i'm done my craving and i might at most only have about the size of a chocolate chip. With things like dinner i take smaller bites and i really chew it out, when i'm ready to swallow i chew another 20 bites. It makes it easier to digest and your forcing your stomach to feel the food before it asks for more.

2) Get Lots of sleep! It really helps

3) When i'm just lying in bed in the morning, i do a couple crunches/situps they are easier on a mattress and really energize you for the morning.

4) If you had a huge sugar/ice cream craving try the sugar free version, they are usually at least 1/2 the calories. 110mls of caramal almond crunch (sugar free by ultimate) is only 88 calories. 2 pecan delights by russel stoven (sugar free) they are like turtles and only 75 cals each.

5) Cup a soups are extremely low cal, especially if you buy the carb watcher ones, they are like 15-30 cals per cup.

6) If your craving something, Eat it! so many times i'll try to deter my cravings with something healthy and then in the end, end up eating that and whatever i'm craving plus some.
Rizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 10:53 AM   #42
Leota94
Earning My Ears

Thanks for all the great tips. They really helped me stay on track.

Leota94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 01:29 PM   #43
Andrea
DIS Veteran
I couldnt decide which one to do first, come check here or the coupons
The Tag Fairy thinks Andrea rocks too!

Very good ideas, i just got one of those things you add to your shoe to tell you how many steps you take and wow do they add up
Old 02-25-2006, 06:19 PM   #44
stahshee
wheres my Camero?

EAT WITH A BABY SPOON THIS WILL MAKE THE FOOD SEEM TO LAST LONGER
Old 03-13-2006, 02:05 PM   #45
Goofygirls4God
Mouseketeer

I like the baby spoon idea!

But also, I find that if I slow down on eating-really chew and taste my food...I enjoy it more and eat less...my portions have really shrunk!

I eat for 10 min. take a little break(2-5 min. talking or powder my nose) then eat until my stomach says Comfortably Full!
My world as a homeschool mom-
Dad's off to workthe early morning

school

Praise the Lord!They understand!School over!
Goofygirls4God is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: